HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

AJC: Thrashers fans coping with relocation six months later

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2011, 09:50 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
While I feel for the hockey die hards in Atlanta, and I'd be pretty choked too.

You guys need to accept, maybe not now, but eventually, that there is virtually ZERO chance you will ever get a team again. There were two tries. It didnt work out. Come to grips with that, dont stop trying petitions or whatever you think up. You all just need to understand it wont happen again.

Dont blame Canada for this either. It's all Atlanta and the lack of fan support in the city for anything outside of the Falcons. Follow the Jets, follow the Flames, follow something else.

Just dont expect another team any time soon, or more likely, at all.
I disagree with you - while I don't see Atlanta getting a team back anytime within the next few seasons - if the ASG falls apart and Philips Arena is owned by a proper type of ownership group, you may see them try for an NHL team again.

What happened in Atlanta sucks for Thrasher fans, and trust me, I'd have a hard time not looking further west to Phoenix and seeing them still have their team after years and years of ownership debacle, and wonder - why us? It was horrible ownership, and like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, who knows where that group will be in the next few years if other items arise.

I can relate with Thrashers fans in losing a team. This spring, somewhat similar items happened with the Western Hockey League and the Chilliwack, BC Bruins. The Bruins averaged in attendance 16th out of 22 teams, (about 3400), while a few other teams in the WHL were scraping by with 1800-2500 fans per game, and boom, ownership gave up, and the league mandated the sale of the team to Victoria, BC because they wanted to block the AHL from moving the Manitoba Moose there. It's really hard not to point to other franchises that lost money hand over fist, have horrible travel (it's a bus league), and yet still have their team. That move this spring, when fans even in February had no suspicion anything was going on, really hurt bad. A new team from a lower league has shown up, but of course, it's not the same - although the City is doing it's best to move on - it's hard not to wonder if the original league (WHL) will return one day.

However, in the case of Atlanta, at this point, there are likely 4-5 locations that may have a chance for a team before Atlanta has a team. It's regrettable, but it's the reality.

Do hope you have a team back eventually, but I hope you can cope, but it's tough to bite the bullet.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Injektilo

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
Regarding those people who said they were done with hockey: If your idea of hockey is that hockey=NHL, then whoopedoo, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

If you like hockey, you're gonna watch it or play no matter who's playing in what city. I'm an oilers fan living in Ontario, and while I watch most every oilers game every season, if they moved I wouldn't watch all that much less hockey. I'd still watch games at friends places, or watch the new oilers, or go with a second favourite team. And I'd sure as hell keep playing just as much as before.

It just seems kinda contradictory; "I love hockey so much that I'm not gonna watch it anymore because it hurts so much that my team moved".

Old
12-14-2011, 10:41 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post
Regarding those people who said they were done with hockey: If your idea of hockey is that hockey=NHL, then whoopedoo, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

If you like hockey, you're gonna watch it or play no matter who's playing in what city. I'm an oilers fan living in Ontario, and while I watch most every oilers game every season, if they moved I wouldn't watch all that much less hockey. I'd still watch games at friends places, or watch the new oilers, or go with a second favourite team. And I'd sure as hell keep playing just as much as before.

It just seems kinda contradictory; "I love hockey so much that I'm not gonna watch it anymore because it hurts so much that my team moved".
Actually, I think the door hit you...in the face. Your a fan of team that plays in a different city, the Thrashers had few fans like that. Your used to rooting for a team that you can't see live all the time. If you really feel that way about your team, well, hell, you must not be very passionate about them.

Old
12-14-2011, 10:57 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper17 View Post
While I feel for the hockey die hards in Atlanta, and I'd be pretty choked too.

You guys need to accept, maybe not now, but eventually, that there is virtually ZERO chance you will ever get a team again. There were two tries. It didnt work out. Come to grips with that, dont stop trying petitions or whatever you think up. You all just need to understand it wont happen again.

Dont blame Canada for this either. It's all Atlanta and the lack of fan support in the city for anything outside of the Falcons. Follow the Jets, follow the Flames, follow something else.

Just dont expect another team any time soon, or more likely, at all.
this could not be a more ignorant or uninformed statement.

Have you not paid ANY attention to what Thrashers fans have told about the treatment given to the fans by ASG? When fans are pretty much told to piss off by the ownership, what are they to do? When they complain about broken toilets in the bathrooms at the arena, and ownership tells them to "Deal with it," why would anyone want to go?

Atlanta's attendance was fine until ASG bought the team. Go back and look at the numbers. Also go look at youth hockey growth in the metro Atlanta area.

I seem to recall another city that recently got an NHL team that was told it had little to no chance of getting a team back.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:13 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post

Have you not paid ANY attention to what Thrashers fans have told about the treatment given to the fans by ASG? When fans are pretty much told to piss off by the ownership, what are they to do? When they complain about broken toilets in the bathrooms at the arena, and ownership tells them to "Deal with it," why would anyone want to go?

Atlanta's attendance was fine until ASG bought the team. Go back and look at the numbers. Also go look at youth hockey growth in the metro Atlanta area.

I seem to recall another city that recently got an NHL team that was told it had little to no chance of getting a team back.
I will agree with you with regard to ASG screwing over the team and its fanbase. Ultimately, that's what led to the relocation.

I do think that Quebec City is #1 on the NHL's list for relocation. Just seeing how Winnipeg is arguably one of the most successful markets at this point, I think it would be very difficult to argue that Quebec City would be different than Winnipeg in terms of being welcomed. It does hinge on a new arena, but with that being done, the old Colisee would work for a few years.

Old
12-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post

True that and then my question would be to anyone that has a tie with the Winnipeg Jets in any way, shape, or form, is what happens if the Jets leave again due to circumstances that are not in the fans' control? Well, it failed twice so you won't get one ever again seems like the exact kind of thing that they wouldn't accept...nor should they and neither should Atlanta hockey fans.

The reality of the professional sports landscape is that things change. What those changes entail determine whether or not a market is going to be given a chance for the first, second, or third time. Quebec City is going to have an arena built and they're going to be put on that list. Everything was going fairly well in Atlanta for an expansion franchise until ASG bought the team. Everything changed then and it became what it is now.

Atlanta will not get a hockey team until ASG is gone. If at that point, the group taking over has interest in a hockey club, you can bet your bottom dollar that Atlanta will vault up to one of the top one or two locations to get one. I dare say if that were to be the case, it would overtake Quebec City right now in terms of preferences for the league. But that is not the case right now and until then, it's best to just let it lie until something changes for the better.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:08 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Atlanta will certainly get another team again. Given the size of the city and the potential TV contract, there's no way the NHL wouldn't want a team there (just not one run by ASG).

But I do agree it will be a while, maybe 10+ years or so. Right now you have Quebec City as probably the next city to get a team (ie. Phoenix), with Markham waiting behind them for a team after that.

Aside from Phoenix and maybe the Isles, I don't see any other teams moving in the foreseeable future. Expansion would be a different story, but again, if it happens in less than 10 years, I don't see the NHL choosing Atlanta over the likes of Houston/Seattle/Portland/Kansas City/etc.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:18 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Atlanta will certainly get another team again. Given the size of the city and the potential TV contract, there's no way the NHL wouldn't want a team there (just not one run by ASG).

But I do agree it will be a while, maybe 10+ years or so. Right now you have Quebec City as probably the next city to get a team (ie. Phoenix), with Markham waiting behind them for a team after that.

Aside from Phoenix and maybe the Isles, I don't see any other teams moving in the foreseeable future. Expansion would be a different story, but again, if it happens in less than 10 years, I don't see the NHL choosing Atlanta over the likes of Houston/Seattle/Portland/Kansas City/etc.
Who the NHL selects for a new team all depends on who is asking Bettman for a team and what they have. A market needs a willing ownership group that either has an arena or has a somewhat legitimate plan for an arena. Places like Houston, Portland, and Kansas City would have a team right now if they had an interested ownership group.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Whileee

A couple of musings...

I was a big Jets fan when they left. After that, I remained a big hockey fan but didn't watch much NHL. I might have watched the Coyotes a bit more if the Jets hadn't recently traded some of my favourite players (especially Selanne and Housley). I couldn't get all that interested in other teams (other than the Habs now and again). The playoffs were the only games that held much interest. I loved to watch the World Juniors, and still do. I kept playing hockey. Now that the Jets have returned, I am a big fan and follow the Jets rather closely. I still have relatively little interest in other teams. So I completely understand the lack of interest on behalf of many of the Atlanta fans. It doesn't mean that they weren't or aren't good hockey fans. They just don't have a team right now.

I understand the hate for ASG, but I do wonder whether it might be more about the business model in Atlanta and whether there is room for the NHL as a secondary tenant of the Philips arena. Consider this; if someone purchased the Coyotes and wanted to relocate them to Atlanta, would the current owners of the Hawks offer them a great lease arrangement and share arena revenues? Would the current owners of the Hawks and the arena have any interest in purchasing another NHL franchise at a low purchase cost (say, $100 million)? If so, then I don't see why Atlanta shouldn't be part of the discussion about potential landing places for teams that might need to relocate (like Phoenix). If not, then perhaps it is a statement about the market just now, not just about the incompetence of ASG.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
he is a co-host on 'The Doug Gottlieb Show' every day on 1290.

i heard him once make a comment about lobbying ESPN to not give the jets scores in their run down of games.
that's a nationally broadcast show though. he's trying to move from local to national espn. i'm sure if he had his way the show wouldn't even be broadcast in winnipeg. it's kind of funny how much he hates winnipeg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
And the douchiest statement of the year award goes to.....
this isn't even that bad compared to a lot of the stuff we dealt with for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
"Still, last week’s Hurricanes-Jets game from Winnipeg registered an unmeasurable ratings number: The game drew an Atlanta audience smaller than required for a 0.1 rating, or 2,400 households. "

Die hards only it would seem
so you already have our team, yet you're going to keep kicking us anyway? stay classy bud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

i'm all for quebec getting a new team before us, they deserve it.

as long as asg own philips arena, there won't be an nhl team in atlanta. not unless some billionaire wants a plaything and is willing to build an arena to get it.

also whenever we do get a team back, i'd hope it's through expansion rather than relocation. i don't want anyone to have to go through losing their team, no matter how few it may be. unfortunately expansion is probably decades away from being a reality.

Old
12-15-2011, 12:36 AM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
that's a nationally broadcast show though. he's trying to move from local to national espn. i'm sure if he had his way the show wouldn't even be broadcast in winnipeg. it's kind of funny how much he hates winnipeg.

this isn't even that bad compared to a lot of the stuff we dealt with for years.

so you already have our team, yet you're going to keep kicking us anyway? stay classy bud.

i'm all for quebec getting a new team before us, they deserve it.

as long as asg own philips arena, there won't be an nhl team in atlanta. not unless some billionaire wants a plaything and is willing to build an arena to get it.

also whenever we do get a team back, i'd hope it's through expansion rather than relocation. i don't want anyone to have to go through losing their team, no matter how few it may be. unfortunately expansion is probably decades away from being a reality.
Keep hoping - there are a plethora of teams drawing 7000 fans a game that are slowing dying...no need for the NHL to expand to a weak sister. You can take that how you want, but the reality is that the NHL has worn out it's welcome in several locations and will not return to a soft destination anytime soon. Toronto will get a second team before NHL hockey is played in Atlanta.

Old
12-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Keep hoping - there are a plethora of teams drawing 7000 fans a game that are slowing dying...no need for the NHL to expand to a weak sister. You can take that how you want, but the reality is that the NHL has worn out it's welcome in several locations and will not return to a soft destination anytime soon. Toronto will get a second team before NHL hockey is played in Atlanta.
care to tell me what nhl team actually only sells 7,000 tickets a game, much less this plethora you claim it is?

i mean good god atlanta, by your reckoning a soft market, has an echl team that draws 5,000 a game. no nhl team's attendance is that bad.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Injektilo View Post

Yeah yeah, "if they moved I'd..." Bottom line is they haven't moved and you don't know what it's like, so you can keep your advice from up on your high horse.

Old
12-15-2011, 05:32 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Atlanta is way too big, way too moneyed, and way too important to stay off the NHL's landscape...there'll be another team there in the future.
Yup.

New York City of the South. Home to the world's busiest airport (Hartsfield-Jackson). 9th biggest TV/Radio market.

Bad ownership. Nothing more.

Atlanta will have an NHL team again.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
care to tell me what nhl team actually only sells 7,000 tickets a game, much less this plethora you claim it is?

i mean good god atlanta, by your reckoning a soft market, has an echl team that draws 5,000 a game. no nhl team's attendance is that bad.
And Quebec has a Junior hockey team drawing 10,000 a game.

Old
12-15-2011, 06:50 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Yup.

New York City of the South. Home to the world's busiest airport (Hartsfield-Jackson). 9th biggest TV/Radio market.

Third time might be the charm.

Old
12-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECsGuy View Post
Yup.

No doubt, the NHL will go there again. When and who is going to build the new arena?

Old
12-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
No doubt, the NHL will go there again. When and who is going to build the new arena?
I don't think a new arena more than ASG declares bankruptcy and someone stable buys Philips and the Hawks and refurbishes Philips.

Old
12-15-2011, 07:40 AM
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys

Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor
Ignoring the issues of ownership and arena, I would assume that the two US markets the NHL would want to tap into the most are Houston & Atlanta - both massive TV markets (and much bigger than other potentials like Seattle).

It's becoming more and more obvious that ASG pretty much sabotaged the Thrashers (and by the sounds of it, only bought them as part of the deal with the Hawks because they had to), but like Winnipeg & Québec (which is looking more and more likely), once the situation is favourable, the NHL will likely try to find a way back into Atlanta. As a few posters have alluded to, the NHL has tried to bring hockey back into markets that lost their teams due to circumstances.

Personally, I still have my doubts about the overall interest in hockey in Atlanta - certainly there's a lot of passion and a lot of dedicated fans but hopefully the right ownership group can follow the example set by the Predators & make it work in a market that has never really embraced the sport in big numbrs (and really, was actively discouraged from doing so by ASG).

Coming back to the Thrashers fans & coping... I suspect it'll be a long time, but take heart from Minnesota, Winnipeg and (likely) Québec. Once the situation is right again, the NHL may well come calling. And as ... maligned as the Thrashers identity was, I'd wager than you're well ahead of Hartford & the much loved Whaler identity.

Old
12-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Bongo

Atlanta will not get another hockey team. The hatred for Bettman and the league that exist here today has more to do with allowing ASG to poison their brand in such an important market than it does losing a bottom feeder franchise that never had a chance to ever be anything else. Bettman's is suppose to be doing what is best for the league long term. To allow these idiots and their toady Don Waddell to deliberately sabotage the team, set it up to fail, and kill any casual or new fans interest in the sport; borders on criminal negligence. After losing two team through no fault of the fanbase, NHL hockey in my hometown is dead and buried.

I still love hockey. I still love the team and wish the guys nothing but success. They could have moved to the 2nd Level of Hell and they'd still be better off than working for these f*#cks.

As a result of all this, a third team will have a harder time getting off the ground than the Flames did in early 70's. Ain't gonna happen.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
Atlanta will not get another hockey team. The hatred for Bettman and the league that exist here today has more to do with allowing ASG to poison their brand in such an important market than it does losing a bottom feeder franchise that never had a chance to ever be anything else. Bettman's is suppose to be doing what is best for the league long term. To allow these idiots and their toady Don Waddell to deliberately sabotage the team, set it up to fail, and kill any casual or new fans interest in the sport; borders on criminal negligence. After losing two team through no fault of the fanbase, NHL hockey in my hometown is dead and buried.

I still love hockey. I still love the team and wish the guys nothing but success. They could have moved to the 2nd Level of Hell and they'd still be better off than working for these f*#cks.

As a result of all this, a third team will have a harder time getting off the ground than the Flames did in early 70's. Ain't gonna happen.
People said all this about MLB and DC and look where that ended up. Granted that that situation had the Orioles sabotaging any attempt to put a team in DC for many years and even after there may have been influence from them to cripple a team there, but still...

Old
12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
I don't think a new arena more than ASG declares bankruptcy and someone stable buys Philips and the Hawks and refurbishes Philips.
So the first order of business in order to get a team back is ASG has to go bankrupt. Hmmm this may take a while.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Shawa666

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
People said all this about MLB and DC and look where that ended up. Granted that that situation had the Orioles sabotaging any attempt to put a team in DC for many years and even after there may have been influence from them to cripple a team there, but still...
I will hate Jeffrey Loria and Bud Selig until I die.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:40 AM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
So the first order of business in order to get a team back is ASG has to go bankrupt. Hmmm this may take a while.
I wouldn't say that they need to go bankrupt, but they need to get tired of the sports scene and sell to new owners who then might just have an interest in hockey. That or the city needs to build another arena. In reality, neither option is something I'd expect for quite a long time. But yes, due to the way the Thrashers were mishandled in Atlanta, the NHL might very well consider returning there, though the time it takes to create the scenario to make it possible is also probably about the same amount of time it'll take for the NHL to consider Atlanta a third time around. It's all very unfortunate for NHL fans in Atlanta... They got screwed!

Old
12-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Telfo
THRASHERS

ASG had a deal to sell the Hawks/Arena to a guy and apparently that fell thru because the guy had no money basically.... like 80% of the purchase was supposed to be financed by ASG to begin with...LOL.

I cant wait til they are gone from this town for good. I just wish it had happened a few years earlier so the Thrashers could have been salvaged.

Closed Thread