HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thank you Leafs!

Old
12-16-2011, 10:00 PM
littletonhockeycoach

vCash: 500
Hey all, here in FL with family on vacation and caught part of the game on TV in the hotel bar with some other Sabre fans. Saw most of the 2nd, Esp. pumped by Kassian's steal and feed to Vanek.

Thought we had a good lead at the end of 2 and into the 3rd. Had to leave and heard it was a wild finish. Worried that this team just never seems to get it.

Interesting to chat with other Sabre fans (who I don't know from Adam). Agreement from all that GRAGS has got to go, Kass has got to stay and McNabb has lots of potential. Everyone likes Adam too.

Didn't see Kassian bet boarded. Assume he's OK?

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Rhett4
Buffalo Selects Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanicItsVanek26 View Post
2nd period not sure of time. Early in though.
Thanks, good sir. I can't wait to check out his handiwork.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:04 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Must have missed the dive on Kessel there (and the one a few plays later too). Or the knee-on-knee on Vanek.

Wouldn't have gone to OT.
Yea, I caught the knee on knee on Vanek, and I haven't seen 1 Leafs fan dare mention it, but boy do they ***** about the cross checking call.

static80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:04 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
Went out to a long dinner and had to miss the game tonight. (Boo.) Can anyone point me to the period and approximate time of the McNabb hit? I'm going to run through my DVR to check out the highlights.
2nd period at 9:42.

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:06 PM
wyldthing89

I love the way Kassian play along the board, lets hope he will continue playing this way, he made a great play on Vanek's goal. I was afraid that the injury list increase with the dumb hit from Phaneuf.

Vanek was a beast tonight, Ennis and Stafford scoring help too and if they can do that regularely , we won't have only top line duo in the scoresheet days after days.

And for the last faceoff, Connolly was the best Leaf at the dot and also last time i checked faceoff stats, Timmah was in top 5 at home so maybe they thought he would feel at home tonight too.

Was an entertaining game from start to finish, that's funny we had to wait until mid december to play our best rivals !!!!

We needed that win, especially at home where we used to suck !!! Would just be happy to see Timmy score for the Leafs in a lost since he was my favorite Sabres.

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:08 PM
wyldthing89

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
Yea, I caught the knee on knee on Vanek, and I haven't seen 1 Leafs fan dare mention it, but boy do they ***** about the cross checking call.
There was no knee of knee on that at all, just a good hip check !!!

wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:14 PM
ottsabrefan

Good
- Miller made the saves when he had to - looking more like his old self everyday now
- Kassian - he made the play that turned this game around - they can't send him back down (this feels like Myers 2 years ago)
- Gaustad - won that last draw to win it
- Vanek - 2 goals, how can you complain
- McCormick/Ellis - I thought they were smart and in the play. That Ellis penalty draw started the four straight PPs - when he was exhausted.
- Gragnani - well not great, I thought this was one of his better games
- McNabb - great hit. Helped turn the game.
- Sekera - for just shooting the puck on net (and scoring)
- Ennis/Stafford - PP goals, finally
- Roy - the assist at the end and three blocked shots on a key shift in the second. Could have been stronger on the puck in the 1st.
Weber - solid. Imagine if he was in the lineup to start the season.

Bad
- Leopold didn't look good to me
- Erhoff - It seemed I was always yelling at the TV at him
- Reghyr - didn't have a great game by his standards
- penalty shot call after he got off a great shot
- nearly blowing a 2-goal lead AGAIN!

Ugly
- Nothing ugly about beating the Leafs

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Yeah I don't know what knee on knee is being referred to. I'm really hoping it wasn't the Liles hip check late in the 3rd, that was just a great hit.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Goose08

good:
TC didn't score.

Thought he looked a little dangerous in the 1st, but reverted to his old invisible self by the 3rd.

Goose08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:35 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
I thought Rej was really solid, even though he seemed to be fighting it at times, its like his eyes, brain & hands know what he wants to do, but his body gets this instant glimpse of derp before recovering...theres gotta be a pill for that.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Ted Black

G: Ennis shooting more. He looked a lot better overall.
Vanek kicking ass again
Lots of others mentioned already.

Regher made his first mistake of the year, give the guy a break.
I don't know the exact rules, but I agree with the penalty shot call.
If I was a Leafs fan, I'd be pissed about that last faceoff.. delay of game?

I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but I like to try to keep myself honest as a fan.
Package up Roy and Grags for something. Ugh. I can't stand the soft players anymore. Love that we have McNabb, Kass and other big boys on their way.

Fun game to watch, scary ending.

The D needs to skate the puck out their own zone. It's almost like they HAVE to pass the darn thing. Carry it once in a while and get/keep some forward momentuem jeepers!!!!

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:58 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Ehrhoff negating the hand pass was one of the headiest plays I've ever seen. Did it not lead to the Kassian boarding? Regardless, I was baffled by that. Such a heads up play knowing we were up a man and Toronto would've gladly let time run as long as possible.

Good win. Ennis 5 in 7, Stafford 5 in 5?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Officially, getting the shot off is not a pre-req to deny a PS.
Thank you, Chain!

I have no idea why people are insisting it was a bad call.

Otherwise, players would just be falling without even trying to shoot.
Kulemin tried his best, got obviously tripped which impeded with his shooting and shouldn't be punished for not giving up on the play.

AAAAAAAAAAAaaanway........

Everything's been said, I'll just say that Kassian and Weber were absolutely great all night.

Weber's best game in about 8 months.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:57 AM
LFDM

Just watched the game, wooooooooow that was super-exciting...

Only some thoughts:
Kassian needs to stay. I love him. What a big chunk of meat haha.
I thought Gragnani looked decent most of the time...
Ehrhoff was brilliant.
Gaustad makes me furious. It's not his fault, but he's just not good enough to play on the third line, which makes his contract an overpayment. Of course, his last faceoff was fun to watch... But that's about it. He has no offense at all. If we have to rely on him to play on the third line it's a bad sign. Damn injuries...
Vanek's goals were so freakin' funny. Effortless again on those two shots. Goalies look like complete fools against him haha

Oh and I didn't know the exact wording for calling penalty shots (thanks to Chain for the help!), but I think it's just logical to give Kulemin that oppurtunity. He got his shot away - with his feet up high in the air after the trip... I have no problem with that call at all.

LFDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Miguel1

Didn't see the game, what happened with McNabb only getting 6:48 if he was so good???

Miguel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Good game guys. It was an exciting one, that's for sure.

8 min PP FTW! I cannot understand what the Leafs were thinking with all those penalties.

Kassian is awesome.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:30 AM
cardiffgiant
Movin' on up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel1 View Post
Didn't see the game, what happened with McNabb only getting 6:48 if he was so good???
Roughly 10 minutes of consecutive PP to end the 2nd and start the 3rd, then Ruff went with the top 2 pairs to finish out the game.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:42 AM
Squantosawuss

It's rare that you see a team work THAT hard to hand the game to an opponent. NICE JOB, LEAFS!

I haven't seen such a penalty-laden meltdown like we saw in the latter part of the 2nd in...I-don't-know-how-long. Seems to me that if you have such a horrendous PK, you'd be a little better at avoiding foolish penalties. But that's just me.

STILL...the final was 5-4. WTF Milsie???

And that penalty shot was a good call. Don't know what game some were watching, but in the game I saw, his shot was weak due to the trip. Didn't think it was that great a save for Miller because the puck hardly had anything on it.

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 12-17-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:46 AM
CrankyJay

What an awesome game to be at. The back and forth ribbing was spectacular.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:51 AM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
Love the Leafs/Leaves style of play. Looking forward to all of these games.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:04 AM
gallagt01

Ennis has been very good since returning from injury. His hands are so slick. He's been buzzing like crazy.

Miller used to be dynamic on breakaways/shootouts/penalty shots. It seems that (even as early as last year) he's lost his mojo in that area of the game.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:10 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Ugly: People who don't know the rules on a penalty shot. The fact that a shot was taken doesn't mean anything.

The play was the textbook example of when a penalty shot should be called, and it's not even close.

Quote:
24.8 Infractions – Refer to the Reference Tables – Table 13 – Summary of Penalty Shots for a list of the infractions that shall result in a penalty shot being awarded (see specific rule numbers for complete descriptions).
There are four (4) specific conditions that must be met in order for the Referee to award a penalty shot for a player being fouled from behind. They are:
(i) The infraction must have taken place in the neutral zone or attacking zone, (i.e. over the puck carrier’s own blue line);
(ii) The infraction must have been committed from behind;
(iii) The player in possession and control (or, in the judgment of the Referee, clearly would have obtained possession and control of the puck) must have been denied a reasonable chance to score (the fact that he got a shot off does not automatically eliminate this play from the penalty shot consideration criteria. If the foul was from behind and he was denied a “more” reasonable scoring opportunity due to the foul, then the penalty shot should be awarded);
(iv) The player in possession and control (or, in the judgment of the Referee, clearly would have obtained possession and control of the puck) must have had no opposing player between himself and the goalkeeper.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:18 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

I'd like to see a BZK - Adam - Gerbe line, when the Gerbster is back.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
Ugly: People who don't know the rules on a penalty shot. The fact that a shot was taken doesn't mean anything.

The play was the textbook example of when a penalty shot should be called, and it's not even close.
It is close. How much better of a shot could he have gotten ? Miller made a hell of a save.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:35 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post

Some need to get of their high horse on this. Its applied in a subjective way and is hardly as cut and dry as you and others are trying to make it seem.

Having watched Vanek get denied multiple times over the years in similar situations and getting no penalty shot. Its not surprising many don't understand the rule. At times one wonders how well the refs do.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote