HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching staff (special teams, defense, goaltending, S&C, team physicality)

Old
06-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikInHD View Post
No way. You don't mentally grow up in the offseason. He averaged a 2.7 in tampa and gets a 2.21 in Phoenix. He carried the team that is no better than Tampa the entire season. Im sorry but that has nothing to do with growing up.
Then you don't know Smitty and the growing up he had to do. Phoenix was lightyears better than us defensively too.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 12:21 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Smith was garbage here. I HATED him. His play with the puck led to so many goals before his concussions. He was awful then and was awful after. He couldn't stop super easy shots during the Smellis time frame and only kinda became ok after his AHL stint. Not enough to keep him, tho. And he was exposed during the playoffs for playing the puck (which he cannot do effectively, ever) so to say letting him go was a mistake is to become absolutely ********. Good riddance to his terrible play.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:42 AM
OG Kuch

Smith is one of the best puck handling goalies in the NHL, and he was very good after his AHL stint. I actually wanted him back, but I'm happy to see him thrive with Phoenix. The talent has always been there.

OG Kuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 03:27 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Smith is one of the best puck handling goalies in the NHL, and he was very good after his AHL stint. I actually wanted him back, but I'm happy to see him thrive with Phoenix. The talent has always been there.
Everyone forgets how many goals he cost us while handling the puck. He's average to subpar at handling the puck and was exposed during the playoffs at how bad he really is. SMITH WAS/IS AWFUL

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:14 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Everyone forgets how many goals he cost us while handling the puck. He's average to subpar at handling the puck and was exposed during the playoffs at how bad he really is. SMITH WAS/IS AWFUL
Just cause you don't like the guy doesn't mean you can make false statements. He IS one of the best puck handling goalies in the league. He may make a mistake or two but every player does.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:19 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
I don't get this. He wasn't great with us after the first concussion, but he was really quite good at handling the puck. Sometimes he'd flub it sure, but mostly not. Compared to some of the guys we've had that handle the damn thing likes it a live grenade.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 06:27 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
I don't get this. He wasn't great with us after the first concussion, but he was really quite good at handling the puck. Sometimes he'd flub it sure, but mostly not. Compared to some of the guys we've had that handle the damn thing likes it a live grenade.
In two seasons Roloson probably gave up more goals handling the puck than Smith in four years with us.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 03:19 PM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...medium=twitter
Quote:
The Tampa Bay Lightning had at least brief conversations with Hall of Famer Larry Robinson about an assistant coaching job, GM Steve Yzerman acknowledged, and Robinson said had he not felt comfortable when visiting San Jose, the Lightning was “an option.”

“But after looking at the organization here, I’m very comfortable with my the decision that we made,” Robinson, who has a house in the Tampa Bay area, said on a conference call after accepting an associate coach job with the Sharks.

“My house will be there in the future, but I like the decision that I made here. We had some talks but, of course, they have to do the due diligence and I had to do the same things, and that’s the way things work out sometimes.”
Quote:
I thought about it and, believe me, if I didn’t feel comfortable here (in San Jose) and my wife wasn’t comfortable it was an option,” Robinson said.

But San Jose also offered Robinson the chance to be near his daughter and grandchildren who live in Redondo Beach, Calif.

“I felt that this was the right move for me,” Robinson said. “It allows me to not only come here and work with some great people but also to work with an organization I think is going in the right direction, giving me another chance to win another Cup. Also, I felt it was important for me and my family to move a little closer to the grand kids and it allows my wife a little more freedom to do the things she loves to do and that’s to be around the kids.”

Old
07-11-2012, 08:11 AM
ThunderRoad

Robinson would have been nice.

The addition of another coach with in-depth NHL experience looks to be key for the upcoming season.

ThunderRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderRoad View Post
Robinson would have been nice.

The addition of another coach with in-depth NHL experience looks to be key for the upcoming season.
Hmm...guys with NHL coaching experience.

Andy Murray - coaching Div I
Pat Quinn
Rick Kehoe
One of the Sutter's
Bryan Trottier?
78 year-old John Muckler?
Don Cherry?

Jim Johnson was also hired by the Sharks to be an assistant coach. Matt Shaw will then not be retained.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-13-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: scratch Marc Crawford off the list, he's been hired as ZSC Lions coach
Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 09:30 AM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Hmm...guys with NHL coaching experience.

Andy Murray - coaching Div I
Pat Quinn
Mark Crawford (lol)
One of the Sutter's
78 year-old John Muckler?
Don Cherry?
Maybe Cherry could coach our Russian prospects.

ultra63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:18 AM
BoltSTH

Seen on BP. THN hates us

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20120711

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Yzlamic Extremist
Johnny Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
It's pretty much all Toronto media. Back in the OK Hockey days there would always be articles in the Toronto Star trashing the organization. Boylen defends Calgary's moves in the same article, enough said.

Yzlamic Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 10:56 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
As much as I dislike the tone and some things he said in that article, he is pretty spot on. Tampa has much to prove this season. I agree that our PP shouldnt have looked that bad last year. As much as I really like SY and Boucher, they need to win this year. Especially after the moves they made.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
As much as I dislike the tone and some things he said in that article, he is pretty spot on. Tampa has much to prove this season. I agree that our PP shouldnt have looked that bad last year. As much as I really like SY and Boucher, they need to win this year. Especially after the moves they made.
Of course not, SFY didn't put the team on cruise control for 5-10 years and let the #1 picks rack up, to be fired a year before the team wins the cup.

Felonious Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

I got faith in them. I personally think last season was a fluke. That team was obviously not even close to the same team as the ECF team.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote