ATL fan has come back

Old
12-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post
Good on you. It'll be a tough road, but if you can keep the faith long term you'll be a better man than me. I couldn't when the Jets 1.0 went to Phoenix. I followed for a year, but I couldn't sustain it after that. (Having the Manitoba Moose though was a good way to get my hockey fix, so we had an alternative to fall back on)
Trading away Teemu is what made it impossible for me to stay with the Jets 1.0 when they moved to Phoenix.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:00 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
welcome back bud, your always welcome to discuss hockey with us here

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Jet
Band of Beavers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nab2488 View Post
Hey guys,

I am sorry if there is another thread about this but I just wanted to let other Jets fans know something.

This is how a angry Atlanta fan has made his way to the Jets. After the Thrashers moved I was very angry I was ready to write off hockey all together. Did not watch the playoffs at all and could careless.

Then Hockey season came back around and I went to the home opener of my college Kennesaw State hockey team. Then I saw a Nashville Preds game on tv a week later. I was like ok we will have coverage of the preds here maybe I will be a Preds fan. I watched about 6 Preds games and enjoyed it did not feel the same.

Well, last night I found the Jets Wild game on and I watched the game. As the game was going I felt a similar feeling as I had before. Watching Pavlec, Oduya, Little, Byfuglien and all the guys I have watched for a while play my anger has almost completely lifted. While I still miss the thrashers they are not completely gone. I am also an Arena Football fan and a couple years ago the whole league folded for a season. They came back but without my team the Georgia Force but they came back last year and I went to every home game. While I watched the Jets I realized unlike the Arena football my team is not gone. They just moved away to a possibly better situation. If it was one of my friends or family would I hate them for moving to possibly a better life? No I wouldn't. I can still enjoy my hockey team I just enjoy from a far. One good thing is I think because of the different cities the coverage for the Jets is going to be much more in depth than it ever was for the thrashers. As I write this I am listening to the Illegal Curve hockey show. 3 hours of hockey coverage! The thrashers were lucky to have a short pre and post game shows then a 5 to 10 minute update during the week in between Falcons, Braves, Hawks, and Bulldogs coverage.

So I am back and will probably buy a subscription to game center. Because the team will probably not be on very often in this market....

Go Jets Go!
Neil
So happy you are back! You are very welcome here and we look forward to your contributions at HF Jets. It's been said a thousand times but many of us here are extremely familiar with your pain and you are a helluva lot more forgiving than I was in 1996 I can assure you.

12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Trading away Teemu is what made it impossible for me to stay with the Jets 1.0 when they moved to Phoenix.
Zhamnov was also dealt during the summer of 1996.

A few other key elements changed as well - like the coaching staff, management, etc.

I remember watching the first Coyotes game on HNIC and actually trying to like the team - it just wasn't the same anymore and I quickly realized that the Jets were indeed gone and not in Phoenix.

Which is why I don't understand comments when the Yotes played in the Peg a few weeks ago ("old Jets" vs "new Jets") - I don't get that. It was the Coyotes vs Jets; not old Jets vs new Jets.

The Jets ceased to be on April 28th, 1996 and re-emerged as a new entity in 2011.

Last edited by Warhead77: 12-14-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Warhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Conflicted Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post

The Jets ceased to be on April 28th, 1996 and re-emerged as a new entity in 2011.
My thoughts exactly

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:49 PM
nab2488
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lover View Post
Yeah, it's hard to quit on Pavs and company isn't it? I didn't know who I'd cheer for this season. Once it started I realized how much I hated all of the other 29 so much . It is beyond heartbreaking to lose your team, and it is maddening that (most) locals do not appreciate the sport. But, their culture is college and HS football, and it would take a generation to change that, which we didn't get.

The only thing that makes it bearable is the incredibly awesome amount of love they get in Winnipeg, and especially the noise at MTS center. Last night's Bogo goal was just . . . there are no words. Thanks Winnipeggers for taking care of our boys. Keep cheering for them nab.
Well I would have to say I love football just as much but probably more than hockey but the thing about football your team only plays once a week... Hockey plays a lot more. Granted I have a sweet set up with 2 tv's so rarely have a conflict between 2 games I want to watch. Also with the jets i'll be using my laptop to watch games so I could conceivably have 3 screens running! lol all I need I beer, wings, and a hot waitress and I have my own sports bar. My Girlfriend is hot but she won't wait on me...

nab2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:52 PM
BigBuffJets

welcome back neil. there are so many of us on this board that can sympathize with you.

BigBuffJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:58 PM
nab2488
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
This.

Neil - by no means take this as saying you aren't welcome here. You and all former Atlanta fans are very much welcome, and I like that you guys are around. It helps break up some of the Jets 1.0 nostalgia, and gives us a historical perspective on a team and players that very very few of us followed before May 2011.

But: as you've noticed, team ownership has shown little to no interest in acknowledging the Thrashers history. And while the players this year are little changed from 2010/2011, that will certainly change.

In Winnipeg in 1996, there was still a fan base for the former team, and Phoenix Coyotes received significant coverage in the local media. But that faded fairly quickly in the following couple of years. People either stopped following hockey altogether, or adopted other teams for various reasons.

In the long run, you might get more satisfaction out of following the Preds than the Jets. But selfishly, I'd prefer to keep our Atlanta fans right here.

Now that being said, 2011 is not 1996 either. It is so much easier to follow an out of market team than it used to be. Hell I don't even live in Winnipeg anymore, but I can read every last bit of news about the Jets, and can watch every single game.
All of that may be true and I can't say my mood towards the team won't change. However, with the realignment coming the preds will be a division/conference rival and if I am still a jets fan then I could not cheer for the preds. Especially if it works out like the NHL hopes. Just like I never even considered supporting the hurricanes. Just couldn't do that....

Old
12-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Related (and make ASG look like the jerks they are):

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...e-1259308.html

Title:
As memories, landmarks fade, fans cope with loss of Thrashers

Quote:
Bob Williams, president of the Hawks and Philips Arena, would not address the mural’s removal other than to say to the AJC in an email: “I don’t deem the subject you inquired about to be newsworthy and therefore don’t feel the need to comment on it.”

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:13 PM
nab2488
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Related (and make ASG look like the jerks they are):

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-th...e-1259308.html

Title:
As memories, landmarks fade, fans cope with loss of Thrashers
I agree a lot with that article. I know many thrasher fans that now follow the preds but all I can say is it just did not work for me. It did not feel the same... close but not the same. I do hope to go out to a Glads game here sometime. I kinda wish now that the jets kept the glads as their ECHL affiliate. Funny thing is one of the affiliates for the glads is Phoenix. Small world huh.

Old
12-14-2011, 02:22 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Chris Vivlamore is a really good writer IMO.

I wouldn't mind if moved up to Winnipeg and continued to be the team's beat writer.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Negative Split

I read that article this morning. My favorite part was the quote about how it’s a little bit like seeing your ex, because that’s exactly how it is. It sort of reminds me of how my now ex-boyfriend (who I was crazy in love with from the moment I met him) drunkenly hooked up with my best friend at my apartment. I had moved on until I randomly saw him one day a few weeks ago, and I got upset all over again.

This is what it’s been like with the Thrashers/Jets—I loved the Thrashers instantly after the first game I went to many, many years ago, then they left suddenly. I started to get over it, but there are still reminders of the team that send me over the edge—a jersey in my closet, pictures, old game programs, their pre-game entrance song on the radio. Just like an ex-boyfriend haha.

I attend a university in a different state far away from Atlanta, so as long as I’m not home I don’t notice as much. But when I’m home on breaks, it’s been difficult. I was a Thrashers fan for over half my life, and the team was so important to my family. My father has multiple sclerosis, and as his disease has progressed over the years it limited the things we can do together (he used to be really outdoorsy and we did lots of adventure-type things—biking, kayaking, hiking, etc.) The Thrashers remained the one thing that we could still enjoy together, and now that’s gone too.

I’ve started watching the games again on Gamecenter, and I’ve gone on a few road trips. The first few games of the season I wasn’t too interested in how the team was doing, and I didn’t really follow off-season NHL news at all either. That first road game I went to, though, when I walked down the steps to ice level during warm-ups it just brought back everything I love about hockey. I honestly couldn’t find another team that I loved as much, and it was too difficult not to cheer for the players I’ve watched over the years. While it still stings a bit to watch them playing in another city, every time I hear a “Go Jets Go” chant it makes me happy that they’re being so appreciated in Winnipeg. Y’all are taking good care of them up there.

Negative Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

welcome brother....you dont have to explain to most of us what you are feeling....we were there.

the opportunity to be a fan of a team not in your city is exponentially greater today....in 96 the jets fell off the face of the earth, so if you wanted to follow them you couldnt (not that i would have).....today there are lots and lots of die hard fans in winnipeg for teams like the bruins and habs.

the jets will be playing 3 games a year only a few hours away in nashville....every game can be seen on tv and you are always welcome to come for a visit and catch some games up here.

great to have you aboard....great to have all the atlanta guys with us.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:32 PM
SCP Guy

You are a bigger man then I.....When the Jets left the NHL died for me.....other then the odd playoff game I stayed away for 15 years as I just lost interest in the NHL (still watched some AHL and international hockey) So over the last 6 months I have been playing a tonne of catch up as far as the NHL goes.......I give you a lot of credit for not doing what I did

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Vander Teemuchuk

I've really enjoyed the Atlanta fans' insights into the team. You're always welcome.

The good news, as has been pointed out before, is that TNSE will most likely be keeping the core together for many years. For Jets 1.0, Selanne/Zhamnov were gone and Roenick was in when play resumed in October '96. So much change so fast.

I cannot see any major shake-ups coming anytime soon. God, I hope we get Slater signed for another 3 years.

And next season when we go to Nashville I hope there isn't a civil war in the stands between Thrasher fans who've switched from or stayed with Jets 2.0. Hahaha. Well, that could become a fun roadtrip. We have the "banjo-bowl" with CFL Saskatchewan. Maybe we could have the "fiddle-bowl" with NHL Nashville.

Vander Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:33 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 122
one thing all you Atlanta fans can relate with us Winnipeg fans is, we all know the feeling. We've been there before, too. Your former team wasn't just relocated to a city that had never tasted hockey before, or a city that did not know what the loss of an NHL franchise felt like. We had years of uncertainty followed by the inevitable.

We lost our franchise too...and it wasn't any different. A loss is a loss.

You always blame something, but its dealing with it that is the important thing. Good on you Atlanta fans who have chosen to deal with it by sticking with the Jets; its a mature way to go about it, and you still get to keep hockey in your mind.

i moved on to the Phoenix Coyotes, and always had a soft spot for them since they were once the Jets, but I found a (few) new favorite team that I rooted for (other Canadian teams like Vancouver & Calgary, some US teams like San Jose & Minnesota, or classics like Boston & Montreal)

But one thing I can tell you all is they are (and will be) much loved up here, from ownership down to the fans the team will be taken good care of.

Its not just the fans on TV, but the city spirit too. Jets license plates, flags, bumper stickers, decorated on restaurants and buildings, etc...every where you go around the city you will see a Jets logo.

I hope you guys follow this team for a long time to come, cause Winnipeg fans are very passionate about this team; and if you're a Jets fan, you belong to be part of the Jets "family" imo. Doesn't matter where you are in the world.

I say: Welcome back, and please, don't ever leave.

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Bob Williams, president of the Hawks and Philips Arena, would not address the mural’s removal other than to say to the AJC in an email: “I don’t deem the subject you inquired about to be newsworthy and therefore don’t feel the need to comment on it.”

Wow, he just doesn't get that the fans had a connection to the team at all.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:39 PM
KrisowszyJetsPL

Soooo. Maybe its time for me to tell the Jets-world that I'm here too . I was ehhmm I'm I dont know ... I was Thrashers fan and now I'm staying with this team...with The Jets. (I just wanna tell You that I'm only 1 of 2 Jets fan in my country nhl forum but I'm true fan and everybody known what's goin'on in Jets team. They- my forum friends have no another choice ).
Sorry, my english is worse than few years ago (I don't use english too much and now I and You can see it's teriblleeeeee). Anyway I like read Your post's and mayby some day I'll try write somethin' more
Welcome Jets fan from Poland...and Go Jets Go!

Last edited by KrisowszyJetsPL: 12-14-2011 at 04:52 PM. Reason: my pooooore grammar ;)
KrisowszyJetsPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:45 PM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
Welcome back! (you too GoThrashGo)

And guess what?

Bogo doesn't suck after all.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:13 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

The bandwagon is always open.

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:39 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoThrashGo View Post
Soooo. Maybe its time for me to tell the Jets-world that I'm here too . I was ehhmm I'm I dont know ... I was Thrashers fan and now I'm staying with this team...with The Jets. (I just wanna tell You that I'm only 1 of 2 Jets fan in my country nhl forum but I'm true fan and everybody known what's goin'on in Jets team. They- my forum friends have no another choice ).
Sorry, my english is worse than few years ago (I don't use english too much and now I and You can see it's teriblleeeeee). Anyway I like read Your post's and mayby some day I'll try write somethin' more
Welcome !!! Off topic, but my dad is from Poland and all his family is still over there so I've always wanted to visit there. I want to be able to speak at least a little polish first though, and I do know some basic phrases and words (mostly swear words though lol).

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Jet
Band of Beavers

Quote:
Welcome GoThrashGo!

I sure hope you don't let your lack of English experience stop you from posting here. I can't imagine if I had to post on a board in another language. I think it's pretty darned impressive. We will get the idea behind what you are saying and if not, we will ask.

Welcome aboard!

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 10:37 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 122
Quote:
welcome sir

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:35 AM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP Guy View Post
You are a bigger man then I.....When the Jets left the NHL died for me.....other then the odd playoff game I stayed away for 15 years as I just lost interest in the NHL (still watched some AHL and international hockey) So over the last 6 months I have been playing a tonne of catch up as far as the NHL goes.......I give you a lot of credit for not doing what I did
I came in to post the same thing.

After the Jets 1.0 left, I quit watching hockey altogether for a whole year. What got me back into it was moving to Ottawa right as the Sens were coming on and adopting them as a new favorite team.

I credit all you guys who are sticking with the team, and sympathize with the ones who aren't.

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 10:58 AM
HeyYouGuys

I have to admit I've been following the Jets a bit more lately, and actually hoping they win! I'm very glad to see Little found his game again!

Before the season started, I was telling myself I was definitely going to follow the Jets. That proved to be more difficult than I thought, and when the season started I found myself cheering against the Jets. I was hoping they would lose every game. What can I say...I was angry and bitter. I got over it though. Now I wish the Jets much success!

I'm just hoping they can survive the annual Jan/Feb meltdown and get themselves into a 7/8 position for the playoffs. Would love to see how this team performs in the playoffs.

HeyYouGuys is offline   Reply With Quote