HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching staff (special teams, defense, goaltending, S&C, team physicality)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-28-2012, 10:58 AM
  #26
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine
 
The YzerJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: location location
Country: United States
Posts: 4,536
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen Boucher say that, but I have for Lacroix with the defensemen

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...-maker/1194863
Quote:
The team also second with 136 blocked shots. Boucher credits not so much players using their bodies but their sticks. "It looks like a small detail but it's the most important thing, defensively," he said. "First, it's the gap (between players), and then it's the gap with your stick to the other team's puck. You can still hit guys, but the puck still travels. So, it looks good, you head a pound, but the puck travels and it becomes a two-on-one or an opportunity at the net. So, for me it's always been stick on puck first, and once the stick on puck is established, then the body."
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...-decision-time

Found it

EDIT: Head a pound DC? lol


Last edited by The YzerJesus: 03-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.
The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 11:50 AM
  #27
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 3,815
vCash: 500
If Norfolk is no longer our affiliate next year or Jon Cooper gets an NHL job(hell, ask him if he wants to be an assistant in Tampa) then replace the coaching holes with assistants from Norfolk.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
  #28
LGB 26
Registered User
 
LGB 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Tampa
Posts: 223
vCash: 500
Where is Norfolk going?

LGB 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:32 PM
  #29
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks
 
The Fear Boners's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Scrip Club
Country: United States
Posts: 20,028
vCash: 500
I'd actually love Cooper to be here next year, but I hate to see what it'd do to Norfolk (or Syracuse).

Mark Lambert is the S&C coach and actually just caught on at the start of the year, remember that being in the paper somewhere.

Question is, who and how do you blame the coaches? Do you blame the personnel given, or do you blame the coaches and how they use them?

You could certainly argue they have done something right with guys like Gervais, whos put up 11 points in a half season which is pretty good value from a #7 defender. Most teams number 7 guys can barely skate. Then theres the case of Brewer, who hasn't been hitting and is more of a poke first guy now. He could very well be injured too, but who knows.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
  #30
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames
 
Vasilevskiy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Barcelona
Country: Spain
Posts: 8,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
The concerns we are having about the coaching staff are something I was worried about when we first hired Boucher.

He, and his crew climbed the ranks so quickly, that there wasn't a chance for the weak links to be found over time.

I have no doubts that Boucher is an NHL quality coach, but it's remarkable if everyone else who came up with him is the same.

I'll throw my doubts over S&C in the mix as well. Mikkelsson has become physically weak. You could not say the same when we first got him.
very good point, I agree with you

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:31 AM
  #31
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,101
vCash: 500
I'm not sold on the idea that Raymond and Lacroix should go. How exactly they mesh with Boucher is important and nigh impossible to determine from HFBoards.

It's the specialists like goaltending and especially S&C that standout in my mind. As what they specialize in do has distinct lines and measurable outcomes.

The team did start to get back on track with players returning from injury, and an apparent focus on S&C, but I just don't know what happened with that, as we're missing a gross-load of guys and Mikkelsson, who was no weakling, having been in Anaheim and Calgary's systems, starts to drop off about 3 months in. Which is about the same amount of time the Lightning really started to hit the wall with injuries, and their style of play visibly took on a new form.

It's very basic, but getting players to play to their individual potential comes before team tactics, and to get there it involves tedious S&C (imo).

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:52 AM
  #32
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine
 
The YzerJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: location location
Country: United States
Posts: 4,536
vCash: 50
Indeed, even Marty missed some of his first games after 499 straight after we got this new guy

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 01:23 PM
  #33
Bolts265
Registered User
 
Bolts265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wiserman View Post
Indeed, even Marty missed some of his first games after 499 straight after we got this new guy
Not a good analogy. Marty got hit in the eye with a puck during practice, has nothing to do with s & c

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:22 PM
  #34
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine
 
The YzerJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: location location
Country: United States
Posts: 4,536
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolts265 View Post
Not a good analogy. Marty got hit in the eye with a puck during practice, has nothing to do with s & c
Note the

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:52 PM
  #35
Bolts265
Registered User
 
Bolts265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
DUH!

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:00 PM
  #36
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,101
vCash: 500
Well, if Marty had been doing eye exercises, and strengthening his facial muscles, his injury could have been lessened.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:14 PM
  #37
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
The lack of physicality from our defense is frustrating and inexcusable, especially given their size.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:52 PM
  #38
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!
 
Stammertime91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
The lack of physicality from our defense is frustrating and inexcusable, especially given their size.
This. This is the most frustrating thing.

Got guys like Lee, Brewer, Hedman, Malone, etc that should be running over guys. They need to wake up next year, we get pushed around too much, time to start intimidating these other teams instead of just being the normal pushovers that we are stereotyped to be.

I really wouldnt move or let go of these guys:

Thompson, Lee, Pyatt( I know hes signed, just dont trade him!), Wyman.

I really want to see them back next year and not let go.

Main need are a goalie, #1 dman and a scoring winger not named Gagner, Tanguay, Vrbata, etc! haha

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:58 AM
  #39
Felonious Python
Moderator
Purple Squirrel
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 13,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stammertime91 View Post
This. This is the most frustrating thing.

Got guys like Lee, Brewer, Hedman, Malone, etc that should be running over guys. They need to wake up next year, we get pushed around too much, time to start intimidating these other teams instead of just being the normal pushovers that we are stereotyped to be.

I really wouldnt move or let go of these guys:

Thompson, Lee, Pyatt( I know hes signed, just dont trade him!), Wyman.

I really want to see them back next year and not let go.

Main need are a goalie, #1 dman and a scoring winger not named Gagner, Tanguay, Vrbata, etc! haha
I don't think Thompson will be going anywhere, and Lee would have needed to be a complete waste of time for SFY to not bring back. He's playing like a guy still relatively new to the team, as would be expected, but at least he's hitting dudes. If he follows the same path as everyone else and becomes baby soft, then we're in trouble, but that's what S&C is supposed to be about.

Pyatt seems pretty safe, but I'm not as sure about Wyman. He seemed to be a better player when he first got called up, which appeared to open the door for Blair Jones' exit, but JT hasn't been quite the same since he got injured. It feels like Labrie has surpassed him overall.

I think SFY is aware that if we get a better defense, or a defense playing better, the necessity of an all-world goalie isn't as critical (although having one wouldn't hurt).

A name you didn't mention is Commodore, whose stats indicate he's playing pretty well, and I would agree with such an assessment. He's another guy, like Lee (or post-trade Mikkelsson) that needs physical strength to be effective. Everybody could benefit from it though. Commie's spent a lot of his career in **** situations, but showed to be outclassed on the Red Wings. A Lightning team in transition to the Red Wings class might have use of him.

If we could sort out whatever is causing the strength slide, I'd feel more comfortable about letting defensemen we have now walk, but it almost feels like we have to let them walk because they'll be useless in about 3 months.

Whatever is going on, S&C needs to be priority #1 when addressing the coaching situation this offseason.

I think we can potentially poach staff from Phoenix, either if the team moves and there's some inevitable level of cleaning house, or at least to not have them worry about the team's future, as the Lightning aren't going anywhere.

I don't know how many remember the Phoenix game this season, but the Coyotes have to be one of the fittest teams in the league.


Last edited by Felonious Python: 03-30-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
  #40
Bolts265
Registered User
 
Bolts265's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 1,907
vCash: 500
Believe me I would like nothing better next year than to mothball my top 2 d-men nicknames forever....but I wonder how they are being coached.
Hedman = Buttercup
Brewer = Powderpuff

Bolts265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:35 AM
  #41
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!
 
Stammertime91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I don't think Thompson will be going anywhere, and Lee would have needed to be a complete waste of time for SFY to not bring back. He's playing like a guy still relatively new to the team, as would be expected, but at least he's hitting dudes. If he follows the same path as everyone else and becomes baby soft, then we're in trouble, but that's what S&C is supposed to be about.

Pyatt seems pretty safe, but I'm not as sure about Wyman. He seemed to be a better player when he first got called up, which appeared to open the door for Blair Jones' exit, but JT hasn't been quite the same since he got injured. It feels like Labrie has surpassed him overall.

I think SFY is aware that if we get a better defense, or a defense playing better, the necessity of an all-world goalie isn't as critical (although having one wouldn't hurt).

A name you didn't mention is Commodore, whose stats indicate he's playing pretty well, and I would agree with such an assessment. He's another guy, like Lee (or post-trade Mikkelsson) that needs physical strength to be effective. Everybody could benefit from it though. Commie's spent a lot of his career in **** situations, but showed to be outclassed on the Red Wings. A Lightning team in transition to the Red Wings class might have use of him.

If we could sort out whatever is causing the strength slide, I'd feel more comfortable about letting defensemen we have now walk, but it almost feels like we have to let them walk because they'll be useless in about 3 months.

Whatever is going on, S&C needs to be priority #1 when addressing the coaching situation this offseason.

I think we can potentially poach staff from Phoenix, either if the team moves and there's some inevitable level of cleaning house, or at least to not have them worry about the team's future, as the Lightning aren't going anywhere.

I don't know how many remember the Phoenix game this season, but the Coyotes have to be one of the fittest teams in the league.
I agree, you put it into a great perspective.

They dont seem to look completely lost or outskated every night, it happens to teams so you, I nor can anyone expect them to show up ready to outskate the other team 82 games a season but I know I'd like to see them hit more than they did this year and show more of an effort for at least 40mins a game because they just went streaky in each period. Very disappointing. I think a lot of the physicality last year is gone with the absence of Bergenheim, Ohlund and Brewer playing like he did last year.

It just seems like when we get guys they diminish, take Clark for example, he scored last year, blocked shots, pp and pk guy, he was pretty good, now its like ice capades with him out there. Everytime he falls I cringe because the ice just broke below him, and the thing about Brewer is that he sat Leopold on his bottom the last time we played Buffalo, why not use your size and strength all the time?

If Malone could produce like he has the last 15 games or so, I'd be a happy camper and never rag on him again but I think the team next year really needs to wake up if they want a cup, Marty isn't going to play forever and I hope that he isn't going to slow down for another year or two. This year was tough but he's fought through adversity and put up some pretty good numbers.

They just need to do some work this summer and keep guys that we have signed or can sign cheap. Get another Asst. Coach too, I like Fleming and Im sorry but its a professional sport, we need another coach! Just my two cents.

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:21 PM
  #42
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,360
vCash: 133
What was up with pulling Roloson after New Jersey's 4th goal only to send him back in until their 6th?

On the Devils feed you could see Boucher almost arguing with one of the assistant coaches (who's not in the picture though).


Last edited by LightningStrikes: 03-30-2012 at 12:27 PM.
LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
  #43
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine
 
The YzerJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: location location
Country: United States
Posts: 4,536
vCash: 50
I was watching the Devils feed. The explanation they gave was that there was a miscommunication between Boucher and Lecroix. But boy, in the camera angle I saw, did Guy look pissed.

The YzerJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
  #44
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,360
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wiserman View Post
I was watching the Devils feed. The explanation they gave was that there was a miscommunication between Boucher and Lecroix. But boy, in the camera angle I saw, did Guy look pissed.
Yeah he was totally mad while the whole bench was either laughing or staring disbelievingly. Very odd scene.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:45 PM
  #45
LightningStrikes
Moderator
SFY
 
LightningStrikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,360
vCash: 133
I took some pictures from Game Center Live (dunno how to "video tape"):








He was also looking to the left (Lacroix?) and shaking his head.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:05 PM
  #46
Stammertime91
Keep on keepin' on!
 
Stammertime91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 454
vCash: 500
LOL! Man, they dont need to start feuding between each other now. Poor Caron, during all that he was like:

"Yes! Finally my time to shine! .....wait...."

"CARON, GET YO A** BACK HERE!"

"Damn it, guess I'll sit on this stool some more"

*pouts on stool*

Stammertime91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
  #47
chasespace
Registered User
 
chasespace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williston, FL
Posts: 3,815
vCash: 500
I seriously wonder what was up with that. Nobody involved(coaches and Caron) looked particularly pleased.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
  #48
I Am Beat You
Registered User
 
I Am Beat You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,055
vCash: 500
Boucher was laughing about it right after, I doubt there's any tension.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:30 PM
  #49
LateNightOilerFan
Registered User
 
LateNightOilerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
This is the explanation I found...

Quote:
It was a strange moment after a Marek Zidlicky power play goal at 14:37 of the second period. Lightning backup goalie Sebastien Caron jumped onto the ice, seemingly to replace Dwayne Roloson.

Roloson, who had allowed foir goals on 21 shots at that point, headed for the bench but was sent back by coach Guy Boucher. It seems Boucher was waving winger Ted Purcell onto the ice and Caron thought it was directed at him.

(The referee) said they had a miscommunication on the bench, Devils coach Pete DeBoer said.

Or was Boucher trying a sly way to take a free timeout?
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2..._celebrat.html

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:42 PM
  #50
LateNightOilerFan
Registered User
 
LateNightOilerFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 880
vCash: 500
Crunched a couple numbers just based on the last 5 games. Bolts have been out-shot 187 to 100, an average of 37 to 20 per game. During that time they have only been out-scored 19 to 17. So sv% over the last 5 games has been .898 while the opposition's has been .830, and has been better than the opposition in each game.

Even on the season, the Bolts have been out-shot 2,353 to 2,083 and with 263 goals against vs 217 goals for, opposing goalies have a .896 sv% compared to .888 for Bolt goalies. Not that big of a difference.

Yes they need an upgrade in net but the upgrade they need on D is more pressing IMO. Otherwise they are going to be needing their goalies to steal a ton of games.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.