HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much are you willing to give for that #1 C?

Old
12-15-2011, 07:31 AM
HiddenInLight

vCash: 500
How much are you willing to give for that #1 C?

As everyone knows, the most glaring need (besides the ability to go a week without getting an injury) that the sabres have is that number one center. Unfortunatly the only way we can get one is draft one with a super high pick, which means tanking a whole season, or trading for one. Unfortunatly if the sabres go on the trading route, it will be very expensive for us. My question is, how much are we willing to give for that number one guy, and also who?

Myers?
Adam?
Roy?
Stafford?
Vanek?
Pomminville?

What Prospects or Picks?

Which number one centers are worth giving up a lot for?

Spezza?
Staal?
Statsny?
Getzlaf?

I'd like to request that this thread doesn't devolve into Stafford/Roy/Ruff is terrible the the inevitable argument that follows. So what kind of deals would be reasonable for that number one guy? What is over payment? Or under Payment? Will those deals work with the cap?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:38 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

vCash: 50
I would trade Myers+ for a center like Giroux. Like you said, you're not going to get a first line center unless some team for some stupid reason decides they don't need a #1 center. Our chances are probably better if we draft one.

start winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:48 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I would trade Myers+ for a center like Giroux. Like you said, you're not going to get a first line center unless some team for some stupid reason decides they don't need a #1 center. Our chances are probably better if we draft one.
Although I agree with you, this is a non-starter.
Buffalo isn't going to be bad enough or injured enough to warrant a top 5 or 6 pick, and if your not picking inside the top 5 (most likely the top 3 given history with drafted players and their ability to start and be an impact player immediately) your not getting that first line, impact center within the Cup run within 3 years goal stated by Pegula.

They need to look to the trade market or FA acquisition. And in the Sabres case, they currently have the assets to make it happen without compromising Pegula's goal.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:54 AM
HiddenInLight

The sabres definatly have the assets to trade for one considering our depth in all positions except center. The fact that our team is still in 7th place in the conference with all these injuries is a testimant to that.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Anything outside of Myers and Vanek. Moving Vanek for a top line center basically defeats the purpose, and Myers just holds more value to the team playing on it than he does in a trade.

Buffalo has a stockpile of nice prospects and mid-tier roster players that can be moved to get what they need. Whatever package they put together will end up including a second line player like Stafford, Roy or Ennis, which is fine with me. It will more than likely come down to a package consisting of a second line player, a prospect and a high draft pick. Which players and picks will depend on who they're targeting.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:04 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Although I agree with you, this is a non-starter.
Buffalo isn't going to be bad enough or injured enough to warrant a top 5 or 6 pick, and if your not picking inside the top 5 (most likely the top 3 given history with drafted players and their ability to start and be an impact player immediately) your not getting that first line, impact center within the Cup run within 3 years goal stated by Pegula.

They need to look to the trade market or FA acquisition. And in the Sabres case, they currently have the assets to make it happen without compromising Pegula's goal.
Giroux was drafted 22nd overall, which is probably a pick we'll land around. Not saying we'll draft that stud center, but our chances are better if we draft a touted center prospect than trying to acquire one via trade or FA. Most teams with #1 centers won't let them just walk away or trade them away unless we are giving them an offer they can't refuse which would probably make us a weaker team.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Giroux was drafted 22nd overall, which is probably a pick we'll land around. Not saying we'll draft that stud center, but our chances are better if we draft a touted center prospect than trying to acquire one via trade or FA. Most teams with #1 centers won't let them just walk away or trade them away unless we are giving them an offer they can't refuse which would probably make us a weaker team.
Drafting one also requires time for the player to develop. Giroux was drafted in 2006 and didn't start playing like a top line center until last year. If they plan on doing anything with the current roster, they'll need to trade or sign one.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:18 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Anything outside of Myers and Vanek. Moving Vanek for a top line center basically defeats the purpose, and Myers just holds more value to the team playing on it than he does in a trade.

Buffalo has a stockpile of nice prospects and mid-tier roster players that can be moved to get what they need. Whatever package they put together will end up including a second line player like Stafford, Roy or Ennis, which is fine with me. It will more than likely come down to a package consisting of a second line player, a prospect and a high draft pick. Which players and picks will depend on who they're targeting.
Any deal probably needs to take Roy off the table as well, unless the deal has 2 centers coming our way. Otherwise, the deal is bringing a talented center in, but not really helping our center depth. Despite some of the flack he gets on this board at times, Roy is a 1B/2A level of center. I also would not deal Miller, unless the package includes an equivalent goalie coming our way. Anyone else is on the table for me, including Vanek and Myers. Face it, you have to deal talent, to get talent.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Jame
Dream '16

the only 2 players off the table are Myers and Kassian IMO

I'd absolutely trade Vanek for a TRUE #1 center. Vanek's game is maxed out. His skating and questionable effort defensively will always hold him back from being an elite player. I wouldn't trade him for anything less though...

I'd also trade Roy for any center of equivalent value in a heartbeat. He's attitude and style are a hindrance

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:25 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

There isn't much I wouldn't give up for a 1C if his name is Staal, Getzlaf, or better.

Spezza is a little behind those 2 and Stastny is a little behind him IMO.

We may be sitting in 7th now, but we're also only 4 points out of 25th in the league. At some point the injuries SHOULD stop and we will probably improve, but if they don't and more key players are gone longer... a top 7 pick could be a possibility.

In all honesty, this is what I wish for. I want Darcy and Management to realize that this team is not going to get it done. This core isn't going to get it done. Move a few players and start a small re-building process. We have some very solid players in place, so it doesn't have to be a complete rebuild, just enough to replace the trash that weighs down this team night in and night out.

I know its a pipe dream and it's not going to happen, but that's on my Christmas list.

Last edited by S319R11S16: 12-15-2011 at 08:37 AM.
S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:26 AM
HiddenInLight

I would deal roy for that number one center as long as we made another deal for another center shortly after...

Old
12-15-2011, 08:30 AM
Kassian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
This.

Kassian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:31 AM
BuzzKillington90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
There isn't much I wouldn't give up for a 1C if his name is Staal, Getzlaf, or better.

We may be sitting in 7th now, but we're also only 4 points out of 25th in the league. At some point the injuries SHOULD stop and we will probably improve, but if they don't and more key players are gone longer... a top 7 pick could be a possibility.

In all honesty, that's kind of what I wish for. I want Darcy and Management to realize that this team is not going to get it done. This core isn't going to get it done. Move a few players and start re-building process. We have some very solid players in place, so it doesn't have to be a complete rebuild, just enough to replace the trash that weighs down this team night in and night out.

I know its a pipe dream and it's not going to happen, but that's on my Christmas list.

When the injuries stop. The players who are actually producing (Ie: Rookies) will be sent down. That doesn't comfort me.

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:36 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I have no interest in Spezza. Never have.

Stastny I could go either way with, but he makes so much damn money, so it's unlikely at best.

Getzlaf is a beast, would love to have him.

Staal....I just don't like. That said, he'd be a great fit.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:39 AM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post

In all honesty, this is what I wish for. I want Darcy and Management to realize that this team is not going to get it done. This core isn't going to get it done. Move a few players and start re-building process. We have some very solid players in place, so it doesn't have to be a complete rebuild, just enough to replace the trash that weighs down this team night in and night out.

All I want for Christmas is... FOR DARCY TO ****ING DO SOMETHING.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:39 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKillington90 View Post
When the injuries stop. The players who are actually producing (Ie: Rookies) will be sent down. That doesn't comfort me.
Oh yea.

Good point.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I won't hold my breath for one in the draft, considering Buffalo has landed Perreault and Turgeon over 40+ years. There isn't a great UFA C available next summer, and even if there was one, he wouldn't consider Buffalo (ex-Brad Richards). The only real option is to trade for a top C that is unhappy on a bad team or looked at as expendable by a team looking to rebuild. The best examples of this are Stastny, Getzlaf, and Staal. These teams will likely wait until the deadline to decide what to do. Buffalo would still have to give up A LOT to get them, but teams won't simply take on bad contracts and likely don't value players like Roy, Stafford, or Ennis the same way Regier does. Burke is a blowhard, but his interview comment about Regier are pretty accurate, so that means Regier is too difficult with other GMs to get a trade done...even if it's a good one for Buffalo, because Regier is too stuck on his failed player projects.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
We don't need an elite-scoring center. We need a center like Patrice Bergeron or Mike Richards who can match up with top scoring lines, do well defensively, and score a reasonable amount of points for a top-6 center (55-65). Those guys are often thought of as 2C's, but they'd help this team immensely.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I have no interest in Spezza. Never have.

Stastny I could go either way with, but he makes so much damn money, so it's unlikely at best.

Getzlaf is a beast, would love to have him.

Staal....I just don't like. That said, he'd be a great fit.
makes sense... i dont like players that would be a good fit either

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 08:46 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I won't hold my breath for one in the draft, considering Buffalo has landed Perreault and Turgeon over 40+ years. There isn't a great UFA C available next summer, and even if there was one, he wouldn't consider Buffalo (ex-Brad Richards). The only real option is to trade for a top C that is unhappy on a bad team or looked at as expendable by a team looking to rebuild. The best examples of this are Stastny, Getzlaf, and Staal. These teams will likely wait until the deadline to decide what to do. Buffalo would still have to give up A LOT to get them, but teams won't simply take on bad contracts and likely don't value players like Roy, Stafford, or Ennis the same way Regier does. Burke is a blowhard, but his interview comment about Regier are pretty accurate, so that means Regier is too difficult with other GMs to get a trade done...even if it's a good one for Buffalo, because Regier is too stuck on his failed player projects.
Carolina GM said there is no way he is going to trade Ward or Staal. Could be blowing smoke... but yea. That's what he said.

Side note 8.25M Cap hit through 15-16??

Quote:
"I have no interest whatsoever in trading Eric Staal or Cam Ward. That's not going to happen." -- Jim Rutherford
http://www.twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie

Old
12-15-2011, 08:47 AM
static80

Quote:
Giroux is not a good example at all. He was sent back down to the minors from the AHL and spent the remainder of that season down there before being brought back up.
On top of that, he centered Philly's 3rd scoring line his first 2 seasons in the league, allowing him to have very favorable matchups and it didn't hurt that one of his linemates was Van Reimsdyke. That situation reminded me so much like the Roy and Vanek situation with Buffalo back when Briere and Drury were here.

And once again, if the stated goal by Pegula is to be acheived, drafting one isn't realisitc in the 10 or above slots in the 1st round.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:47 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
makes sense... i dont like players that would be a good fit either
Think he meant I don't like him but I'd love to have him on my team.

Kinda like Crosby.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:48 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
We don't need an elite-scoring center. We need a center like Patrice Bergeron or Mike Richards who can match up with top scoring lines, do well defensively, and score a reasonable amount of points for a top-6 center (55-65). Those guys are often thought of as 2C's, but they'd help this team immensely.
Correct 100%. We don't need a sniper, we have wingers for that. We need a playmaking 2 way center, I agree. But the most important thing you posted were the names, those are impact players for sure.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:52 AM
static80

Quote:

I'd absolutely trade Vanek for a TRUE #1 center. Vanek's game is maxed out. His skating and questionable effort defensively will always hold him back from being an elite player. I wouldn't trade him for anything less though...

I'd also trade Roy for any center of equivalent value in a heartbeat. He's attitude and style are a hindrance
Vanek isn't getting moved, he's to valuable, whether or not you realize it.

Roy on the other hand is expendable.

I do agree that Myers is laughable in a trade at this time. The kid is a franchise defenseman, even Chara had off seasons.
Kassian is most likely the future line 2 right winger for the Sabres with an upside to go on line 1 as Pominville ages. So yea, I don't see him going anywhere either.

There are assets here, Regier needs to be on the phone.

Old
12-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Vanek isn't getting moved, he's to valuable, whether or not you realize it.

Roy on the other hand is expendable.

I do agree that Myers is laughable in a trade at this time. The kid is a franchise defenseman, even Chara had off seasons.
Kassian is most likely the future line 2 right winger for the Sabres with an upside to go on line 1 as Pominville ages. So yea, I don't see him going anywhere either.

There are assets here, Regier needs to be on the phone.
Of course he's valuable, but if I can get a Ryan Getzlaf-type for him, I'm driving Thomas to the airport. There are no untouchables. Zero. Even Kassian.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote