HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Red Wings at Predators 12/15 - A Questionable Choice

Old
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Huge win!!!!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Dynheart

Argh! Two whacky bounces led to two goals for you guys. Thems the breaks... Good game nonetheless.

Last edited by Dynheart: 12-15-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Dynheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:26 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Aye, oh, Wings blow! Aye, oh, Wings blow!

ETA: This is the first time this season that Detroit has lost when scoring 3+ goals. Also the first time they've lost when leading after two. Huge, HUGE win.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pekkaslap

Great win. Now let's hope Weber wasn't trying out for his new team lol.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

I think the target is now 4-1-0.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:30 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Oh ****. We have a blue man and a gold man So now they are ripping off two idiots in Vancouver who are ripping off an idiot character on a television show (though I do love that idiot character).

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Thought the Wings got help from the refs tonight. We played them pretty well 5 on 5. They missed on a few close chances that they probably should have buried, but definitely shouldn't have gotten those two power plays.

Kind of an old-school Preds-Wings game. We get out shot by a large margin, manage to stick around, and get a couple of bounces. I wish we would have kept the physical presence up the entire game, seemed the rink tilted in our favor when we were running around a little.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Hornqvist doesn't really fit our style of play currently. He needs two good puck possession linemates creating chances for him (or vice versa), and puck possession is one of our greatest weaknesses this year.
Hornqvist doesn't show on the scoresheet tonight, but his actions in front of the net were instrumental in our PP goal. He did what we needed him to do. So did Spaling on the GWG.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:33 PM
roseyc

Shea Weber can you say Norris Trophy Superstar Defenseman. Wow no, double Wow! Weber comes to play in big games.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Iron Duke

For all the *****ing about the line composition, that 3rd line with 3 pts, a combined +5, 7 shots on goal, and play that I'd say pretty much helped turn that game in our favor.

Tootoo just 7 points away from matching his career high already.

Great effort coming back against a fantastic team and fighting through the ticky tack calls. Real character effort there, where the team that played off and on through the first 15-20 games would've folded up the tent at 3-1.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynheart View Post
Argh! Two whacky bounces led to two goals for you guys. Thems the breaks... Can't say the better team won today though. Good game nonetheless.
Kinda like how the Wings got 2 powerplay goals on some ticky tacky bs. We'll take the 2 points thank ya very much.

Also, I would also call both of those PP goals "whacky bounces" as well since both times our Dman caught the puck and threw it on the ice point blank for ya. Doesn't get anymore Whack than that.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:35 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The Fisher line had one shot on goal tonight, and it came from Hornqvist. That line has been playing "first line" minutes (at least for Nashville) over the past couple of games. It needs to step it up.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:40 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Great job by the fans to pack the place and sell it out.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:41 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I've really grown to respect the Wings. I could do without some of the snarky comments and arrogance that some of the fans bring to the games, but the team itself I respect.

With that said, I really hate how Crispy and Weber constantly compare everything the Predators do to what the Wings do during a Preds-Wings game. I guess they got into the habit of it early on. It's annoying. This team is its own team now. No need in comparing them to the Wings anymore. It comes across as little brother syndrome.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Dynheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Kinda like how the Wings got 2 powerplay goals on some ticky tacky bs. We'll take the 2 points thank ya very much.

Also, I would also call both of those PP goals "whacky bounces" as well since both times our Dman caught the puck and threw it on the ice point blank for ya. Doesn't get anymore Whack than that.
BOunces off defensemen/turn overs happen all the time. A kick save off the right pad and the puck goes left...and what happened on the last goal...those I would say are a bit more "whacky" than a puck bouncing off d-men and going to the stick of an offensemen...like you see in just about every other play.

As far as the Powerplays. Tick tacky calls happen all the time as well. But when do you see a goalie whos playing well..make a right pad kick save and the rebound go left...straight to your player? And how often does the puck bonuce off a shot like that? That's what I call whacky.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Hornqvist doesn't show on the scoresheet tonight, but his actions in front of the net were instrumental in our PP goal. He did what we needed him to do. So did Spaling on the GWG.
Yep, obviously his play while on the man advantage isn't affected because we get puck possession by default.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Legionnaire11

Viqsi for MVP?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:45 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynheart View Post
BOunces off defensemen happen all the time. A kick save off the right pad and the puck goes left...and what happened on the last goal...those I would say are a bit more "whacky" than a puck bouncing off d-men and going to the stick of an offensemen...like you see in just about every other play.

As far as the Powerplays. Tick tacky calls happen all the time as well. But when do you see a goalie whos playing well..make a right pad kick save and it go left? And how often does the puck bonuce off a shot like that? That's what I call whacky.
Are you saying that rebounds and the puck bouncing off of the ice are things that don't happen in every game? I see rebounds like the one that led to Tootoo's goal all of the time, and a puck bouncing off of the ice like that happens often enough. It's just not very often that a player is in perfect position to capitalize on the rebound, or that the bounce happens in that area and results in a goal.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Your line choice was our 2nd line at the beginning of the season. We have balanced scoring right now and it's working. The Wilson/Legwand/Smith line worked for a few games early then cooled. Right now we're able to get more favorable matchups with the Wilson/Toots line which is enabling both of them to generate chances. The Smith/Legwand/Erat line is generating chances. As much as Toots is pretty much a 3rd liner for most teams ... he's getting the job done at ES over the past month. Halischuk came into this game tied with Zetterburg at 6 goals scored ... all ES.

And that's another for Toots .. on a line with Smith and Halischuk as things get changed around during a game.
Smith had a good shift just before, but I believe it was Spaling that got an assist!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Dynheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Are you saying that rebounds and the puck bouncing off of the ice are things that don't happen in every game? I see rebounds like the one that led to Tootoo's goal all of the time, and a puck bouncing off of the ice like that happens often enough. It's just not very often that a player is in perfect position to capitalize on the rebound, or that the bounce happens in that area and results in a goal.
So you see a goalie make a right pad kick save and the puck make a quick dive to the left all the time? To me, unless something strange happens...that defies the laws of physics. That's why I'm calling it whacky...straaange...spoooooky. If you hit something to the right, it should go right. If it goes left...something's up. /shrug I want to see the replay, but they really don't have much on the goal.

EDIT: And Tootoo just came off the bench, I really don't think that was a set play. He just happen to be in the right spot at the right time. That's my opinion anyway. Unless they didn't some major communication from the ice to the bench durin that play.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Absolutely. If I had a $ for every time a Wing was in the right spot for a bounce... Scoring is about right place, right time as much as it is a dangling/cycling competition.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:54 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

If it defies the laws of physics it doesn't happen tonight

I see rebounds kicked out like that all of the time, and every time it happens during a Preds game I think to myself "why do we never have anyone there to get that rebound?"

And I'm pretty sure the reason it went where it did is because Kronwall got a piece of it, but I only have a bad angle so I'm just guessing.

Old
12-15-2011, 09:54 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Smith had a good shift just before, but I believe it was Spaling that got an assist!
I fixed it in a later post. Smith rotated off and Spaling came on while we had possession. Craig leaves the ice at 17:17 .... Toots scores at 17:22. Leggy off for Spaling to come on .... so we had Halischuk, Smith, Leggy on the ice .. they rotate off with only Smith and Leggy getting to the bench and Toots scores five seconds onto the ice.

I'll take it. Toots with five goals now ... all in the past month ... 4 at ES.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Dynheart

Watched the replay. It hit the top of his right pad. I guess that makes it possible. The shot was coming from the left, the puck bounced off the top of his right pad and backed out to the left side. Then Tootoo magically just comes from the bench and gets the rebound. Goal. <-- sad face Oh well. I guess that one makes a bit more sense. Still, that Weber shot was like Hockey fate was on your side. That bounce was nasty

Old
12-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Iron Duke

Edit to earlier post, Tootoo is now 5 pts from tying his career high in points. Still has a lot of room for growth, but just so impressed with the way he has committed himself to improving his game and playing with an impact all over the ice.