HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How much are you willing to give for that #1 C?

Old
12-17-2011, 08:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i'd much rather have Getzlaf then about 97.8% of players in this league... but Getzlaf is far less likely to be available then Stastny.
Since the coaching change in Anaheim hasn't exactly lit the Ducks on fire, it's worth a call........

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:31 AM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
After 41 years of being a Buffalo sports fan I could care less about one of our players being best in the league.

I want a Stanley Cup before I pass away.
I think having that key player (I.e. Crosby, Toews, Etc.) is they key to winning a championship. I want to win the cup as well. But we need IMO a franchise player to lead this team there

Last edited by dkollidas: 12-17-2011 at 01:24 PM.
dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Selanne00008

So to sum it up...

I say we do have a couple untouchables UNLESS it's for Getzlaf really.
Those would be:
Myers
Kassian
Miller

thats it for me. If we trade Roy or Vanek it HAS to be a TOP center in this league, not just a 1B/2A. In all likelyhood we do have to do this through the draft. No GM is just going to trade Getzlaf, Stastny, Staal for quantity prospects. They would most likely ask for Myers +, and I am not willing to do that.

What about not through the draft but through another teams "Kassian". A top physcial center with 1A/2B upside that is "almost" NHL ready. We would need to look back at say the top 15 picks of the last 2-3 years. Are there any promising young centers we could trade for? What I am looking to do is shave off some of the development time drafting a center needs...

This helps us in a few ways:
- We could have a young center on entry level
- We could help another team "win now" by giving away a roster player
- It clears up a spot for Adam/Kassian/Mcnabb to stick and not be sent down

I'd prefer to pull this trigger once one of our injured are ready to come back and we'd be forced to send someone down we really don't want to..

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:49 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

I'd trade Myers and a little bit more for Getzlaf.

Heck, with Pronger potentially done forever, I'd contemplate something like Myers for Coburn and Couturier.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:03 PM
dkollidas

I still say trade Roy to Washington for the 1st round pick they got from Colorado and select a center with that. I know people say that he won't get that but Carter got a top 10 pick AND Voracek, so I think Roy could at least get the pick alone, if not also a young player like Cody Eakin.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:11 PM
MagnumForce

I think to get a top line center.....we are going to have to part with Roy (arguably our top center) who mght be a step down from the center we are getting but it also fills a void on the other team with the center they are losing. So more than likely the starting point of a deal for a center would be Roy. You have to give to get. I wouldn't be adverse to dealing Roy, Stafford and a prospect/draft pick to acquire Getzlaf or Stahl..(but if I wouldn't just throw in McNabb, Kassian or Adam as part of the trade)

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:21 PM
MagnumForce

Another option is to disguise a trade with a team that you expect to finish in the bottom 3 of the league which includes trading them a current player/prospect and our 1st round pick for a lesser player and their 1st round pick.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
I think to get a top line center.....we are going to have to part with Roy (arguably our top center) who mght be a step down from the center we are getting but it also fills a void on the other team with the center they are losing. So more than likely the starting point of a deal for a center would be Roy. You have to give to get. I wouldn't be adverse to dealing Roy, Stafford and a prospect/draft pick to acquire Getzlaf or Stahl..(but if I wouldn't just throw in McNabb, Kassian or Adam as part of the trade)
Absolutely no way Iceland trades Gunnar, he's their true #1C with good size. His track record at the Junior Goodwill Games and beyond speaks for itself, we'd have to give up way too much to get him. Pass.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:01 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
As I have posted elsewhere. Trade Roy to Washington for Colorado's 1st they got in the Varlamov deal, and center Cody Eakin. Who could become our 3rd or 4th line center down the road. Draft Galchenyuk with that pick and maybe another center with our own pick. And what he'll, maybe another one with the 2nd we got from Calgary. And then we should have some nice center depth for the next few years.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
As I have posted elsewhere. Trade Roy to Washington for Colorado's 1st they got in the Varlamov deal, and center Cody Eakin. Who could become our 3rd or 4th line center down the road. Draft Galchenyuk with that pick and maybe another center with our own pick. And what he'll, maybe another one with the 2nd we got from Calgary. And then we should have some nice center depth for the next few years.
I think Eakin has the potential to be even better than that, but as good as that pick is going to be, does Washington do that deal?

Old
12-17-2011, 06:45 PM
sabresandcanucks

Is there any center in this draft class who can step in and be as dominant as the Nuge or SC in Philly?

I'm not so sure....we need a proven 1st line center to give this team a window of a couple of years to win a cup now...otherwise we will have to wait for said center to develop.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:55 PM
dkollidas

Are you guys not watching this team? I mean, they are not CLOSE to winning it all. They've got some decent players, but they've got the same 6 over-hyped "core" guys who have helped this team tread water since they lost Briere and Drury. They need to change the composition of the team, not just one guy. They need to say good bye to Roy, Stafford, maybe Ennis and Miller as well. They need destroy, and rebuild.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:26 AM
anonFOX
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Absolutely no way Iceland trades Gunnar, he's their true #1C with good size. His track record at the Junior Goodwill Games and beyond speaks for itself, we'd have to give up way too much to get him. Pass.

A Hanzal or Getzlaf would be a perfect fit IMO, they hit, they shoot, they pass. Vanek is key, he's got an unreal shot and just needs a proper pivot to give him the opportunities he deserves.

Would Mogilny have been the prolific goal-scorer he was without LaFontaine (probably but not to the tune of 76 goals)?
Would Stamkos be the 21yr. old 50 goal scorer he is w/o St. Louis?
Perry w/o Getzlaf, Crosby w/o....

anonFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:33 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
They need destroy, and rebuild.
Until. God. Shows.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:36 AM
omglolnub

Quote:
True, but didn't he have attitude problems and acted like a major [jerk]hole? We don't need to add a locker room cancer no matter how talented they are, given how messed up things are already.

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
True, but didn't he have attitude problems and acted like a major [jerk]hole? We don't need to add a locker room cancer no matter how talented they are, given how messed up things are already.
True, he did call out the coach on being outcoached and losing the game for the team, essentially. Cold, hard evidence he is a locker room cancer, we already have one of those on the roster, no need for another.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:42 AM
tjshisler

Quote:

Yea but he sucks in the shootout.

tjshisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:01 AM
tjshisler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
... fortunately for all Buffalo fans, this is what I'd do:
1.) Start with the assumption that the Cup team is focused on the Adam, Kassian, Myers core, not the current core. That's the schwerpunkt that guides all other actions in the near-future. I'd consider adding Sekera, McNabb, and possibly Ennis to this group, all for different reasons.
2.) Get a #1 center. I don't buy the argument that a team doesn't need one. Yes, some teams win big without them. It's so much easier, and more sustainable, to win with a #1 center. I'd make multiple tries to acquire one, as opposed to banking on just one move.
Eg: I'd work to acquire someone like Stastny, who has real ability to be a true #1 center long-term.
I'd then work to acquire a boom-or-bust type of #1 center, like Brassard, so long as the cost was low. This is a similar move to the Briere trade.
I'd then work to acquire a high draft choice to get the #1 center prospect. Anyone outside the "new core" is available for trade.
3.) Choose a more rugged style of play, similar to Boston's, Philadelphia's, and Chicago's, over the puck possession style of team. Buffalo isn't the eastern version of Detroit, nor does it have the talent of Pittsburgh. I'd pick this identity, which matches my core, and build off it.

I agree. Winning a Cup is a lot harder than just saying “Let’s win one in the next three years.” The reality is if you totally focus on the current core and they fail in the next three years, then you’re screwed. Try and win the Cup but have you’re focus on the future as well. Here’s what I would do…

Trade Roy+Gragnani to WAS for Marcus Johannson+1st… Assuming they move Semin and clear space Roy is a much cheaper option. Johannson is a young, big bodied Center with a ton of upside who could play now but still has the chance to turn into a true #1C.

Stafford to NYR for Dubinsky… this was mentioned in another thread and Rag fans seem receptive to it. Both players seem to have worn thin and need a change of scenery. I like the grit and leadership Duby brings. Good defensively. Plus he has the versatility to play center and wing which was stated earlier.

Vanek-Dubinsky-Pominville
Leino-Johannson-Boyes
Ennis-Adam-Kassian/Hecht
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta/McCormick
Ex) Ellis, Tropp, Szczechura, Foligno

Regehr-Myers
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Leopold-Weber
Ex) McNabb, Brennan, Finley

Miller
Enroth

Gives us center depth to juggle around while also getting us younger and bigger.
Re-evaluate Boyes, Hecht, and Goose at the end of the year.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshisler View Post
I agree. Winning a Cup is a lot harder than just saying “Let’s win one in the next three years.” The reality is if you totally focus on the current core and they fail in the next three years, then you’re screwed. Try and win the Cup but have you’re focus on the future as well. Here’s what I would do…

Trade Roy+Gragnani to WAS for Marcus Johannson+1st… Assuming they move Semin and clear space Roy is a much cheaper option. Johannson is a young, big bodied Center with a ton of upside who could play now but still has the chance to turn into a true #1C.

Stafford to NYR for Dubinsky… this was mentioned in another thread and Rag fans seem receptive to it. Both players seem to have worn thin and need a change of scenery. I like the grit and leadership Duby brings. Good defensively. Plus he has the versatility to play center and wing which was stated earlier.

Leino-Johannson-Boyes
Ennis-Adam-Kassian/Hecht

Regehr-Myers
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Leopold-Weber

Miller
Enroth

Gives us center depth to juggle around while also getting us younger and bigger.
This is a roy trade scenario that I could get behind. It trades him for decent value while still giving us more depth at center, not to mention bringing us an extra first round pick. I like your train of thought. One correction though, hecht plays left wing. Otherwise great proposal.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
This is a roy trade scenario that I could get behind. It trades him for decent value while still giving us more depth at center, not to mention bringing us an extra first round pick. I like your train of thought. One correction though, hecht plays left wing. Otherwise great proposal.
Agreed. This was on the trade board yesterday...

Roy for Johannson and Colorado 1st would be an great starting point for cleaning up the roster

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:12 AM
PanicItsVanek26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshisler View Post

Leino-Johannson-Boyes
Ennis-Adam-Kassian/Hecht

Regehr-Myers
Ehrhoff-Sekera
Leopold-Weber

Miller
Enroth

Would love that trade, but only if the 1st is the one Washington got from Colorado. Then hopefully draft Alex Galchenyuk or Mikhail Grigorenko.

PanicItsVanek26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:13 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Agreed. This was on the trade board yesterday...

Roy for Johannson and Colorado 1st would be an great starting point for cleaning up the roster
Washington's cap situation is similar to the Sabres.

They can't add Roy's $4m cap hit with only Johansson's $900k going out.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
HiddenInLight

Stupid phone double post....

Old
12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
tjshisler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Washington's cap situation is similar to the Sabres.

They can't add Roy's $4m cap hit with only Johansson's $900k going out.
Like I said in the post, its assuming they move out Semin.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicItsVanek26 View Post
Would love that trade, but only if the 1st is the one Washington got from Colorado. Then hopefully draft Alex Galchenyuk or Mikhail Grigorenko.
Washington may be having a high pick too if they don't pick up their game. They are falling as fas as us.