HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ben Eager

Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Bennevol10

vCash: 500
Ben Eager

How is he playing? Is he going to make it to NHL? What is his potential? 4th liner!!! Comrie trade doesn't look that good .... What's your thought?

Old
11-24-2004, 02:45 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

the flyers hope he can turn into a John Leclair type player (good rhyme), so i would guess he might have the potential to be a 2nd liner, but im saying more of a 3rd

Old
11-24-2004, 02:49 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
He's playing a great physical defensive role on the Phantoms shutdown line. He hasn't scored for a while as far as I can tell but that doesn't mean he won't make the NHL in the near future as a checking line player. Playing with more talented players he'll probably be able to chip in a few goals.

Also we got Radivojevic in the Comrie trade not to mention Burke who helped mentor Esche during the playoffs. Radivojevic has the potential of a top 6 foward so the deal isn't as bad as you may think.

Old
11-24-2004, 04:05 PM
paxtang

Eager took an elbow in the head while throwing a hit, and I think has a concussion. I don't know how serious it is. He's showing good energy and hitting skills, and is good with the puck, but he needs to cut down on his penalties. Instead of slashing someone back, challenge them later in the game. Chief can teach him that stuff.

Old
11-24-2004, 06:02 PM
FlyersFan10*

Yeah, but we don't need a goon though. What I'd like to see is for the coaching staff to help develop Ben's skills. He's got a howitzer of shot and he skates like the wind. There's no reason why he can't be a 20+ goal man. I see a bit of Tocchet in him and I think that's what should be exploited with big Ben. Let him play on a line with one of the offensively talented players like Sharp or Umberger and see if Ben can keep up.

Old
11-24-2004, 06:07 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Yeah, but we don't need a goon though. What I'd like to see is for the coaching staff to help develop Ben's skills. He's got a howitzer of shot and he skates like the wind. There's no reason why he can't be a 20+ goal man. I see a bit of Tocchet in him and I think that's what should be exploited with big Ben. Let him play on a line with one of the offensively talented players like Sharp or Umberger and see if Ben can keep up.
Tocchet with speed. I like the sound of that.

Old
11-24-2004, 06:11 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
So do I. People can talk about the Tkachuks, Bertuzzis, Heatleys, Deadmarshes, etc.. and throw the term power forward to it, but Tocchet was the epitomy of Power Forward. I see that in Eager and I think it's a shame if all what he's going to do is play on a checking line. Could you picture a line of Eager, Umberger and Ruzicka flying at you in a couple of years? I think that line could really create some havoc. We all know that Eager knows how to fight and we don't need him to focus on that. We need him to focus on developing his offensive game. Yep, Tocchet with speed.....

Old
11-24-2004, 07:12 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
and size too...

Old
11-24-2004, 10:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10
How is he playing? Is he going to make it to NHL? What is his potential? 4th liner!!! Comrie trade doesn't look that good .... What's your thought?

Surely not dysentary of the mouth

Old
11-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Cuiffitelli

Ben Eager

4th liner!!!!

Old
11-25-2004, 10:59 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by easton122
He's playing a great physical defensive role on the Phantoms shutdown line. He hasn't scored for a while as far as I can tell but that doesn't mean he won't make the NHL in the near future as a checking line player. Playing with more talented players he'll probably be able to chip in a few goals.

Also we got Radivojevic in the Comrie trade not to mention Burke who helped mentor Esche during the playoffs. Radivojevic has the potential of a top 6 foward so the deal isn't as bad as you may think.
Woywitka >> Eager
1st > Radivojevich
2nd>>Burke

Considering what we gave up to get Comrie, and what we got in return, We got hosed.

Eager has been a disappointment. He is looking like a future fourth line Todd Fedoruk or Jesse Boulerice type to me. He just doesnt have the hands of a John Leclair.

Old
11-25-2004, 12:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Let's look at this trade (for about the 400th time) using facts.

first of all, we gave up a 3rd and not a 2nd and as long as there is no season, the 3rd will be null and void because there will not be a draft.

3rd = Burke + cash (The Coyotes still pay part of his salary)

Eager may or may not be as good as advertised, the fact of the matter is he was taken in the 1st round of a very weak draft, as was 2004's draft. Now not withstanding is the fact that the Oilers may gotten a steal or a bust (based on the 14 or so spots Schremp dropped).

Late 1st in a weak draft = Eager

Jeff Woywitka is still a top prospect, with a great future in the league, but he is not an established NHL player...yet. Branko Radivojevic has long since established himself in this league as someone who can be a solid 3rd line player, plus provided he get the opportunity he can score some goals. While I wouldn't give the edge to Radivojevic, the fact that Woywitka has yet to be an established NHL player makes the gap closer than most people think. How many times in the NHL in the past have highly touted defensemen done well in the AHL and not been as successful or completely bombed out in the NHL, granted there are a good share who have made it as well, but it is not a shoe-in that Woywitka will be the dominating player that it seems like some people around here already think is inevitable.

Woywitka > Radivojevic

Things look a lot better when you look at them objectively.

Old
11-26-2004, 12:23 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Let's look at this trade (for about the 400th time) using facts.

first of all, we gave up a 3rd and not a 2nd and as long as there is no season, the 3rd will be null and void because there will not be a draft.

Eager may or may not be as good as advertised, the fact of the matter is he was taken in the 1st round of a very weak draft, as was 2004's draft. Now not withstanding is the fact that the Oilers may gotten a steal or a bust (based on the 14 or so spots Schremp dropped).

Jeff Woywitka is still a top prospect, with a great future in the league, but he is not an established NHL player...yet. Branko Radivojevic has long since established himself in this league as someone who can be a solid 3rd line player, plus provided he get the opportunity he can score some goals. While I wouldn't give the edge to Radivojevic, the fact that Woywitka has yet to be an established NHL player makes the gap closer than most people think. How many times in the NHL in the past have highly touted defensemen done well in the AHL and not been as successful or completely bombed out in the NHL, granted there are a good share who have made it as well, but it is not a shoe-in that Woywitka will be the dominating player that it seems like some people around here already think is inevitable.

Woywitka > Radivojevic

Nice post from a good perspective.

Getting back to Eager, he has a long way to go before seeing NHL ice but he is not a lost cause. If he does not improve from his current level of play, he is at best a fourth liner, however he does have some natural physical talents and may become better. We will not have an answer for two more years.
With that said, Wyowitka will take 2-4 years to see if he is for real in the NHL or just a fringe player. My guess is the former.

Old
11-26-2004, 12:55 PM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
I have watched Woywitka play a few games this year. He is not near as good as I thought he would be ( granted he is young ). I saw him in junior and he was dominant vs kids. My personal opinion is that he is going to be on the same path as Nolan Baumgartner, unbeleivable prospect, that ends up being a 1st pairing AHL D'man. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion.

Old
11-26-2004, 01:24 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:

Woywitka > Radivojevic

Even with only a third and cash payed for Burke, It is still overpayment, since he didnt do anything but ride the bench, and now were stuck paying him 4 million dollars since he excercised his contract option. Thats just hindsight though.

By your reasoning, since Eager was taken in the middle of a weak draft and should therefore be equal to a late round pick, Chouinard or Brendl should be worth at least a mid level pick in a good draft. Where a player is drafted is meaningless. Eager is emphatically not worth a first round pick, since he has failed to live up to expectations since he was drafted. To me, he looks like a future fourth line player, maybe a goon. At this point I dont see him having the skill to be a powerforward. He may have the build, but there a lot more to it than being a big tough guy (else the NHL would be awash with them).

What it comes down to is we overpaid for Comrie. We thought we were getting a young star player. Turned out his production was due in large part to his lousy defensive play, and the free wheeling style of the Oilers. He didnt produce while he was here, established a reputation as a pain in the arse player to deal with, and so we got less for him than we gave up

Old
11-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
What it comes down to is we overpaid for Comrie.
Ok, lets move on.

We owed Phoenix anyway for Handzus and Esche.

Old
11-26-2004, 04:25 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Eager is emphatically not worth a first round pick, since he has failed to live up to expectations since he was drafted. To me, he looks like a future fourth line player, maybe a goon.
I would agree that Eager is not looking like a fourth round pick, but I don't see how you can say he is looking like just a fourth line player and a goon. He's shown some pretty good skill in the A. You have to remember that on the Phantoms, Eager is the youngest player, and the youngest forward by far. It's going ot be hard for him to earn ice time down there with vets in front of him, who happen to be producing very well. In the role he's been given, he's done a very good job. He's got better skill than any goon out there, and he isn't good enough of a fighter to simply play that role. He isn't big enough. He doesn't have the dominant size or skill to be a top level power forward. I see him more in the pest role, and a good third liner. Yeah, he could break out, or he coudl totally bust, but the only thing I really think he needs is experience and to cut down some on his penalties. I don't see why he can't fill the role Sami does for us now, but with more size and a willingness to fight.

Old
11-26-2004, 08:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Even with only a third and cash payed for Burke, It is still overpayment, since he didnt do anything but ride the bench, and now were stuck paying him 4 million dollars since he excercised his contract option. Thats just hindsight though.

By your reasoning, since Eager was taken in the middle of a weak draft and should therefore be equal to a late round pick, Chouinard or Brendl should be worth at least a mid level pick in a good draft. Where a player is drafted is meaningless. Eager is emphatically not worth a first round pick, since he has failed to live up to expectations since he was drafted. To me, he looks like a future fourth line player, maybe a goon. At this point I dont see him having the skill to be a powerforward. He may have the build, but there a lot more to it than being a big tough guy (else the NHL would be awash with them).

What it comes down to is we overpaid for Comrie. We thought we were getting a young star player. Turned out his production was due in large part to his lousy defensive play, and the free wheeling style of the Oilers. He didnt produce while he was here, established a reputation as a pain in the arse player to deal with, and so we got less for him than we gave up

I'll agree with the fact we gave up too much for Comrie. He had one good year. Trent Klatt had one good year (not 30 goals). Chris Simon almost had a 30 goal season once. We were banking on the fact that Comrie was going to come in and blow up.

Sure he did ride the bench. And while I love Antero Niittymaki, I've been running his fan club since he was a rookie in Finland, there is no way that I would have wanted him to be the insurance option if Esche were to go down, thankfully Burke only did that for 2 periods. Keep in mind #1 we're not paying him in a lockout, so there is extra opportunity to deal him when we resume, and #2 Phoenix is paying part of his salary anyways.

Old
11-27-2004, 07:47 AM
Rex88

Quote:
I'll agree with the fact we gave up too much for Comrie. He had one good year. Trent Klatt had one good year (not 30 goals). Chris Simon almost had a 30 goal season once. We were banking on the fact that Comrie was going to come in and blow up.

Sure he did ride the bench. And while I love Antero Niittymaki, I've been running his fan club since he was a rookie in Finland, there is no way that I would have wanted him to be the insurance option if Esche were to go down, thankfully Burke only did that for 2 periods. Keep in mind #1 we're not paying him in a lockout, so there is extra opportunity to deal him when we resume, and #2 Phoenix is paying part of his salary anyways.
Actually Burke is getting paid due to his hip injury

Old
11-27-2004, 03:51 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I think Eager will turn out to be a 3rd line player that's worth 30-40 points per year and some good hitting. The Comrie trades all hinge on what happens with Woywitka IMO, if he makes it top-4, then we got beaten pretty badly, if he stays AHL, it's pretty much even value or even an edge to the Flyers although it really sucked not to have that 1st when Schremp was around, I think that's one that we'll end up regretting.

Old
11-28-2004, 11:33 PM
flyersrock1

Sean is a bum. Ben looks pretty good. But we have to ask paxtang to see if he can fight. Because he is the man on that. True paxtang you know.

Old
11-29-2004, 12:47 AM
FlyersFan10*

I don't get the Flyers organization anymore. I had high hopes for Eager. I was thinking that rather than groom him as a replacement for Fedoruk or Brashear, they were actually going to develop him as a talent. Instead, they use him for fisticuffs and rather than play him on one of the top lines, they use him on an "energy" line...read: A good line. Take a look at the two other players Ben is playing with. It's not as if Smith and Gratton are going to help develop his offensive game. Shame on the Flyers organization for wasting his development. This is a disgrace and as Flyers fans, we should all be hanging our head in shame in the role they are using Ben. What a complete and utter waste........

Old
11-29-2004, 04:21 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
I don't get the Flyers organization anymore. I had high hopes for Eager. I was thinking that rather than groom him as a replacement for Fedoruk or Brashear, they were actually going to develop him as a talent. Instead, they use him for fisticuffs and rather than play him on one of the top lines, they use him on an "energy" line...read: A good line. Take a look at the two other players Ben is playing with. It's not as if Smith and Gratton are going to help develop his offensive game. Shame on the Flyers organization for wasting his development. This is a disgrace and as Flyers fans, we should all be hanging our head in shame in the role they are using Ben. What a complete and utter waste........
Sigh....

Ben is a rookie, which in and of itsefl means its going to be hard for him to get ice time. Besides the fact that he is a young rookie, unlike a college player coming in, means the fact that Ben is on the checking line isn't really a big deal. What makes it even less of a big deal is that he is good at this role, he is a good energy player because of his hitting and skating abilities. Players are put onto the Phantoms, and then the Phantoms do with them what's best for the team, not what is best for their development.

Eager is NOT being groomed to be an enforcer. He has one fight this year. When he first came into the OHL he fought a bunch, but as he became more important to his team, he picked his spots a lot. In fact, he became pretty well known for ducking fights and turtling on people to draw penalties. Eager is a good fighter, but he won't be a heavyweight. Must fighters out of the O never turn into NHL heavies, because the average fighter in the OHL is smaller than those that come out of the W or Q. They can't compete with them, it's been like that for years. Eager, IMO will probably fight 10-15 times a year, with middle weight competition. He's going to make his mark by being physical, but that's how all powerforwards break into the league. Shanahan, Primeau, Tocchet, all these guys fought at pretty high paces when they broke in. You make your name being tough, then you show your skills. Ben has to make his mark on the Phantoms by busting his ass, knocking people over, and being a pest. From there, he'll progress, just like he will in the AHL. I don't see him on the extremes that most people do. He won't be a Fedoruk, he has better skills and less fighting ability than a guy like him. And he won't be a Leclair, he doesn't have the size or hockey sense to be a big time powerforward. Eager, IMO, is going to fill a role a lot like Kapanen plays for us now, but with a toughness that Sami can't bring. That'll take awhile though. We'll see Eager in the NHL soon, but it'll be on the 4th line for a bit. But I think he's going to be an important part of the Flyers for some time. He'll make some people hate him because of the penalties he takes, but the Flyers haven't really had a pest like him in some time.

Closed Thread