HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

I. 2012 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will we pick for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 1 1.96%
6th-10th 4 7.84%
11th-15th 23 45.10%
16th-20th 22 43.14%
21st-25th 1 1.96%
26th-30th 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

vCash: 500
Yeah but it's not that he's lazy, just that he could be even better.

Aberg is a guy I'd love to get, but he could rise like Zibanejad maybe.

Old
03-05-2012, 08:15 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Yeah but it's not that he's lazy, just that he could be even better.

Aberg is a guy I'd love to get, but he could rise like Zibanejad maybe.
Id be pretty happy with Aberg although Collberg is the guy Ive been hoping for. With this recent surge picking in the late 20s isnt entirely unlikely and Im fairly certain guys like Collberg, Aberg and Gaunce will be gone before the mid 20s.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
6'2 +
210 lbs +
Power forward winger.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
6'2 +
210 lbs +
Power forward winger.
Thomas Wilson, Brandon Gaunce, Radek Faksa fit that description (Well Gaunce and Faksa are centers but they can play wing, especialyl Faksa) but none of them are that weight yet. Faksa is out of our reach unless we fall to the bottom 10, Gaunce probably is as well. Wilson could likely be had for an early second. Limited offense, but he's on par with Landeskog with regards to physicality.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thomas Wilson, Brandon Gaunce, Radek Faksa fit that description (Well Gaunce and Faksa are centers but they can play wing, especialyl Faksa) but none of them are that weight yet. Faksa is out of our reach unless we fall to the bottom 10, Gaunce probably is as well. Wilson could likely be had for an early second. Limited offense, but he's on par with Landeskog with regards to physicality.
Don't be so quick to rule them out.....recent years have shown that there's always a few who defy even the Bob McKenzie's of the hockey world and drop 10-15 spots.

03-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Don't be so quick to rule them out.....recent years have shown that there's always a few who defy even the Bob McKenzie's of the hockey world and drop 10-15 spots.
Can't see Faksa dropping. He's having a Huberdeau esque rise and theres talk of him going second overall. I don't see that happening but no way we get him IMO. Gaunce might because his offense really isn't that strong, but not Faksa. Faksa is the complete package, offense, defense and physicality.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Can't see Faksa dropping. He's having a Huberdeau esque rise and theres talk of him going second overall. I don't see that happening but no way we get him IMO. Gaunce might because his offense really isn't that strong, but not Faksa. Faksa is the complete package, offense, defense and physicality.
Faksa would be perfect for this team, but you're right. No way he falls to us.

I wouldn't mind seeing us try and move up 3-4 spots using one of our 2nds to try and snag Gaunce. He could be good for ~60-70 points a year, and I think he'd be a good #2 center behind Benn. Not as great of an option as Ribs, but I think he's the most logical and realistic pick right now.

Anyone think we'd take a D man in the first round? I really hope not, but I think if someone's gonna fall out of the top 10 towards where we pick, it'll be a D man. And I would love to have one more solid D prospect to go with Nemeth and Oleksiak, preferably a more offensive minded type.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Faksa would be perfect for this team, but you're right. No way he falls to us.

I wouldn't mind seeing us try and move up 3-4 spots using one of our 2nds to try and snag Gaunce. He could be good for ~60-70 points a year, and I think he'd be a good #2 center behind Benn. Not as great of an option as Ribs, but I think he's the most logical and realistic pick right now.

Anyone think we'd take a D man in the first round? I really hope not, but I think if someone's gonna fall out of the top 10 towards where we pick, it'll be a D man. And I would love to have one more solid D prospect to go with Nemeth and Oleksiak, preferably a more offensive minded type.
BPA, all day, every day. Nashville has had some pretty damn good results drafting D as well. Might not hurt.

Would still prefer a massive 2nd line type right wing beast, though.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Would still prefer a massive 2nd line type right wing beast, though.
Not saying don't get another one .....

Don't they have that in Alex Chiasson? That pretty much nails his characteristics: nasty disposition, hitter, fighter, solid two-way, improving skating. He's probably a 20-30G/ 40-60PTS player in the NHL at this point. I think Brenden Morrow with size seems to be an appropriate comparison based on the 5 or 6 games I've seen in the past 3 years.

I think you are right to go BPA ... and if it's another hulking winger that's great, but my hope is a center falls in their lap.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

Don't they have that in Alex Chiasson? That pretty much nails his characteristics: nasty disposition, hitter, fighter, solid two-way, improving skating. He's probably a 20-30G/ 40-60PTS player in the NHL at this point. I think Brenden Morrow with size seems to be an appropriate comparison based on the 5 or 6 games I've seen in the past 3 years.

I think you are right to go BPA ... and if it's another hulking winger that's great, but my hope is a center falls in their lap.
id consider ritchie to be in the same vein as well. So far this draft seems to really suck for centers which is pretty frustrating. Of course we've seen a guy like Benn not play center until he hits the NHL so I guess anything can happen. Ideally whoever we get is the type of guy who is a really good playmaker with good vision and passing.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:

You're absolutely right, i was uh... out of it last night. Center is definitely needed the most for sure.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
So far this draft seems to really suck for centers which is pretty frustrating.
I disagree. Grigorenko, Faksa, Galchenyuk, Gaunce, Girgensons, etc. would all be great center prospects for us. It does trail off towards around where we'll pick a bit, but it's not a weak draft for centers, at least not in the 1st round.

Any news on Girgensons? Is he falling, or not? I've confused over what his status is right now.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
txomisc

If the regular season ended today and both dallas and detroit then lost in the first round, which of them would be first to pick in the draft.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:56 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I disagree. Grigorenko, Faksa, Galchenyuk, Gaunce, Girgensons, etc. would all be great center prospects for us. It does trail off towards around where we'll pick a bit, but it's not a weak draft for centers, at least not in the 1st round.

Any news on Girgensons? Is he falling, or not? I've confused over what his status is right now.
Well it seems like overall there are usually more. We almost certainly arent going to get a shot at grigo faksa or galchenyuk. Gaunce would be great but Girgensons doesnt seem thrilling to me.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
If the regular season ended today and both dallas and detroit then lost in the first round, which of them would be first to pick in the draft.
I believe Detroit would pick first.

The conference final participants are the last 4 picks. The division winners are placed before them. The rest of the field is based on points.

Again, assuming the season ended today meaning Dallas wins the Pacific, Dallas could pick as late as 26th if 4 division winners make the conference finals (Florida not being one of them). If no division winners make the conference finals, Dallas would pick 22nd.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
BigG44

That's according to Wikipedia .... to be honest I'm just too lazy this morning to confirm that with the CBA.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
BigG44

Tomas Hertl seems like an interesting pick in the early-mid 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg, TSN.ca
He caught the attention of the scouting world by outplaying Radek Faksa and most of his teammates at the WJC, finishing with three goals and five points in six games. He had a strong start to his Czech league rookie season, but has seen ice time dwindle in the last month. Strengths: Brings good size and competitiveness, very smart and skilled, soft hands, deft playmaker, able to hold the puck and make a play, plays a tenacious style, has good puck instincts. Weaknesses: His feet are questionable and is not very good on his edges. He can trail the play due to lack of top-end speed. NHL upside: Has the size and skills to be a top two winger if the skating doesn't hold him back.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=58417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Placzek
Arguably the best prospect in the Czech Extraleague, showing excellent offensive instincts and playmaking abilities. He makes up for lack of breakaway speed by being a balanced skater who plays strong on the puck and goes fearlessly into all attack areas getting him separation. Reads situations well and his decision-making skills are well above-average. Solid forecheck who usually finishes. He dangles really well, has great hands, and a great back-hand which he used to tie the USA in World Juniors in the middle period. He displays soft mitts and passes the puck really well in the offensive zone. Needs work defensively but is committed to improvement all around.
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/tomas-hertl/17535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Kennedy
Tomas Hertl, C – Slavia Prague (Cze.)

Though he couldn't get his team past the mighty Russians, Hertl was a force for the Czechs in the quarterfinal. Using his strength to shield the puck, he played a great possession game and showed excellent playmaking hops on the team's only goal. Through a translator, he came out of the loss with a positive attitude.

“It was a good experience,” he said. “Hockey in Canada is very good. The atmosphere was very good and we want to thank the spectators and the fans who followed us.”

Hertl would be a great addition to a major junior team next season, but he is playing against men in his nation's top league right now and putting up numbers, with nine goals and 15 points in his first 23 games.

“It is a difficult situation to talk about right now with my contract,” Hertl said. “I'll go back home and play for my club until the end of the season and then we'll see.”

Getting that older competition back home has been a boon for Hertl, who didn't look like one of the Czech's younger forwards.

“It's more clever,” he said. “Every situation is not just about speed, like in the (Czech) junior league. You have to solve the situation in a more clever way.”

And Hertl seems like a fast learner.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...e-juniors.html

Old
03-07-2012, 09:34 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Wouldn't mind Girgensons that far down in the draft. Not a bluechip, but he'd be the BPA and easily our best center prospect.

It'd be amazing if Gaunce fell to 22nd (doubtful), and we moved up to ~35th or so to snag Girgensons (He might be available here). But it's a pipe dream more than anything.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Girgensons is so dumb, made bad decisions. Should be in the CHL instead of the prospect black hole known as the USHL.

Might still be a potential top 10 pickif he wasn't in Dubunqe.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:41 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Girgensons is so dumb, made bad decisions.
I read this and thought you were saying he's a dumb player who makes bad decisions.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:28 PM
BigG44

I've seen several different reports about Hertl's skating, but this is from a European scout saying his skating is just fine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Line Report Czech/Slovak scout Radim Jelinek
Tomas Hertl(late 93´) is probably the best but needs to stay healthy. He is big and strong creative playmaker with soft hands, excellent stick skills, vision, smartness. Smooth skater with speed, agility, balance. Slick with puck in tight, tough to separate off the puck, shields the puck very well.
http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...elinek_24.html

And this one says it's his major flaw:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Prospectus
Tomas Hertl, C, 2012 eligible: Hertl has had a pretty impressive season in the Czech Republic's top men's league, with 15 points in 23 games as an 18-year-old. Hertl is good with the puck and exhibits plus hockey sense in regards to his playmaking. He can make plays in open ice and is decent using his body to make plays off the cycle. The major issue with Hertl is skating, and it keeps him from being a true high-end weapon.

Old
03-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Hockey Prospectus uses Corsi ratings and I really doubt Cory Proman gets to see games in the Czech Republic.

Old
03-09-2012, 10:03 AM
BigG44

Quote:
I believe Detroit would pick first.

The conference final participants are the last 4 picks. The division winners are placed before them. The rest of the field is based on points.

Again, assuming the season ended today meaning Dallas wins the Pacific, Dallas could pick as late as 26th if 4 division winners make the conference finals (Florida not being one of them). If no division winners make the conference finals, Dallas would pick 22nd.
So I found this article on NHL.com which confirms the order.

30 = Stanley Cup winner
29 = Stanley Cup loser
28 = Conference Final loser (Better win %)
27 = Conference Final loser
As many as 21st - 26th or as few as 25th - 26th = Division winners not making Conference Finals
As many as 15th - 24th or as few as 15th - 20th = Playoff teams, non-Division winners, based on win %
1st - 14th = Non-Playoff teams based on win % and lottery

Old
03-09-2012, 10:29 AM
BigG44

The Pacific Division champ should pick somewhere between 21st (It's not entirely out of the question Florida could pass the Pacific champ) to 26th.

If Dallas doesn't win the division, it looks like they will pick as low as 14th or as high as 19th. Although I think 15th isn't likely for any Western Conference team. 13th, 12th, and 11th are all possible, but Dallas would have to probably play below 0.500. That means they could also probably pick 20th-23rd, but I think they'd have to basically continue this 8-0-1 run and probably lose no more than 2 or 3 games in regulation in the last 14.

So yeah: 11th-14th and 16th-26th all seem possible depending on if they win the division and who goes to the Stanley Cup finals.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:09 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

wut

There's just no way...

Closed Thread