HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Suter may be unhappy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2011, 08:58 AM
  #1
probertrules24
Registered User
 
probertrules24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Suter may be unhappy

There were rumblings last year that Suter may of been unhappy with Trotz and the coaching staff with the way the D-pairings are handled. With many Wings fans hoping for a chance to sign a guy like him this could only help right. Last year there was just talk and I don't believe anything was quoted in the media. I'm not saying that this is a major issue happening right now in their orginization just things like this weren't in the media last year.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...huffle-defense

Quote:
“I don’t know what’s going on,” Suter said. “We’re going to have to have a little talk with [the coaches] and figure it out. We need to know who we’re playing with. It’s too hard on young guys to not know who you’re playing with.”
If Suter realizes that the coaching staff isn't going anywhere and he wants to look elsewhere the Wings may have a shot in the offseason.

Thoughts? I know the article is a couple weeks old but I thought what the heck.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 08:59 AM
  #2
YouAreTheGovt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Probably not.

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:04 AM
  #3
nik jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Congo-Kinshasa
Posts: 10,526
vCash: 500



probably won't get him, though.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:07 AM
  #4
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pac NW
Country:
Posts: 29,603
vCash: 500
I wouldn't put any stock in an article where a player expresses frustration after a loss, or over pairings and such. The pressure starts to intensify at this point of the season as teams want to make sure they're still in a spot to get to the playoffs.

When Poile announces that contract talks have been suspended, THEN I'll get my hopes up.
\

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:08 AM
  #5
ricky0034
Registered User
 
ricky0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,279
vCash: 500
i'm just hoping Nashville continues to do well

only way the Wings have a chance even if he doesn't resign with them(which I still think he will) really(if Nashville thinks they won't be able to resign him they would probably try and trade him at the deadline,and it wouldn't be to the Wings but the better they are doing in the standings around the deadline the less likely they trade him at the deadline even if they don't think they can resign him)

but like I said,i'm still pretty sure he's going to resign in Nashville

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:12 AM
  #6
YouAreTheGovt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I wouldn't put any stock in an article where a player expresses frustration after a loss, or over pairings and such. The pressure starts to intensify at this point of the season as teams want to make sure they're still in a spot to get to the playoffs.

When Poile announces that contract talks have been suspended, THEN I'll get my hopes up.
\
This^

As a Preds fan, that is exactly what it was. I think our organization is trying to give Suter a larger piece of the media action. It's Suter on the posters and in the newspapers. It's Suter at our Skate of the Union event. Lots of Suter. Almost like we are preparing to lose Weber at the end of this year. If talks look grim later this season with him, David Poile will trade his rights to a team that he knows can get a signing done...probably outside of our new conference. I wouldn't look at Detroit being on that shopping list. If that happens, the Predators might as well pack up and leave town. It would be that devastating. Poile knows better.

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:12 AM
  #7
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,941
vCash: 500
This article is a few weeks old, and Suter has already addressed it. He said that his comments were in frustration, and that he was misunderstood. He isn't "unhappy". He was merely calling out the decision to start shuffling the d-pairings without anyone knowing. He was ok with it himself, but when you have young guys on the blueline, especially rookies or guys who are new to the team (Hillen, Josi, Blum) it makes it harder for them when they aren't sure who they will be paired with.

I doubt there is anything more to see here. He covered it, and it seems to be water under the bridge now. His agent was in town recently to have face-to-face meetings with Poile. He may still test the market, but bringing your agent to town isn't the move of a guy who is definitely wanting out.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:14 AM
  #8
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please
 
ArGarBarGar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 24,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This article is a few weeks old, and Suter has already addressed it. He said that his comments were in frustration, and that he was misunderstood. He isn't "unhappy". He was merely calling out the decision to start shuffling the d-pairings without anyone knowing. He was ok with it himself, but when you have young guys on the blueline, especially rookies or guys who are new to the team (Hillen, Josi, Blum) it makes it harder for them when they aren't sure who they will be paired with.

I doubt there is anything more to see here. He covered it, and it seems to be water under the bridge now. His agent was in town recently to have face-to-face meetings with Poile. He may still test the market, but bringing your agent to town isn't the move of a guy who is definitely wanting out.
Can't you see we are too busy pining for one of your players to think about his comments logically?

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:27 AM
  #9
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pac NW
Country:
Posts: 29,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Can't you see we are too busy pining for one of your players to think about his comments logically?



Very true. Weber and Suter don't even have to do or say something, and their names turn up on everyone's wish list. Tis the season.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:27 AM
  #10
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,941
vCash: 500
Oh ****. Sorry.

Carry on

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:29 AM
  #11
probertrules24
Registered User
 
probertrules24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post



probably won't get him, though.
My guess the only reason we wouldn't have a shot is if he doesn't want to leave Nashville. If he is indeed unhappy this can only help our chances and we will have the cap space.

Edit: forgot to mention I agree with many that he will be re-signed but a guy can still wish. Ideally though Weber would be the better fit with the right handed shot.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:49 AM
  #12
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 500
the major rumblings you heard was during the playoff series vs the ducks. Suter took a bonehead penalty and Trotzy wore his butt out on the bench and in the lockerroom. trotz doesn't do this often and it created a rift between the two. I don't know if they hashed it out or not, but that is where the unhappiness from last year came from.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
  #13
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Can't you see we are too busy pining for one of your players to think about his comments logically?


Hudler + 1st

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:35 PM
  #14
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,664
vCash: 515
I like Suter a lot and I am sure if he hits free agency the Wings and he will speak. But their are really only two ways he signs. One is that we actually pony up the pick before the draft and getting exclusive negotiating rights (have no idea how the CBA, potential lockout will impact this) so that he never makes it to free agency. The other one being he has already decided he wants to play for the Wings and is willing to do it for less than other offers. If he wants 7.5 million and somewhere near that cap hit, i.e. no funny business (If allowed by the CBA once again, that is really doubtful) where we can drive it down, I really don't think he is going to get it from us.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:51 PM
  #15
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Promiseland Walhalla
Posts: 3,503
vCash: 500
IF we get either him or Weber (which I would prefer), this franchise D core would be set for another decade.

I hope the Preds are doing well but like Fugu mentioned, when they announce contract talks are on hold or suspended then I'm starting to like our ability.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:57 PM
  #16
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,845
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
I like Suter a lot and I am sure if he hits free agency the Wings and he will speak. But their are really only two ways he signs. One is that we actually pony up the pick before the draft and getting exclusive negotiating rights (have no idea how the CBA, potential lockout will impact this) so that he never makes it to free agency. The other one being he has already decided he wants to play for the Wings and is willing to do it for less than other offers. If he wants 7.5 million and somewhere near that cap hit, i.e. no funny business (If allowed by the CBA once again, that is really doubtful) where we can drive it down, I really don't think he is going to get it from us.
Depends entirely on the term. If it's ten years, not a chance. If it's 5? Maybe. With Nashville's history, they'll send him to the Flyers at the deadline for a first rounder and change.

__________________
blah, blah, blah
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:38 PM
  #17
14ari13
Registered User
 
14ari13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Western Sahara
Country: Norway
Posts: 9,141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Depends entirely on the term. If it's ten years, not a chance. If it's 5? Maybe. With Nashville's history, they'll send him to the Flyers at the deadline for a first rounder and change.
Why not to the Wings?

I think the Preds overpaid for their goalie. This might screw it up for one of their Dmen. Or both.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:49 PM
  #18
YouAreTheGovt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Why not to the Wings?

I think the Preds overpaid for their goalie. This might screw it up for one of their Dmen. Or both.
I know the Preds are small potatoes to the Red Wings, but the Predator fan base considers Detroit their biggest nemesis (and with good reason). There is simply no way we'd trade Suter to Detroit unless the price paid was astronomically higher.

YouAreTheGovt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:57 PM
  #19
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
Edit: forgot to mention I agree with many that he will be re-signed but a guy can still wish. Ideally though Weber would be the better fit with the right handed shot.
Disagree. While Weber might be a better fit alongside Lidstrom, Suter is the better fit with Kronwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post


Hudler + 1st
And then bring Hudler back in the offseason because he's the best option as a second line forward given the available money after signing Suter, Helm, and Abdelkader? Especially as we know he has good chemistry with pretty much every top forward on the Wings.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:00 PM
  #20
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 13,845
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Why not to the Wings?

I think the Preds overpaid for their goalie. This might screw it up for one of their Dmen. Or both.
Oh, they could, it was more of a joke though that Nashville always seems to trade Philly.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:17 PM
  #21
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,664
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Disagree. While Weber might be a better fit alongside Lidstrom, Suter is the better fit with Kronwall.



And then bring Hudler back in the offseason because he's the best option as a second line forward given the available money after signing Suter, Helm, and Abdelkader? Especially as we know he has good chemistry with pretty much every top forward on the Wings.
Helm and Gator are not building real nice deals for themselves with their production right now. I think the Wings will sign both without arbitration, but neither is presenting a real scary case that we need to worry about right now. The money will still be there to get two star level players this off-season, so I disagree that Suter will be the only big addition and Hudler is then the best we could do.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:55 PM
  #22
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Helm and Gator are not building real nice deals for themselves with their production right now. I think the Wings will sign both without arbitration, but neither is presenting a real scary case that we need to worry about right now. The money will still be there to get two star level players this off-season, so I disagree that Suter will be the only big addition and Hudler is then the best we could do.
Ok. After Parise and Semin, who is there that's better than Hudler?

Doan? Chances of him signing in Detroit are nil.

Hemsky? Don't count on Holland locking up a guy with a bad attitude; especially when that guy might be playing second line minutes or worse for a hard-ass coach.

Selanne? He'll either retire or stay a Duck.

The guys who I might look at (with at BEST similar overall package value to Hudler) for no more than $3-4m, are:

Tuomo Ruutu $3.8m
Ray Whitney $3m
Olli Jokinen $3m
Vinny Prospal $2.5m

Assuming the Wings get Helm done for $1.5m, Abs for $1m, and Suter for $7m, that leaves about $10.7m to play with if you add MacDonald and Smith to fill Stuart and Conklin's spots. So you're right that the Wings have the space. But who are they going to get?

Two forwards and a defenseman for $10.7m

Conceivably, they could pull in Parise, keep Hudler, and keep a guy like Janik as the 7th. That lineup has a lot of firepower but a fairly inexperienced defense. If you don't get Parise, then the obvious option (if possible) is to add a guy like Adrian Aucoin on defense and grab one of the forwards - preferably Ruutu, but he might go into the $5m range - and work it out from there. An extra million on the cap would help out immensely.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:06 PM
  #23
The Zetterberg Era
Moderator
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,664
vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Ok. After Parise and Semin, who is there that's better than Hudler?

Doan? Chances of him signing in Detroit are nil.

Hemsky? Don't count on Holland locking up a guy with a bad attitude; especially when that guy might be playing second line minutes or worse for a hard-ass coach.

Selanne? He'll either retire or stay a Duck.

The guys who I might look at (with at BEST similar overall package value to Hudler) for no more than $3-4m, are:

Tuomo Ruutu $3.8m
Ray Whitney $3m
Olli Jokinen $3m
Vinny Prospal $2.5m

Assuming the Wings get Helm done for $1.5m, Abs for $1m, and Suter for $7m, that leaves about $10.7m to play with if you add MacDonald and Smith to fill Stuart and Conklin's spots. So you're right that the Wings have the space. But who are they going to get?

Two forwards and a defenseman for $10.7m

Conceivably, they could pull in Parise, keep Hudler, and keep a guy like Janik as the 7th. That lineup has a lot of firepower but a fairly inexperienced defense. If you don't get Parise, then the obvious option (if possible) is to add a guy like Adrian Aucoin on defense and grab one of the forwards - preferably Ruutu, but he might go into the $5m range - and work it out from there. An extra million on the cap would help out immensely.
Holland has always said nice things about Hemsky, I expect us to be in the bidding for him should he be made available in season.

I also would prefer Ruutu to Hudler, just because of the physical element he brings. I doubt he commands anywhere near the 5 million you just pulled out of your hat. I don't mind keeping Hudler, but I honestly don't know why he would sign on for more time with Babcock. Those two clearly don't get along. Hemsky might not get along with him either, but we don't know that yet, the bigger concern is his injury history.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:43 PM
  #24
Konnan511
#Loyalty
 
Konnan511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Traverse City
Country: United States
Posts: 5,112
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
With many fans of every other team hoping for a chance to sign a guy like him this could only help right.
FIFY

Konnan511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.