HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

TSN - Grigorenko Retains Top Spot in ISS Draft Rankings

Old
12-16-2011, 10:44 PM
Mathletic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
So is Yakupov still the best prospect since Crosby? (Honest Question)
MacKinnon IMO is the best prospect since Crosby

Mathletic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
So is Yakupov still the best prospect since Crosby? (Honest Question)
Probably not since hes not a consensus #1. The tag has been thrown around a few times, tavares most notably. However its probably stamkos at this point (basing on career so far). Stamkos actually didnt get all that much hype for being such a surefire #1 prospect and has really panned out.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Hes been amazing so far but its still really early to say that. Remember tavares at 16?

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Fulcrum

I want to see Yakupov with his solid teammate Galchenyuk this season. With the injury and mixed roster of Sarnia, I have a feeling he is not play at his full potential at the moment.

WJC will be very telling where he sits in the world of hockey...

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:09 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

MacKinnon, wow. Double wow.

Yakupov is indeed impressive. The skating and skill is breathtaking. Very much like Pavel Bure and Alexander Mogilny. The thing I love most about Nail is that he plays like a little ball of hate. The only knock on him is that he's undersized, but that's kind of nitpicking.

Grigorenko impresses me more though. While Yakupov speeds up the game, Grigorenko slows it down with elite hockey sense and vision. Bullet of a shot too. Big, skilled centers are rare. That's why I favor 'Renko. I always value centers over wingers if two players are essentially equal. I was a Tyler over Taylor guy.

Yakupov is like a rocket launcher you bring to a fight, but Grigorenko is the one wielding the weapon. Either way, whoever drafts 1st overall (looking like my Islanders) is going to have a really tough choice.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Mathletic

just heard an interview with Elena Pavluychenko who's translator for Grigorenko in Quebec. She says Mickael can now do his interviews in english by himself with scouts and he's learned the language very quickly and well since when he came over he knew no english nor french. His family recetly came over as well, they're a tight bunch apparently and all is well for him. Big X-Box fan as well

Old
12-16-2011, 11:39 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
just heard an interview with Elena Pavluychenko who's translator for Grigorenko in Quebec. She says Mickael can now do his interviews in english by himself with scouts and he's learned the language very quickly and well since when he came over he knew no english nor french. His family recetly came over as well, they're a tight bunch apparently and all is well for him. Big X-Box fan as well
That's great to hear. I know there are many with a strong anti-Russian bias, but this type of thing shows me he's not a huge threat to bolt to the KHL if things aren't going his way like Filatov and Radulov. The possibility is always there, but I think Grigorenko is going to be one helluva player in the NHL.

Old
12-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
That's great to hear. I know there are many with a strong anti-Russian bias, but this type of thing shows me he's not a huge threat to bolt to the KHL if things aren't going his way like Filatov and Radulov. The possibility is always there, but I think Grigorenko is going to be one helluva player in the NHL.
forgot to mention this as well but we've had some terrible experiences in Quebec with Russians i.e. Maxim Balmochnykh who disappeared overnight. The interviewer asked her if Grigorenko was that type of kid and she said no, quite different.

other tidbits, Grigorenko put a bit too much pressure on himself at the beginning of the season. He was surprised by the hype when he arrived in Quebec with journalists at the airport waiting for him. He didn't have the start he wanted but everything's been fine since. Also she says he has a good sens of humor. At first he was shy because of the language barrier, pressure and all but other than that he's a good kid.

Old
12-16-2011, 11:56 PM
canucksPK

I think Yakupov will pan out to be the better player. I have no idea how Yakupov dropped to #2.. he is scoring a ton without even having galchenyuk.

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:01 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
forgot to mention this as well but we've had some terrible experiences in Quebec with Russians i.e. Maxim Balmochnykh who disappeared overnight. The interviewer asked her if Grigorenko was that type of kid and she said no, quite different.

other tidbits, Grigorenko put a bit too much pressure on himself at the beginning of the season. He was surprised by the hype when he arrived in Quebec with journalists at the airport waiting for him. He didn't have the start he wanted but everything's been fine since. Also she says he has a good sens of humor. At first he was shy because of the language barrier, pressure and all but other than that he's a good kid.
Yeah, I read that too. His translator remarked about how humble he was. He saw the crowd at the airport and asked her if there was a celebrity or something there. It didn't register in his head that it was him they were there for.

It's understandable to have some sort of adjustment coming over here to play. Major culture shock and an unfamiliar language. Looks like he's handling it pretty damn well. Being coached by Patrick Roy can't hurt either. If Grigorenko falls past #2 overall, I'd be shocked. I think it's shaping up as a two horse race, another Taylor/Tyler scenario.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
RJQuack

Grigorenko > Yakupov... But MacKinnon > Grigorenko ;D IMO

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:45 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

If the Islanders do indeed get first overall, I see them taking Yakupov due to Tavares. After spending that much on him, he's almost certainly they're #1 center going forward, and Yakupov would look absolutely sick next to him.

If Grigorenko is willing to go back to wing though, I think they almost have to take him. His diversity, elite hockey sense, and a bit more of a playmaker style would fit Tavares a bit better IMO. Might be wrong, but that's what I see.

So is Forsberg really that good? I haven't seen a thing about him, and it surprises me that he's so high.

Also, why is Girgensons so low? I've seen him in the top 10 pretty much everywhere else.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:51 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
If the Islanders do indeed get first overall, I see them taking Yakupov due to Tavares. After spending that much on him, he's almost certainly they're #1 center going forward, and Yakupov would look absolutely sick next to him.

If Grigorenko is willing to go back to wing though, I think they almost have to take him. His diversity, elite hockey sense, and a bit more of a playmaker style would fit Tavares a bit better IMO. Might be wrong, but that's what I see.

So is Forsberg really that good? I haven't seen a thing about him, and it surprises me that he's so high.

Also, why is Girgensons so low? I've seen him in the top 10 pretty much everywhere else.
I agree with you on Grigorenko, I think he's the better fit to play with Tavares as big Mikhail is lauded for his ability to elevate the play of his teammates. The two of them would amplify eachother and I think it would be absolutely ******** (in a good way).

As for Forsberg, from the little I've seen and heard of him, this kid is the goods. Someone posted this video of highlights of a recent game in which Filip scored 2 goals. Take a look, he looks impressive. Looks like a gamebreaker to me and he may make it a 3-way race for #1.

http://www.leksandsif.se/7811.php

Scroll down to view the video.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:03 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
I think Yakupov will pan out to be the better player. I have no idea how Yakupov dropped to #2.. he is scoring a ton without even having galchenyuk.
ISS likes to hype.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:03 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I agree with you on Grigorenko, I think he's the better fit to play with Tavares as big Mikhail is lauded for his ability to elevate the play of his teammates. The two of them would amplify eachother and I think it would be absolutely ******** (in a good way).

As for Forsberg, from the little I've seen and heard of him, this kid is the goods. Someone posted this video of highlights of a recent game in which Filip scored 2 goals. Take a look, he looks impressive. Looks like a gamebreaker to me and he may make it a 3-way race for #1.

http://www.leksandsif.se/7811.php

Scroll down to view the video.
Wow, he's got a laser. And some pretty solid awareness, too. But then again, it's only one game.

I feel more like he's in a spot like Duchene was, makes it a solid top 3 but doubtful as to moving up. Yakupov and Grigorenko go head to head in more of a Hall-Seguin fashion.

2013 excites me, though. Barkov, MacKinnon, Jones... So much high end talent.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:42 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
2013 excites me, though. Barkov, MacKinnon, Jones... So much high end talent.
12 months ago, people were saying the same thing about 2012.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesed-off View Post
abcd
Yup, I'd take abcd first overall as well.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:34 AM
pouskin74*

with all honesty i just dont see any reason why ISS ranked Yakupov on second place! More than 2 points per game space and how important he is for team is even more clearly understandable when he was out! Sarnia lost more games than won. Personally i like Grigorenko more but no way he deserved this place ahead of Yakupov as it looks right now.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:35 AM
zorz

Quote:
or MacKinnon is the best prospect since Yakupov.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:24 AM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Kuh-Kook
No.
Kook-kook.
It's a name from the Netherland.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:25 AM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
with all honesty i just dont see any reason why ISS ranked Yakupov on second place! More than 2 points per game space and how important he is for team is even more clearly understandable when he was out! Sarnia lost more games than won. Personally i like Grigorenko more but no way he deserved this place ahead of Yakupov as it looks right now.
Yakupov is 1 year older than Grigorenko.
That makes a bit difference in the development stage.

Old
12-17-2011, 05:32 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Yakupov is 1 year older than Grigorenko.
That makes a bit difference in the development stage.
Yakupov was great last year as well with 101 points, so..

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:54 AM
OilerOlli*

Quote:
Yakupov was great last year as well with 101 points, so..
Yes, but what is the pace for Grigorenko this year?

Old
12-17-2011, 09:35 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
They explained it when they released their last rankings.

Something about Yakupov being a game breaker, but Grigorenko having the ability to slow the game down and make his linemates better.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:46 AM
feffan

Matteau, Matteau, Matteau!

Don´t really know why, but I find it funny Stéphane named his son Stefan.

feffan is offline   Reply With Quote