HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching staff (special teams, defense, goaltending, S&C, team physicality)

Old
05-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
He's good with juniors but his coaching style(obviously) doesn't translate well to the NHL. Not a big deal, it happens. Just replace him.
That, or find kids that fit the mold of what hes doing. Desjardins seemed to have some success with him, great on the ground, super athletic... makes me wonder if Janus can iron out the mental side of the game and potentially overtake Tokarski.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
That, or find kids that fit the mold of what hes doing. Desjardins seemed to have some success with him, great on the ground, super athletic... makes me wonder if Janus can iron out the mental side of the game and potentially overtake Tokarski.
So that would mean we're going with who in net next season?

How much respect does Frantz Jean have around the room at this point? I know he works with the goalies, but whoever the starter is next season, is going to be told by the guys that he seems to produce **** results.

I can say that with some confidence if Roli went off program to regain form.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
So that would mean we're going with who in net next season?

How much respect does Frantz Jean have around the room at this point? I know he works with the goalies, but whoever the starter is next season, is going to be told by the guys that he seems to produce **** results.

I can say that with some confidence if Roli went off program to regain form.
I honestly wouldn't mind if Roli replaced Jean as our goalie coach. Then add in another coach to take Wayne's spot.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't mind if Roli replaced Jean as our goalie coach. Then add in another coach to take Wayne's spot.
Agreed. I'm sure if we offered Roli the job he'd take it, assuming he doesn't get any offers to play in the offseason.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 02:50 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

Quote:
Other than having a great career in the NHL, having the respect of this team, our coaches, and being picked by Yzerman twice (for Canada in the WC and in a trade to Tampa) in the past, an supposedly a good mentor when Tokarski was up here, how do we know he'll be better than Frantz. What qualifies him to be a good goalie coach, or did I answer my own question?

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 05-07-2012 at 03:19 PM.
TheDaysOf 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Other than having a great career in the NHL, having the respect of this team, our coaches, and being picked by Yzerman twice (for Canada in the WC and in a trade to Tampa) in the past, an supposedly a good mentor when Tokarski was up here, how do we know he'll be better than Frantz. What qualifies him to be a good goalie coach, or did I answer my own question?
IIRC, Roli has experience coaching. Doesn't he run like a summer camp with Roland Melanson?

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Bob Mason.

Old
05-14-2012, 05:55 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...medium=twitter
Quote:
The Tampa Bay Lightning might hire a coaching consultant to take some of the work load off coach Guy Boucher and assistants Dan Lacroix and Marty Raymond. The move, only a consideration at this point, is taking shape because it is clear assistant Wayne Fleming, in the 13th month of his fight with brain cancer, is not returning to the team. His absence last season created added responsibilities for the remaining staff.
Quote:
General manager Steve Yzerman said he has no plans at this time to hire another full-time assistant. A decision on whether to hire a consultant will be made when Yzerman and Boucher talk after the world championship, which ends May 20 in Helsinki, Finland, where Boucher is an assistant with Team Canada.

As for Fleming, 61, Yzerman said, he "is not seeing a lot of improvement right now."

Old
05-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Poor Wayne

Old
05-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

An interesting tidbit is that Frantz Jean owns ProTek goaltending, which runs goalie camps during the summer in PQ.

One of the guys he's got assisting him is Shawinigan's Gilles Lefebvre, who I think we'd come around to considering as Jean's replacement in Tampa, given that a QMJHL team made it to the Memorial Cup Final, and being French seems to be 90% of the necessary qualifications.

Lefebvre was the former goalie coach for the Thrashers, Pens, and Isles.

http://www.gilleslefebvre.com/

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

I don't think Frantz is going to go anywhere for at least another year. Hes been given a few different types of goaltender and the only one that he has really shown decent work with would be Cedrick, so I think they may give him a little more time to work with someone like Janus who is very similar in style and see how that goes.

Its scary though, I don't know how he can work so... differently with someone like Tokarski, Roloson.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:26 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
I don't think Frantz is going to go anywhere for at least another year. Hes been given a few different types of goaltender and the only one that he has really shown decent work with would be Cedrick, so I think they may give him a little more time to work with someone like Janus who is very similar in style and see how that goes.

Its scary though, I don't know how he can work so... differently with someone like Tokarski, Roloson.
I honestly think Roloson would be a great teacher for Tokarski.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 07:16 AM
HoseEmDown

Isn't Frantz the NHL goalie coach only? I'm not sure if he runs the Ads but whoever is their doing s hell of a job.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 04:46 PM
JedYzerman

Quote:
I have nothing but respect for Flemming and wish him a speedy recovery, but in the meantime we need another coach to fill his spot.
Lidstrom?

JedYzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 05:10 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweather26 View Post
Lidstrom?
While that would be awesome I doubt it happens.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 06:18 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Isn't Frantz the NHL goalie coach only? I'm not sure if he runs the Ads but whoever is their doing s hell of a job.
No he works with all the Lightning goaltenders

http://protekgoaltending.com/new/en/
Quote:
Tokarski works on a weekly basis with Tampa Bay Lightning Goaltending Coach and Pro Tek Goaltending Owner and Head instructor, Frantz Jean.
Quote:
Pat works weekly with Lightning Goaltending Coach and Pro Tek Goaltending Owner and Head Instructor, Frantz Jean.
https://twitter.com/BoltProspects/st...02854198583298
Quote:
Tokarski is the first goalie off the ice during morning skate. Janus is getting extra work with Lightning goalie coach Frantz Jean.
http://www2.tbo.com/sports/sports/20...oach-ar-32743/
Quote:
The 39-year-old native of Mont-Royan, Quebec, will be responsible for working with all goaltenders in the Lightning's organzation. While he will work closely with Mike Smith and Dan Ellis in Tampa, Jean is expected to split his time between Tampa and Norfolk while also working with the Lightning's prospects in junior hockey.

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 05-31-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Frantz works with all goalies, yeah. Just like the rest of us, perhaps he just has some learning to do. Maybe.

I worry about bringing in another stopgap until Bernier becomes available because of his coaching.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:39 PM
NikInHD

Any coaching changes in the offseason?

We all know that Roli and Smitty aren't the biggest fans of Frantz Jean. Were bringing in a maturing goalie. Do you think we'll replace him with someone a bit more proven to ensure Lindback rises to his full potential?

Anyone else in the coaching staff for that matter?

NikInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:43 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikInHD View Post
We all know that Roli and Smitty aren't the biggest fans of Frantz Jean. Were bringing in a maturing goalie. Do you think we'll replace him with someone a bit more proven to ensure Lindback rises to his full potential?

Anyone else in the coaching staff for that matter?
SY has said that there would be no coaching changes.

TBLHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:47 PM
NikInHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
SY has said that there would be no coaching changes.
Does anyone know if Lindback and Jean have similar styles?

Old
06-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

I don't know how some red flags haven't gone up about our goalie coach. Smitty leaves and has an MVP season. Roloson starts playing well when he went back to doing his thing. Are we not allowed to have a better goalie coach because the NHL knows that when we have decent goaltending we are tough to beat??

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 10:31 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Does anyone know if Lindback and Jean have similar styles?
I know nothing about Lindback's preferences. This is what we know about Jean's:

Quote:
Lightning goaltenders coach Frantz Jean likes to work with what he calls "static" drills in which a goalie "works on the mechanics of the movement."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...-surge/1222241

Jean may do fine with younger goalies seeing as that is where the bulk of his experience has been.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
I don't know how some red flags haven't gone up about our goalie coach. Smitty leaves and has an MVP season. Roloson starts playing well when he went back to doing his thing. Are we not allowed to have a better goalie coach because the NHL knows that when we have decent goaltending we are tough to beat??
Smitty needed to grow up mentally and he wasn't going to do that here. Slightly different situation here.

As for the rest... yeah.

Old
06-28-2012, 10:51 PM
NikInHD

Quote:
Smitty needed to grow up mentally and he wasn't going to do that here. Slightly different situation here.

As for the rest... yeah.
No way. You don't mentally grow up in the offseason. He averaged a 2.7 in tampa and gets a 2.21 in Phoenix. He carried the team that is no better than Tampa the entire season. Im sorry but that has nothing to do with growing up.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM
B2k3
#Yzerteam

Quote:
No way. You don't mentally grow up in the offseason. He averaged a 2.7 in tampa and gets a 2.21 in Phoenix. He carried the team that is no better than Tampa the entire season. Im sorry but that has nothing to do with growing up.
Well, yea, did you see the WCF games against the Kings? He still has more growing up to do, obviously.

B2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote