HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2012, 03:49 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I agree. I didn't say they knew much about him necessarily. My point is, you come in your sweater's in the rafters, folks start telling you about him/showing you videos/etc... I think that equals instant credibility that good coaching can build upon.
Not only that but there's a big ass picture of Dale at Kettler.... not that they guys saw much of that in the BB days (just kidding)

Old
01-05-2012, 03:55 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Not only that but there's a big ass picture of Dale at Kettler.... not that they guys saw much of that in the BB days (just kidding)
Its a little different when the guy is actually standing next to you.

Example... the return of Joe Gibbs to washington. The players probably had no clue what he was like in the 80s. No one probably saw his teams play. But they knew he was a legend and for that reason alone you saw players willing to run through brick walls for St. Joe.

In a way, Dale is the Caps' St. Joe.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Its a little different when the guy is actually standing next to you.

Example... the return of Joe Gibbs to washington. The players probably had no clue what he was like in the 80s. No one probably saw his teams play. But they knew he was a legend and for that reason alone you saw players willing to run through brick walls for St. Joe.

In a way, Dale is the Caps' St. Joe.
that's what I'm saying. When the dude blowing the whistle and telling you to move you ass at practice has a big ass picture of himself in a uni right in front of you. something tells me you better ******* move.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
txpd

maybe. i just think that dale has had to prove himself in person a lot more than being the legend. this is not remotely a cut. on the contrary its a compliment. he is earning his respect behind the bench and on the ice at practice and not getting a lot of help from his face on the wall.

the face on the wall and the number in the rafters, any value that had coming in would be spent quickly and he is well past that time. now its about him here and now.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
you make him out to be a simpleton. I dont see that. Maybe a man of few words for sure, but that's not something that automatically implies he's simple.
if thats the way you want to take it. he is a man of few words and of limited ego.
he is a man of doing rather than saying. he is a man of a hard upbringing rather than a nice neighborhood upbringing.

often times being simple and straightforward is more successful.

you can take my description as a negative if you insist. it was not delivered in that way.

in another description. my wife is a special education teacher. she has a master's degree and a high iq. in the class room with children with some severe challenges she controls her space with her precense and not her vocabulary. she stops trouble with a look rather than words. i call it the mean teacher lady look.

in dale's case he doesnt need to say it. the look in his eyes is enough. i am not sure where that says he is a simpleton.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:27 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
maybe. i just think that dale has had to prove himself in person a lot more than being the legend. this is not remotely a cut. on the contrary its a compliment. he is earning his respect behind the bench and on the ice at practice and not getting a lot of help from his face on the wall.

the face on the wall and the number in the rafters, any value that had coming in would be spent quickly and he is well past that time. now its about him here and now.
Its a starting point. A first impression.

Which can and will easily erode if you're full of ****.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

That contrast with Boudreau, that Hunter demands execution/effort simply because of who he is, is one aspect of the hire that I was pretty excited about. By "who he is" I don't mean his legend, but what txpd is getting at in talking about the mean teacher look. The players are who they are, but I thought Hunter's personality would elicit a stronger effort from them. I've actually missed all of the games that make up the winning streak, but from what I've seen in other games and read on here the effort has remained very inconsistent overall. Hopefully that changes, but so far it's been disappointing.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:47 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
That contrast with Boudreau, that Hunter demands execution/effort simply because of who he is, is one aspect of the hire that I was pretty excited about. By "who he is" I don't mean his legend, but what txpd is getting at in talking about the mean teacher look. The players are who they are, but I thought Hunter's personality would elicit a stronger effort from them. I've actually missed all of the games that make up the winning streak, but from what I've seen in other games and read on here the effort has remained very inconsistent overall. Hopefully that changes, but so far it's been disappointing.
The effort has improved a lot. It's got a fair amount of improving to do. But they are playing hard, competing, and executing Dale's system more often than not. They still have lapses, but if you're take away is that it's still close to as inconsistent as it was before/early on in his tenure as coach I would say that's not correct.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
The effort has improved a lot. It's got a fair amount of improving to do. But they are playing hard, competing, and executing Dale's system more often than not. They still have lapses, but if you're take away is that it's still close to as inconsistent as it was before/early on in his tenure as coach I would say that's not correct.
Well alright. Like I said, I've missed a lot of the games. It sounded like the period-to-period efforts had been very inconsistent from what I've read on here, but regardless a lot of things have obviously been better lately, although Ovechkin's scoring is definitely the biggest factor in the team's success.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:02 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Well alright. Like I said, I've missed a lot of the games. It sounded like the period-to-period efforts had been very inconsistent from what I've read on here, but regardless a lot of things have obviously been better lately, although Ovechkin's scoring is definitely the biggest factor in the team's success.
Yeah, wasn't trying to be harsh, just clarifying. I could understand why you'd have that impression giving the wringing of hands and rending of garments that goes on here routinely.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Consistent in hockey = Good start in the first get a lead, ease up in the second, and then come back strong for the 3rd. Even the best teams goes up and down the rebel yell roller coaster, right? Within each game, and within the season. Mired in all that inconsistency, is actually a pattern, the teams identity.

A team that just tries to climb climb climb only get better, is always due for a rude awakening. Spoiled in the regular season, never overcoming adversity, eventually free falls. Usually in the 1st round.

I think our efforts of late have been fine, good first ease up a bit in the second, strong thirds. Looks inconsistent within a games framework, but when a team consistently wins 2 out of 3 periods, that's called a win streak.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
txpd

soc...sometimes we confuse messing up with lack of effort. thats part of it. they are trying to change how they play...again. the other thing which is VERY important is that getting the effort often times has a lot to do with feeling it and winning it.

ovechkin's effort consistancy goes up when his energy goes up and his energy goes up when he is scoring. the team's energy goes up when ov is scoring. the attention to effort goes up when their energy is up.

i would venture to guess that if ov continues his scoring/multi point binge thru a full ten games and the caps win 9 out of those 10 that the juggernaut will be fully relaunched.

this group remains very emotional and how they play depends a lot on how they do.
if they win 9 out of 10, they will achieve a standings position that makes them scary again and hunter will have done his job til the playoffs arrive.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:50 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Ovechkin is like the Diablo 3 barbarian in berserk; his stats go up with every consecutive hit. /nerd

Old
01-05-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ovechkin is like the Diablo 3 barbarian in berserk; his stats go up with every consecutive hit. /nerd
HA, Win!

Old
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Wait wut. diablo 3 is out?

Old
01-05-2012, 07:11 PM
ALLCAPSALLTHETIME
I love Lars

Diablo III will be released when the sun goes supernova. Lol.

I prefer this guy:

Nasty looking, bad arsed, missing teeth, on the edge dude.

Yes, I am a nerd too.

Anyway, on topic, it is true that Ovie feeds off emotion as do his teammates. When he scores, dishes out a big hit, he tends to elevate his game even more. He is sort of Barbaric in a way, although stupid Gillette has curtailed that to an extent.

Last edited by ALLCAPSALLTHETIME: 01-05-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old
01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Torchlight is the most shameless of the Diablo rip-offs that ex-Blizzard folks made. And that's pretty darn shameless.

We have the firepower (in theory) to make up for a team "taking Ovie away" by double and triple teaming him. But the team is too dependent on Ovechkin's energy to set the tone for them. The team feeds off Ovechkin too much, and when he's contained it's hard to get the team rolling. That's why the consistent cycling and forecheck from the 3rd line was so important at the beginning of the season, because it didn't need Ovechkin to set the tone. Now that the third line is drying up, we're leaning too heavily on the top scorers to create goals. We have no secondary scoring right now. Ovechkin, Backstrom, and/or Semin have registered a point in 9 of the last 10 goals this team has scored.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Carlzner

What is going on in this thread?

Old
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
What is going on in this thread?
Haha I was wondering that myself

Old
01-05-2012, 11:20 PM

Kinda funny that Eklund has the Caps & Pens as being discussions with Calgary, a deal that could be made over the weekend. For a while now we / the boards in general, have speculating that it could / would be Bourque. Given what happened with Backis I doubt that would be the case now.

Just for sh!ts n gigs .... what who makes sense now?

Old
01-05-2012, 11:24 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Am I missing something? When did Bob Woods ever run the PK for the Caps?

Old
01-05-2012, 11:27 PM
Capitlols

Didn't Chimera injure OV when he was at CLB? If management wants Bourque I don't think he's out of the equation b/c of that incident. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of his to begin with and would prefer we go after a legitimate #2C.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:37 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Didn't Chimera injure OV when he was at CLB? If management wants Bourque I don't think he's out of the equation b/c of that incident. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of his to begin with and would prefer we go after a legitimate #2C.
Chimera was the one who injured Ovi and I agree I would rather have a proven #2C than Bourque

Old
01-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

I'm hopping on board the Vinny Prospal boat as a/the forward acquisition. Expiring contract with only a $2.5M cap hit. Has 27 points already on a terrible Columbus team. Can line up at any forward position, though he's mostly played wing recently. I think he'd look awfully good as a playmaker and complimentary piece on a line with Semin or Ovechkin.

Old
01-06-2012, 04:25 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Getzlaf to the Caps

Hey I dont really know if you guys would even be interested realistically but it seems EVERYONE wants a piece to a point.

The trade would require a core piece coming back so I'm gonna give you guys a layout and an Idea that i have and you can give me your opinion. Please do not flame too hard if you do not like it.

A center would have to come back so 1 of Laich and Johansson.

A top 4 defender. I would prefer a PMD like Carlson or Green. I like green and I think his value is lower then Carlson personally.

Picks to even it out.

So let me throw it out there.

Johansson + Green + 1st (which ever is lower as in closer to the 2nd round) (6.15)

Getzlaf + 2nd (31-35) (5.325)

I want to finish by saying I totally understand if this doesnt work for you. Please understand that A CENTER MUST RETURN IN THE DEAL and upcoming UFAs like Semin have no value to us.

Closed Thread