HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Belliveau Out??

Old
12-15-2011, 02:48 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
Belliveau Out??

Reliable sources tell me that Pete is or will be gone from Dal.

Film at 11.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
dale 1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post

Film at 11.
greg gilbert in? oh ya he just got another job?

dale 1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
SnipeShow91

thats interesting. I guess the great team he got last year to the playoffs gave up on him. Bad few weeks for the Dalhousie hockey program if true!

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 04:18 PM
AUS Fan

It's true. I may apply for the job.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:26 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
It's true. I may apply for the job.
where do we find word on this...i think a semester of asst coaching qualifies me haha

Old
12-15-2011, 04:40 PM
AUS Fan

Not in the news yet. I will check Metro and the Herald in the morning and post a link if there is an article. I think Pete had just signed a new 3 year contract so I would guess the lawyers are involved as well.

Old
12-15-2011, 04:55 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Well if this is true I guess my prediction of him turning Dal into a contender within a few years of taking over was way off. It certainly wasn't for lack of trying though as he brought in a whole slew of new players the last couple years.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 02:32 AM
rantfather

Quote:

Film at 11.
If True, I will not be happy to see this as it may be another case of "the inmates running the institution".
Pete Belliveau has single handedly impacted 4 CIS hockey programs and has a number of National Championships to his credit.
I have known Pete for a number of years as far back as when we at STU used to compete for the same recruits with Pete always seeming to have a better sales pitch than ourselves.
I had a breakfast with Pete back in the Fall in Halifax as the AUS season was beginning and had a chance to appreciate the problems he had with his team of student/athletes who often had conflicting schedules keeping them from the rink.
Pete certainly had a balanced perspective about the responsibilities that they had to their academics which often took presendence in they being student/athletes.

It will be too bad if this ruour proves to be true as Coach Belliveau has an enviable record in the CIS and will be missed.

HOPE THAT IT IS NOT TRUE!

rantfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 07:32 AM
AUS Fan

The Herald Story

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...lace-belliveau

Old
12-16-2011, 11:27 AM
Squirrel Forever

http://athletics.dal.ca/news_events/...ouncement.html

Squirrel Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 12:05 PM
SnipeShow91

Players found out about this in the paper today. Not the way to go in my opinion.

Old
12-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeShow91 View Post
Players found out about this in the paper today. Not the way to go in my opinion.
I agree, and I am not sure this is necessary anyway?? I mean surely everyone else or nearly everyone else in the league has the same concerns, relatively same budget, to operate as they do in this league. No other coach seems to need to concentrate on the business end, while relinquishing their hockey to the full time assistant. This has Boutilier's work all over it too, guy is constantly thinking outside the box, I'll give him that.
As for PB, I'm scratching my head over it. He has to be the luckiest coach in the CIS, to be on his fourth job is amazing. I know guys that have had one, can never get back in for another, and many others who cannot get in for the first. Four!
But lets look at it closer, he had a good situation in Moncton I thought, in the days before the Q made such big inroads, he had the monopoly on the French speaking recruits for the most part. But he got into trouble with that situation on PEI in 96. Goes to Lakehead, another great situation, trouble there, I don't know what happened in Windsor other than he saw the Dal job and went for it. I can appreciate his enthusiasm: as he said prior to taking it, he always envied it, thought highly of the Dal program, I don't blame him, a lot of us did back then for good reason. They have been going down hill since Darrell Young was turfed. Thanks to everyone else's recruits, Fabian brought it back to level for a time, then down she went again. I think Pete just hit the wall finally.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 03:10 PM
timbitca

Pete wasn't let go because of the PEI fiasco, he stayed on until 1998-1999, or maybe even later, can't remember the exact season and he left because of front office problems, not performance. He wasn't full time coach here, he was also working as a phys ed teacher and wanted the full time gig. Uni wouldn't give it to him so he left.

This is too bad though, Pete is a great guy and a great coach and it's too bad this is happening to him and in the way it's happening.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:26 PM
AUS Fan

There seems to be some sort of disconnect between the two articles.

The Herald article says:

Belliveau will likely remain with the university in some capacity, the sources said.

Despite speculation making the rounds that Belliveau would be replaced, Dalhousie athletic director John MacDonald would only confirm that he has a meeting with the Tigers coaching staff this morning.

"Coach Belliveau has been asked to a meeting to talk about a few things but thereís nothing thatís coming from my way," MacDonald said Thursday evening.

"If thereís a meeting I wonít be there," Belliveau said.

The Dal article says:

Belliveau, who has been with the hockey Tigers for the last four seasons, brought a proposal forward to his director, John MacDonald last week to concentrate his efforts to what is perceived in the hockey world as a general manager role and delegate on-ice authority to current assistant coach Chris Donnelly.

Belliveau met with his coaching staff to discuss these plans and pitch his idea early last week. Donnelly, along with the support of assistants Paul Boutilier and Joe Johnston were in agreement

It appears that there was no knowledge of the master plan yesterday when the Herald called and now today after the meeting that Pete wasn't going to, this thing has been in the works for weeks and everyone is fine.

Sounds like full time spin doctoring.

Old
12-17-2011, 07:47 AM
cishockeyfan

In the end this sounds more like this is a great move for everyone involved, I was worried to see Pete go but it sounds like this is more his idea, and the general manager type roll seems to suit him well and could benifit the program alot

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Pete wasn't let go because of the PEI fiasco, he stayed on until 1998-1999, or maybe even later, can't remember the exact season and he left because of front office problems, not performance. He wasn't full time coach here, he was also working as a phys ed teacher and wanted the full time gig. Uni wouldn't give it to him so he left.

This is too bad though, Pete is a great guy and a great coach and it's too bad this is happening to him and in the way it's happening.
Whatever, it was a defining mark on the program under his watch. But to be fair, he won another AUS Championship after that, and he had good years at Lakehead too. What amazes me is his ability to rebound and get in there and get the next job. To the issue at hand, I don't see where the AD is thinking of canning anyone. When PB submitted his proposal last week, given the Sumarah situation at Saint Mary's, and Andy Cameron at UNB, someone in the Dal AD probably saw him in there, got jittery and a rumour was born. If he does get the OK for this move, will it be the start of a chain reaction? Bet it will. Not sure if we are getting more American or Professional...or both.

Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 03:07 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
Whatever, it was a defining mark on the program under his watch. But to be fair, he won another AUS Championship after that, and he had good years at Lakehead too. What amazes me is his ability to rebound and get in there and get the next job. To the issue at hand, I don't see where the AD is thinking of canning anyone. When PB submitted his proposal last week, given the Sumarah situation at Saint Mary's, and Andy Cameron at UNB, someone in the Dal AD probably saw him in there, got jittery and a rumour was born. If he does get the OK for this move, will it be the start of a chain reaction? Bet it will. Not sure if we are getting more American or Professional...or both.
one thing about peter, he seems to be able to generate revenue....he's always run a first class hockey school....so that seems to be his strengths...certainly as a hockey coach itself, he seems to be lacking,,,witness the problems he's had with players that have forced him out in a number of locations....hard to believe any aus program would have financial capacity to hire both a general manager and coach, but again, peter's ability to raise money comes to the forefront here....I wish him the best

austrooper is offline   Reply With Quote