HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Pucks top 50 prospects project.

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2004, 10:19 AM
The Pucks

vCash: 500
The Pucks top 50 prospects project.

Back for a 3rd season. For those of you who are not familiar with the project, it is a group effort that I head up to make an impartial list of the “perceived” top 50 prospects in the NHL today. I ask approximately 20 respected posters to submit their list of the top 50 prospects in their opinion to me, and I rank them in order. Every player who gets 1st place on the list gets 50 points, 2nd gets 49 and so on. I do not submit a list of my own.

But I have a quandary. Usually we do the project during the 1st week of training camp when everybody gets lots of news and hype. This year for some reason unknown to me, we have not had a camp. (sarcasm) Would guys be interested in carrying on as is, or would it be better to wait for the NHL to get their crap together and get the season started?

I would appreciate all those who have had previous involvement to get ahold of me in the next few days and we can go from there.

Old
09-25-2004, 10:36 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Just go and do it, I don't like when hype clouds the mind...thats why I like to release my thoughts before THN draft preview comes out. Training Camp hype can get to you, and make rash decisions.

Old
09-25-2004, 10:45 AM
The Pucks

The flip side is the start of camp is when the most information is published about all prospects. If this is done to close to the draft, recently drafted players get overrated, into the season, young players who have had good starts to junior seasons get overrated.

Either way, the last 2 season I started around sept 15, so a bit late this year, but not much.

Old
09-25-2004, 10:48 AM
Vlad The Impaler

I'll email you about this. I'm willing to participate once again, if you'll have me

But I have an important reservation. last year, after about a month I think, the thread with the top 50 just disappeared. What exactly haappened? Did you get an explanation?

Because if we're going to do all this, it's not worth it unless it stays.

To my knowledge, your project was not breaking any HF rules. I also know it was not due to a database purge since older threads were still there unless I am mistaken.

Your best bet might be to contact HF and know what the deal is. Unless you already did this

Old
09-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks
Back for a 3rd season. For those of you who are not familiar with the project, it is a group effort that I head up to make an impartial list of the “perceived” top 50 prospects in the NHL today. I ask approximately 20 respected posters to submit their list of the top 50 prospects in their opinion to me, and I rank them in order. Every player who gets 1st place on the list gets 50 points, 2nd gets 49 and so on. I do not submit a list of my own.

But I have a quandary. Usually we do the project during the 1st week of training camp when everybody gets lots of news and hype. This year for some reason unknown to me, we have not had a camp. (sarcasm) Would guys be interested in carrying on as is, or would it be better to wait for the NHL to get their crap together and get the season started?

I would appreciate all those who have had previous involvement to get ahold of me in the next few days and we can go from there.
Two guys that HAVE to be involved in the project are X-Sharkie and Edge, from the Rangers board. Both are very knowledgeable on prospects, and would make this project a great one.

Old
09-25-2004, 09:11 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Two guys that HAVE to be involved in the project are X-Sharkie and Edge, from the Rangers board. Both are very knowledgeable on prospects, and would make this project a great one.
Since this is a group effort and is the overall compilation of a bunch of lists, one person, no matter how knowledgeable they are, will not make much of an impact on the final list.

Old
09-25-2004, 09:55 PM
Puckhead

Pucks, I think that you should choose the 20 based on threads and posts that you have read. People who have made you think or get their points across. Put your list of 20 guys/gals together and post it. You are well respected in these forums and I'm sure no-one would you were wrong to do this. Best of luck.

Old
09-26-2004, 08:56 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I would carry on this project. NHL training camps would only count for a small percentage of my overall decision. I base my list on a mix of top end potential, role as a player, and likelihood of making an impact on the organization. Yes it would be nice to see some europeans and CHL players at camp verses a stronger compitition but this should only make the lists that much more unique.

I would be more then happy to continue this project with or without camps this year. Just send a PM or email and I'm game.

Old
09-26-2004, 10:38 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I would carry on this project. NHL training camps would only count for a small percentage of my overall decision. I base my list on a mix of top end potential, role as a player, and likelihood of making an impact on the organization. Yes it would be nice to see some europeans and CHL players at camp verses a stronger compitition but this should only make the lists that much more unique.

I would be more then happy to continue this project with or without camps this year. Just send a PM or email and I'm game.
Yay, Parise #1.

Old
09-26-2004, 10:43 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I did this two years ago but not last year. Wouldn't mind doing it again.

Old
09-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Captain Conservative

Two more names to get a list from are Jay and moosefan.

Old
09-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
Yay, Parise #1.
I think I had the least amount of devils picked in the past two lists so shuve it.

Old
09-27-2004, 09:24 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
I think I had the least amount of devils picked in the past two lists so shuve it.
Just kidding Jason, my little joke

Old
09-28-2004, 01:24 PM
Captain Conservative

Buuuuuuuuuuump

Whats the status fellas?

Old
09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks

Dion Phaneuf would be my first choice. I think he is going to be a great one

Old
09-28-2004, 04:12 PM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Dion Phaneuf would be my first choice. I think he is going to be a great one
No way would I take him over Kari Lehtonen or Alexander Ovechkin, mabey Evgeni Malkin and Nikolai Zherdev.

Old
09-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-SHARKIE
No way would I take him over Kari Lehtonen or Alexander Ovechkin, mabey Evgeni Malkin and Nikolai Zherdev.
Just talent alone I would but Dion has the Scott Stevens type intangibles that the other two don't.

Old
10-01-2004, 08:54 AM
The Pucks

Sorry, had a very hectic week, things finally starting to slow down.

I received a fair amout of private messages from previous submitors, and all will be invited back. This weekend I will send out private messages and emails inviting all previous guys back in the fold, see how many returnees we have and go from there.

Looks like we will go ahead early next week.

Old
10-02-2004, 03:11 PM
Hyped

Unfortunately, I'll have to opt out this year. I'm working full-time and back at school full-time working on my 2nd degree. Add in my hockey playing (we've got a sweet addition or two to our team this year because of the lock-out so I don't want to miss the opportunity to lace up this year), partying, and going to Road Runner games time and there isn't even much time for sleep, yet to rank prospects. Sorry, Pucks!

Old
10-02-2004, 11:15 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
But I have an important reservation. last year, after about a month I think, the thread with the top 50 just disappeared. What exactly haappened? Did you get an explanation?

Because if we're going to do all this, it's not worth it unless it stays.

To my knowledge, your project was not breaking any HF rules. I also know it was not due to a database purge since older threads were still there unless I am mistaken.

Your best bet might be to contact HF and know what the deal is. Unless you already did this
Isn't anybody going to respond to this?

Old
10-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm in again if you want.

Closed Thread