HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers at Capitals. 7:00 p.m. ET 12.13.11

Old
12-14-2011, 09:08 AM
G3 LesPaul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
A cancer is someone who disrupts the locker room. Someone who doesn't listen to the coaches or his fellow teammates. There have been no reports, ever, of Semin causing disruption in the lockerroom. Semin's not a cancer. He's a disappointment.
Irbe right before he left said he was

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:09 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
damnit i knew there was a ****up in that long winded rant.

Its early though, and I personally have a low expectation bar. It wasn't like when Bruce took over, sitting at rock bottom, really the only way to go was up. Bruce had us up for a long time, but flatlining near the top for years now. So there is a lot of downside potential before we go up again, any coach coming in here faced that. And you know what tanking now is probably for the best. Shake the bad apples out of the tree. Is Johnny Appleseed going to toss those bad apples into the neighbors yard, or let them rot?

+1, it' s time for George to step in and pull a stunt. We can't even add, so we need a big ole roster trade.
LOL...you're right about one thing. We're not at the bottom looking up...there's a little room below still and a lot of room above.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:11 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
A cancer is someone who disrupts the locker room. Someone who doesn't listen to the coaches or his fellow teammates. There have been no reports, ever, of Semin causing disruption in the lockerroom. Semin's not a cancer. He's a disappointment.
Not everything that goes on in the room is reported...and Ill take what Bradley and Steckel said as proof that the majority of that room feels a sense of disdain towards that lazy piece of ****...even if they dont say it to the media.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Let's not pretend like the Chimera and Laich contracts were a stroke of genius or somehow a coup...Chimera is having a career year where his shooting % is basically executing at an absurd rate compared to his norm. He'll likely fall back to reality at some point.

I think the point was all of his aquisitions this summer were decent at best.
chimera has been providing a spark since the playoffs. i dont expect him to score 30 or even 20, but without his 11 to this point, the caps would be in serious deep ****. laich is producing at a rate that he has in the past but wasnt last season. i have no reason to believe he is going to regress.

stroke of genius? solid choices

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Unfortunately a lockerroom cancer doesn't have to be a vociferous malcontent to be a distraction.

In the recent past, has Semin not had an issue with the same old errors, the same old lazy penalties? If that's not listening to the coaches, nothing is.

Sometimes a distraction can be someone who is mopey, who thumbs his nose at the coaching staff (by continuing to not execute as coached), who by his mere presence brings down his teammates.

This is what many of us suspect about Semin. We could all be wrong, but the guy has no credibility or benefit of the doubt from anyone other than his biggest fans at this point.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:16 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
chimera has been providing a spark since the playoffs. i dont expect him to score 30 or even 20, but without his 11 to this point, the caps would be in serious deep ****. laich is producing at a rate that he has in the past but wasnt last season. i have no reason to believe he is going to regress.

stroke of genius? solid choices
Solid choices, but they were almost no brainers. I've always liked Chimera's game and never once had an issue with his contract like some here did.

The other deals look horrible other than the Halpy bargain bin deal.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:19 AM
tycoonheart

No one here had problem calling out Bobrovsky and his horrendous goaltending that in part lead to the Caps beating the Flyer's in March last season. I think everyone realized that that was the reason we won that particular game.

What happened last night was essentially the same except we were the ones who had horrendous goaltending.

The Flyers at that point were 2 years into Laviolette's system. They were able to play their game and mount a comeback. We are 8 games in Dale's era. They're learning how to play the way he wants to and he is learning what the players can do. If they can't mount a comeback right now, I'm not too concerned.

This team isn't playing as badly as they did during Bruce's last few games. They looked clueless, no one was in positions, giving up a buttload of odd man rushes... they weren't do anything right. I'm not going to call Dale out at this point unless of course we revert back to how we looked those last few games under Bruce.

Dale gets every god damned benefit of the doubt from me right now.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:20 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Irbe right before he left said he was
Link.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:21 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Last night's problem was goaltending. If you disagree, I'd like you to name me which players (other than the goalie) had a horrific game.

Had Vokoun made some solid saves the team would've performed better. They came out flying and was the better team in the 1st period. We almost played the entire period in their zone for crying out loud. Vokoun's softies completely deflated the team.

Overreaction central in here.
This is missing the bigger issue. The team folded after one soft goal (by the time the 2nd soft goal was let in the game was no longer in question). The goalie has to make that stop, but when he doesn't the team has to be stronger mentally and not just lose their heads.

Goaltending was a problem. To say it was the problem is to say that you had low expectations for the rest of the team and their mental makeup. There were many problems in that game.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:21 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Artus complained about Semin, second hand info from a poster that also said Irbe was leaving before it hit the media, so we all believed the poster. I think Semin didnt like Bruce.

If Ovi is out for extended period, Semin moved in a cap swap, who is our goal scorer anyways, Chimera? Semin has to replaced with a 30+ goal scorer. I think it sucks Semin showed his sack hitting everything that moved, including Ovi, only to end up a -3 in a loss. That Semin, I would keep. He seems to be the only one listening to Dale to hit. Maybe he can get through to Semin.

Is it time to unleash Dale's trump card, the caged animal?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:22 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Vokoun is a hot mess and has been all season. Ward was solid early but has been much more suspect recently. Brouwer has been what we thought, a guy with average hands who hits stuff. Hamrlik was horrid early but has been better of late. Halpern has contributed more than I expected. All in all, not terrible, but not great or even good.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:25 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Not everything that goes on in the room is reported...and Ill take what Bradley and Steckel said as proof that the majority of that room feels a sense of disdain towards that lazy piece of ****...even if they dont say it to the media.
Bradley never made any comments about what the entire room felt about Semin. He said his personal feeling on Semin was that he has the talent but for whatever reason he can't put out the effort day in and day out. Far cry from calling someone a lockerroom/team cancer.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:27 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Unfortunately a lockerroom cancer doesn't have to be a vociferous malcontent to be a distraction.

In the recent past, has Semin not had an issue with the same old errors, the same old lazy penalties? If that's not listening to the coaches, nothing is.

Sometimes a distraction can be someone who is mopey, who thumbs his nose at the coaching staff (by continuing to not execute as coached), who by his mere presence brings down his teammates.

This is what many of us suspect about Semin. We could all be wrong, but the guy has no credibility or benefit of the doubt from anyone other than his biggest fans at this point.
If a player isn't performing the way the coaches want him to, its up to the coach to right that or to bench him. A player not performing isn't a cancer, in my book. Now if this player is benched and he goes to the media to complain about it and causes a ****storm over it, then you're going into the cancer territory.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:34 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
This is missing the bigger issue. The team folded after one soft goal (by the time the 2nd soft goal was let in the game was no longer in question). The goalie has to make that stop, but when he doesn't the team has to be stronger mentally and not just lose their heads.

Goaltending was a problem. To say it was the problem is to say that you had low expectations for the rest of the team and their mental makeup. There were many problems in that game.
I agree, that the team being deflated after a couple of softies is worrisome.

On the flip side though, sometimes all it takes is a solid save from a goalie to fire up your team.

I think goalie support from the team has been decent the last few weeks. And when a team is struggling, trying to find their way, find their confidence... one of the most important things is good goalie play, and we just haven't gotten that.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:35 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

This reminds me of the 2004 season. We were supposed to contend for the cup, then it all blew up. It's uglier this time though. Back then, a lot of players just started showing their age at once. This is just a cluster****.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
Solid choices, but they were almost no brainers. I've always liked Chimera's game and never once had an issue with his contract like some here did.

The other deals look horrible other than the Halpy bargain bin deal.
the other moves? which are those? hamrlik? Vokoun? who here would not filet mcphee for passing on vokoun at $1.5m? its not working right now, but a bad choice? seriously? does brouwer look horrible? does varly look horrible? which are the horrible?

this mess starts with 8 and would be a minor issue if 8 were the player he should be. Ov is 3rd on the team in goals after playing all the games. he is one point ahead of Wideman and Carlson and two points ahead of Laich. Thats just plain failure. It all goes right to that. If Ov is going to score 25 goals, the Caps are doomed.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
I agree, that the team being deflated after a couple of softies is worrisome.

On the flip side though, sometimes all it takes is a solid save from a goalie to fire up your team.

I think goalie support from the team has been decent the last few weeks. And when a team is struggling, trying to find their way, find their confidence... one of the most important things is good goalie play, and we just haven't gotten that.
The problem is they've gotten some solid (and beyond) saves as well. Huge, would be game-savers that should be able to give them momentum (basically keeping it from getting out of control even if they've already given up a softie) but it doesn't. They don't use the momentum or they just don't let it build in the first place.

This team is mentally fragile right now. Skaters and goaltenders. If it were one or the other, fine, they could support each other. But that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:43 AM
txpd

Quote:
On the flip side though, sometimes all it takes is a solid save from a goalie to fire up your team..
whats your def of solid save? to me solid is routine. that first goal against was a killer because it went in, but unnoticed by everyone if it doesnt. a goalie fires up his team by saving them from themselves. by taking their mistake and stealing a sure goal awy. that can fire them up.

the facts about this past game was that the team was destroyed by a single mistake or a bad bounce. there was no fight there. if hunter is more about instilling the fight than anything else, two wins in a row and a game against a major rival in front of hbo had zero effect. they had no fight in them at all.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Hockey players seem largely tired with their profession.

The players seem almost completely emotionless compared to 1985. Guys that fight, really arent mad nor even have a real beef. We are not even talking fighting. Scrums per caps game must be less than 1. What has changed? The game has evolved a LOT in the past 10 years, and its the players behaving differently. I presume they have been told to play clean.
Its $$, Money, Greenbacks.

You have to wonder what % of players really *want* to make the playoffs.

2 more months of work and no extra pay?

Would you do that at your job?

Hale Dunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post

Not only did they fold, the impact of that softie on their mindset was immediately visible to my eyes. The Flyers started pressing us better after that goal. The last 2 mins of the 1st was spent in our end. It was like the team wilted immediately and of course the Flyers picked up on it pressed us more and more.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:48 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
whats your def of solid save? to me solid is routine. that first goal against was a killer because it went in, but unnoticed by everyone if it doesnt. a goalie fires up his team by saving them from themselves. by taking their mistake and stealing a sure goal awy. that can fire them up.
I don't mean a routine save.

Sorry, should've worded differently.

How about a great save? Something that you wouldn't be mad about if it went in. Something that has a pretty good chance of going in but your goalie makes the save. Saves like those can most definitely fire up a team. And to be honest I don't recall the last time Vokoun made a save of that effect.

Old
12-14-2011, 09:49 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
the other moves? which are those? hamrlik? Vokoun? who here would not filet mcphee for passing on vokoun at $1.5m? its not working right now, but a bad choice? seriously? does brouwer look horrible? does varly look horrible? which are the horrible?

this mess starts with 8 and would be a minor issue if 8 were the player he should be. Ov is 3rd on the team in goals after playing all the games. he is one point ahead of Wideman and Carlson and two points ahead of Laich. Thats just plain failure. It all goes right to that. If Ov is going to score 25 goals, the Caps are doomed.
Um...Hamrlik, Vokoun, Ward. Brouwer/Ward looking the best right now....and they're looking average most nights.

I said it myself, 8, 52, 19, and 28 scoring like they can masked a lot of BS play by this team over the years. They aren't performing and the same old simple mistakes are spotlighted even more without the 1 man shows pulling their ***** out of the fire.

The Brouwer trade is the only move I would call a success at this point, with Ward...he better be a playoff beast like I've seen when I've watched him the last few years in Nashville. Of course if the team doesn't play better, he may not even get a shot at proving that's his specialty.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 12-14-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old
12-14-2011, 09:50 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
Its $$, Money, Greenbacks.

You have to wonder what % of players really *want* to make the playoffs.

2 more months of work and no extra pay?

Would you do that at your job?
Bag skates and staying in bed bug infested motels, or golf, beers and MW3! Like the optional training activities in American Football... fack that!

But the thing I cant wrap my brain around, was that during 1985, I presume guys still got paid healthy sums. Did Stevens not play with emotion after signing with St Louis? Not $$ by today's standards, but salaries have been increasing significantly for the top 1% in seemingly all fields, including all sports. Is this lack of emotion and effort happening to soccers stars, baseballs, footballs? I don't think so.

The more I think about it, the more I blame Lemuiex and his vision of what he wanted the NHL to be. Its a skating marathon, very taxing on the body and mind.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 12-14-2011 at 09:56 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Not only did they fold, the impact of that softie on their mindset was immediately visible to my eyes. The Flyers started pressing us better after that goal. The last 2 mins of the 1st was spent in our end. It was like the team wilted immediately and of course the Flyers picked up on it pressed us more and more.

Nothing has changed...its the players.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 09:55 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Bradley never made any comments about what the entire room felt about Semin. He said his personal feeling on Semin was that he has the talent but for whatever reason he can't put out the effort day in and day out. Far cry from calling someone a lockerroom/team cancer.
"He just doesn't care".....

What does that line mean to you, that everything is peachy?