HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What really is our core/ needs

Old
12-13-2011, 10:58 PM
funky

vCash: 500
What really is our core/ needs

Who are your untouchables, who is our core in your mind

Kopitar - superstar in the making
Quick - already big game goalie at very young age
Richards - our true leader, true captian
Doughty - young stud, showing signs of life
Johnson - will continue to improve, plays with heart, great skills, still developing

Needs:

#1 - elite winger x2 - Parise fits
#2 - smarter more skilled Matt Greene - Gleason fits the build plan
#3 - 1 skilled, hardnosed 3rd line W - or drop Brown down

Need to move:

Greene - dumb, slow and adds no offensive dimension, penalties kill us
Stoll - UFA - shell of former self, high salary for bottom 6
Drewiske - kid will play, just not for us

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

I'm just glad you omitted Dustin Brown from the core. Carry on...

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:06 PM
tomd

Outside of your core only Brown and Bernier have any value. You might be able to package them both for someone like Parise but then you've just opened up another hole or two. No one else on the roster is worth more than a 2nd or 3rd.

And remember, amazingly the Kings are basically at the cap max so you've got to trade equal salary in any deal.

What a mess.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:07 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

#1 a talented sniper with speed.

#2 Matt Greene to remember how to play hockey again.

#3 The rest of our team to get back to playing the kind of hockey that they hae shown themselves to be more than capable of doing.

#4 Stop selling sushi at hockey games.

#5 Set realistic pricing for EVERYTHING at the Staples Center.

#6 Free Xanax for all King fans.

#7 Win the Cup this year.

If we can do half of these things or even only #7 I bet everything else would fall in place.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:16 PM
Haik

1) Give the "C" to Jack Johnson. I think the added responsibility will elevate his game.

2) Add some grit and nasty on our 3rd line

Core: Kopitar, Richards, Doughty, Johnson, Quick

Haik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

I wonder what the NEXT Five year plan "core" will look like ?

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:06 AM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik View Post
1) Give the "C" to Jack Johnson. I think the added responsibility will elevate his game.
I seriously hope you were being sarcastic lol

As much as I like JMFJ and I support the guy, he's not ready to assume the captain role. At the very moment, Richards has my vote but he needs to be on the team just a little bit longer before he assumes the role.

The A's should be: Kopi and Scuds or Mitchell.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:58 AM
jonrazor12
Palffy for President

Core players....

Kopitar (no brainer)
Richards (no brainer)
Brown (stop hating!!! He is good. People just expect too much. Its not like he make 6 mil/year.)
Clifford (Give him 2 years)
Doughty (no brainer)
Johnson (should be no brainer)
Voynov (in 2 years he will be a no brainer)
Quick/Bernier (JQ has the leg up today but JB might have the leg up tomorrow. Time will tell.)

Needs....

The rest of our players to step up now. Especially Greene, Stoll, Gagne, Williams, and Penner.
Loktionov to develop into a solid center to fill 3c.
Toffoli to fill top 6 winger roll.
Semin to LA this offseason for 4 years 22-25mil

jonrazor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings must sign Zach Parise during the summer. He is a player they can't let slip away as he is exactly the type of player this organization needs.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The Kings must sign Zach Parise during the summer. He is a player they can't let slip away as he is exactly the type of player this organization needs.
I better start setting myself up for disappointment- this is the LA KINGS!

not that I disagree with you either Ziggy.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
I better start setting myself up for disappointment- this is the LA KINGS!

not that I disagree with you either Ziggy.
Oh I completely agree. When there is a player that makes perfect sense for this team, they usually miss out on him. I can't remember how many times this has happened... going back to when the Kings were supposedly going to go after Brett Hull and Phil Housley to provide support for Wayne Gretzky during the mid 90's...

Old
12-14-2011, 01:22 AM
markisonfire

We have our top two centers. We have our top four defenseman. We have a solid goaltending tandem.

At the very least:

xxx - Kopitar - xxx
xxx - Richards - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
Voynov - xxx

Quick
Bernier

Doughty, Johnson, and Voynov are three excellent offensive, puck-moving defensemen. Mitchell and Scuderi are serviceable until Forbort and Muzzin are ready, I suppose. Either way, we have at least Doughty, Johnson, Mitchell, and Voynov.

Do we need an upgrade on the bottom six? Probably. I hate to say it, but Lewis and Richardson are slowly losing their place on this team. Is Stoll the right third line center? He hasn't really stepped up. Handzus and Simmonds were much better last year for us. Unfortunately, they are no longer with the Kings.

Does anyone think Lewis should be tried in a more offensive role? A line of Brown - Richards - Lewis has the potential to be pretty lethal, in my opinion. We could put Stoll on the first line, too, and see how that goes.

Gagne - Kopitar - Stoll
Brown - Richards - Lewis
Penner - Loktionov - Richardson
Clifford - Fraser - Westgarth

Johnson - Doughty
Mitchell - Voynov
Martinez - Scuderi

Quick
Bernier

I also think that Loktionov will soon find himself with a different organization. Unless he can shift to wing, I'm not buying him as our third line center long-term.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Solid, established, bottom 6 depth with size and grit.

More talented wingers.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:35 AM
DaAnimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
We have our top two centers. We have our top four defenseman. We have a solid goaltending tandem.

At the very least:

xxx - Kopitar - xxx
xxx - Richards - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx
xxx - xxx - xxx

Mitchell - Doughty
Johnson - Scuderi
Voynov - xxx

Quick
Bernier

Doughty, Johnson, and Voynov are three excellent offensive, puck-moving defensemen. Mitchell and Scuderi are serviceable until Forbort and Muzzin are ready, I suppose. Either way, we have at least Doughty, Johnson, Mitchell, and Voynov.

Do we need an upgrade on the bottom six? Probably. I hate to say it, but Lewis and Richardson are slowly losing their place on this team. Is Stoll the right third line center? He hasn't really stepped up. Handzus and Simmonds were much better last year for us. Unfortunately, they are no longer with the Kings.

Does anyone think Lewis should be tried in a more offensive role? A line of Brown - Richards - Lewis has the potential to be pretty lethal, in my opinion. We could put Stoll on the first line, too, and see how that goes.

Gagne - Kopitar - Stoll
Brown - Richards - Lewis
Penner - Loktionov - Richardson
Clifford - Fraser - Westgarth

Johnson - Doughty
Mitchell - Voynov
Martinez - Scuderi

Quick
Bernier

I also think that Loktionov will soon find himself with a different organization. Unless he can shift to wing, I'm not buying him as our third line center long-term.
good point. I always wanted to see if he was capable of being in the top 6 with the richards line.

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 02:39 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Who are your untouchables, who is our core in your mind

Kopitar - superstar in the making
Quick - already big game goalie at very young age
Richards - our true leader, true captian
Doughty - young stud, showing signs of life
Johnson - will continue to improve, plays with heart, great skills, still developing

Needs:

#1 - elite winger x2 - Parise fits
#2 - smarter more skilled Matt Greene - Gleason fits the build plan
#3 - 1 skilled, hardnosed 3rd line W - or drop Brown down

Need to move:

Greene - dumb, slow and adds no offensive dimension, penalties kill us
Stoll - UFA - shell of former self, high salary for bottom 6
Drewiske - kid will play, just not for us
I pretty much agree with everything you said. If things don't turn around pretty quickly, I believe trading Brown might just be the rude awakening this team might need. He's obviously not getting it done from a leadership point of view, his production is down, the effort isn't there, and he could bring a nice return. At the very least I believe that "C" needs to come off.

On a side note this team needs to start drafting some damn skill players and I'm not talking about ones who are 5'6" either. Who do we have to kill to get a winger drafted early? I'm still pissed we passed on Etem

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Markisonfire is on the mark with his assessment. Now the Kings aren't going to have a mass overhaul of their roster, but I think you'll see a few changes as a result of the Kings having so many expiring contracts coming off the books.

-Priority #1: Pursue Zach Parise
With Penner set to depart as a UFA, this is LA's opportunity to add the highly coveted sniper that they have been looking for the past few seasons.

-Priority #2: The Bottom Six
The Kings need to be tougher as a team and they also have to get some scoring support from their bottom six forwards. They need to shore up the third line with an improvement at C and a forward who has some bite to his game.

My wishlist for bottom six forwards will include the following names, in no specific order:
Jochen Hecht (C)
Travis Moen (W)
Brandon Prust (C/W)
Paul Gaustad (C)
Chris Kelly (C/W)
David Moss (W)
Jordin Tootoo (W)
Adam Burish (C/W)
Dominic Moore (C)
Greg Campbell (C/W)
Taylor Pyatt (W)
Dan Carcillo (W)
Frans Nielsen (C)

The Kings will have four vacancies open to fill in their bottom six, including a depth forward (which was a position previously held by Ethan Moreau). Bottom six forwards under contract for next season include Brad Richardson, Kyle Clifford, Trevor Lewis, and Kevin Westgarth. I do not categorize Andrei Loktionov as a bottom six forward and would not force him into the #3 C spot.

Internally, I would consider Jordan Nolan, Dwight King and Marc-Andre Cliche as potential candidates to win a spot on the roster in a bottom six position.

-Priority #3: Re-sign Willie Mitchell/Sign Tim Gleason
He is one of the most dependable players on the roster and a steadying presence on the blueline. They need Mitchell back. If for some reason Mitchell decides to pursue other opportunities, then I would shift my focus onto Tim Gleason.

The shortlist of defensemen to consider as a 'Plan B' in case they fail to reach an agreement with Mitchell or fail to sign Gleason:
Josh Gorges
Hal Gill
Scott Hannan
Bryan Allen
Aaron Rome
Greg Zanon

A sample of what my lineup would look like based on my wishlist:
Parise-Kopitar-Brown
Gagne-Richards-Williams
Richardson-Gaustad-Tootoo
Clifford-Kelly-Lewis

Johnson-Doughty
Mitchell-Voynov
Scuderi-Greene

Quick-Bernier

Scratches: Nolan, Westgarth, Martinez

EDIT: One more thing to add. If there is any trade to pursue, I'd go hard after Jarome Iginla. Calgary needs a goalie for the future. Feaster had to trade a superstar forward in the past when he was GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning and moved Brad Richards (along with goalie Johan Holmqvist) to Dallas for Jussi Jokinen, Mike Smith, Jeff Halpern, and a 4th round pick.

I'd offer Jonathan Bernier along with Justin Williams and Calgary's choice of any one defenseman from Alec Martinez, Thomas Hickey, or Derek Forbort for Jarome Iginla.

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 12-14-2011 at 03:53 AM.
Old
12-14-2011, 05:26 AM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Jarome Iginla.
There is our Captain!

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 05:41 AM
SuperAlmeida

None of you believe that Toffoli will make the team next season?

SuperAlmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 08:18 AM
KingsFan7824

The players on this team need to earn their leader/core/untouchable status again. No more assumptions with these guys.

And please, we shouldn't even start with the Parise stuff. It's not going to happen. With or without Lombardi.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Whiskeypete

some 'outside of the box' ideas, but moving forward this team is going to go through some type/degree of house cleaning and gut check. especially when/if DL is removed. a new GM will inevitably do some cleaning and it's going shake up the club.

some moves/trades are completely related to others. that's the point of drafting for depth, so you can make moves to fill gaps. the traffic jam that they have on D and in net (which is only going to get worse), it's time to make some moves in 'the back' to help up front.

Core-Solid
Kopi, Richards, DD, JJ, Quick, Bernier

-DD needs to get his **** together asap. he has looked mediocre to horrendous all season. im in the GM seat and within the next two years he hasn't returned to form, i would be listening to offers. LA has options on the blueline and to sit on a $7M contract waiting for 'potential' is ridiculous. at that point he will have 5-years under his belt, listen to offers and let him be someone else's 'generational talent' while getting something of value.
-JJ same thing here, but to a lesser extent. seeing a very good step forward this year in talent/ability and results. still has to improve on D zone coverage, but is showing good improvement.
-JQ and JB. no need to do anything here realistically until next season, when contracts are up. listen to offers from now until then, but don't make a move for the sake of just doing it. a move with either of them HAS to net the Kings a significant return, especially JQ if he is moved. JB needs more starts to set his true value and also for LA to assess which one they will keep. to trade JQ without really playing JB and knowing what they are getting is foolhardy. i don't favor either guy right now, but LA has to thoroughly determine just how good JB is. by not doing so is just stupid, this is one of the failings of the Murray tenure.

Core-Fringe
Brown, Clifford, VV, Loktionov, Scuderi, Mitchell

these players are all tradeable, but only if a direct replacement is in on the roster, in MAN or coming via trade.

-DB, this guy is loved/hated. almost seems to be no middle ground for him, which sucks because i think it puts to much on his shoulders. personally i think giving him the C was the worse thing the organization did to him. to much pressure on a young guy that was (and is still imo) maturing mentally and physically. he is a stand-up and personable guy, but also well documented of being a bit of an introvert and soft spoken.

i would keep him in the core-solid group, but move him down here for one simple reason. he is one of the few assets the team has that will give them a good return on value. if he stays with LA then there are a few things to help him that i would love to see happen. if he remains the C, then the guys wearing the A need to step up and help him more than they do. they either need to also step up and help him, or my personal preference. i would love to see him relinquish it to MR and become a asst captain. take the weight off his shoulders, but still be the quiet leader he is.

the reports/rumors of the team missing Smyth in the locker room to me spells out that he was a big emotional component of the team dynamic. one that meant DB could turn to, since he doesn't seem comfortable in that role. the last couple of weeks in interviews is the most emotional and dynamic i recall seeing DB, perhaps he is stepping more into this role.

i think if DB were to let MR take the role of the C and be the emotional leader will help himself and the team all around. the 10+ games before MR's injury, you started to really see him leading. before this he seemed to be just be an observer, which is the right thing to do being new to the team. as time has passed though you can see he has fit into the team and understands the dynamics.

-Clifford....the big red dog, needs to either sit some games or go down to MAN. the kid right now seems lost and needs to find his game. would love for LA to keep him for the #3/4 LW role, but he will return a good asset for the team. he has good potential when he is on a line with a big commanding center to feed him. the loss of Zus has seriously handcuffed him all season. aside from this he needs to work on his footwork and body positioning. he isnt getting separation out of the corners plain and simple. last year this was happening because of Zus plain and simple. this year he has had to do more work down low and out of the corners himself. his footwork and skating need improvement to help get the separation he needs. at the same time he needs to use his big body more to his advantage. he's letting the opposing D get inside of him, or worse straight up on him. i want to see some more aggression by him, that will back guys off.

-Scuderi. only tradeable if it nets a good return, but i would keep and re-sign him. strong stay at home, damn good leader and vet presence. nothing wrong with Scuds what so ever.

-Mitchell. same as Scuds. if need be this summer give him the 3-year contract if needed to retain him, even if it means eating a year of it down the road. don't make the mistake they made with Zus here by not re-signing him. WM and Scuds are the heart of that D when it comes to leadership and learning by example.

-VV. with him you have a decision and it involves DD and JJ also. VV's emergence gives the Kings some serious options here. as much as AMart gave them options, VV gives them that much more. if DD and JJ still are struggling in 1-2 years, do you trade one knowing that VV will step into those shoes? the reverse also holds true if DD and JJ are all-star form, then you have a great asst in VV that can net a terrific return.

-Lokti. keep the kid and let him mature further, but tradeable for the right reason. starting i think to show what the team wants of him. his presence, decision making, puck possession is getting better each game. i think he is finally getting more comfortable with the speed of the NHL, which is why there are finally glimpses of what we want. still a work in progress, still needs to work in his forecheck/backcheck, needs to work on his feet. the kid tends to glide to much and not keep his feet moving. still needs to bulk up and improve his strength, getting knocked off the puck to easily.

Moveable
everyone else

-the most likely culprits Greene, Stoll, Penner and JW
-i love and respect the role Greene plays, but if LA can upgrade to Gleason i am all for it.
-Stoll, seriously. $3.6M for this? he should become a backup QB in the NFL, because i thought only those guys make that type of money for this type of return on investment.
-JW...last year he was going to be the best available UFA RW and signing him was the right move. at the same time the guy is killing me. it's not so much being snake bitten on goals. it's the constant turnovers he's making. less stick handling and more shooting from him and i think this will change his game. the guy has some skill when it comes to being a dangler, but not to the extent he thinks he is.
-Penner....enough said. will go down as one of the worse trades in Kings history
-AMart is now tradeable due to VV and vice-versa. depending on what the return is one of these guys needs to be moved to help up front right away.
-DD44 this should have been done last season to help up front. now with VV, AMart and DD44 there is NO reason for him to still be with the team. again help up front

Draft picks
-LA cannot afford to trade anymore 1st and 2nd round picks for a few years. the first two rounds are your meat & potatotes. the 3rd round + picks are just gravy. meaning the guys you pick in the first two rounds will be your future. the guys in the later rounds if they make are a bonus. there is serious drop off in percentages for guys making it in the NHL if they are picked in the 3rd+ round

Parise
-balls to the wall to get the guy. no falling short on this one. where this team is when it comes to age, contracts, etc....he is the PERFECT fit. personally i wouldn't be surprised to see AEG let DL go if he is unable to sign Parise. goes back to his success rate with signing FA's plain and simple

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Bandit

Balls. You think I'm probably just being cute, that I mean tennis balls, or yoga balls. Nope, I mean testicles.

Outside of Richards, this team has no marbles and it shows big time.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Exactly. 40 goal US Born player at the age of 27 and was big on the Olympic Stage.

Drop Penner, 4.5 and Stoll, 3.5 and you already have enough for Parise...that's not even including Fraser, Moreau, Hunter, Mitchell all coming off the books, but I like Mitchell.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Exactly. 40 goal US Born player at the age of 27 and was big on the Olympic Stage.

Drop Penner, 4.5 and Stoll, 3.5 and you already have enough for Parise...that's not even including Fraser, Moreau, Hunter, Mitchell all coming off the books, but I like Mitchell.
When are we gonna stop with this? Who was the last big name free agent to sign with ANY west coast team? It's not happening and it's never going to happen. The sooner we accept this the better. Seriously.

Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
When are we gonna stop with this? Who was the last big name free agent to sign with ANY west coast team? It's not happening and it's never going to happen. The sooner we accept this the better. Seriously.
Does Parise have a brother that we can sign to an NHL contract?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2011, 12:52 PM
misch13vousmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
None of you believe that Toffoli will make the team next season?
Not if DL is around. You know he wants everyone, well, almost everyone to serve time in the minors.

misch13vousmike is offline   Reply With Quote