HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks 2011-12 Rumor , Speculation , Trade Proposal , etc thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2012, 10:46 PM
zytz
lumberjack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
If we sit on our hands and don't make a depth upgrade, I'm going to be absolutely furious.

Seems to me like everyone is buying this year and noone is selling. I'd much rather we stay with the roster we have than overpay.

Old
02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytz View Post

Seems to me like everyone is buying this year and noone is selling. I'd much rather we stay with the roster we have than overpay.
Not trying to sound like a dick, but people say this literally every single year.

Old
02-05-2012, 11:03 PM
CS85
Tell 'em, Mean Gene!

Send a message via AIM to CS85
Not sure if it's been posted, here's Crawford's new helmet he'll wear at home only (I think)

Old
02-05-2012, 11:08 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Not trying to sound like a dick, but people say this literally every single year.
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Depending on which chicken little you talk to around here, we need go anywhere from trading Bickell and Fro,or both the goalies, or all our best prospects, or Kane, to firing Q and Bowman. Overall, that says to me this is not a fan base that is confident in its team's ability to win a cup this year, and if you don't have a great shot then why overpay for short term assets?

Old
02-06-2012, 01:18 AM
BiBoFro*

Quote:

Depending on which chicken little you talk to around here, we need go anywhere from trading Bickell and Fro,or both the goalies, or all our best prospects, or Kane, to firing Q and Bowman. Overall, that says to me this is not a fan base that is confident in its team's ability to win a cup this year, and if you don't have a great shot then why overpay for short term assets?
I think this perfectly sums it up.

I'll be the first to admit, that I don't feel our team has a chance at the cup this year unless we're overpaying for parts.

I'd like to propose a toast for zytz.

Old
02-06-2012, 02:55 PM
zytz
lumberjack

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Semin/1/41936

Sorry on a mobile so can't do the link-

Sure made me LOL though! Do we really want anything to do with Nash, his cap hit, or what it would take to get him? Eklund is such a fraud.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Recoil

Quote:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-Semin/1/41936

Sorry on a mobile so can't do the link-

Sure made me LOL though! Do we really want anything to do with Nash, his cap hit, or what it would take to get him? Eklund is such a fraud.
So why post this link, enticing others to click on it to read it? That is exactly what Eklund wants --- people to visit his site and get page views. I don't even bother going there. At all. Nor will I post the link for anyone else to see so they don't go there either.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:

Yes, but that turns into a dangerous loop.

For example, you're a proponent of the Hawks not giving away too much for a rental at the deadline. Perfectly understandable - your reasoning is that teams are going to overpay.

So come free agency, where the Hawks will still have a ton of cap space just as they do now, will you say the same thing? That the Hawks should take it easy on free agents because other teams want them too, ultimately driving up the price?

The NHL has 30 teams - of course players are going to be in high demand. While I obviously don't want the Hawks to make a trade that's going to kill their future, I'd certainly be willing to give up a few of the many, many prospects that the Hawks have in the system.
Have to give to get.

Eventually, Chicago will need to fill its roster up somehow. Whether it's by overpaying through free agency or overpaying in a trade, it has to happen eventually if this team is going to win the Cup again.
And no, for anyone who's about to say it, the draft isn't quite the way to do it. Not when the team will be drafting at around the 22 position or later.

I just get tired of the constant overvaluing of prospects on here, you know? Like I said, you have to give to get. The draft is an imperfect science once you're past about pick 10, so that's not the way to go.
Hawks are going to need to overpay somewhere, so might as well at least try doing it so this team can do some damage come springtime. Keith and Seabrook are in there primes - might as well not waste them with the "next year" mentality.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I just get tired of the constant overvaluing of prospects on here, you know? Like I said, you have to give to get. The draft is an imperfect science once you're past about pick 10, so that's not the way to go.
Hawks are going to need to overpay somewhere, so might as well at least try doing it so this season isn't a waste. Keith and Seabrook are in there primes - might as well not waste them with the "next year" mentality.
Now admittedly I'm not going to pretend to be a great judge of young hockey talent unless it's an obvious one like Kane was, and I also don't see ANY Rockford Icehogs games, but, I get a little concerned in a different way about this. A different way to look at prospects being overvalued is that they aren't turning out as good as we had hoped. Saad seems to be playing very well still, granted not at the AHL level yet, but he is only 18. However other guys many of us were hoping would be ready to make the jump to the NHL, such as Morin, have seem to have taken steps backward (at least production wise) this season, making one wonder if we really do in fact have a lot of Top 6 talent waiting in the wings.

I also find it VERY odd that we haven't had a single defensive call-up this year (save a game or two from Dylan Olsen) when we have guys like Scott skating 5min or less, O'Donnell sitting 2 out of every 5 games, and Lepisto becoming familiar with the desert cart at the United Center. For all the young defensive talent we have been talking about the last 2 years, Leddy is the only one who has gotten up so far. I would have thought we may have had another one we could try at #6 given our apparent lack of confidence in the other players in that position.

Maybe that's just some pessimism in me, but it's a feeling I've been getting as this year has gone forward.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:23 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I absolutely agree, you have to give to get. But thats also why we don't need to overpay for anything right now. At the end of the day, our core is one of the best in. the league. We have one of the best prospect pools in the league. We aren't in a position where we should feel pressure to make a move because frankly, there is none. We are set up to take semi-serious shots at the cup for a few more years.

I guess all I'm saying is that the team is in good shape... if a good deal presents itself, we should take it, but if not, we shouldn't try to force anything.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

The Hawks have a deep prospect pool but none of these guys really look all that capable to fill this team's holes in the short run. For example, it's nice to have a bunch of potential, say, third line forwards playing on the farm team and developing... a deep prospect pool, in no uncertain terms. But not any blue chip guys, which is the issue here. The hole at #2C, for example, cannot currently be filled by Kruger or Pirri, Chicago's two best center prospects.

Which is why overpaying in free agency or through a trade is pretty much going to be a necessity at some point.

Old
02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Agreed 100%, we won't even have a possibility for #2 C for another couple years if we try to develop one.

Old
02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed 100%, we won't even have a possibility for #2 C for another couple years if we try to develop one.
This is true- but does a 2C overpaid for right now solve all of this team's problems? If the answer is no, then it's best not to buy, IMO.

Old
02-06-2012, 05:10 PM
BiBoFro*

We should just forget about the second line center and look to acquire a top LW. Sharp can play center for now.

Old
02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Hawkaholic

We should trade the prospects that are redundent to what we already have on the team.

I'm talking about
Pirri or Kruger (we have small Cs already)
Lalonde or Clendening(enough PMD that dont play big)
Smith (enough small guys that dont really intimidate)
any picks not in the 1st round depending on depth of draft and where we will likely finish.

We need to develop the big and/or gritty guys like Beach, Hayes both, Flick, Paradis, McNeill, Johns, Olsen.

Old
02-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Sharp doesn't want to play Center...

Old
02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
moose vasko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
We should trade the prospects that are redundent to what we already have on the team.

I'm talking about
any picks not in the 1st round depending on depth of draft and where we will likely finish.

We need to develop the big and/or gritty guys like Beach, Hayes both, Flick, Paradis, McNeill, Johns, Olsen.
I would add in Nordstrom and Danault, but I totally agree with the direction you're suggesting. We have enough smurfs, perimeter players, and stick checkers. We need guys who are willing to pay a high price themselves and are willing to make our opponents pay it.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:27 PM
EbonyRaptor

Patience and there will be a Cup in the future ...

2013/14 lineup:

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Bolland-Hossa
Saad-McNeill-JHayes
Morin-Kruger-Shaw

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Olsen
Hjalmarsson-Lalonde

Crawford
Salak

So please don't trade anyone on that roster for some shot in the dark chance in 2011/12.

Old
02-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Sevanston

Quote:

I'm talking about

I don't think you've ever actually watched Lalonde or Clendening play. Neither of them play "small".

If we were going to build a hockey team for size alone, then Simon Denis-Pepin would already be in Chicago on the Hawks. As it stands, he has a greater chance of playing for the Chicago Express.

The obsession with size is getting out of hand. Good hockey players are good hockey players, regardless of their size.

Last edited by Sevanston: 02-06-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old
02-06-2012, 11:30 PM
RomersWorld*

Yeah too bad we let Hugh Jessiman slip from our fingertips.

Old
02-07-2012, 08:53 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Patience and there will be a Cup in the future ...

2013/14 lineup:

Stalberg-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Bolland-Hossa
Saad-McNeill-JHayes
Morin-Kruger-Shaw

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Olsen
Hjalmarsson-Lalonde

Crawford
Salak

So please don't trade anyone on that roster for some shot in the dark chance in 2011/12.
Oh, you already know all of those guys are going to stay healthy until then?

Old
02-07-2012, 09:19 AM
BobbyJet

Quote:

I'm talking about

I agree as well. I'm not happy with Stan trending towards a European style of play, Detroit style. He could take a page out of Burke's book of signing players with truculence in their game. Make it so teams hate to play the Hawks.

Old
02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I agree as well. I'm not happy with Stan trending towards a European style of play, Detroit style. He could take a page out of Burke's book of signing players with truculence in their game. Make it so teams hate to play the Hawks.
Yeah, the new Detroit style isn't overly impressive to me. Now the late 90's combination of skill and smash mouth hockey, that I liked a lot.

Old
02-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
And like Burke's teams the Hawks could miss playoffs

Old
02-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
I don't think you've ever actually watched Lalonde or Clendening play. Neither of them play "small".

If we were going to build a hockey team for size alone, then Simon Denis-Pepin would already be in Chicago on the Hawks. As it stands, he has a greater chance of playing for the Chicago Express.

The obsession with size is getting out of hand. Good hockey players are good hockey players, regardless of their size.
I have seen both play, couple years ago Lalonde in London, On (w/ OS and Rookie Tourny) and Clendening at the WJC. Neither play small, but neither play big either.

Obsession with size is getting out of hand?
This year is the perfect example, we have all these talented farm players, but they are all small and don't add a whole lot when they aren't scoring. Say next year, when we need farm call ups, I would much prefer to call up guys with some size that can play at the NHL level. Instead of calling up Shaw, Pirri, and Smith, we can call up Beach, Paradis and Morin (if they are ready) and have more size in our line-up. Size may not be the be all end all, but it's something we truly lack lately. All things equal, I would much rather have a guy who is a big, gritty, go to the net player (Perry) rather than a smaller flashy forward who doesn't intimidate at all. (Kane)

Name one Stanley Cup winner that didn't have a mean, gritty, go to the net, big talented forward in their top 9

Boston - Lucic, Marchand, Horton
Chicago - Buff, Ladd,
Pittsburgh - might be the only team without one (unfortunately we don't employ a combination of Malkin, Crosby, Staal and Fleury on the same team)
Detroit - Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Franzen
Anaheim - Getzlaf, Ryan, Perry, Penner

Who does Chicago have this year?
Stalberg, he is the biggest, meanest, grittest forward in our top 9 and that isn't saying much.

Closed Thread