HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Milan Michalek- **Update** Out with Concussion

Old
12-14-2011, 01:33 PM
SIMMAN

vCash: 500
It is evident that we will never get rid of all concussions - Giroux and MM9 were both were hurt in collissions with their teammates. Players are both bigger and faster. It is not rocket science but it is Einsteinian physics - E=M*Vsquared.

Would it help if the players actually do up their chin straps as is mandatory in minor hockey (instead of 2-3 inches below the chin)?

SIMMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:41 PM
slamigo
Skate or Die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I'm not saying helmets will take them out of the game.... nothing is going to.
Not so fast. Some researchers are trying to design a neck guard that applies pressure to the jugulars in the back of your neck. Apparently, this keeps slightly more fluid inside your skull, which radically restricts the brain's ability to slosh around and contact the sides. The collar would not even be very tight. About the same tension as a pair of headphones and the front could double as a regular neck guard.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...athletes-heads

slamigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post
Not so fast. Some researchers are trying to design a neck guard that applies pressure to the jugulars in the back of your neck. Apparently, this keeps slightly more fluid inside your skull, which radically restricts the brain's ability to slosh around and contact the sides. The collar would not even be very tight. About the same tension as a pair of headphones and the front could double as a regular neck guard.

Thanks for posting that, didn't know about that.

It's gonna take time before the science really starts turning into something.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:47 PM
ShotDownCrosby

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamigo View Post

Yeah, definitely interesting!

Good read! Thanks

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjCaIICkE8E

First play shown on the NHL Network Update or whatever the hell it's called.

It's hard to say maybe it was the whiplash because I don't really see his head smacking the ice in that replay.
i see the side of his head and shoulder hitting the ice.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:02 PM
RafaNadal

Any report on Gonchar? I have heard that he also is out with concussion but cant find any thread about it...

RafaNadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
HappyDude
Classless

I hate to say I told you so but I ****ing told you so. This is why we should trade this guy while his stock is high. He is injury prone than like all the other countrymen. Havlat, Hemsky, Gaborik....
Everyone is going to say "oh this is a one time thing, it was an accident blah blah blah. The fact is he has a major history of injuries and we should trade this guy while his stock is artificially inflated.

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:24 PM
ShotDownCrosby

I think that may be a little too much.

Unless Michalek is out weeks and weeks --- I`m not really concerned.

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Michalek's stats are largely a product of him playing with Spezza, but he is still an awesome player and has been on fire for us. Just in the right place at the right time most of the time. It will be a loss for him not to play a few games, but it's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. Our real problem is defensive responsibility. We've got goals coming in from everywhere right now.

If he's out for an extended period though it could get hairy, but losing Michalek alone, even from our depleted line-up, isn't going to take us to the bottom of the league.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Max Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDude View Post
I hate to say I told you so but I ****ing told you so. This is why we should trade this guy while his stock is high. He is injury prone than like all the other countrymen. Havlat, Hemsky, Gaborik....
Everyone is going to say "oh this is a one time thing, it was an accident blah blah blah. The fact is he has a major history of injuries and we should trade this guy while his stock is artificially inflated.
Winner/Gagnant

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:
Everyone gets injured, Crosby, Giroux are both on the shelf. Spezza is usually good to miss 10-15 games a year, Gonchar and Kuba are out, Carkner just came back from a long injury.

Honestly, saying I told you so because 9MM is injured is ridiculous.

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
that's a joke right?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Max Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Michalek's stats are largely a product of him playing with Spezza, but he is still an awesome player and has been on fire for us. Just in the right place at the right time most of the time. It will be a loss for him not to play a few games, but it's not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. Our real problem is defensive responsibility. We've got goals coming in from everywhere right now.

If he's out for an extended period though it could get hairy, but losing Michalek alone, even from our depleted line-up, isn't going to take us to the bottom of the league.
WT? Last night was the first time I've seen him play consistently with Michalek all season I think

It did show what Spezza can do if he has someone to pass to

Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:34 PM
koreaboy

if they are reporting "concussion" it has to mean two things:

-he had symptoms, headaches, nausea or dizziness
-that means by the NHL protocol he has to be out AT LEAST a week

the very best case scenario in this is he misses the next week if he wakes up tomorrow with no symptoms. this is not good. not good at all. this team CANNOT afford him being out for any length of time.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
WT? Last night was the first time I've seen him play consistently with Michalek all season I think

It did show what Spezza can do if he has someone to pass to
Until we went on that 3 game losing skid IIRC Spezza and Michalek were lining up regularly throughout the start of the season, and have been lining up together for the last few games. They also play together on the powerplay.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Batali Crocs*

i think this injury is gonna make us fall down the standings back into lottery contention..

Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
i think this injury is gonna make us fall down the standings back into lottery contention..

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:52 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
He's so squirreley

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Savannah Skunk

Quote:
All I have to say to this is "Thank you Dany Heatley!"

At least this guy WANTS to be part of the team. He is a vital part of our team, why trade that away.

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Magix

Quote:
smh seriously?

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:51 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post

I would argue the reverse, Michalek has also gotten a lot of points all on his own stealing pucks, short handed, driving the net but a few have come from being lined up next to Spezza. Spezza has been lucky to play with Michalek & was lucky to have touched the puck just before Michalek scores on numerous occassions. I like that line with Greening, Michalek & Spezza, they have a size, speed, strength, skill & scoring combination that is hard to match.

On head shots - I wonder why we don`t hear more about concussions in sports like Boxing & MMA? You would think with all the shots in the head those guys get they would have problems with concussions in almost every fight.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Getting back on the Fail for Nail bandwaggon!

AAAAALLLLL AAAAAABBBBBOOOOAAAARDDDDDDDDD

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:40 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
God dammit. I didn't want to come Hooke to this news

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
lol... Some people are funny, you're one of those!

A concussion can, and will, happen to anyone... Not just MM because he's so Injury Prone

As for my opinion, ****. Worst timing possible, takes the scoring lead and wham.... Let's just hope it's not long term

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote