HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The legitimate thought of bringing Kelly back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2011, 03:59 PM
  #126
Canuckman44
Registered User
 
Canuckman44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gatineau/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
You're moot... in your face.

I think you made a wrong turn at Albuquerque, The Canucks board is just down this road here:
Unfortunately, the same place as the Sens playoff snowball is going. I was however impressed with the number of shots for a change. Too bad the defensive part of the game is nothing short of terrible. They cannot win with weak d zone coverage and inopportune piches.

Canuckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  #127
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
Unfortunately, the same place as the Sens playoff snowball is going. I was however impressed with the number of shots for a change. Too bad the defensive part of the game is nothing short of terrible. They cannot win with weak d zone coverage and inopportune piches.
Hey cool, all stuff we were expecting.

We're missing Gonchar and Kuba....no coincidence that break downs begin to occur with regularity as soon as their gone.

We were predicted to finish last, we can't handle the injuries at this point.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:23 PM
  #128
trobby
Registered User
 
trobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,248
vCash: 500
Is what Dorion said not considered tampering? He's still under contact with the B's...

trobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:33 PM
  #129
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Is what Dorion said not considered tampering? He's still under contact with the B's...
He said he couldn't go into it much because he's under contract. Sounds like he knew how far he could go and he stopped just short of tampering.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:00 PM
  #130
TCL40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15,852
vCash: 500
Another Bruins fan-just have to say my hope is that the Bruins re-sign him. He comes with top notch hockey IQ, great leadership and great work ethic.

I admit I didn't get the trade when it was made, but I have really come to appreciate his game. Unless Kelly is asking for insane amounts of money he is the perfect type of player for Boston and Julien's system. I suspect Chia is going to try to get a deal done.

Great player-and I am excited to see him on pace for a career season.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:18 PM
  #131
swiftwin
#lalala
 
swiftwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
I'd take him back if it was with a big discount.

Remember how awesome it was to have McAmmond center the 4th line in our '07 run? With Kelly and Smith we would basically have two 3rd lines.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 05:27 PM
  #132
C77
Registered User
 
C77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Junior's Farm
Country: United States
Posts: 12,898
vCash: 500
Yea we love the guy in Boston.

Every game he gives a good effort and he is very smart. Excellent PK'er and he can play with succeed with many different linemates. Earlier in the season he was on a line with Seguin and Lucic and it worked very well.

Last season many B's fans weren't happy with the trade at first (this is a futures website after all) but the Kelly, Peverley, and Pouliot line is a big reason for the Bruins success.

If the Bruins let him get to UFA status, which I doubt will happen, then a young team like the Islanders should knock down the door to sign him. Heck for the Islanders they could give him $4 million a year and it would be a good move because they're not going to spend the money elsewhere.

Kelly hasn't even played a full season in Boston and he wears an "A"; just like in Ottawa, he is very highly thought of by pretty much everyone.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:11 PM
  #133
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW
 
Pietraneglo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I can respect there are some differing opinions....but that doesn't make sense to me.

Why can't Smith be our 4th line center? Nothing wrong with being outstanding down the middle.
Zach Smith is 55th in Center scoring with like two shifts on the PP. He's probably overqualified as a third line checking center already. Winchester is also an excellent 4th line center.

There is a problem with spending on players that don't play that much. It's dead money in a cap world. Especially a problem if the player you're getting isn't (much of?) an upgrade over what you already have.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:26 PM
  #134
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Zach Smith is 55th in Center scoring with like two shifts on the PP. He's probably overqualified as a third line checking center already. Winchester is also an excellent 4th line center.

There is a problem with spending on players that don't play that much. It's dead money in a cap world. Especially a problem if the player you're getting isn't (much of?) an upgrade over what you already have.
I'm aware regarding Smith, but don't expect him to keep it up...we would pay Kelly more than Winchester, because he would play more, and bring more to the table when he does play.

If you are going to be strong at one spot on the team, center is the place to be.

The team isn't interested in bringing Kelly back to overpay him to play 9 minutes a game.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 06:48 PM
  #135
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
Unfortunately, the same place as the Sens playoff snowball is going. I was however impressed with the number of shots for a change. Too bad the defensive part of the game is nothing short of terrible. They cannot win with weak d zone coverage and inopportune piches.
As for the bold part, well, we all knew we were in for a season full of rough patches. We are in a rebuild, after all.

I'm glad to hear that you agree with the comparison at least. I couldn't have put it better myself, honestly. Usually, Canucks fans are stuck in the "denial" or "anger" steps in dealing with the realization that the fanbase is a collective bunch of whiny, weaselly, wussass windbags (pro tip: that's called alliteration).

Spent two years in the Lower Mainland. Could not get out of there fast enough.

Now get your $23-dollar-martini-drinking, sandal-in-November-wearing, seven-guys-in-a-three-bedroom-apartment-because-nobody-can-afford-rent-living, everyone-loves-the-mountains-but-nobody-actually-ever-goes-to-them, Stanley-park-is-the-most-overrated-goddamned-lame-excuse-for-a-tourist-attraction, rioting-because-everyone-else-is-doing-it, lazy, good-for-nothing arse back to your own damned board.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:00 PM
  #136
The Fuhr*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Kelly was my favorite Sen this has my full support

Dude is an amazing hockey player... best third liner in the game. Kills penalties at an elite level... plays defense at an elite level... works the boards hard... crashes the net... has speed... chips in offense.

Plus everything I have read he is amazing in the locker room and a great role model for younger players.

I'd easily give him 5% of the cap as the cornerstone of the bottom six.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:08 PM
  #137
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,135
vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
When you're one of the best team in the league and have two world class centres and a great third centre you're happy. They all can create offence so the Penns pay less for wingers.

Kelly is nothing like Staal. He does not run offence, and does not make his line-mates offensively better. Also, as we have all seen over several years here, he doesn't create a lot of offence himself.

Just because he is playing better on a much better team in a contract year does not mean he will play that way here. We're better off making decisions based on our vast past experience with the player... No?
Kelly is on a run this year, but in all his years in Ottawa he got only between 23-38 points per year.He is responsible but not physically imposing and used to get shoved off the puck pretty easily.

The move seems to have done him good but if he wants a big paycheque I cant see bringing him back;at a discount it might be worth consideration.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:18 PM
  #138
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,073
vCash: 500
I'd do it purely out of respect. I'd pay a premium to get him back. The hometown bonus.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:24 PM
  #139
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!
 
Fenix Rises 2026's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Kelly was my favorite Sen this has my full support

Dude is an amazing hockey player... best third liner in the game. Kills penalties at an elite level... plays defense at an elite level... works the boards hard... crashes the net... has speed... chips in offense.

Plus everything I have read he is amazing in the locker room and a great role model for younger players.

I'd easily give him 5% of the cap as the cornerstone of the bottom six.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you're not really Fuhr. Just thought I'd let you know that. :suspicious:

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:27 PM
  #140
Ice-Tray
Registered User
 
Ice-Tray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Those fools! Now the organization is.
Reading comprehension with a dose of reality is needed here. MoO and others are making it seem like we are after him.

This is not at all what was said.

Dorion talked up a player that was well liked by the organization, giving him the ultimate nod he could by saying that of course he'd love to have him back someday. Team officials say this stuff all the time when exalting the character of a good organizational player.

Props given, that is all. There is no intent to bring him back, none.

Murray traded Kelly because he was not in the team's plan going forward. Don't be silly and think it was because he had to get another second round pick even though he really wanted to keep Kelly. That is more than a reach, it's ridiculous.

Let's all keep the Kelly love in perspective, congratulate him on a great first half, and let it go. He is not coming here, he's too old, too redundant, and making too much for our young rebuilding team.

Common sense...

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:43 PM
  #141
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
Reading comprehension with a dose of reality is needed here. MoO and others are making it seem like we are after him.

This is not at all what was said.

Dorion talked up a player that was well liked by the organization, giving him the ultimate nod he could by saying that of course he'd love to have him back someday. Team officials say this stuff all the time when exalting the character of a good organizational player.

Props given, that is all. There is no intent to bring him back, none.

Murray traded Kelly because he was not in the team's plan going forward. Don't be silly and think it was because he had to get another second round pick even though he really wanted to keep Kelly. That is more than a reach, it's ridiculous.

Let's all keep the Kelly love in perspective, congratulate him on a great first half, and let it go. He is not coming here, he's too old, too redundant, and making too much for our young rebuilding team.

Common sense...
I disagree with all of this.

Question my common sense all you want, but I will lol.

That's not to say I think there's definitely a plan to bring him back...but to say there's no chance we go after him if he's available...yeah I can't agree with that.

Dorion described it as the hardest he's ever seen it to let a player go.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
  #142
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,817
vCash: 1413
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Kelly was my favorite Sen this has my full support

Dude is an amazing hockey player... best third liner in the game. Kills penalties at an elite level... plays defense at an elite level... works the boards hard... crashes the net... has speed... chips in offense.

Plus everything I have read he is amazing in the locker room and a great role model for younger players.

I'd easily give him 5% of the cap as the cornerstone of the bottom six.
Amazing?

Easy now.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
  #143
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Amazing?

Easy now.
He doesn't mean amazing as in Crosby, Stamkos etc amazing. He means amazing by bottom 6 standards. Kelly's certainly one of the better bottom 6 players in the NHL. He would immediately be our best bottom 6 player.

I think him becoming an assistant captain on a team that just won the Cup, months after going there, speaks volumes about his value to any team.

He was the favourite guy in our dressing room. No question.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 11:55 PM
  #144
burgess1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
I think I'm in the same boat as many here - I'd happily take Kelly back but not at what it'll probably cost to get him. If he's going to take a home town discount to come here, hell yeah - Smith-Kelly-Neil would be an awesome 3rd line - but chances are he takes the big payday somewhere else, and good luck to him.

BTW - Shane Prince was the guy we got with the pick from the Kelly trade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXia682efCI

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect/Shane_Prince

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:48 AM
  #145
Ice-Tray
Registered User
 
Ice-Tray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I disagree with all of this.

Question my common sense all you want, but I will lol.

That's not to say I think there's definitely a plan to bring him back...but to say there's no chance we go after him if he's available...yeah I can't agree with that.

Dorion described it as the hardest he's ever seen it to let a player go.
Lol all you want, he's not coming back, and it makes no sense to bring him back right now. Just because you like the guy doesn't make him a good fit. This is why he was just traded away, continue to dream if you wish.

Whether it was hard or not, it was done. The only thing harder than letting him go was keeping him.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:55 AM
  #146
Tundraman
GoneCountry
 
Tundraman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North
Posts: 5,535
vCash: 500
Been there done that but can't knock the guy. He always gave 100% here.

Kelly was a good add-on piece for a team that already had all the main parts for a long playoff run like Boston but not the Sens for another 2-3 years or so.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 09:01 AM
  #147
Senasnore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Been there done that but can't knock the guy. He always gave 100% here.

Kelly was a good add-on piece for a team that already had all the main parts for a long playoff run like Boston but not the Sens for another 2-3 years or so.
This. Foggeddaboudeem....

Senasnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:30 AM
  #148
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.
 
Melnyks Mirage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cumberland
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 50
I'd rather just pass.

He was good for us but time to move on from the old core and look toward the new.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:32 AM
  #149
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
Lol all you want, he's not coming back, and it makes no sense to bring him back right now. Just because you like the guy doesn't make him a good fit. This is why he was just traded away, continue to dream if you wish.

Whether it was hard or not, it was done. The only thing harder than letting him go was keeping him.
This really has little to do with what I want....I'm pretty indifferent.

Don't think it'd be a bad thing.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.