HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion part VI

Old
02-16-2015, 01:40 PM
loppa

vCash: 500
KHL Expansion part VI

The old topic was locked, so we may as well have a new one.

Is spartak confirmed for next season or is it still just speculation?

loppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2015, 01:44 PM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppa View Post
Is spartak confirmed for next season or is it still just speculation?
Vladimir Shalayev said that it's confirmed.

Urbanskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2015, 01:45 PM
loppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanskog View Post
Vladimir Shalayev said that it's confirmed.
Who is he?

I hope he's wrong.

Old
02-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

Quote:
Who is he?

I hope he's wrong.
The President of Avangard Omsk, the odds are he isn't.

Old
02-16-2015, 01:52 PM
loppa

Quote:
The President of Avangard Omsk, the odds are he isn't.
But that statement was made before the economic/political turmoil, right? ;)

Old
02-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

Quote:
But that statement was made before the economic/political turmoil, right?
The article was actually published today:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/khl/2015021619204399_jr.shtml

Old
02-21-2015, 02:14 PM
loppa

Quick question... how is it that Lada rejoined the league? They got a new arena, yes, but isn't it bellow the specified rules for minimum arena size? Or did they get some exception or were accepted before this rule came into effect?

Old
02-21-2015, 02:37 PM
Sucrologist
Rhymesayers Fanboy

Quote:
Quick question... how is it that Lada rejoined the league? They got a new arena, yes, but isn't it bellow the specified rules for minimum arena size? Or did they get some exception or were accepted before this rule came into effect?
They never left the league legally. They were just not allowed to play because their arena was too bad even by the old rules, but they stayed in the system because the other criteria were fine. When they came back, the old rules were still applied to them.

Sucrologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2015, 02:41 PM
loppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucrologist View Post
They never left the league legally. They were just not allowed to play because their arena was too bad even by the old rules, but they stayed in the system because the other criteria were fine. When they came back, the old rules were still applied to them.
And what about Vladivostok and their tiny arena? They had plans to expand the seats but I think that those plans have disappeared?

Old
02-21-2015, 05:17 PM
stars33

I like the KHL. I sometimes watch a game here in the US on ONEWORLD SPORTS. The league had grand plans to expand across Europe and Asia but now i am not sure. Is Russian politics getting in the way? And don't Russian Politicians know that if you make a law restraining foreigners to join the league the supply of hockey players in Russia will go down while demand will go up. This will make it more expensive to supply each KHL team with top level talent.

stars33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2015, 05:23 PM
stars33

Again I do not understand the Russian way of thinking. They say the KHL is to build a strong Russian national team. The KHL should be to build a strong KHL. That motivates young athletes to play the sport of Ice Hockey and make it their career. Young Russian hockey players every where dreaming to be a Multi-Millionaire stars playing in the KHL will create a surplus of talent for the Russian national team.
The NHL does not care about USA national team at all. However, the US national team is one of the best. Because young American athletes dream about becoming the best and being superstar in the NHL.

stars33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Sucrologist
Rhymesayers Fanboy

Quote:
And what about Vladivostok and their tiny arena? They had plans to expand the seats but I think that those plans have disappeared?
Vladivostok joined the league because of the federal Far East development plan and Fetisov's lobby in particular. Arena size was not that important for that time, I think there were news about building a larger arena, but it would be not soon and unlikely as for current economic conditions anyways.

Old
02-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Lada was excluded from the KHL because of lack of funding that led to suspending the new arena construction. After the new Lada Arena was finished, they were allowed back into KHL. The stadium's capacity is 6122, which is above the minimum requirements, but below the more ambitious over 9000 recommendations.

Same for the Fetisov Arena. It fits the requirements.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2015, 10:49 PM
loppa

Quote:
Vladivostok joined the league because of the federal Far East development plan and Fetisov's lobby in particular. Arena size was not that important for that time, I think there were news about building a larger arena, but it would be not soon and unlikely as for current economic conditions anyways.
Can't they build a bigger capacity by simply retrofitting the seats in the current arena? If I am not mistaken, there is way too much room inbetween the seats in the current arena, compared to other arenas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Lada was excluded from the KHL because of lack of funding that led to suspending the new arena construction. After the new Lada Arena was finished, they were allowed back into KHL. The stadium's capacity is 6122, which is above the minimum requirements, but below the more ambitious over 9000 recommendations.

Same for the Fetisov Arena. It fits the requirements.
Hold on, so there are minimum requirements? What are those minimum requirements?

Old
02-22-2015, 12:30 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Can't they build a bigger capacity by simply retrofitting the seats in the current arena? If I am not mistaken, there is way too much room inbetween the seats in the current arena, compared to other arenas?
No, the space between the seats is pretty average.

Quote:
Hold on, so there are minimum requirements? What are those minimum requirements?
5500 seats.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2015, 12:46 AM
loppa

Quote:
No, the space between the seats is pretty average.
Hm, my bad, sorry.

Quote:
5500 seats.
There is actually something good in this. It means that Oslo "can" join based on the arena requirement.

Old
02-22-2015, 05:34 AM
Sucrologist
Rhymesayers Fanboy

Quote:
There is actually something good in this. It means that Oslo "can" join based on the arena requirement.
It was said multiple times by the league's administration that the KHL now seeks for teams from Sweden/Germany/Switzerland (and Prague's comeback I guess) not from Norway/Italy/elsewhere. That's exactly the reason why Valerenga's application was rejected prior to this season.
+ Oslo pulled out its Olympic bid.

Old
02-22-2015, 09:46 AM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's exactly the reason why Valerenga's application was rejected prior to this season.
"Rejected"? Vålerenga put the project on hold by themselves due to certain changes in the political climate of Europe.

Old
02-22-2015, 12:00 PM
loppa

Vålerenga and the KHL had very constructive talks, as I recall. Their discussions were geared towards the team joining the year after Jokerit joined, just because it was a bit too soon to join right away. I think that there is a good chance for them to join this next season or the season after this next season. But, we won't know where the next expansion place is until it get announced, I think...

Old
02-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Vålerenga and the KHL had very constructive talks, as I recall. Their discussions were geared towards the team joining the year after Jokerit joined, just because it was a bit too soon to join right away. I think that there is a good chance for them to join this next season or the season after this next season. But, we won't know where the next expansion place is until it get announced, I think...
Nope, they put the plans on hold as Urbanskog already said.

http://www.nrk.no/sport/vif-bryter-s...khl-1.11922511

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2015, 12:44 PM
loppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Nope, they put the plans on hold as Urbanskog already said.
Yes, and I still stand by my words that I think there is a good chance that they will join next season or the following one, because, things change. Unlike you and your constant pessimistic forecasts (which are generally all wrong), most things do change in some way. I predict positive change, and you are free to agree or disagree however much you want.

Old
02-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Sucrologist
Rhymesayers Fanboy

Quote:
"Rejected"? Vålerenga put the project on hold by themselves due to certain changes in the political climate of Europe.
For the reasons that you have stated, they froze their plans regarding joing the league after the start of the 2014-2015 season already, but before that they applied for this season and were rejected if I remember correctly.

Old
02-22-2015, 06:37 PM
BlueBratislava

Why would Oslo play the KHL in their tiny old stadium? That's why the KHL diplomatically said no and Norwegians put it on hold at the same time, because both of them realized it's not worth it. It's too bad that such a rich and nice city does not have a representative hockey arena. Doesn't have to be big, but just about any arena would be a major improvement compared to status quo...

BlueBratislava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
For the reasons that you have stated, they froze their plans regarding joing the league after the start of the 2014-2015 season already, but before that they applied for this season and were rejected if I remember correctly.
Nope, they suspended it for one year so they could build a team with more time but then they put all plans on hold.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2015, 05:13 AM
Arlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stars33 View Post
Again I do not understand the Russian way of thinking. They say the KHL is to build a strong Russian national team. The KHL should be to build a strong KHL. .
I agree with this aspect. I would like to hear and see how KHL officials are talking about making the league stronger and attractive.

Think this way of approaching the things represents one impediment for other organisations in Europe to think about joining KHL, as currently, if you are not backed by some Russian money you can't compete at this level (or it's really hard).

I know about talks of sharing TV rights and other revenues, but this should have been already in place and many more commercial aspects that would make someone saying 'OK, let's join KHL and earn considerable money'.

Arlus is offline   Reply With Quote