HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Capitals vs. Jets. 8:30pm. MTS Centre. 12.15.2011

Old
12-16-2011, 03:27 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Take out the 7 game winning streak to start the season and they are 16th.

But hey as long as they play the right way who cares if they score right...?
Take away the goals from 7 wins from all the other teams too then...

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:41 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

If we didn't have the balanced scoring we did now, someone would certainly point out how we are a one line team, how we will easily be shutdown in the playoffs. Nothing to do in between games except for over analyze. Lets subtract the goals from the top 7 TOI guys on every team, and see who leads the league.

Tex TOI among forwards, no matter, as my possible benefits remain. Do tell exactly how his league leading RS TOIs of years past helped us in the post season. Sure, his individual TOI may have led to a first place presidents finish, and facing an easier seed, like Montreal, all the while sticking a huge bullseye on him. Any other benefits you can think of?

Where is the harm of him being 65th out of what, 1200, anyways? We are among the top teams scoring in the league with his paltry TOI.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:42 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Take away the goals from 7 wins from all the other teams too then...
Taking out the goals from the first 7 games of Boston's recent winning streak still leaves them 9th in the league in goals per game.

There is a big difference between 7 random wins scattered over 30 games or so and the 7 wins the Caps had to start the season and the 20 some odd games since.

Those first 7 games are in no way whatsoever representative of what this team really brings to the table these days...

Last edited by Millhaus: 12-16-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:09 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Taking out the goals from the first 7 games of Boston's recent winning streak still leaves them 9th in the league in goals per game.

There is a big difference between 7 random wins scattered over 30 games or so and the 7 wins the Caps had to start the season and the 20 some odd games since.

Those first 7 games are in now way whatsoever representative of what this team really brings to the table these days...
Yeah our time on ice leader and most important defender was playing in those 7 games, lets take out some flyer wins without pronger, or pens without letang...

Who really cares if we finished 7th or 1st, does it matter to you guys? Getting into the playoffs is getting into the playoffs - I wouldn't mind coming in with less pressure on the team from the outside and I know some of you guys feel that way - well we aren't going to get 7th in the east if we have the top scoring team, best pp, and best pk - those teams finish at the top in the regular season. So yeah what matters for me right now is that they play the right way, if they arent getting the results then thats okay they'll win enough games to make the playoffs.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Where is the harm of him being 65th out of what, 1200, anyways? We are among the top teams scoring in the league with his paltry TOI.
take this however you like. players like to play. top players expect to play. i cant see how a hart trophy winner and franchise player is going to be happy with the same ice time that steve ott and brooks laich are getting.

are you sure you want to treat and use alex ovechkin as if he were dainius zubrus?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:29 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I think equating Ovechkin's (relatively) limited ice time to him being unhappy is a reach. He knows as well as anyone that the reason he's not playing as much is because he's sucking.

I could get behind wanting to play him a lot to try to snap him out of his funk, but not just to make him happy.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:52 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Didn't those 3 PPs in quick succession in the 2nd factor at all in OVs minutes? Or are you guys talking about his season minutes as a whole?

To me, OV really hasn't made the most of the minutes he's played this season to this point. Weather it's BBs or DFH, I much prefer all the players earning their playing time. Never been a fan of preferential treatment for superstars.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 05:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Didn't those 3 PPs in quick succession in the 2nd factor at all in OVs minutes? Or are you guys talking about his season minutes as a whole?

To me, OV really hasn't made the most of the minutes he's played this season to this point. Weather it's BBs or DFH, I much prefer all the players earning their playing time. Never been a fan of preferential treatment for superstars.
Understatement of the season...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:08 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Greenberg saild PP's are down in the league but I havent looked at the numbers. I find myself wondering if we are even going to get one most nights. When we do get one, they often seem like weak calls. Ovi the full 2 on every PP dried up a while back. Those 2 may be eating into some of his TOI. I dont seem to remember many OT's this year, another TOI bumper.

Goals per TOI per year may be worth a look.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 06:11 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I think equating Ovechkin's (relatively) limited ice time to him being unhappy is a reach. He knows as well as anyone that the reason he's not playing as much is because he's sucking.

I could get behind wanting to play him a lot to try to snap him out of his funk, but not just to make him happy.
i am not used to highly paid, high profile athletes being totally down with having their playing role reduced and agreeing with the idea that they are sucking.

maybe OV is different. my guess is that he hates it with a passion and is either totally fired up about it to win his role and ice back or his is unhappy and pouting.

who knows

Old
12-16-2011, 06:24 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Understatement of the season...
Well I was trying to be nice. It is the holiday season.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Dirtbag59

So can anyone guess when was the last time the Caps won 1-0 on an Ovechkin goal and Nuevy shutout?

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:09 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
neuvirth's only issue is that he is a geek and can be an arrogant geek that his teammates dont like. his english has always been good.

as to the thought by some that neuvirth didnt do much last night, he faced 14 shots in the first period. he was bailed out once by wideman, thats not a unique situation. neuvirth made some good saves when they were coming regular and didnt kill his team with a leaky goal.

the caps need a lot more of that.
Is there something out there other than Tarik's article from two years ago that supports this. I remember a lot of us questioned the validity of Tarik's article at the time and it never got any legs. I have not seen anything else regarding Neuvy's relationship with his teammates or for that matter earning or deserving the geek label.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:44 AM
txpd

i am a fairly observant guy. i know a geek when i see one. neuvirth is a geek. come on.
is neuvirth a hated and divisive force in the locker room? hell no. do his mates wish him off the team? no. is he a geek and treated by star jocks like jocks tend to treat geeks? sure.

have you ever heard linebackers talk about kickers?

do they hate him? no. do they laugh at him? sure

Old
12-17-2011, 07:52 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am a fairly observant guy. i know a geek when i see one. neuvirth is a geek. come on.
is neuvirth a hated and divisive force in the locker room? hell no. do his mates wish him off the team? no. is he a geek and treated by star jocks like jocks tend to treat geeks? sure.

have you ever heard linebackers talk about kickers?

do they hate him? no. do they laugh at him? sure
Goalies are definitely a different breed. Just look at the current 24/7 and the Flyer's goalie Bryzgalov. Neuvy does give you a feeling that he may be more of an introvert and I could picture him with a pocket protector.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
So yeah what matters for me right now is that they play the right way, if they arent getting the results then thats okay they'll win enough games to make the playoffs.
This right way stuff is garbage. The right way for one team is the wrong way for another based on personnel.

The Caps are playing now and have been for a while playing a style that in no way whatsoever fits their personnel.

This team is going nowhere because they don't score anywhere close to what they need to and don't have the personnel to win the many 1-0 and 2-1 games they need to because they can't score, especially against good teams.

Either play a style that fits the personnel or turn over the roster to fit the style.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:11 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

When it occurred during the summer, I was disappointed that the Caps didn't get higher than just a 4th round for Eric Fehr. His performance the other night was meh, so perhaps the 4th rounder's not looking so bad.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
When it occurred during the summer, I was disappointed that the Caps didn't get higher than just a 4th round for Eric Fehr. His performance the other night was meh, so perhaps the 4th rounder's not looking so bad.

I think we were just trying to unload him for anything really.
Cap reasons.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Well it was just his 7th game since returning from yet another injury and in 5 of those games he played less than 10 minutes so I don't know how much could really be expected of him...

Old
12-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Well it was just his 7th game since returning from yet another injury and in 5 of those games he played less than 10 minutes so I don't know how much could really be expected of him...
EF in a nutshell, great size and potential, but...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote