HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

LTIR & Salary Cap CBA Question

Old
12-15-2011, 07:31 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
LTIR & Salary Cap CBA Question

A buddy of mine is saying that in order for a player to be placed on LTIR(we're discussing Pronger) in the beginning of the season, he must spend one day on the active roster. He said that the Flyers did this with Ian Laperriere this year, where he spent one day on the active roster and then was placed on LTIR. To accommodate this, the Flyers put Brayden Schenn in the AHL for a short time in the beginning of the year(I thought it was to make that bonus in his contract unattainable).

So my question is, does a player have to spend one day on the active roster in the beginning of the year before he is placed on LTIR?

Also, would this mean the Flyers would have to build into their cap 4.92M to fit in Pronger's cap hit at the beginning of the season and then put him on LTIR, and they would have 4.92M in cap space? Or would they only have to build in Pronger's cap hit for one day? Basically, would having to put Pronger on LTIR prevent us from using his theoretical cap space that will be created on a player like Weber or Suter?

A lot of questions, but if someone has an answer, I'd really appreciate it.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2011, 07:34 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
He has to be put on the active roster to get put on LTIR, but I did not think he needed to wait a day. A team could have all the paperwork in order, put him on the active roster, and then request LTIR right after. Now, I guess depending on how long the league takes to process it, it could be a day, but you would just not call up your 7th D or 13th F.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 01:15 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Best to go back and check Rathje/Flyer history. He was "not cleared" medically for a few preseasons/start-of-camp and (immediately) put on LTIR (in the preseason).

I'd guess something similar is possible for Pronger.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Totally Radivojevic

Merely a hypothetical, if Pronger is medically cleared during the playoffs, could he return even if they use his LTIR exception to acquire another player before the deadline? They wouldn't be over the cap because there is no cap in the playoffs, correct?

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:28 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post
Merely a hypothetical, if Pronger is medically cleared during the playoffs, could he return even if they use his LTIR exception to acquire another player before the deadline? They wouldn't be over the cap because there is no cap in the playoffs, correct?
Yes.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Totally Radivojevic

Thanks.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

With Pronger shut down now for the season, and if there's any potential for retirement, how does this impact:

Cap
Remaining monies on his SPC
Insurance

or is it all mute with the expiration of the current CBA?

Reason I ask, and posted here is... saw something similiar in a Marc Savard thread ( http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=953685&page=2 ) and also there's talk of a possible Mattias Ohlund retirement (nothing official, just speculation. He hasn't even been added to LTIR yet). All 3 with different SPC's. One thing that has me confused is Chiarelli (and kdb) stated Savard is not entitled to his remaining money if he retires.

How does that counter (voluntary retirement list) what's contained in 23.4 of the CBA?

Major4Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Bonesy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
With Pronger shut down now for the season, and if there's any potential for retirement, how does this impact:

Cap
Insurance

Reason I ask, and posted here is... saw something similiar in a Marc Savard thread ( http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=953685&page=2 ) and also there's talk of a possible Mattias Ohlund retirement (nothing official, just speculation. He hasn't even been added to LTIR yet). All 3 with different SPC's. One thing that has me confused is Chiarelli (and kdb) stated Savard is not entitled to his remaining money if he retires.

How does that counter (voluntary retirement list) what's contained in 23.4 of the CBA?
Savard is not on a 35+ contract, so no the bruins would not be entitled to pay him out. This is why Savard has to train, and if cleared the bruins have to make the space for him to play. But, as long as he is training and working to try and get better then the bruins have to pay him.

Pronger is on a 35+ contract so his salary and cap hit are constant till the end of his contract. As for the insurance part I am not sure.

Edit:

I am pretty sure too with pronger that if he is injured and the injury holds him out the rest of his career (Proof from a Doctor), then he can just be placed on IR for the remainder of his contract. Another neat thing I learned was that teams can spend up to 10% higher than the cap until the season starts. For the remainder of Pronger's contract even if he is on the IR this will affect the flyers in spending up to the 10% bonus. Every player on the IR hurts the amount of money a team can spend in the offseason. Especially a team so tight to the cap (within 3 or 4 million) without the IR players.

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:12 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Pronger would not get his salary if he retires, but the cap hit would be on the Flyers cap without any way to remove it. So he won't retire. If he can't play, he'll stay on LTIR for 5.75 years, collect his $20M or so he's got left, and retire at the end of the deal.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:38 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post

Cap
Insurance

Section 23.4 mentions salary, but all the "retirement" form language discusses the Career Ending Disability Insurance program, which is a different insurance policy than the one teams use to insure an SPC salary. Details on the Career Ending Disability Insurance coverage are right above in section 23.3.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote