HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals vs. Jets. 8:30pm. MTS Centre. 12.15.2011

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2011, 03:27 PM
  #551
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,056
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Take out the 7 game winning streak to start the season and they are 16th.

But hey as long as they play the right way who cares if they score right...?
Take away the goals from 7 wins from all the other teams too then...

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:41 PM
  #552
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,321
vCash: 50
If we didn't have the balanced scoring we did now, someone would certainly point out how we are a one line team, how we will easily be shutdown in the playoffs. Nothing to do in between games except for over analyze. Lets subtract the goals from the top 7 TOI guys on every team, and see who leads the league.

Tex TOI among forwards, no matter, as my possible benefits remain. Do tell exactly how his league leading RS TOIs of years past helped us in the post season. Sure, his individual TOI may have led to a first place presidents finish, and facing an easier seed, like Montreal, all the while sticking a huge bullseye on him. Any other benefits you can think of?

Where is the harm of him being 65th out of what, 1200, anyways? We are among the top teams scoring in the league with his paltry TOI.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:42 PM
  #553
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Take away the goals from 7 wins from all the other teams too then...
Taking out the goals from the first 7 games of Boston's recent winning streak still leaves them 9th in the league in goals per game.

There is a big difference between 7 random wins scattered over 30 games or so and the 7 wins the Caps had to start the season and the 20 some odd games since.

Those first 7 games are in no way whatsoever representative of what this team really brings to the table these days...


Last edited by Millhaus: 12-16-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:09 PM
  #554
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Taking out the goals from the first 7 games of Boston's recent winning streak still leaves them 9th in the league in goals per game.

There is a big difference between 7 random wins scattered over 30 games or so and the 7 wins the Caps had to start the season and the 20 some odd games since.

Those first 7 games are in now way whatsoever representative of what this team really brings to the table these days...
Yeah our time on ice leader and most important defender was playing in those 7 games, lets take out some flyer wins without pronger, or pens without letang...

Who really cares if we finished 7th or 1st, does it matter to you guys? Getting into the playoffs is getting into the playoffs - I wouldn't mind coming in with less pressure on the team from the outside and I know some of you guys feel that way - well we aren't going to get 7th in the east if we have the top scoring team, best pp, and best pk - those teams finish at the top in the regular season. So yeah what matters for me right now is that they play the right way, if they arent getting the results then thats okay they'll win enough games to make the playoffs.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:24 PM
  #555
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Where is the harm of him being 65th out of what, 1200, anyways? We are among the top teams scoring in the league with his paltry TOI.
take this however you like. players like to play. top players expect to play. i cant see how a hart trophy winner and franchise player is going to be happy with the same ice time that steve ott and brooks laich are getting.

are you sure you want to treat and use alex ovechkin as if he were dainius zubrus?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:29 PM
  #556
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,711
vCash: 500
I think equating Ovechkin's (relatively) limited ice time to him being unhappy is a reach. He knows as well as anyone that the reason he's not playing as much is because he's sucking.

I could get behind wanting to play him a lot to try to snap him out of his funk, but not just to make him happy.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:52 PM
  #557
WetHog
Registered User
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD - USA
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Didn't those 3 PPs in quick succession in the 2nd factor at all in OVs minutes? Or are you guys talking about his season minutes as a whole?

To me, OV really hasn't made the most of the minutes he's played this season to this point. Weather it's BBs or DFH, I much prefer all the players earning their playing time. Never been a fan of preferential treatment for superstars.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:58 PM
  #558
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Didn't those 3 PPs in quick succession in the 2nd factor at all in OVs minutes? Or are you guys talking about his season minutes as a whole?

To me, OV really hasn't made the most of the minutes he's played this season to this point. Weather it's BBs or DFH, I much prefer all the players earning their playing time. Never been a fan of preferential treatment for superstars.
Understatement of the season...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:08 PM
  #559
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,321
vCash: 50
Greenberg saild PP's are down in the league but I havent looked at the numbers. I find myself wondering if we are even going to get one most nights. When we do get one, they often seem like weak calls. Ovi the full 2 on every PP dried up a while back. Those 2 may be eating into some of his TOI. I dont seem to remember many OT's this year, another TOI bumper.

Goals per TOI per year may be worth a look.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:11 PM
  #560
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think equating Ovechkin's (relatively) limited ice time to him being unhappy is a reach. He knows as well as anyone that the reason he's not playing as much is because he's sucking.

I could get behind wanting to play him a lot to try to snap him out of his funk, but not just to make him happy.
i am not used to highly paid, high profile athletes being totally down with having their playing role reduced and agreeing with the idea that they are sucking.

maybe OV is different. my guess is that he hates it with a passion and is either totally fired up about it to win his role and ice back or his is unhappy and pouting.

who knows

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:24 PM
  #561
WetHog
Registered User
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD - USA
Country: Poland
Posts: 8,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Understatement of the season...
Well I was trying to be nice. It is the holiday season.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:45 PM
  #562
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
So can anyone guess when was the last time the Caps won 1-0 on an Ovechkin goal and Nuevy shutout?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:09 AM
  #563
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
neuvirth's only issue is that he is a geek and can be an arrogant geek that his teammates dont like. his english has always been good.

as to the thought by some that neuvirth didnt do much last night, he faced 14 shots in the first period. he was bailed out once by wideman, thats not a unique situation. neuvirth made some good saves when they were coming regular and didnt kill his team with a leaky goal.

the caps need a lot more of that.
Is there something out there other than Tarik's article from two years ago that supports this. I remember a lot of us questioned the validity of Tarik's article at the time and it never got any legs. I have not seen anything else regarding Neuvy's relationship with his teammates or for that matter earning or deserving the geek label.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:44 AM
  #564
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,943
vCash: 500
i am a fairly observant guy. i know a geek when i see one. neuvirth is a geek. come on.
is neuvirth a hated and divisive force in the locker room? hell no. do his mates wish him off the team? no. is he a geek and treated by star jocks like jocks tend to treat geeks? sure.

have you ever heard linebackers talk about kickers?

do they hate him? no. do they laugh at him? sure

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:52 AM
  #565
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am a fairly observant guy. i know a geek when i see one. neuvirth is a geek. come on.
is neuvirth a hated and divisive force in the locker room? hell no. do his mates wish him off the team? no. is he a geek and treated by star jocks like jocks tend to treat geeks? sure.

have you ever heard linebackers talk about kickers?

do they hate him? no. do they laugh at him? sure
Goalies are definitely a different breed. Just look at the current 24/7 and the Flyer's goalie Bryzgalov. Neuvy does give you a feeling that he may be more of an introvert and I could picture him with a pocket protector.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:24 AM
  #566
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
So yeah what matters for me right now is that they play the right way, if they arent getting the results then thats okay they'll win enough games to make the playoffs.
This right way stuff is garbage. The right way for one team is the wrong way for another based on personnel.

The Caps are playing now and have been for a while playing a style that in no way whatsoever fits their personnel.

This team is going nowhere because they don't score anywhere close to what they need to and don't have the personnel to win the many 1-0 and 2-1 games they need to because they can't score, especially against good teams.

Either play a style that fits the personnel or turn over the roster to fit the style.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:11 PM
  #567
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!
 
BiPolar Caps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
When it occurred during the summer, I was disappointed that the Caps didn't get higher than just a 4th round for Eric Fehr. His performance the other night was meh, so perhaps the 4th rounder's not looking so bad.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:14 PM
  #568
Carlzner
Who's Zed?
 
Carlzner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 10,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
When it occurred during the summer, I was disappointed that the Caps didn't get higher than just a 4th round for Eric Fehr. His performance the other night was meh, so perhaps the 4th rounder's not looking so bad.

I think we were just trying to unload him for anything really.
Cap reasons.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:08 PM
  #569
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
When it occurred during the summer, I was disappointed that the Caps didn't get higher than just a 4th round for Eric Fehr. His performance the other night was meh, so perhaps the 4th rounder's not looking so bad.
Well it was just his 7th game since returning from yet another injury and in 5 of those games he played less than 10 minutes so I don't know how much could really be expected of him...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:17 PM
  #570
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.
 
Vladiator16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Well it was just his 7th game since returning from yet another injury and in 5 of those games he played less than 10 minutes so I don't know how much could really be expected of him...
EF in a nutshell, great size and potential, but...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.