HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Fail is ON! (the 2012 draft thread)

Old
03-29-2012, 02:56 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Probably, but again I highly doubt they want to move past the #5 spot if they can avoid it.

There's obviously the big 2 forwards with Forsberg and Galchenyuk not too far behind. But on D there's Murray, Dumba, and Trouba with another tier behind them. They'll want to guarantee that they get one of those 3 dmen though.

We just need to get it that baring a miracle in the draft lottery or overblown concerns about Galchenyuk we're going to be looking at (most likely) Faksa, Guance, or Frk.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:14 PM
totaltank

vCash: 500
I'm sorry guys, but I just don't see the point of trading up in this draft -- even to the top. Now I'd have been happy if the Canes could have just kept losing and we "earned" the No. 2 pick, but right now, I wouldn't trade anything to move up. I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way, either. The guys at the top either underperformed, got hurt or are Russian (or some combination of all the above). I just don't see anyone who screams "franchise player" at the top of this draft, or even "future All-Star." I see a lot of question marks, injury concerns, shaky character, and potential KHLers, and definitely nothing worth giving up assets to acquire.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

i just want a player who's ready or one year away to make an impact. Canes keep talking like they'll have money to spend so obviously the goal is not to finish last the next few years.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The thing about Gaunce is that players of his ilk are ready pretty quickly. Think O'Reilly and Bergeron, for example. Not usually the first guys off the board, but they have a complete game that will translate to the professional style. The only thing is that in a draft this weak with top end talent, Gaunce is going to be a Top 15 pick instead of an early 2nd rounder like the aforementioned guys. Limited upside will not be a concern there.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:19 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Faksa is out of the playoffs indefinitely with an upper body injury. Looks like he's concussed.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:49 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

So we are picking somewhere between 6-10. I feel like we should go BPA, even if it is a d-man.

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:24 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMPV View Post
So we are picking somewhere between 6-10. I feel like we should go BPA, even if it is a d-man.
Agree, I feel like we should go BPA no matter where we pick in the 1st round. If it's truly a toss-up between 2 guys, then the tie-breaker goes to the one that fills the biggest need, but otherwise, BPA. This team still has too many holes to be picky.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 06:39 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Here's a name to keep your eye on: Teuvo Teräväinen

Late birthday (one of the youngest players in the draft) and he's been a fast riser late in the season. Productive against guys a lot older then him in what's the 3rd or 4th best league in the world and just flat out dominated what little time he saw on their Junior team. There's been some speculation that he might not be far off the big 4 up front.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:37 AM
totaltank

Did we just effectively add Guance with the signing of Jeremy Welsh? Or to put in another way, what does the signing of Welsh do for our draft outlook? Where would he be on the list if he were draft eligible?

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:42 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Did we just effectively add Guance with the signing of Jeremy Welsh? Or to put in another way, what does the signing of Welsh do for our draft outlook? Where would he be on the list if he were draft eligible?
Maybe a 2nd rounder due to age. I don't think this changes who we'll be drafting or what position we'll be looking at in the first. To me adding Welsh is making up for the epic ****up of drafting Paradis in the first in 09 more then anything.

I will say that I'm not so sure anymore that we'll draft Wilson if he's on the board with our 2nd rounder though.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Maybe a 2nd rounder due to age. I don't think this changes who we'll be drafting or what position we'll be looking at in the first. To me adding Welsh is making up for the epic ****up of drafting Paradis in the first in 09 more then anything.

I will say that I'm not so sure anymore that we'll draft Wilson if he's on the board with our 2nd rounder though.
Re: Paradis. I don't know enough about everyone drafted after Paradis, but which of these guys (taken with the next 10 picks) would you take over Tlusty (who we got for Paradis).

Dylan Olsen
Carter Ashton
Simon Despres
Mikko Koskinen
Landon Ferraro
Ryan O'Reilly
Carl Klingberg
Chris Brown
Mat Clark
Alex Chiasson

Old
04-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Re: Paradis. I don't know enough about everyone drafted after Paradis, but which of these guys (taken with the next 10 picks) would you take over Tlusty (who we got for Paradis).

Dylan Olsen
Carter Ashton
Simon Despres
Mikko Koskinen
Landon Ferraro
Ryan O'Reilly
Carl Klingberg
Chris Brown
Mat Clark
Alex Chiasson
Over Tlusty right now? Definitely O'Reilly, and then personally probably Despres. Otherwise, none of them.

Anton Dubinchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Over Tlusty right now? Definitely O'Reilly, and then personally probably Despres. Otherwise, none of them.
Yeah, that's what I was kind of thinking but honestly don't know enough about some of those players.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:59 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post

Dylan Olsen
Carter Ashton
Simon Despres
Mikko Koskinen
Landon Ferraro
Ryan O'Reilly
Carl Klingberg
Chris Brown
Mat Clark
Alex Chiasson
O'Reilly easily, Despres probably, Klingberg, Ashton (who I actually didn't like much at that draft lol), and Chiasson possibly.

but yeah, full credit to JR for getting SOMETHING productive out of that pick via trade. Still doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible draft choice.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Still doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible draft choice.
Oh agree. No doubt about that.

Drafting in the late 1st can be a crap shoot and many of those guys might never amount to anything, but Paradis was a terrible pick even considering that.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
So it looks like we should be all but locked into the 7th overall pick in this draft. Minnesota, Anaheim, and Toronto could have passed us with a win but oddly enough all teams lost!

It's a weird spot to try to predict as I think the first "personal preference" choices really start around 4th-5th overall outside of the consensus. We shall see.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
NEVER 4GET

We are 8th.

1. Columbus
2. Edmonton
3. Montreal
4. NY Islanders
5. Toronto
6. Anaheim
7. Minnesota
8. Carolina
9. Winnipeg
10. Tampa Bay

04-07-2012, 09:18 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
So it looks like we should be all but locked into the 7th overall pick in this draft. Minnesota, Anaheim, and Toronto could have passed us with a win but oddly enough all teams lost!

It's a weird spot to try to predict as I think the first "personal preference" choices really start around 4th-5th overall outside of the consensus. We shall see.

8th overall.

Columbus, Edmonton, Montreal, NYI, Toronto, Anaheim, Minnesota, Us

EDIT:

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Novacane

Do you think we'll see another "Skinner" pick? Not meaning a player of his caliber, but a pick that is perceived as a reach by other teams, but is high on our boards.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:20 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Do you think we'll see another "Skinner" pick? Not meaning a player of his caliber, but a pick that is perceived as a reach by other teams, but is high on our boards.
Tuevo Teravainen is the best candidate for that. Or maybe Martin Frk.

Not sure which of the two I like more. Teravainen is another slippery slick forward with great skill on the puck.
Frk is just a pure skilled power forward who I have no doubt would have been considered a top 5 prospect this year had he been healthy all year. Currently putting up better then a PPG in the QMJHL playoffs.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:21 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
Tuevo Teravainen

What's the deal with him? I hadn't heard anything about him on here or anywhere really, and now I'm seeing his name pop up. Small player with high skill?

bilpeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:24 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Yep, prettymuch. Productive player on the same team that Pulkkinen plays for. Deep team so he hasn't gotten a lot of ice time. But he dominated their junior league and is one of the youngest players in the draft.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Novacane

Quote:
Yep, prettymuch. Productive player on the same team that Pulkkinen plays for. Deep team so he hasn't gotten a lot of ice time. But he dominated their junior league and is one of the youngest players in the draft.
It is a weird feeling finally being older than some of the players being drafted this year.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 09:28 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
It is a weird feeling finally being older than some of the players being drafted this year.
In a couple years we're going to be talking about kids coming down the pipeline that were born after my draft year.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
8th overall.

Columbus, Edmonton, Montreal, NYI, Toronto, Anaheim, Minnesota, Us

EDIT:

Most mock drafts have Forsberg going 8th. I take that with a grain of salt, but still....

And either way, the last time we "reached" with a pick at number 7, it turned out allright.

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote