HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaffray and Kulda clear waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-14-2011, 01:52 PM
  #1
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,988
vCash: 500
Jaffray and Kulda clear waivers

Quote:
Jason Jaffray (WPG) on waivers. Peters (CAR), Kulda (WPG) and Rismiller (COL) clear waivers.
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzie


Last edited by Hammer Slammer: 12-15-2011 at 06:34 PM.
WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:53 PM
  #2
PostmanPat1919
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Kulda clears waivers; Jaffray placed on waivers [mod edit:] cleared

Kulda clears and Jaffray placed on waivers.

Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
Jason Jaffray (WPG) on waivers. Peters (CAR), Kulda (WPG) and Rismiller (COL) clear waivers.
https://twitter.com/#!/TSNBobMcKenzi...24980117422080


Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 12-15-2011 at 03:46 PM.
PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
  #3
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,549
vCash: 50
Anyone gonna ***** about this one?

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:57 PM
  #4
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Jones is ****!@!@!

Nah but this was sorely needed, Jaffray was given way too many undeserved opportunities.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
  #5
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,808
vCash: 1090
That is good news. I really think Chevy botched this one up. I would love to have someone ask him why he allowed Kulda to be exposed to the waiver wire when he could have easily sent him down 48 hours earlier. Hainsey had to be looking good because he obviously played on Tuesday night. If Hainsey was that close, the team could have just brought up Festerling, Redmond, or Postma for 1 game to eat 4 minutes in order to not expose Kulda to waivers.

Not saying that Kulda is going to be an all-star, but he is 23 and has not looked out of place on the bottom pairing. He also brings a level of nastiness that other D men on the roster don't. With another season under his belt, he easily could be on our bottom pair next year if we don't sign any UFA's and Oduya and Jones bolt.

The handling of the whole situation gives me some concern as to the level of detail that our management team is monitoring.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
  #6
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,988
vCash: 500
My thread was made first

I'm glad Jaffray got a chance to play on team, but really he's not an NHL-calibre forward. Flood is at least producing, but Jaffray does nothing.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:01 PM
  #7
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,549
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Jones is ****!@!@!

Nah but this was sorely needed, Jaffray was given way too many undeserved opportunities.
I know everyone is just giving me the biz about my manlove for Jonesy but OT and honestly Lynk, do you think that Jones would have cleared if he was put on waivers... and do you think that would have been the best move for this team?

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:10 PM
  #8
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland
 
atl thrasher344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,979
vCash: 500
So Klingberg still stays up to ride the bench for 90% of the game?

At least Jaffray is a finished product and doesn't need developing.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:10 PM
  #9
Jet Bomber
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jet Bomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
I definitely think Jones would clear waivers.

Jet Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:17 PM
  #10
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I know everyone is just giving me the biz about my manlove for Jonesy but OT and honestly Lynk, do you think that Jones would have cleared if he was put on waivers... and do you think that would have been the best move for this team?
No I don't think he would clear.

With all the guff that he gets on this board I don't have any issues with him.

Early in the season I wasn't a huge fan but things have progressed and when he plays I really don't notice him which is a good thing.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:25 PM
  #11
Mungman
It's you not me.
 
Mungman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outside the Asylum
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
That is good news. I really think Chevy botched this one up. I would love to have someone ask him why he allowed Kulda to be exposed to the waiver wire when he could have easily sent him down 48 hours earlier. Hainsey had to be looking good because he obviously played on Tuesday night. If Hainsey was that close, the team could have just brought up Festerling, Redmond, or Postma for 1 game to eat 4 minutes in order to not expose Kulda to waivers.

Not saying that Kulda is going to be an all-star, but he is 23 and has not looked out of place on the bottom pairing. He also brings a level of nastiness that other D men on the roster don't. With another season under his belt, he easily could be on our bottom pair next year if we don't sign any UFA's and Oduya and Jones bolt.

The handling of the whole situation gives me some concern as to the level of detail that our management team is monitoring.
The bolded would be a pretty douchy way to treat your farm team and players. I can't see TNSE doing that, they of anyone know how to treat a farm organization (especially since they still own the team).

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
  #12
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er
 
Kinjero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Saint John, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,124
vCash: 500
this is good news.

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:32 PM
  #13
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,988
vCash: 500
I think the Jones hate stems from the fact that we just don't need him.

His one-way contract, 1 million dollar salary and the fact that he was one of the first UFAs the Jets 2.0 ever signed make him a lock. In terms of depth, he's probably our 7th defenseman, but the fact that we have him means that we can't give his ice time to a guy like Kulda or Postma.

Current defensive depth:

Enstrom
Bogosian
Byfuglien
Hainsey
Stuart
Oduya
Jones
Flood
Kulda
Meech
Postma


Last edited by WJG: 12-14-2011 at 02:37 PM.
WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:36 PM
  #14
sipowicz
The Original
 
sipowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,544
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
So Klingberg still stays up to ride the bench for 90% of the game?

At least Jaffray is a finished product and doesn't need developing.
Don't know if that will be the case, with Burmi, Antro, Fehr and Mirttinen all healthy Stapleton will be the reserve forward and Klingberg and Jaffray will be back in St. Johns.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:50 PM
  #15
Jet
Moderator
Stand by your man
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Whipanegg
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,549
vCash: 50
I guess the reason I am such a staunch supporter of #12 is:

A> Everyone gangs up on him, and we should be supporting him, he is a Jet (I know I am a giant hypocrite because of Byfuglien)

I also believe that there will be a time this year when we are really happy we have him. I also think that if we make the playoffs depth guys like Jones are EXACTLY the types of guys you need to go deep. Injuries often kill the front runners for the cup, and if you have guys you can plug in with poise, experience and versatility you are ahead of the game.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  #16
MadMen88
Registered User
 
MadMen88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 606
vCash: 500
Nooooooooo.....Jason Jaffray is the man, I don't care what anyone says. Hopefully he comes back up in April Scores a big playoff goal.

MadMen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:18 PM
  #17
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes
 
vBurmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Totally lost
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 867
We dodged a bullet with Kulda clearing. Terrible asset management.

I've been defending Jones all year so far. I think he's a solid 6-7th guy. To me this wasn't about Kulda vs Jones, this was about possibly losing Kulda and getting nothing in return. Kulda should be sent down to get more minutes and continue to develop but he should have been sent down earlier.

If we lose Jones and/or Oduya next off-season, we'll likely need to bring up Kulda or Postma.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:20 PM
  #18
Roooski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 167
vCash: 50
Good moves. I liked Kulda but he doesn't fit as well as Flood. I would still like to see Postma get a few more oppourtunities this year.

I am surprised Jaffray was left up as long as he was. I guess he didn't make that many mistakes but neither does Stapleton and I think Stapleton does more to create chances.

Roooski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:20 PM
  #19
Guerzy
Serenity
 
Guerzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,562
vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I guess the reason I am such a staunch supporter of #12 is:

A> Everyone gangs up on him, and we should be supporting him, he is a Jet (I know I am a giant hypocrite because of Byfuglien)

I also believe that there will be a time this year when we are really happy we have him. I also think that if we make the playoffs depth guys like Jones are EXACTLY the types of guys you need to go deep. Injuries often kill the front runners for the cup, and if you have guys you can plug in with poise, experience and versatility you are ahead of the game.
100% agree.

To me, there is no such thing as too much depth. I actually love the fact we have a guy like Jones in the defence rotation because he is a fine guy with experience to play that #7 role while also being versatile enough to play a 5/6 role. A quality depth guy. Overpaid at 1.15 million? Yes, perhaps by a little, but we can afford it and management felt comfortable going this route so I am fine with it.

Heading into the season we didn't know if we could rely on Flood, Kulda, Postma, Festerling, etc. So we signed some veterans in Jones and a relatively solid tweener in Meech as it appeared management had a comfort/trust level with those guys.

We covered our bases, in my opinion. Dotted our i's and crossed our t's. And, given the injuries we've had thus far, these depth moves have served us well.


Last edited by Guerzy: 12-14-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:24 PM
  #20
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
100% agree.

To me, there is no such thing as too much depth.
That's what she said.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:35 PM
  #21
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,808
vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
The bolded would be a pretty douchy way to treat your farm team and players. I can't see TNSE doing that, they of anyone know how to treat a farm organization (especially since they still own the team).
Sorry, I don't agree. That's not douchy, that is how you are supposed to use your farm system. Players get called up to play 1 game all the time. Sometimes, a player will get called up, fly across the country, and then sit in the press box.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:40 PM
  #22
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,808
vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I guess the reason I am such a staunch supporter of #12 is:

A> Everyone gangs up on him, and we should be supporting him, he is a Jet (I know I am a giant hypocrite because of Byfuglien)

I also believe that there will be a time this year when we are really happy we have him. I also think that if we make the playoffs depth guys like Jones are EXACTLY the types of guys you need to go deep. Injuries often kill the front runners for the cup, and if you have guys you can plug in with poise, experience and versatility you are ahead of the game.
I think Jones is a pretty good fit for what we need. He's a veteran 6-7 D man, that we can put in and out of the lineup. I think he's been decent in the action I've seen of him so far. I would much rather have him out there than Flood.

I agree with your point regarding depth. I think having him on the roster is a good thing. Like you said, at some point we may need to give him more minutes due to injury. We would be very happy we had him then.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:55 PM
  #23
trebendan
Registered User
 
trebendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
I'd like to see Klingberg sent down, too. I don't think he's developing up with the big club by playing only 5 minutes a game. If we need another forward, bring up Machacek - he's had enough minor league experience now.

trebendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
  #24
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
That is good news. I really think Chevy botched this one up. I would love to have someone ask him why he allowed Kulda to be exposed to the waiver wire when he could have easily sent him down 48 hours earlier. Hainsey had to be looking good because he obviously played on Tuesday night. If Hainsey was that close, the team could have just brought up Festerling, Redmond, or Postma for 1 game to eat 4 minutes in order to not expose Kulda to waivers.

Not saying that Kulda is going to be an all-star, but he is 23 and has not looked out of place on the bottom pairing. He also brings a level of nastiness that other D men on the roster don't. With another season under his belt, he easily could be on our bottom pair next year if we don't sign any UFA's and Oduya and Jones bolt.

The handling of the whole situation gives me some concern as to the level of detail that our management team is monitoring.
Don't see how Chevy botched anything. Kulda cleared waivers. He's a 10th ranked defenceman on a mediocre team. He knew very well no one would take him. Which team would he make a top 7 position for the remainder of the season exactly? Net result of him clearing waivers or not clearing waivers is him playing in St. Johns. All he did was save himself the needless call up of another player to fill in for a game.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 04:19 PM
  #25
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,808
vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Don't see how Chevy botched anything. Kulda cleared waivers. He's a 10th ranked defenceman on a mediocre team. He knew very well no one would take him. Which team would he make a top 7 position for the remainder of the season exactly? Net result of him clearing waivers or not clearing waivers is him playing in St. Johns. All he did was save himself the needless call up of another player to fill in for a game.
I'm not going to rehash my posts from the PGT here, but it's not the fact that Kulda cleared. It's the fact that he shouldn't have been exposed to waivers in the first place. Brutal asset management.

As to the bolded, there is NO way Chevy could know that.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.