HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers at Capitals. 7:00 p.m. ET 12.13.11

Old
12-14-2011, 05:27 AM
bonzaibondra12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian23 View Post
What are we, like 8 games in?

Its OBVIOUSLY Hunters fault. Its not as if EVERYONE was saying "Its gonna take awhile to rebuild their fundamentals" when Hunter came in. I think they fact they started looking good again got people's hopes up.
It is a personnel issue. We have too many fringe players. Where are the power forward prospects? GMGM just drafts skill players.

We have pieces of value for others. We need a quicker power forward to put with OV and take a shot at Suter.

bonzaibondra12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
During the intermission Hamrlik when asked about Orolv mentioned trying to teach him some words. Is Czech close to Russian?
Both slavic languages. It's not close but you can manage to understand some. Some czechs could have learned it in school btw. Maybe Hamrlik is one of them?

Polish is much closer to Russian but if you can understand Polish you can then understand some Czech. Kinda like that.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:44 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Until the roster chemistry/player mix is fixed it doesn't matter who is coaching. We can focus on what needs to be fixed, or obsess about something that can't be proven until the first is addressed.
Actually it does matter. Overall the quality of play has been better; maybe we need roster tweaks, but it was clear as day that Bruce was inadequate to take us to the promised land. Whether Dale is nor not remains to be seen; way too early.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:44 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

At game last night. Pre-game skate both teams on ice and there's Hamrlik exchanging pleasantries at center ice with his fellow Czech Voracek. During game, stoppage in play and there's Hamrlik shoulder to shoulder yaking it up with Briere.

This team needs the likes of the late Montreal Canadien, John Ferguson.

"What Curry saw was John Bowie Ferguson, with menace implicit in his eyes. What he saw was Ferguson, who had scored 38 goals and 40 assists with the American Hockey League's Barons the preceding season, fire a puck at a teammate's head when he saw him exchanging pleasantries with an opponent during a pregame warmup. What he saw was enough for the Canadiens to purchase his rights from the Barons for cash."

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:58 AM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
@everyone, I've been saying Hunter was wrong from before he was hired, Hunter had no meaningful experience or pedigree of success. No idea what it takes at this level.
That I disagree with. There is nothing in hockey that Dale Hunter "has no idea" about. Hockey also, more than any other sport is trial and error with coach/team combinations. It may work out, it may not. Just like with anyone else they might have hired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
and that it was a personnel problem since last may.
That may be true

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 07:59 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
At game last night. Pre-game skate both teams on ice and there's Hamrlik exchanging pleasantries at center ice with his fellow Czech Voracek. During game, stoppage in play and there's Hamrlik shoulder to shoulder yaking it up with Briere.

This team needs the likes of the late Montreal Canadien, John Ferguson.

"What Curry saw was John Bowie Ferguson, with menace implicit in his eyes. What he saw was Ferguson, who had scored 38 goals and 40 assists with the American Hockey League's Barons the preceding season, fire a puck at a teammate's head when he saw him exchanging pleasantries with an opponent during a pregame warmup. What he saw was enough for the Canadiens to purchase his rights from the Barons for cash."
That just isn't how the game is anymore. Look how many Redskin players are friends with Cowboys or Eagle players. Hell Portis, Moss and Sean Taylor used to hang publicly with TO and go to his birthday parties.

I'm with you tho. I wish players were like that but it's just not gonna happen anymore.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:02 AM
txpd

something nobody considers is the possibility that bruce overproduced with the roster he has had. he fell one game short of the ecf with morrisonn, jurcina and pothier on his defense and a goalie with under 20 nhl games on his resume. he finished first in the east and won a round of playoffs with all those rookies in prime roles and the team changing from offense first to defense first.

maybe once his message ran out of time, that what you have left isnt as good a team as you thought it was.

i'll admit that i liked the idea of hunter. i suggested hunter going back to before bruce was hired. i watch them play and wonder what he is thinking. it goes back to being down a goal to the pens with 7 minutes to go in the game and he chooses to keep his checking line on the ice after a pens icing call. the pens had used their timeout and were stuck. this is prime for getting your guns on the ice. he didnt. last night it was trapping when down 4 goals.

its like he is not coaching to win.

i also really wonder about a team that is supposed to be both a primary trap team who is also supposed to be a tenacious forecheck team with an explosive offense.

what i saw last night really gave me pause. if the caps are supposed to be taking on hunter's physical, challenging, fighting style of hockey, a game v the flyers after winning two straight games you would think would bring their biggest play to the table. instead i saw semin hitting and forechecking, but no one else. i didnt see the caps fiestiest players being fiesty at all. i saw no emotion and little energy.

it was very disappointing

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:17 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Hockey players seem largely tired with their profession. Its a turdload of skating and hard work, make no mistake. And looking at other teams boards, there are seemingly endless complaints about players. You know what, these are the modern day players, especially one that signed the big contract, he doesnt facking care anymore. Even a guy playing for a contract, doesn't seem compassionate at all about the game, nil compared to lets say oh the Dale Hunter era. Did coaches have to beg players to be upset when they lost in the 1980's? I dont think so, you could see players angry at losing, pissed at getting hit and finally saying, I have had enough, on every team, almost every night.

The players seem almost completely emotionless compared to 1985. Guys that fight, really arent mad nor even have a real beef. We are not even talking fighting. Scrums per caps game must be less than 1. What has changed? The game has evolved a LOT in the past 10 years, and its the players behaving differently. I presume they have been told to play clean.

Its like big pharm has somehow made it required for people to take a pill to have emotions. If not big pharm, I will blame Pepe.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
something nobody considers is the possibility that bruce overproduced with the roster he has had.
In the regular season, which can be very much a double-edged sword from a self-evaluation standpoint.

There are games when this team plays with negligible timing with one another and this was one of them. It's pretty awful and something that makes it very hard to expect this team to go anywhere with that level of sloppiness. It's December but the foundation remains suspect regardless of approach.

But, again, it's all on McPhee. The only off-season moves that look somewhat decent are Brouwer and the thrifty Halpern reunion.

I don't think Hunter is a bad coach necessarily. I think this style of play doesn't suit this roster, especially up front, and the longer McPhee takes to realize that and make moves to align the personnel with the style the worse they'll fare against teams that have their possession game in order. If McPhee didn't realize such changes would be necessary then he's worse than I thought.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:26 AM
txpd

i would disagree with the idea that only brouwer and halpern have been successful. you can make a case that signing ward and extending both chimera and laich have been a collective home run. they check the opposing top line well and they are all producing at or above their career bests offensively.

the only problem with them is that they are being relied on to make the big critical offensive plays and that is not in their job description. they are in the chip one in now and again catagory. if chimera or laich dont score right now, the caps dont win. i am looking right back at ovechkin. semin was hitting and trying to snipe last night, but ovechkin wasnt. ov has a good game where he scores a goal. then a good game where he doesnt score. rather than keep the momentum going, he disappears and all the good feelings he produced with the goal against ottawa have been spent.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
But, again, it's all on McPhee. The only off-season moves that look somewhat decent are Brouwer and the thrifty Halpern reunion.

I don't think Hunter is a bad coach necessarily. I think this style of play doesn't suit this roster, especially up front, and the longer McPhee takes to realize that and make moves to align the personnel with the style the worse they'll fare against teams that have their possession game in order. If McPhee didn't realize such changes would be necessary then he's worse than I thought.
Hindsight is 20/20.

It seemed like everyone had the Caps pegged for the Stanley Cup Finals when they signed Vokoun. The Varlamov trade was nice as well.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Yeah, this game produced even more questions than answers...
Is Vokoun a real #1 on the contending team? Can Neuvy pick up the slack? Where the **** is the leadership? Where is that guy we used to see dominate the game all by him self, regardless who he played with? Where were the unsung heros of the team like Ward, Laich, Brouwer, Chim, MoJo. Whats up with playing 1-2-2 down 3,4 goals? Are we really this bad (12th in the conference with 1 game in hand)? Never mind the Cup, at this point is this really a PO team? Is this team really worth for me to drink almost a bottle of vodka on the school night and than deal with a ****ing hangover the day after?

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:40 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Hindsight is 20/20.

It seemed like everyone had the Caps pegged for the Stanley Cup Finals when they signed Vokoun. The Varlamov trade was nice as well.
most people overrated the vokoun thing.
a. vokoun has no playoff resume which meant come playoffs he was an unknown quantity. in the regular season the caps really didnt need to improve in the net. facts are that the caps playoff goaltending has been no worse than vancouver's the last several years.

b. nobody focused on the huge pressure that vokoun was going to carry. this is his first real shot at playoff success. its both a one shot deal with the capitals and its a contract season where his future depends on his play. how's he handling that?

i have been waiting for a goalie injury to change the dynamic. if vokoun were to miss two weeks, i think neuvirth takes the job away from him. if neuvirth gets hurt and holtby gets in the lineup, i thnk the same could happen. i think its also possible that if vokoun got to play every game for a month, it might be good for him.

at some point here soon, hunter is going to sit vokoun and give neuvirth some games in a row.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

These players are making me tired.

Make a trade Mafki. Spice it up.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:41 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I for one don't have a problem with Dale being stubborn and sticking with a trap when losing, so early in his tenure, with our team struggling to find itself. We give up a deflection goal and then a soft goal, do you expect him to change course at what is trying to do, which is instill a basic defensive system? Let's try and learn next game, but only if we score first. Let's all go cherry picking woo hoo! Party is over, Wermer dropped the big one.

Did you say over? Not so fast. Dale is not going to stick with the trap every period all year. Team Spokesperson Laich (TSL) has already said Dale has been changing it up. He probably doesnt like the early returns on the 122, but rest assured, no long term Cap here was so good at it, we can put it in our back pocket for later if we get a 3-0 lead in a playoff game.

We are back to basic training folks - our team was a facking mess and we all know it. Bruce took the fall but thats what GM's do since its never their personnel moves, I am sure. Now, players don't get to fly the F-22 because they got stuck going over the first hurdle in week 2 of boot camp. No siree, there is a new sheriff in town and yep you will get tired of seeing our stars covered in mud.

Dale sees the hard working part of the team now are the good ole plumbers. The rest, led by Ovi and Semin and the G's, far too inconsistent to design a team around.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:43 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I for one don't have a problem with Dale being stubborn and sticking with a trap when losing, so early in his tenure, with our team struggling to find itself. We give up a deflection goal and then a soft goal, do you expect him to change course at what is trying to do, which is instill a basic defensive system? Let's try and learn next game, but only if we score first. Let's all go cherry picking woo hoo! Party is over, Wermer dropped the big one.

Did you say over? Not so fast. Dale is not going to stick with the trap every period all year. Team Spokesperson Laich (TSL) has already said Dale has been changing it up. He probably doesnt like the early returns on the 122, but rest assured, no long term Cap here was so good at it, we can put it in our back pocket for later if we get a 3-0 lead in a playoff game.

We are back to basic training folks - our team was a facking mess and we all know it. Bruce took the fall but thats what GM's do since its never their personnel moves, I am sure. Now, players don't get to fly the F-22 because they got stuck going over the first hurdle in week 2 of boot camp. No siree, there is a new sheriff in town and yep you will get tired of seeing our stars covered in mud.

Dale sees the hard working part of the team now are the good ole plumbers. The rest, led by Ovi and Semin and the G's, far too inconsistent to design a team around.
Was?

Is.

Make a trade.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:48 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
it goes back to being down a goal to the pens with 7 minutes to go in the game and he chooses to keep his checking line on the ice after a pens icing call. the pens had used their timeout and were stuck. this is prime for getting your guns on the ice. he didnt. last night it was trapping when down 4 goals.
You've said this like 5 times now.

WHAT GUN?

Which one of our "guns" are producing?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Why does Colorado do this? Stastny is slumping anyways... hasn't been good for 2 years. Don't really want him.

I think that if we can get Bourque without giving up Semin we give that a shot. Gives us a decent 2nd line Winger to play with mojo and semin.
So has Semin. It's exactly the type of trade we'll be looking at with Semin. Someone elses trouble who needs a change of scenery. There was a time when that wasn't the case and the return would have been a lot better, but those times are long gone...thank McPhee.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:57 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
These players are making me tired.

Make a trade Mafki. Spice it up.
After last night's performance you would have to trade a whole lot.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:57 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Was?

Is.

Make a trade.
damnit i knew there was a ****up in that long winded rant.

Its early though, and I personally have a low expectation bar. It wasn't like when Bruce took over, sitting at rock bottom, really the only way to go was up. Bruce had us up for a long time, but flatlining near the top for years now. So there is a lot of downside potential before we go up again, any coach coming in here faced that. And you know what tanking now is probably for the best. Shake the bad apples out of the tree. Is Johnny Appleseed going to toss those bad apples into the neighbors yard, or let them rot?

+1, it' s time for George to step in and pull a stunt. We can't even add, so we need a big ole roster trade.

Old
12-14-2011, 08:58 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Im still sticking with removing the largest piece of the cancer and hoping the chemotherapy takes care of the rest.

Just need to find a sucker to take 28.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:02 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
i would disagree with the idea that only brouwer and halpern have been successful. you can make a case that signing ward and extending both chimera and laich have been a collective home run. they check the opposing top line well and they are all producing at or above their career bests offensively.

the only problem with them is that they are being relied on to make the big critical offensive plays and that is not in their job description. they are in the chip one in now and again catagory. if chimera or laich dont score right now, the caps dont win. i am looking right back at ovechkin. semin was hitting and trying to snipe last night, but ovechkin wasnt. ov has a good game where he scores a goal. then a good game where he doesnt score. rather than keep the momentum going, he disappears and all the good feelings he produced with the goal against ottawa have been spent.
Let's not pretend like the Chimera and Laich contracts were a stroke of genius or somehow a coup...Chimera is having a career year where his shooting % is basically executing at an absurd rate compared to his norm. He'll likely fall back to reality at some point.

I think the point was all of his aquisitions this summer were decent at best.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:03 AM
tycoonheart

A cancer is someone who disrupts the locker room. Someone who doesn't listen to the coaches or his fellow teammates. There have been no reports, ever, of Semin causing disruption in the lockerroom. Semin's not a cancer. He's a disappointment.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:06 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Last night's problem was goaltending. If you disagree, I'd like you to name me which players (other than the goalie) had a horrific game.

Had Vokoun made some solid saves the team would've performed better. They came out flying and was the better team in the 1st period. We almost played the entire period in their zone for crying out loud. Vokoun's softies completely deflated the team.

Overreaction central in here.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
txpd

down 2-0 early in the 2nd period i expect a team to remain with the game plan. it wasnt 2-0 by the 3rd though. you seem to be just fine with playing the system regardless of score is acceptable.

personally, i am waiting for anything that this coach does that you dont agree with.

ov on the point was a terrible thing under bruce. chasing pucks down the ice and all. 8 is right back on the pp point and carlson is on the bench. has dale changed your mind on that subject?