HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Coaching staff (special teams, defense, goaltending, S&C, team physicality)

Old
03-30-2012, 09:01 PM
Vasilevski
I ****** Lindback

vCash: 500
yeah, we know

Vasilevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:30 PM
LoSTRaMaiR

I didn't say he was throwing games... Just think he is realizing he may not have a job anywhere next year, so he is trying harder to win

Edit: even though it seems you misunderstood me, how would throwing games even help him get resigned?

Last edited by LoSTRaMaiR: 03-31-2012 at 11:40 PM.
LoSTRaMaiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:30 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Roli is trying to save himself for next season. Dude can get ****ed. Don't doubt he saved his best for last. Dude suck, never wanna see him near Florida again.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:37 AM
TheDaysOf 04
a new era

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSTRaMaiR View Post
I didn't say he was throwing games... Just think he is realizing he may not have a job anywhere next year, so he is trying harder to win

Edit: even though it seems you misunderstood me, how would throwing games even help him get resigned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Roli is trying to save himself for next season. Dude can get ****ed. Don't doubt he saved his best for last. Dude suck, never wanna see him near Florida again.
I don't think he's trying harder all of a sudden to get a new contract. That's not like him. He never takes any credit for playing well. He gives all that to the team and to him it's just his job to make saves and win. If anything he was 1 of the last believers that thought we could sneak into the playoffs. I'd say he was trying harder to get that 1 last shot at a cup.

Though it could be a lot of things that have helped him recently. Could be him going back to his normal training drills, the psychological effects of knowing he's the #1 again with Tokarski and Garon done and that it's his net again, or finally winning a game for the first time in a while to boost his confidence and being able to work off that.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 04-01-2012 at 06:01 AM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Trying harder? Try "not working with the goaltending coach anymore".

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Vasilevski
I ****** Lindback

If he's that bad I don't understand how is he still with the team lol

Vasilevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:48 AM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktors89 View Post
If he's that bad I don't understand how is he still with the team lol
Sounds like he needs to be more flexible, especially when dealing with an NHL vet who has been playing in the NHL for as long as Jean was coaching in juniors.

You know how some players can't bridge the gap from Junior to the NHL, it applies to coaches as well. He's only been with the Bolts since 2010, and before that he coached Junior and U-18's. That's a bit of a transition.

At any rate, when Roli came to the Bolts, Boucher made a comment about how they weren't going to try to change anything he was doing because he came in mid-year and had been playing great for the Isles and kept playing great for the Bolts. Then came a new season and from the article that was posted in the coaching thread, it sounds like new methods/techniques/drills were introduced. If that's the case, they should have just left him be.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Don't want to dump someone during the season, management may think differently than us, just because he hasn't worked well with Rolo doesn't mean he can't work well with Garon, etc.

Old
04-02-2012, 12:08 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Don't want to dump someone during the season, management may think differently than us, just because he hasn't worked well with Rolo doesn't mean he can't work well with Garon, etc.
Oh definitely, wasn't suggesting that at all. It's just being flexible, which Jean commented about in that article. There was definitely a difference in the drills though. As a vet, Roli should have spoken up sooner, but as a coach, Jean should have realized it wasn't working sooner, especially since there was such a difference in the results from season to season. I think by the time they both realized something had to be done, Garon had the net, then Tik, and during that Roli was trying to get it together and get back to his 'style' with only spot starts and relief duty.

So back to the other comments wondering about how he's trying harder just to get a contract, I think he finally just had that one game where it all came together for him, and then he was able to get a few games together and get the results he and the team had been looking for. There is no way Roli was dogging it all season, it's just absolutely not in his nature and he is all about the team.

That said, none of this will be considered by the majority of people when assessing the season for the Bolts.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I'm still on the fence about coaching at that position - Tokarski has been okay, Janus has been okay, Garon has been his career average, Roloson has struggled, Nagle has been meh.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:09 PM
LightningStrikes
He is back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I'm still on the fence about coaching at that position - Tokarski has been okay, Janus has been okay, Garon has been his career average, Roloson has struggled, Nagle has been meh.
There are two more, though: Ellis has had his worst season by far here and Jean couldn't really help Smitty either, although he played a lot better in his last couple games with us. In the end, as just fans, we know ****. We don't know how the coaches and trainers work with the guys and how it works for each player individually. It's all just speculation. But now as both Smitty and Roloson publicly stated their problems with the goaltending coach you got to at least wonder if Jean's the right man for the job.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 04-02-2012 at 02:22 PM.
LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
There are two more, though: Ellis has had his worst season by far here and Jean couldn't really help Smitty either, although he played a lot better in his last couple games with us. In the end, as just fans, we know ****. We don't know how the coaches and trainers work with the guys and how it works for each player individually. It's all just speculation. But now as both Smitty and Roloson publicly stated their problems with the goaltending coach you got to at least wonder if Jean's the right man for the job.
Looking at this from the outside, I'm of the opinion that cutting Jean loose is actually the more cautious approach, and the one more compatible with SFY's plan.

I mean, he's had what, 2 of the 4 of goalies in his two years indicate some sort of dissatisfaction?

Last edited by Felonious Python: 04-02-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Exactly. One is a fluke, two is a coincidence, three is an issue, four is a finger pointing, five is a problem and so on and so forth.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Just in case anybody was thinking the Habs might try snagging Boucher.

Quote:
With the Canadiens in upheaval in the front office and on the ice, and the Tampa Bay Lightning in Montreal, questions about the future of Lightning coach Guy Boucher, perhaps with the Canadiens, were inevitable. But Boucher said he would not listen to the Canadiens if they came calling, and Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said it would not get to that point, anyway, because he would deny any Montreal request to speak to Boucher.

"He's the coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning," Yzerman said Wednesday. "He's not going anywhere."
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...medium=twitter

Benders Lindyhop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:15 PM
CoopThereItIs
Here we go Lightning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Just in case anybody was thinking the Habs might try snagging Boucher.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...medium=twitter

Quote:
Bottom line, "No," Boucher when asked if he would listen to a Montreal offer. "I'm under contract with the Lightning. I'm very happy and we have plans for our organization. That's the only thing I'm focused on right now."

CoopThereItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 11:05 AM
LightningStrikes
He is back

On the CBC Hotstove they were speculating on whether Brisebois and Cooper could be a fit for Montreal (and subsequently if there should be some sort of compensation).

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/CBC.../ID=2220535445

Old
05-06-2012, 03:03 PM
LightningStrikes
He is back

Quote:
Erik Erlendsson ‏ @erlendssontrib

In case anybody was confused by a rumor running around, Steve Yzerman has already announced no subtractions to be made to coaching staff
https://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib

Old
05-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib
Quote:
Erik Erlendsson ‏ @erlendssontrib

In case anybody was confused by a rumor running around, Steve Yzerman has already announced no subtractions to be made to coaching staff
Just replacements and additions.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 05-06-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old
05-06-2012, 04:00 PM
CoopThereItIs
Here we go Lightning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Just replacements and additions.

CoopThereItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wiserman View Post

Yes, troll, but he could have said 'no changes' or 'no firings' and then there'd be no doubt.

'Subtraction' is a measured word.

Old
05-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Didn't think JB would be going unless he got the GM position. I do worry about Cooper being poached though.

Old
05-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
Didn't think JB would be going unless he got the GM position. I do worry about Cooper being poached though.
Rick Dudley is reported to be the new Habs AGM.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Rick Dudley is reported to be the new Habs AGM.
Interesting...one needs to draft French players and the other has a man crush on russians. Might be an interesting draft room.....

I see where Erlendsson said that there would be no coaching changes, but isn't it funny how all these stellar goalies in the playoffs are being coached by former NHL goalies?....and doesn't our goalie coach have zero professional experience?

Last edited by TBLHoser: 05-06-2012 at 06:18 PM.
TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
Interesting...one needs to draft French players and the other has a man crush on russians. Might be an interesting draft room.....

I see where Erlendsson said that there would be no coaching changes, but isn't it funny how all these stellar goalies in the playoffs are being coached by former NHL goalies?....and doesn't our goalie coach have zero professional experience?
http://protekgoaltending.com/new/en/...ff/frantz-jean
Quote:
Prior to that he was working in the same role for the Moncton Wildcats of the Québec Major Junior Hockey League for 12 seasons. During that time the Wildcats have been the best defensive team in the league four times (1999-2000, 2005-2006, 2008-2009 and 2009-2010), Two of his goalies have been named Defensive Player of the year (Lajeunesse 1999-2000, Crawford 2003-2004), and 5 times the Moncton Wildcats goaltenders have been named to the 1st or 2nd league all-star teams and 8 of his protégés have been drafted or signed as free agents by NHL Teams.
Yet none have really stepped into any significant roles with NHL squads with the exception of Crawford, but even then...

Old
05-06-2012, 10:37 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
http://protekgoaltending.com/new/en/...ff/frantz-jean

Yet none have really stepped into any significant roles with NHL squads with the exception of Crawford, but even then...
He's good with juniors but his coaching style(obviously) doesn't translate well to the NHL. Not a big deal, it happens. Just replace him.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote