HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Flyers at Capitals. 7:00 p.m. ET 12.13.11

Old
12-14-2011, 09:58 AM
tycoonheart

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
"He just doesn't care".....

What does that line mean to you, that everything is peachy?
That line means that Bradley thinks Semin doesn't care. Where are you getting this crap about the whole team feeling the same way Bradley does? How do you turn that into Semin being a cancer?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:01 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
That line means that Bradley thinks Semin doesn't care. Where are you getting this crap about the whole team feeling the same way Bradley does? How do you turn that into Semin being a cancer?
I never said the whole team feels that way. I'm sure Ovy and Backstrom don't, they're his buddy.

The only thing we know are from two former teammates, who both shat on Semin in the media. We've seen Bruce throw his hands up and say "I don't know what else to do about him"....

You know the current teammates can't say anything. Draw your own conclusions.

For what it's worth, someone else started using cancer....I just think he's a spoiled brat who Ovechkin probably takes after because they're buddies. I would prefer to eliminate the guy who leads by crappy example.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:02 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
I never said the whole team feels that way. I'm sure Ovy and Backstrom don't, they're his buddy.
I was responding to this comment:

"...and Ill take what Bradley and Steckel said as proof that the majority of that room feels a sense of disdain towards that lazy piece of ****"

Old
12-14-2011, 10:03 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
You honestly don't think the majority of the team doesn't feel that same way about Semin? Really?

Are you that naive?

The 3rd leading scorer on the team goes invisible in the playoffs again...and the rest of the team doesn't feel as if he could be doing more to help the team win? Yeah, he finally showed up against the Rangers...then poof!! Vanished again.

Whatever. Keep thinking he's not a problem.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Vokoun is a hot mess and has been all season. Ward was solid early but has been much more suspect recently. Brouwer has been what we thought, a guy with average hands who hits stuff. Hamrlik was horrid early but has been better of late. Halpern has contributed more than I expected. All in all, not terrible, but not great or even good.
I don't think anyone knows what's wrong, by anyone I mean the Caps front office. It's amazing how good this team can look when it wants to and how awful they look when they clearly don't give two spits.

Look at the October game with the Flyers. On the road, with Giroux and Pronger playing. Ovechkin scores twice, Vokoun stops 40 of 42 shots and the Caps win easily.

Then last night they look like garbage, again. And once again I hear Laich on the postgame show babbling the same broken record comments about needing to work hard, etc...I'm so sick of it.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:10 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

"...and Ill take what Bradley and Steckel said as proof that the majority of that room feels a sense of disdain towards that lazy piece of ****"
Not my comment....can't speak for the author.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:11 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:

Majority and Whole are not the same thing.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:12 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
You honestly don't think the majority of the team doesn't feel that same way about Semin? Really?

Are you that naive?

The 3rd leading scorer on the team goes invisible in the playoffs again...and the rest of the team doesn't feel as if he could be doing more to help the team win? Yeah, he finally showed up against the Rangers...then poof!! Vanished again.

Whatever. Keep thinking he's not a problem.
I do not think that the team thinks Semin is a cancer. I don't think the entire team has "disdain for that lazy piece of ****" like that guy said. Sure his teammates are probalby disappointed that he isn't producing. But I don't buy that the team would secretly rejoice if he were to be traded. I don't believe that for a second, and you can call me naive all you want.

Semin not producing by itself isn't a distraction to the team. I guess my definition of a player being a cancer to the team is different that most of you guys'. Ablert Haynesworth, that guy was a distraction. Getting in trouble with the law, not practicing hard, not doing what the coaches want, not sitting with your coach on the sideline... and the media asking other players question about him all the time. Thats the type of thing that is a major distraction in the locker room. Not what Semin is doing, which is not producing (which can be said about a lot of players on this team right now).

Last edited by tycoonheart: 12-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old
12-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Langway
Intangibles

I thought Morrisonn's comments were the worst of the lot. Taking bets on when a player will feign injury or lay down in practice is Haynesworthian.

A player need not be an outright cancer to be a bad fit, whether by virtue of enabling your immature captain or not being a guy you want to go to war with.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:18 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
I do not think that the team thinks Semin is a cancer. I don't think the entire team has "disdain for that lazy piece of ****" like that guy said. Sure his teammates are probalby disappointed that he isn't producing. But I don't buy that the team would secretly rejoice if he were to be traded. I don't believe that for a second, and you can call me naive all you want.

Semin not producing by itself isn't a distraction to the team. I guess my definition of a player being a cancer to the team is different that most of you guys'. Ablert Haynesworth, that guy was a distraction. Getting in trouble with the law, not practicing hard, not doing what the coaches want, not sitting with your coach on the sideline... and the media asking other players question about him all the time. Thats the type of thing that is a major distraction in the locker room. Not what seem is doing, which is not producing (which can be said about a lot of players on this team right now).
Have you ever played on any team at any level...pre school, pre teen, high school, pick up hockey, school yard, what ever??

Have you ever had a player on the team...that regardless of how hard you played...this guy just doesnt seem to be on the same page? He just doesnt bring it day in and day out?

That **** didn't bother you? Piss you off. Discourage you when **** started going south in a game or a season? That's what...IMO...Semin is to the team. He's that guy. Is he causing a stir in the media? Getting arrested? Being a ***** in general? No.

But the son of a ***** is sure as **** wasting his talent and bringing this team down. Call it cancer...call it a really bad ****ing cold...call it whatever you want.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:25 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I wish Strung would show a little more emotion. Dude is like a Vulcan....

Old
12-14-2011, 10:55 AM
Monty

There are a number of underperforming Caps players at this stage of the season, but to me the biggest concern and problem is not Semin, Vokoun, Hammer, Neuvy, or even the injury prone Green (the latter included only because if your consistently injured you can't be performing up to any level). It's Ovie hands-down because he is the only one that I don't realistically see returning to even a 50-goal player, never mind a 65-goal player.

THN predicted the Caps would have the most points this season and win the Cup. Most other publications picked the Caps to be among the top two or three teams in the league. I don't bring this up because of the predictions - preseason predictions are worthless. I bring this up because if you look back at these predictions, all were premised on Ovey returning to greatest, or at least First Team All-Star at LW. THN and other predicted he would lead the league in goals; some even predicted he would lead the league in points.

Instead he has 9 goals in 29 games. That comes out to 25 in a season. If he was on a 50-goal pace, he would have at least 18 now. What difference would 9 more goals for the Caps have meant to their record so far? And back in the 50-goal Ovey years, how often did he pot a late goal to tie or win a game? Aside from the Ottawa game, when was the last time Ovey did that. Ovey has marginally improved his effort under DH, but I still see nothing to suggest that Ovey is going to drastically improve - at best he may be able to get to 30 goals because this has now been going on for nearly a year and a half and everyone has seen obvious aspects of his game that have slipped in that timespan. (His playoff PPG or GPG averages have been on the decline as well since the 2009 playoffs).

The other players listed I can still envision their play improving because for them so far this season has been an aberration, whereas in Ovey's case it has been a continuation of last season's decline and in terms of goal scoring continues to trend downward. I'm an Ovey fan, have the jersey and go to all the home games, but nevertheless that's the way I see it.

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

I think the Neuvy and Vokoun concerns are a little blown out of proportion. WE need to play better, and then they will.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Except if we were getting 5 or 6 million worth of goaltending, we probably wouldn't be in this mess.

We're getting about 800k worth of goalie right now.

Don't care about how bad the defense is (and it is), we're getting shoddy keeping and it's hurting the team badly.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:26 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
I wish Strung would show a little more emotion. Dude is like a Vulcan....

Must be a messy diaper day.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:30 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

On the two topics seen mostly here as I was catching up.

1. Agree with Langway that a player can be a bad fit and not hit one's definition of "cancer". That definition is different for all of us I'm sure. Maybe he's just a virus?

2. I have no problem with continuing the 1-2-2 after 4-0. They're still learning his way and you need to get them to make it reactionary. After soft goals, poor mental make-up, and deflections, you punt the game, call it 0-0 and try to win a period. You didn't have camp, preseason, etc. Time to do it on the fly.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:37 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
I think the Neuvy and Vokoun concerns are a little blown out of proportion. WE need to play better, and then they will.
I don't one iota given some numbers I just read elsewhere.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Except if we were getting 5 or 6 million worth of goaltending, we probably wouldn't be in this mess.

We're getting about 800k worth of goalie right now.

Don't care about how bad the defense is (and it is), we're getting shoddy keeping and it's hurting the team badly.

We're not. Vokoun signed for 1.5mil.
He is one of the best goaltenders of the last 5 years, and his previous contract reflected that.

Old
12-14-2011, 01:08 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
We're not. Vokoun signed for 1.5mil.
He is one of the best goaltenders of the last 5 years, and his previous contract reflected that.
The problem is that his current play doesn't.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
The problem is that his current play doesn't.

Like i said earlier, maybe more of a team problem.
D leaves him out to dry too much.

Old
12-14-2011, 01:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

D leaves him out to dry? I don't know where you're getting that.

He's given up to many soft goals. That's the problem. They deflate a team much more than a defensive gaffe.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

He's given up to many soft goals. That's the problem. They deflate a team much more than a defensive gaffe.
This. The skaters gave the goalies 12 goals worth of support in the prior 3 games. In a game like yesterday's, when the skaters are struggling offensively, you need your tender to make a difference. Butter-soft goals tell the team they can't lean on their goalie when they need to. Very disheartening.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Really as stated above, if OV was himself, we'd have ~9 more goals, and with Semin he'd have ~9 more goals as well. That's almost .67 GPG. That's a huge difference. We're probably sitting at the top of the conference if OV and Sasha were themselves. This isn't even mentioning that with the old OV, Backstroms probably leading the league in points, and that our PPG Dman has only played 8 games, and our tending has been horrendous. Ovechkin and Semin need to not just play better but produce. They used to play bad but still be able to score. Now even when they play well they don't score. IMO they both just need to string together some games, where they score a nice goal, or even a lucky one to feel good about themselves and then it will come.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:33 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Exactly. Last night though not a perfect example shows this. The Caps played pretty decently up until that goal. After the goal? A bit deflated still playing decent after that second one? Completely done. Not being able to believe in your goaltender is awful for a team

For example when I played Junior C (don't laugh) I played goalie that year me and the other tender split time equally. The team had no confidence in him because he had a habit of letting in the softie. When a goalie does that a team plays tentatively and doesn't play there game in other words they just play to protect the goalie and nothing else playing scared. When I was in the games the team played completely different

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Exactly. Last night though not a perfect example shows this. The Caps played pretty decently up until that goal. After the goal? A bit deflated still playing decent after that second one? Completely done. Not being able to believe in your goaltender is awful for a team

For example when I played Junior C (don't laugh) I played goalie that year me and the other tender split time equally. The team had no confidence in him because he had a habit of letting in the softie. When a goalie does that a team plays tentatively and doesn't play there game in other words they just play to protect the goalie and nothing else playing scared. When I was in the games the team played completely different
I don't put much stock into this, and if it's the case I don't have much sympathy for a professional team, loaded with quality players, that goes belly-up and basically mails it in when their goalie allows a soft one or two. Especially with a period or two, or more, to play. You fall behind 1-0 on a bad goal and that's it? Game over?

How many times has this Caps team fallen behind over the last few years by several goals and come back to win? We've seen what they can do, they're just too lazy to do it anymore. But I guess that's what we have now. Fall behind 1-0 or 2-0 and our collection of millionaires mails it in.

*Not absolving Vokoun by any means here. He should rightfully be blasted for letting in these continual weak goals, but that's no excuse for the other 20 guys to mope and give up immediately.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote