HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I. 2012 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will we pick for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 1 1.96%
6th-10th 4 7.84%
11th-15th 23 45.10%
16th-20th 22 43.14%
21st-25th 1 1.96%
26th-30th 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2012, 03:43 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I was planning on doing this later down the line, but I'm bored and we're already talking about Zemgus Girgensons:

Potential Dallas Stars 1st Round Draft Target - Zemgus Girgensons

Position: Center
Team: Dubuque (USHL)
Height 6'1
Weight: 201 lbs.
DOB: Jan. 5, 1994
Current Stats: 45GP 20G-27A-47PTS +15 63PIM

Bob McKenzie February Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg, TSN.ca
Poised to become the first Latvian-born prospect to be a first-round NHL draft choice. There's no worry about him adjusting to North American life as he's played in the U.S. since he was 15. Slated to attend the University of Vermont next season. Strengths: A smart, all-around player with size and skating ability. Good hands, heavy shot, tough and competitive, can play any style of game. A safe pick, he will play in the NHL. Weaknesses: Some scouts question his offensive instincts and ability to create scoring opportunities. May not be a top-two center at the NHL level. NHL upside: Has been compared to Colton Gillies, but with more offensive upside. The type of player that will help an NHL club win a playoff series by playing a tough, two-way game. May have the intangibles to be a top two centre.

Some thoughts from his USHL coach in November, 2010:

Quote:
“He’s dominant down the middle,” Montgomery said. “He’s a complete player who works as hard defensively as he does offensively.”

“At the beginning of the year, we had all our players write down their two best attributes,” Montgomery recalled. “Zemgus wrote ‘puck protection’ and ‘I will never give up.’ And I couldn’t agree more. I describe him as a relentless player. His intensity, his never-say-die attitude; you would think he comes from Moose Jaw.”

Dan Sallows in 2010
:
Quote:
Girgensons is described as a great two-way forward, that is the hardest working player on the ice most nights. He has great hockey sense and vision, good hands, decent size, is strong on the puck, a solid skater, and has unlimited potential.
Drafted by the Kelowna Rockets, don't count on him ever actually playing there. Click on the click if you want all the details, but they don't see eye to eye to put it mildly.

NHL.com arctilce from January with quotes from head coach:
Quote:
"He was the most competitive 17-year-old kid I've ever been around, and it didn't matter if you were in the weight room or on the ice," Dubuque head coach Jim Montgomery told NHL.com. "He wants to be a difference-maker and he wants to help his team in any shape or form that he can."

"I'm a power forward for sure," Girgensons told NHL.com. "I'll make the hits and always finish them. I'll drive the net all the time to try and score."

"The biggest thing for Zemgus is learning when it's time to take it hard to the net, which he likes to do a lot," Montgomery said. "He needs to buy time and space, especially when he's on the half wall on the power play."

"He's easily a 100 miles-per-hour guy and when he breaks seams on the power play, if it's there, it's fantastic," Montgomery said.
These are quotes from the Central Scouting scouts in the article above:
Quote:
"Zemgus is someone who's going to push being a real high-end rank for us all year," Central Scouting's Dave Gregory told NHL.com.

Central Scouting's Jack Barzee, who specializes in scouting players from the USHL, feels comparing Girgensons to Kesler isn't too far-fetched.

"He's developed himself physically and worked hard there in the last two years -- he was a shy kid when he came in as a 15-year-old," Barzee said. "With the speed, size and strength he possesses, he can go through you and hurt you. He's got a gifted set of hands and a hard wrist shot. He has a high-end work ethic, is a team player and unselfish."
The Scouting Report:
Quote:
There was a lot of pressure on Girgesons to have a good showing in the World Juniors on a Latvia squad that lacked talent from top to bottom. While some where indifferent about his play, Girgensons did show some positive signs that he could play a solid two-way game despite having minimal support in his lineup. Girgensons plays a reliable two-way style of play and is a strong center in all 3 zones. He uses his size to his advantage and as his skating continues to improve, his offense should benefit as well. Girgensons will be taking the college route at Vermont, but as a projected high-end 1st round pick, it will be interesting to see what route he takes in his development path.
Draftsite:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Placzek
A tough, skilled center who has an excellent scoring touch, great hockey sense, and soft hands. The Latvian born import projects as a power forward who can finish but excels in generating offense through his set-ups. He is a player who shows up every night and gives it all, with skills and feet that make him strong on the puck. In a draft year where defensemen clearly outweigh forwards in terms of polished players, he stands out in his class as a guy with significant upside as a potential two-way dominant center.

Committed to University of Vermont.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:57 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Definitely a Nieuwy kind of guy.

Old
04-01-2012, 04:42 PM
BigG44

Since he bounces between 10-20, he's an option for the team if Dallas misses the playoffs or sneak in. If they win the division which seems unlikely at this point, they probably are out of range for him.

Old
04-01-2012, 04:49 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I don't think it's possible for us to win the division with LA and SJ playing each other twice, unless they split the series and lose their first games. We'd only have to go 2-1.

But I doubt that happens.

Old
04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
BigG44

Yeah ... that's why I indicated it was unlikely.

If Dallas picks up 4 points, LA and PHX could only pick up 2 and SJ only 3. If Dallas wins out, LA and PHX could pick up 4 points. SJ would be eliminated because they'd only be able to pick up 5 points max, and Dallas would have the ROW tie-breaker (after preventing SJ from finishing with a ROW in the Dallas game).

Old
04-01-2012, 05:22 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Yeah ... that's why I indicated it was unlikely.

If Dallas picks up 4 points, LA and PHX could only pick up 2 and SJ only 3. If Dallas wins out, LA and PHX could pick up 4 points. SJ would be eliminated because they'd only be able to pick up 5 points max, and Dallas would have the ROW tie-breaker (after preventing SJ from finishing with a ROW in the Dallas game).
Phoenix will almost certainly finish ahead of us. Their schedule is just too easy.

San Jose should be our target to take out. Beat them on Wednesday, and then hope LA thrashes them.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:28 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
So I'm guessing Gaunce is the little brother of the Avs prospect?

Old
04-01-2012, 05:32 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
So I'm guessing Gaunce is the little brother of the Avs prospect?
That's correct.

This Texas game is miserable. They just went down 3-0. I could pull some stuff together on him right now I guess.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:36 PM
BigG44

Speaking of older brother Gaunce, he just scored a controversial (should have been offsides according to Fisher) goal to make it 4-0.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:17 PM
BigG44

Potential Dallas Stars 1st Round Draft Target - Brendan Gaunce

Position: Center
Team: Belleville (OHL)
2010-11: 65GP 11G-25A-36PTS -31 40PIM
Playoffs: 4GP 0G-0A-0PTS -3 4PIM
2011-12: 68GP 28G-40A-68PTS 4 68PIM
Playoffs (Still Active): 5GP 1G-2A-3PTS -1 2PIM
Height 6'2"
Weight: 215 lbs.
DOB: Mar. 25, 1994

McKenzie's February Rankings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg, TSN.ca
Drafted second overall by Belleville in the 2010 OHL draft. Played a top six role for the gold medal-winning Team Ontario at the 2011 U-17 championship. Strengths: He's a great direct-line player. Takes it to the net, competes both ways, has a powerful snap shot off the rush a la Mark Recchi, possesses good vision and playmaking prowess, dedicated to improving his game, strong work ethic. Unselfish, mature, intelligent player with a pro outlook. Weaknesses: He could use a little more jam in his game considering his size. Not a dangler, needs work on his first couple of steps and his agility. NHL upside: pretty safe pick, will be at the very least a solid third center, but has the potential to be a second-line centre in the NHL.

Dan Sallows

Quote:
With the 2nd overall pick in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection, the Belleville Bulls really had an easy decision to make, as Brendan Gaunce may be the most OHL ready player that was available. The 16-year-old centre was the highest-scoring AAA minor midget hockey player in Ontario with 55 goals and 93 assists for 148 points in 86 games last season with the Markham Waxers. He also was named to the Toronto Star High School Hockey All-Star First Team after recording four goals and 21 points in 17 games for Markham District High School, where he spent much of the season on defense. Gaunce combines size, at 6-foot-2, 210-pounds, with a whole lot of skill. He has great vision, skating ability, hockey sense, a pro calibre shot, and unbelievable leadership qualities on and off the ice. The kid is mature beyond his years, and will do anything necessary to make his teammates better, and win hockey games. He is the younger brother of Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors defenseman, and Colorado Avalanche prospect, Cameron Gaunce. The Bulls may just have a future captain in the making with the Markham, Ontario native.

Some info from his Assistant Coach:

Quote:
“As a young man, he’s very mature, very focused, very dedicated,” says Bulls assistant coach Jake Grimes, who is the bench boss while GM and head coach George Burnett serves as an assistant with Canada’s team at the upcoming world juniors. “He’s really a guy that you look at and you know he’s going to get where he wants to go.”

He doesn’t have a chink in his armour,” Grimes says.
This is from the writer in the article with the Assistant Coach quotes linked above + quotes from Gaunce:
Quote:
Gaunce is a big, physical forward who has speed and scoring touch but also plays well defensively.

But Gaunce says he’s still got plenty to work on, putting improving his puck-handling skills and lateral movement at the top of his list.

“That’s probably the biggest thing I pride myself on because one-dimensional players don’t usually stand out that much unless they are very skilled offensively and I don’t think that’s me,” Gaunce says. “I can’t just look at the game from an offensive standpoint.”

But make no mistake, Gaunce is strong offensively. He was Belleville’s first-round choice, second overall, in the OHL draft in the spring of 2010 after wracking up 55 goals and 93 assists in 86 games as captain of the same minor midget Waxers he grew up watching, staggering totals that made him the highest-scoring player of his age in Ontario.
http://2012ohldrafteligibleplayers.b...an-gaunce.html
Quote:
At 6'2 and 210 pounds, Gaunce already has the size to have a successful start at the next level. He all ready has an NHL caliber shot and is an excellent skater which all bodes well for the Markham Ontario native.

Gaunce has very good on ice vision and many believe he spews leadership qualities and will one day be a captain of his squad.
Draftsite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Placzek
You don't need to look far to know he is a heavy shooting big bodied forward who has a good work ethic. He has decent hands and a strong hard shot. Creates scoring chances and wins puck battles, and willing to knock the opposition right off the puck. His skating is an area that he needs to improve as he needs a couple steps to get into stride, and needs more mobility. Is strong on the puck and protects it well. Displays good vision and creativity, but his defensive game is a work in progress. His selection slotting is completely dependent upon whether he projects as a second line NHL center by NHL scouting staffs, or 3rd or 4th line.
Central Scouting on Gaunce + Bulls Head Coach + Fellow 2012 Defenseman Draft Prospect:
Quote:
"Brendan is a real high-energy guy," NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards told NHL.com. "When he is playing high-energy, when he's battling, when he's getting involved, he's forcing turnovers in the opposition zone. He's got a good skill set that after he wins a puck battle he can make a good pass and set up a play. He creates scoring chances every shift when he's at his best. Every shift he's out there creating things."

"He's a solid two-way guy," Edwards said. "His play doesn't drop off in his own end, that's for sure."

"Interestingly enough, people are questioning his ability to play without the puck, and in my opinion that's what's going to make him an NHL player before any other part of his game," Belleville coach George Burnett told NHL.com. "He's responsible, competes hard, great stick, tenacious, great hockey sense. He understands the game at both ends of the rink. He's a guy that even from his first year (in the OHL), he was often out there against the other team's best players."

"He was the second overall pick (in the 2010 OHL draft) for a reason," added Burnett. "We're not naïve to think we're going to see him for four years. He's going to be a high pick this year and it wouldn't surprise me to see him go early in the first round. And even higher than the draft rating might suggest. I know he's amongst the elite forwards in North America. I think he's also a young man that is able to play at both ends. … He's difficult to play against, and he competes hard at both ends of the rink."

"Gaunce is probably one of the more well-rounded players in the draft," Guelph Storm defenseman Matthew Finn, a frequent opponent and a player ranked 15th by NHL Central Scouting, said. "He can exploit you offensively. He's got hidden speed there, a big stride and he can burn you. And in the corners as well, he's a big, strong boy, (he is) big in the corners and tough to play against. He can put pucks in the net when he wants. He also shuts down really well."

The Scouting Report
:
Quote:
Gaunce is never going to be the type of player to wow you with dynamic offensive flair, but you can rest assured he brings more than enough to the table. As one of the top two-way forwards in the draft, Gaunce has developed into a player that a coach can feel confident in putting on the ice in any situation. He has good size and competes hard, winning lots of puck battles and being a difficult player to contain. His game is centered around his ability to do the little things and his intangibles, such as leadership, are qualities that separate him from others. Gaunce is still a very capable offensive player and has a good scoring touch, especially around the net. His skating still needs to improve, but his game has a lot of parallels to Ryan O’Reilly at the same age.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:23 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I know a Belleville scout who's followed Gaunce all the way from Bantams. He's said Gaunce has an insane work ethic, and can just control some games. Physical, great two-way player, and a very nice guy off the ice.

Pretty much with was posted above.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:32 PM
BigG44

I'm not going to a full thing on this guy right now, but I though I'd post this video of Radek Faksa:

2011-12 Season: 62GP 29G-37A-66PTS +19 47PIM
Playoffs: 4GP 1G-2A-3PTS +1 2PIM

Old
04-01-2012, 06:34 PM
BigG44

Girgensons, Gaunce, and Faksa are the three big-bodied centers that might, might be available at 14 or beyond. They seem to get slotted all over the place.

Since this is a defense heavy draft, there is hopefully the potential for Dallas to have their pick of at least 2 of the guys and what ever D that ends up dropping.

There are some interesting smaller, skilled wingers from Europe who might be on their radar as well.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:38 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I'd be surprised if Faksa fell to us. He seems to be the best of the 3, I've even seen him in the top 5 in some places.

Aberg and Collberg are two wingers I'd be interested in, to elaborate on your point.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:50 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
I hope vision, passing, and hockey IQ are up there on their list of qualities for a Center moreso than being a big body. We have plenty of big body players who horribly lack talent.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I hope vision, passing, and hockey IQ are up there on their list of qualities for a Center moreso than being a big body. We have plenty of big body players who horribly lack talent.
We also know that GMJN covets the big-body center.

However, it's tough to nail down an actual target. Outside of the three Russians, Murphy, and Trouba, I think there are guys who could just as easily get picked 6th as they could 20th.

There definitely seems to be a tight bunch of talent in the Top 20 dominated by D. Just like recent seasons, I expect fans to point to draft boards claiming guys were a shocking high/low pick, but this year just seems more wide open.

Old
04-01-2012, 08:37 PM
catters078

vCash: 500
What do you guys think about trading down 5-6 spots to about 20 and picking up Tomas Hertl.

A big bodied centre from the Czech Extraliga.

Had a solid world juniors.

(Projected to go between 22-30)

"Arguably the best prospect in the Czech Extraleague, showing excellent offensive instincts and playmaking abilities. He makes up for lack of breakaway speed by being a balanced skater who plays strong on the puck and goes fearlessly into all attack areas getting him separation. Reads situations well and his decision-making skills are well above-average. Solid forecheck who usually finishes. He dangles really well, has great hands, and a great back-hand which he used to tie the USA in World Juniors in the middle period. He displays soft mitts and passes the puck really well in the offensive zone. Needs work defensively but is committed to improvement all around. "

6'2 196 punds

Last edited by catters078: 04-01-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old
04-01-2012, 08:59 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

No thanks. Unless we're getting another center prospect by trading down, it's not worth it.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:37 PM
catters078

He can play centre.

He is listed in most reports as a LW/C prospect.

But a lot of reports list him as a pure centre.

A little bit of Jamie Benn about him

Old
04-01-2012, 09:48 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
He can play centre.

He is listed in most reports as a LW/C prospect.

But a lot of reports list him as a pure centre.

A little bit of Jamie Benn about him
I'm not knocking him at all, I actually wanted us to pick him when we had a good chance of winning the division.

He's a great young player, I'd just prefer Girgensons or Gaunce.

Also, I've been thinking about it.

I think at worst, Gaunce will almost certainly become a great 3rd line center. A safe pick with top 6 upside, he'll probably have a ceiling of ~30-40-70, with 25-35-60 being more likely.

Girgensons is definitely a higher risk player, but I think he's got the talent to become a #2 70 point center as well. Definitely has more upside than Gaunce, but I don't think he's nearly as safe of a pick as Gaunce.

Old
04-01-2012, 10:30 PM
BigG44

I know we haven't talked about the D who might be available, but when you're consider BPA .... there's an above average chance that player will be a defenseman.

They're the guys that I was specifically mentioning earlier that I have no idea where to begin to guess who will be available and who won't.

I wouldn't call most of them can't miss, but I don't think most fans would be disappointed with any of them. Some people will say this guy will never fall or that guy is better suited for the teens rather than Top 10, and that's just fine.

However, the 2010 draft proves anything can happen in my book. I will say I'd be surprised if Murphy and Trouba don't go in the Top 5 or 7 or even Top 3 (mainly for Murphy).

Anyway, here are the more interesting names consistently showing up in the Top 20 it seems for D-men:

Ceci, Cody
Dumba, Matt
Finn, Matthew
Koekkoek, Slater
Maatta, Olli
Murray, Ryan
Pouliot, Derrick
Reinhart, Griffin
Rielly, Morgan
Skjei, Brady
Trouba, Jacob

When you consider that there's likely no chance (I hate using absolutes too often ... but you get the point I think) that Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg or Galchenyuk are falling to Dallas' range, you're already at 15 players. Then consider the 3 big-bodied centers mentioned and you realize there are quite a few interesting players in Dallas' range. Plus, there are smaller intriguing European wingers in Collberg, Aberg, and Teravainen.

Old
04-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Bennrocks

I don't really know why but I want maata

Old
04-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Satan
bend to squares

vCash: 50
Girgensons has been my choice since about November. I'm really high on him.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:23 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
I don't really know why but I want maata
I think you can find something to like about all those D. One thing that stuck out as impressive to me is you'd basically be drafting a 17 year old.

Maata's birthday is late August so he won't actually turn 18 until he's going to camp with London next year. You have to consider that Cody Ceci is almost 1 year older than Maata (August 94 vs. December 93). A year aog, before Ceci scored almost a PPG this season, Ceci also put up a little over 30 points like Maata did this year.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I think you can find something to like about all those D. One thing that stuck out as impressive to me is you'd basically be drafting a 17 year old.

Maata's birthday is late August so he won't actually turn 18 until he's going to camp with London next year. You have to consider that Cody Ceci is almost 1 year older than Maata (August 94 vs. December 93). A year aog, before Ceci scored almost a PPG this season, Ceci also put up a little over 30 points like Maata did this year.
I feel like Maata is probably the biggest wildcard going in to the draft... i feel like he's probably not going to make it or is going to be a stud with my very limited knowledge... the age is part of that

Closed Thread