HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would all those who mocked me for saying Desharnais could make it in the NHL stand up

Old
12-15-2011, 02:29 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
I don't get all the hate that DD receives. Sure he's small but some people here are way too obsessed with size.
I love how he protects the puck in the offensive zone.

For less than a million per year, I don't see why people are complaining especially when he's the 4th best scorer.

It's basically DD or Gomez for the second center position. I don't know about you guys but I choose Desharnais.

Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:02 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
I am one of those that didn't believe DD can be a C, let alone a top 2 C. But he has proved him wrong.

Nothing wrong with having two big bodies in Patches and Cole play along side him. What I'm most impressed about is that he finds a way to get the puck along the boards.

IMO I'm sold on the fact that Pleck-DD-Eller is is our C depth do the middle, while Eller is one of my fav players, DD deserves deserves those top 2 minutes. While I can Eller and DD switching spots (#2C/#3C) I think it won't be for a few years.

Most important part about DD development is that it pretty much means that Gomez is gone by this off-season.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Gally11

Yeah gotta admit I thought DD had good vision but didn't think it would translate to anything with the Habs at least... But he seems to strive when no one believes in him. It's a great story for sure. I'm not usually a pessimist when it comes to prospects either, I always believed in Andrei, Pacioretty & Price.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Asamu

My judgment may be biased because I'm a homer from Saguenay and every morning when I was going to school I heard on the radio: Desharnais 1goal 2assist...1goal, 1assist, 2goals 2assists and I didn't know who really he was. (Now I know, and I've been following his career since his 1st camp) P-A Parenteau from the Islanders played for the Sags as well but in a different era than Desharnais and they both joined the big league pretty much at the same time and they are both playmakers. Parenteau had Pierre-Marc Bouchard as teamate long time ago.

I like Desharnais' vision and passes, but his best quality is his way of protecting the puck with his legs which increases our puck possession, increases our chances to score goals etc...

I wonder why other Sags didn't make it. Maxime Boisclair, Marek Zagrapan; they used to score goals in the LHJMQ but appeared to be bust...

Last edited by Asamu: 12-15-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Desharnais now with 20 pts in 32 games...

We can't ask for more really.

Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

33rd in scoring among centers. 1-point out of the top-30. He's tied with Eric Staal, Mike Richards, and Derek Roy. He's ahead of Paul Statsny, Tuomo Ruutu, and David Krejci.

If I counted right, he's top-25 in faceoffs among the 60 highest scoring centers.

That's with less ice-time than most, too.

PS. Perverly is unreal. 68% in faceoffs and top-30 in scoring.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

I was about to create another thread but this one fits perfectly.
David Desharnais has been our best center for a few games now. I thought he was a cute story, not being drafted and all, but would not be able to cut it in the bigs. Boy was I ever wrong. He's buzzing out there! Everyone talks about Cole the big free agent signing and Max the Ironman (who both have been excellent too, mind you), but the one who carries this line is DD. He just never gives up and has an awesome passing game. Needless to say, I am impressed.
The best part is, his learning curve is stupendously (as would say Calvin) steep! Where will he stop?
Is he in Montreal to stay? Or will he have to (again) force destiny wearing new colors?
I used to be a huge Eller fanboy but, for now, little DD takes the cake as far as second line center duties are concerned. Keep him!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:10 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
33rd in scoring among centers. 1-point out of the top-30. He's tied with Eric Staal, Mike Richards, and Derek Roy. He's ahead of Paul Statsny, Tuomo Ruutu, and David Krejci.

If I counted right, he's top-25 in faceoffs among the 60 highest scoring centers.

That's with less ice-time than most, too.
he's especially good when you put it in persepctive like this

Quote:
PS. Perverly is unreal. 68% in faceoffs and top-30 in scoring.
Raptor Jesus has always been awesome

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
DD has really earned my respect, kid is playing great hockey and not looking bad against the bigger teams at all. He really impressed me in that San Jose game. Good for him I like him and he comes dam cheap

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Miller Time

Very good hockey player who will still continue to get better for a while...

will be interesting to see at what level he plateaus at, but at this point he's made it clear that it would be a mistake to put a firm ceiling to his potential.

many have said he doesn't have the speed/quickness to ever be a "St-Louis-esque" small guy, and that may be true, but his poise with the puck, vision, and ability to find the right space on the ice are all exceptional, and I'd argue are elite caliber already.

how much he is able to improve his physical limitations or make up for the ones he can't change, will ultimately decide just how good he will be.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:10 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
DD is improving his linemates not vice versa. DD is making the hard plays and getting the pucks to Cole and Pacioretty. He has played exceptional with anyone we have put him with. You think gomez with Cole and Pacioretty would be as good? I doubt it.
I think alot of guys would look good between Cole and Maxpac.. Eller would look good, Plekanec would look good (well maybe not right now since I think he is playing injured), even Leblanc would look good IMO.. Im not saying Desharnais is crap, he is a good playmaker with nice vision who improved since the begin of the season, but he has also his parts of weakness which ones are less visible playing with 2 big PF skating very well as complement..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I think alot of guys would look good between Cole and Maxpac.. Eller would look good, Plekanec would look good (well maybe not right now since I think he is playing injured), even Leblanc would look good IMO.. Im not saying Desharnais is crap, he is a good playmaker with nice vision who improved since the begin of the season, but he has also his parts of weakness which ones are less visible playing with 2 big PF skating very well as complement..
Ask Cole and Pacioretty who they want to play with.

I can damn sure assure you it's not Eller. Or Leblanc. Or even Plekanec.

PS. Saying Leblanc would look good between Cole & Pacioretty is pretty far fetched. Leblanc has good potential but is a far better winger.

I hope people keep under-estimating DD though. When he turns into a 65+ point player, I'm sure people will still comment on how this player is responsible for his play or this player would do so much better in his spot.

Old
12-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Thinkbig

I still wouldn't take Desharnais on my team, he's way too small and has the weakest shot in the league. He was given all the tools to succeed.. excellent wingers, PLENTTTTY of PP time, etc.

Instead, I would've given all that to Eller and develop his potential.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Ask Cole and Pacioretty who they want to play with.

PS. Saying Leblanc would look good between Cole & Pacioretty is pretty far fetched. Leblanc has good potential but is a far better winger.

I hope people keep under-estimating DD though. When he turns into a 65+ point player, I'm sure people will still comment on how this player is responsible for his play or this player would do so much better in his spot.
why can't you directly answer back. Cole and Pacio want to play with Desharnais because they HAVE played with Desharnais in the past. They didn't play with Eller and get to know Eller as well as Desharnais. It's common sense.

Also, Desharnais being very small is a huge disadvantage that people don't understand cause they never player hockey in their life. Big presence is very important in hockey. It's getting pretty lame when you see Desharnais getting pushed around every time he battles for the puck.

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:56 PM
groovejuice

Well, it seems from the games I've watched (mostly all), DD comes out from the boards and behind the net with the puck on his stick very frequently after battling with much bigger guys.

He is strong for his size and his low centre of gravity and great changes of direction are terrific assets.

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:59 PM
BBrowser

Me! Me! Standing on my keyboard!! Didn't think he had a chance!!

He's really good at creating the little space he needs north of their goal line. Love it

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:46 PM
LyricalLyricist

DD is good because he plays between cole and pacioretty? Thats why during california trip, when pacioretty was suspended, DD had a great game.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:50 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
why can't you directly answer back. Cole and Pacio want to play with Desharnais because they HAVE played with Desharnais in the past. They didn't play with Eller and get to know Eller as well as Desharnais. It's common sense.
So you're saying that even if Cole and Pacioretty said that they wanted to play with DD, you wouldn't believe them and say "well, you haven't given Eller a shot, have you?"

Desharnais adds to that trio. He sets them up all day, and actually makes their job pretty easy.

Eller's awesome, but he's 3 years younger and still developing. Let him do that. DD's playing better now, but Eller's day will come.

Quote:
Also, Desharnais being very small is a huge disadvantage that people don't understand cause they never player hockey in their life. Big presence is very important in hockey. It's getting pretty lame when you see Desharnais getting pushed around every time he battles for the puck.
Being big has it's advantages, but only if you use them. Not all big players do. I'd rather take DD who's small but uses his compact frame to find leverage against bigger players, than a marshmallow soft big player like Michael Ryder.

DD is not a problem on this team. It's another smaller centerman who isn't doing **** that's the problem.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

What direct answer do you want? Desharnais produced last year with crap wingers, yet you everyone who says "well he's surround by our two best wingers and they're the reason he looks good" fail to answer that.

Or how about the fact that Pacioretty and Cole aren't supposed to be our best two wingers.

It's not like Desharnais go the top wingers on the team, he formed a line, they clicked, and they've clicked ever since.

Oh wah, wah, wah, he gets pushed off the puck sometimes. He also wins battles sometimes and makes amazing passes and plays. He also wins faceoffs, but who cares, he sucks!

Yeah, because I like Desharnais I've never played hockey in my life. Stop grasping at straws and come up with a real argument or we're done here. His size is a disadvantage, sure, but he's got so many other positives that make that less of a problem.

Screw you St. Louis! You're small! I could go on and on but it doesn't matter, you've made up your mind that because a player is small it means they can't win.

Newsflash, I wish half of our small players had a quarter of the heart that DD has. We might actually be a playoff team that way.

Old
12-16-2011, 08:52 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
DD is good because he plays between cole and pacioretty? Thats why during california trip, when pacioretty was suspended, DD had a great game.
And I presume they also have an explanation for why he was putting up so many points with Pyatt, and Darche, Boyd and the rest of the revolving door of plumbers he was stuck with last year.

DD could easily be on a 0.8 or 0.9 ppg pace if Cole were a better finisher.

Old
12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
And I presume they also have an explanation for why he was putting up so many points with Pyatt, and Darche, Boyd and the rest of the revolving door of plumbers he was stuck with last year.

DD could easily be on a 0.8 or 0.9 ppg pace if Cole were a better finisher.
Nah, they skip that point. They don't care.

And I know DD has set them up so many times that they've been robbed or got a poor shot off.

Cole would probably have quite a few less points if he was playing with any other center because he wouldn't be getting so many looks at the goal every game.

Cole has been amazing... since playing with Desharnais.
Pacioretty is a beast.
Desharnais has been amazing... since playing with Cole.

Cole + Desharnais have unreal chemistry.

Old
12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

It has not even been tried and will probably not till DD's contract expire or the whole line goes in a deep slump.. DD between Cole and Pac makes too much of sense, cant see DD centering 2 other small guys being average defensively.. Still, the kid has good hands and good vision, Im not saying he is a bad player, but I dont think we should start to overrate him either..

Old
12-16-2011, 09:19 PM
NotProkofievian

I don't really think many people are overrating him. He's going to be a 50 point player this year. This pace is more than sustainable for him. It's happening right now.

Most of us who like him just seem to think that there's more to come.

He's playing well, and some posters just hate him to the point where they can't even admit that.

Old
12-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Habbadasher

I was highly skeptical when DD was in Hamilton that he could make it in the NHL. Largely because I have seen several small, but skilled players in Hamilton not make it, and because I had never seen him play. But once I saw him play in the NHL, it was quite apparent that he the skill to make it. I have been a fan of his since early last year.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:32 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I don't really think many people are overrating him. He's going to be a 50 point player this year. This pace is more than sustainable for him. It's happening right now.

Most of us who like him just seem to think that there's more to come.

He's playing well, and some posters just hate him to the point where they can't even admit that.
Personally Ive no prob to admit he has improved since the begin of the season and that I think he is a good fit between Cole and Pac..