HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Article: Pros and Cons on salary cap

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2004, 08:56 AM
Yanner39

vCash: 500
Article: Pros and Cons on salary cap

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...80&hubName=nhl

Pretty good article.

I don't know if I buy this big market vs small market concept though.

I mean, Green Bay is the smallest of all small markets and it still competes under a cap system. Personally, I think you can't have a salary cap without unguaranteed contracts. Again, you hire a player who underperforms, you can't get rid of him. A few years back, I had a job interview to become controller of a consulting firm. I played hardball when negotiating my salary and we eventually settle somewhere in the middle, which was still alot more than what the boss wanted to pay. Well if I didn't live up to my billing, I would have been let go after 3 months. Again, NHL is not the same as the real world, but one player plays a season over his head and is rewarded for that season for the next three years. I remember Sather giving Arnott a contract for not what he has done, but what they expect him to do. Arnott was traded not to long after.

One thing I do agree is that a salary cap would reward bad businessmen.

Old
09-25-2004, 10:38 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
what gets me--is how little shared revenue is seriously considered!!!! read the Levitt report--that is why I can not take anyones side---the players want as much money as theyc an get--and the owners do not want to have all aspects of where they get their money looked at--I find the whole hting a joke

Old
09-25-2004, 11:05 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
I don't know if I buy this big market vs small market concept though.

I mean, Green Bay is the smallest of all small markets and it still competes under a cap system. Personally, I think you can't have a salary cap without unguaranteed contracts... Again, you hire a player who underperforms, you can't get rid of him.

One thing I do agree is that a salary cap would reward bad businessmen.
The NFL had revenue sharing 30 years before it had a salary cap. Revenue sharing is how they have achieved parity, it's how small market teams are able to compete. If the Oilers want a level playing they, and their fans, should loudly demand meaningful revenue sharing as part of the new CBA.

The NFL may not guarantee contracts but they do have this clause
Quote:
Subject to the provisions of Article XX (Franchise and Transition Players), any player with five or more Accrued Seasons, or with four or more Accrued Seasons in any Capped Year, shall, at the expiration of his Player Contract, become an Unrestricted Free Agent. Such player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, subject to the signing period set forth below.
In the world of give and take I can see players trading non-guaranteed contracts for free agency changes. Imagine, Hemsky a free agent at age 24?

Closed Thread