HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Crow Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Blues0307

vCash: 500
Great thread.

Definitely wrong about Hitchcock so far. I thought there would be a battle of egos between the young guys and he....good call on my part.

I wouldn't have minded seeing Oshie traded for an upgrade at forward.

I thought Stewart would have a career year.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:17 PM
STL fan in IA

I wasn't a big fan of the Elliott signing and obviously never expected him to be this good. I wasn't so down on his signing because of him but I just wanted the Blues to sign a more "proven" backup. Oops!

I also expected Stewart to be a lot better than he has so far too.

I actually liked the signing of Hitchcock but I sure didn't think the turnaround would be this good!

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Honeycutt

Oshie has been much better than i expected. I am dumb, and at times I thought he would be no better than a great 3rd liner on a good team.

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
blues38pavol

I was certain that the pressure of a return would weigh heavily on Perron causing him to have way less effectiveness than what he was producing before the Thornton hit and would eventually lead to his being traded.

DELICIOUS CROW!!! So, so, so happy to partake!!!

blues38pavol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
mmitchell19

I did not think Steen and Backes would find chemistry together, since their roles, involvement and energy level are so similar...I figured they'd be trying to do the same thing too often & running into one another. So far, bad call (though I think Steen comes off the line when both Andy Mac and Perron are healthy).

I never agreed with Backes playing center, and I still think he'd be an incredible crash & bang winger...but he's playing so well up the middle that I don't think he'll ever be moved out to the wing.

I fully expected the Hitch effect to be short-term in nature, maybe 7-10 games. Whether it's his coaching, or the players finding chemistry / growing up / being influenced by the new vets / goaltending coming around / etc., I'm pleasantly surprised at how long this streak of outstanding play has lasted and I hope it continues deep into the playoffs.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I guess I didn't realize so few people favored Elliott as the backup. Was I the only one? I just thought it would be better to get the guy with experience in there since they were playing pretty even. Obviously didn't expect him to start this tear.
No, I was glad when we got him. I thought we should give him a chance, and I was hopeful. I was excited to see what he could do.

So far I don't have much crow to eat but I did expect more from Stewart as well. And who knows it could happen.

Sushiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 06:44 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I'm glad I'm not eating crow about last year when I called the Kings out for being overrated. Not to mention, they still are. Though I do have a chance of eating crow about RNH. I said I'd eat crow if he ever hit 120 points. This kid is amazing, and may do it in his prime.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

I gotta eat crow about the Blues assistant coaches. I figured that as long as they were around the Blues wouldn't be able to take this step they've taken this season, no matter who was head coach. I wanted a full house cleaning when Payne was replaced.

I'll take my crow with a side of BBQ sauce and a mug of beer, please.

bluemandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

With all the crow being served I should have opened up a restaurant.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Chicago Blues

I don't have any good specific crow to name so I'll just do a general eating of crow for giving up on the Blues from about the time they lost to San Jose after winning the President's trophy to now (ages 16-27). I was so bitter because of all of that.

(In my defense, my break from the Blues was exacerbated by going away to school where I could only watch the Hawks, by hockey sucking, and then by moving to Chicago after undergrad - oddly enough, I would say the Hawks cup was the first thing that got me looking back to the Blues).

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Renard

1. I expected Berglung to be the Blues' top scorer this year, based on his performance in the second half of last season.

2. I did not expect Hitchcock to have much of a positive effect on the team. I viewed him as another Andy Murray, a disciplinarian who would alienate the young players.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
ZaphodBeeblebrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I gotta eat crow about the Blues assistant coaches. I figured that as long as they were around the Blues wouldn't be able to take this step they've taken this season, no matter who was head coach. I wanted a full house cleaning when Payne was replaced.

I'll take my crow with a side of BBQ sauce and a mug of beer, please.
I was definitely guilty of thinking along those exact same lines.

Really great move by Armstrong, when you think about it, he exercised a lot of patience and restraint.

I did expect even more balanced scoring this season, but I also expected more of Stewart.

What else? I was reallly surprised that Hitchcock put Backes Oshie and Steen on a line together, but I loved it and I can't wait for Steen to get better and get back out there.

With McDonald and Perron back I don't know if they'll be paired together like that again but it sure was fun to watch.

ZaphodBeeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Frenzy1

I have a bit of crow to eat as well.

1. Though Stewie made Oshie expendable. WRONG.
2. Figured, of Berglund, Stewie and Oshie - TJ offered the least offense. WRONG.
3. Thought we would be top 10 in goals for this year. WRONG.
4. Figured we would make the playoffs but not contend for the division. WRONG.
5. One of many who didn't like the Elliot signing and thought Bishop should have been the back up. WRONG
6. Thought DAgo would likely be traded due to too much offense - WRONG.
7. Figured Cola would miss his usual 40 games. WRONG.
8. Didn't like the Hich signing thought his structure would be a miss for this team. WRONG.

Yeah. That is a fair bit of crow to eat.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:32 PM
jimmykay

well, to be fair, yes, we are off of our pace from last year where we were technically in the top 10 in goals scored. But the middle of the pack is always tightly packed. We all remember the 10 goal dismantling of Det. at the end of the season, right? Removing that one game would have put us as low as 14th in goals scored. We're currently at 19th in goals for. So if we can put together a few +5 goal games at the end of the season again, suddenly all of those offensive woes we have are gone.

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:42 PM
BlueDream

I wasn't THAT thrilled with the hiring of Hitchcock.

But yeah he's been alright.

Also didn't think Oshie was going to play well this season. But he's been great.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 12:15 AM
ZomboIsGod

MMMM YUMMY... give me a bite of that tasty crow

I never understood why Montréal fans thought so highly of Jaro..

After 1 1/4 seasons, I was ready to give up on him..

Granted, the system he plays in surely helps his stats but he's been incredible since Hitch took over and I couldn't be happier for the guy (and for us Blues fans).

I always wanted him to succeed because he seems like a great guy (although really shy) but I was starting to believe he was a one-hit wonder and boy I am glad I am wrong

ZomboIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
brett9897

I thought Stewart and Backes would score 30+. Looks like I will most likely be wrong on both accounts.

I thought Oshie would score 14 goals max.

brett9897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 05:49 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

I was wrong, in a big way, that Schwartz would be sent to Peoria first.

With that said, I'm not disappointed that I was wrong.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:10 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I was wrong, in a big way, that Schwartz would be sent to Peoria first.

With that said, I'm not disappointed that I was wrong.
Me too - but if the Blues think he's ready, he's ready. And clearly they expect him to be in the NHL next season. I figured him for a year in the AHL.

What the heck do I know?

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Me too - but if the Blues think he's ready, he's ready. And clearly they expect him to be in the NHL next season. I figured him for a year in the AHL.

What the heck do I know?
Honestly, I think this ultimately has more to do with Steen's injury than it does with Schwartz's readiness. The organization looks like they're hedging their bets against another injury to a top-6er since they can't count on Steen returning. If Steen's healthy right now, I doubt the move is made.

Old
03-12-2012, 06:25 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I thought that Schwartz would start with the Blues next season, and not play in Peoria, but I didn't think he would play for the Blues this season. Definitely exciting.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Honestly, I think this ultimately has more to do with Steen's injury than it does with Schwartz's readiness. The organization looks like they're hedging their bets against another injury to a top-6er since they can't count on Steen returning. If Steen's healthy right now, I doubt the move is made.
Could be true, but if they didn't think Schwartz could play in the NHL now they wouldn't burn a year on his ELC.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
Could be true, but if they didn't think Schwartz could play in the NHL now they wouldn't burn a year on his ELC.
Oh, I agree.

I just don't think this would be their "optimal" development path in a vacuum. His skills are NHL ready, but there's quite a jump in quality and speed between college and the AHL, and another significant jump again between the AHL and the NHL.

Getting his feet wet at Peoria without burning a year on his ELC, seeing where he stands and giving him an entire summer under the team's direction to prepare for the upcoming season, and then hoping he earns a spot on the NHL club out of camp (after seeing him in some exhibition games and in camp) seems more optimal on quite a few levels.

I'm not complaining, though, that's for sure.

Old
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Oh, I agree.

I just don't think this would be their "optimal" development path in a vacuum. His skills are NHL ready, but there's quite a jump in quality and speed between college and the AHL, and another significant jump again between the AHL and the NHL.

Getting his feet wet at Peoria without burning a year on his ELC, seeing where he stands and giving him an entire summer under the team's direction to prepare for the upcoming season, and then hoping he earns a spot on the NHL club out of camp (after seeing him in some exhibition games and in camp) seems more optimal on quite a few levels.

I'm not complaining, though, that's for sure.
I'll agree with this right up until a top six forward goes down...

bluemandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 10:08 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I'll agree with this right up until a top six forward goes down...
If the team loses one top 6 forward, but is otherwise healthy as assumed in the post of mine that you quoted, they'll still have ten of Backes, Oshie, Steen, Perron, McDonald, Berglund, Arnott, D'Agostini, Stewart, Langenbrunner, and Sobotka healthy. There is no need for Schwartz with that lineup.

If you're talking about another top 6 forward going down on top of what's currently out, then I agree. That observation is what originally prompted this little tangent of the discussion.