HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Fail is ON! (the 2012 draft thread)

Old
03-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
if we finish where we are now:

#6 - Forsberg or Galchenyuk (depending on who's on the board)
#36 - Martin Frk (highly doubtful he's still there)/Tom Wilson/Tomas Hertl/Pontus Aberg/Teuvo Teravainen
#45 - Lukas Sutter
#66 - Matia Marcantuoni
#96 - Brian Hart

after them:
Thomas Spelling, Mikko Lehtonen, Max Iafrate, Quentin Shore

those are at least the guys I like. This year is wide open after the top 6 or 7 prospects though.
Crazy to see him down at 66 after his preseason ranking. Didn't he crack the top 10 at one point in the ISS rankings, sometime in September?

Happy to take him in the third round. Can't teach that kind of speed.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 07:51 AM
TheBigKahuna

The Canes may very well end up drafting as far back as 9-13th! Enough of this winning!

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:46 AM
totaltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
The Canes may very well end up drafting as far back as 9-13th! Enough of this winning!
Radek Faska will not be a bad booby prize for all this winning. Just sayin'. Plus this way, the team can take Faska -- who fits in their comfort area perfectly -- and not be accused of reaching.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:55 AM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Radek Faska will not be a bad booby prize for all this winning. Just sayin'. Plus this way, the team can take Faska -- who fits in their comfort area perfectly -- and not be accused of reaching.
Last time they "reached" in the first round, it turned out quite well. I *really* hope that no organization worries about being "accused" of reaching for any reason. You just make the pick that you think is best. Again, I hope.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:01 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
...and it makes CharlieGirl have an absolute fit. I'll take it.

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 12:31 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
Last time they "reached" in the first round, it turned out quite well. I *really* hope that no organization worries about being "accused" of reaching for any reason. You just make the pick that you think is best. Again, I hope.
I honestly hope, that if they don't end up with one of the big 4, that they take Faksa or "reach" for Frk. Both of those guys would fit what we need perfectly, which is a bit of size that plays like size up front to go along with legit top 6 skill.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/03/17/...and-high-price

Quote:
Apparently, if Columbus GM Scott Howson is still employed by the Jackets come draft day, he plans to use the No. 1 pick to take Swedish LW Filip Forsberg ahead of the top-ranked prospect, RW Nail Yakupov of Sarnia.
From Bruce Garrioch. Not expected that Howson has a job OR that they wouldn't try to trade down if this is true, but still interesting nonetheless.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:01 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

I get that the Jackets are scared off by Russian players after getting burnt by Zherdev and uberbust Filatov. But he's ****ing nuts if he passes on Nail to draft Forsberg. For the sake of that organizations future I hope they at least trade the pick down instead and try to get as many possible assets out of whatever sucker wants the #1... provided it's not us he gets it out of.

Old
03-18-2012, 02:37 PM
totaltank

Garrioch is probably doing one of his cronies a favor, trying to make sure Howson gets fired, opening up an NHL GM position.

Old
03-18-2012, 06:43 PM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
Assuming we keep winning and fall out of the top 5, I'd be very happy w/ Faksa. Guess we'll see what happens tho =)

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Does anyone still listen to a thing Bruce Garrioch says? He's on the same level as Eklund.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2012, 07:47 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Does anyone still listen to a thing Bruce Garrioch says? He's on the same level as Eklund.
Nope, or at least they shouldn't.

I definitely CAN see the Jackets trying to move the pick though. There's no reason for them to keep it right now if they are scared off of drafting Nail due to the KHL factor and getting burnt by high draft pick Russians very recently. But the idea that they'd take Forsberg over Nail or Mikhail is just absurd when instead they could possibly get a pretty damn nice package trading down to 3-5 and still get Forsberg.

Then again this is Howson we're talking about, that alone brings Don Waddell level incompetence into play here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Crazy to see him down at 66 after his preseason ranking. Didn't he crack the top 10 at one point in the ISS rankings, sometime in September?

Happy to take him in the third round. Can't teach that kind of speed.
Yep, just not sure why it didn't click for him this year, but if we can get him in the 3rd or even our later 2nd I won't be complaining.

Old
03-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Sens1Canes2

There was talk on HNIC that if Edmonton had the first or second overall pick, they possibly would either trade the pick outright, or trade down. Considering all of the young talent accrued over the last few drafts, I wouldn't have a problem with it as an Oilers fan.

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:43 AM
totaltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
There was talk on HNIC that if Edmonton had the first or second overall pick, they possibly would either trade the pick outright, or trade down. Considering all of the young talent accrued over the last few drafts, I wouldn't have a problem with it as an Oilers fan.
I think we're going to hear a lot of "trading down" rumors in this draft. Columbus doesn't want to be where the are for the obvious reasons, Edmonton doesn't want to be where they are because they'd just as soon take a d-man, the Islanders don't want any more young guys and want to add some veterans, etc.

The problem is that there's nothing really for lower-drafting teams to get excited about in the top 10 worth making a blockbuster trade.

As for us, if the four forwards are gone (Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Galchenyuk) and we're not sold on Faksa for one reason or another, and we're *forced* to take a d-man even with our current pipeline, I'd be excited if we added Griffin Reinhart.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
As for us, if the four forwards are gone (Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Galchenyuk) and we're not sold on Faksa for one reason or another, and we're *forced* to take a d-man even with our current pipeline, I'd be excited if we added Griffin Reinhart.
I wouldn't be so sure. There are a few targets that would make sense for us there. Namely, a kid from Markham playing in the OHL. We took one of those a few years ago, but this one is different. Brendan Gaunce projects to be exactly what we need down the middle. More offensive than Sutter and a strong fit for the second line. Ryan O'Reilly comparisons.

I think the lack of forward depth around the middle of the first round will see a few teams make some aggressive picks here. Gaunce is one of the safer picks in the draft and could be ready almost immediately. We tend to favor those kind of kids in the draft.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 08:37 AM
TheBigKahuna

Boychuck, Sangs and the Canes 1st for either Edmonton or Columbus' 1st rounder. Make it happen.

Old
03-29-2012, 08:41 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Edmonton/Columbus laugh and never deal with JR again. Neither of those players have much value.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Edmonton/Columbus laugh and never deal with JR again. Neither of those players have much value.
But if Edmonton's going to just draft a Dman ANYWAY, isn't it better than nothing?

(This is assuming no one else tries to trade up, which, to be honest, I don't think is out of the realm of possibility. I don't think these picks will garner all that much interest.)

Old
03-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
But if Edmonton's going to just draft a Dman ANYWAY, isn't it better than nothing?

(This is assuming no one else tries to trade up, which, to be honest, I don't think is out of the realm of possibility. I don't think these picks will garner all that much interest.)
Not really, if they were trading down a 3 or 4 spots its not a big deal but to go from 1st or 2nd to 9th or 10th is a big difference in the player you're getting. I don't see Edmonton trading outside the top 4 and I think they take Ryan Murray.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 09:57 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
Not really, if they were trading down a 3 or 4 spots its not a big deal but to go from 1st or 2nd to 9th or 10th is a big difference in the player you're getting. I don't see Edmonton trading outside the top 4 and I think they take Ryan Murray.
Plus I could see someone like Toronto offering a pretty decent package to get whomever they want.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

bingo. if we were picking #4 or 5 Edmonton would certainly consider something along the lines of the #2 for our pick plus Boychuk and/or Sangs.

But the dropoff from the top tier in this draft to where we'll be picking is just too much. Our only hope is to k̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶m̶a̶n̶ win the lottery.

Old
03-29-2012, 12:19 PM
BenchedGuy

Just was checking on the general feel for you guys and the draft. Seeing if Faksa and Marcantouni were on your radar. If you do take Faksa, all's we ask is leave him with us for another year in Kitchener as a thank you?

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:51 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

he'll likely be back in Kitchener next season unless he just flat out dominates in camp ala Skinner if we draft him. Not that we couldn't use the forward help, there's just only a couple slots up front that are open right now with only Bowman, Tlusty, and Samson yet to be re-signed of our forwards.

Old
03-29-2012, 01:12 PM
BenchedGuy

Faksa can play the wing as well as center. He has the body to play in the NHL at 6'3" 202lbs along with his style. So I think he will surprise some (for Kitchener's sake I hope not yet)

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
TheBigKahuna

Would offering McBain and our 1st garner more attention than a prospect out of Charlotte?

Unless JR has plans on trading a couple of d-men, even with our two UFAs walking, the Canes may have too many d-men.