HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Study suggests canadians would support fighting ban

Old
12-19-2011, 11:44 AM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
I don't know which premise is funnier: guys must vent their frustration through fight or fighting isn't dangerous.
We'll see whats funnier when these players start using their 6 feet long pieces of lumber in their hands to vent that frustration.

There was actually a study posted about fighting by a doctor this season that basically said there was barely any way to produce force with a punch on the ice and also that out of all the fights in hockey last year, there were barely any injuries because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Good post but I just had to throw a minor correction on this sentence. Fighting is allowed in some(maybe all?) American juniors. USHL and NAHL definitely allow fighting.
Fighting is allowed in pretty much all Canadian hockey. In junior C you just get kicked out for the rest of the game, minor hockey is a 1 game suspension (not much at all) etc.

I would like people to point out all these instances of people getting hurt in fights that make it need to be out of the game?

newfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:36 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Saying that the people who want fights are vampires ( or are somehow motivated by financial incentives) is equivalent to saying that all of the people who don't want fights are figure skating loving girly-men. Neither is true and everyone knows it.
no...its the same as, if you dont like the fighting, watch another sport. i believe you posted exactly that already.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
We'll see whats funnier when these players start using their 6 feet long pieces of lumber in their hands to vent that frustration.
It might be well known but I just recently saw the " found footage" of Bernie Geoffrion and Ron Murphy from MSG in 1953. Yikes ! I though the Perezhogin swing was bad, it looked like a love tap in comparison. Even the kids in the Turkish hockey brawl would look at it and say " man, that just is not right".

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
There was actually a study posted about fighting by a doctor this season that basically said there was barely any way to produce force with a punch on the ice and also that out of all the fights in hockey last year, there were barely any injuries because of it.
and you believe that? no force?

Old
12-19-2011, 01:01 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
no...its the same as, if you dont like the fighting, watch another sport. i believe you posted exactly that already.
I also posted that you have to make the personal decision of whether your aversion to fighting is sufficient to get you to watch second rate talent level leagues that don't have fighting. There are many leagues that don't have fights that you could support.

Whenever you became a fan of the NHL you became a fan of a league that has fights. Feigning surprise now that the NHL has fights is a little disingenuous. Acting like the league has a responsibility to change to game to make it more palatable to you, irrespective of the wishes of the majority of fans and players requires a near pathological level of a sense of entitlement. If this is how you want to be perceived, be my guest.

And in the last post, I said that there are reasoned arguments to support a reduction of fighting. But right now this position is in the extreme minority, especially among the people who would face the consequences. Misrepresenting this or pulling out made-up stats about how injurious fighting is that you refuse to support or retract is intellectually dishonest.

sandysan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:32 AM
txpd

the only study/research that i responded to was the ridiculous claim that men are not capable of generating damaging force on skates on ice.

also, i have said that i am more against the weak rational for fighting than i am on the fighting. fighting doesnt deter. removing the instigator will require more fighting and will no effect the amount of dirty play in the leauge. the pre instigator nhl had more dirty play in it than the post instigator. stick fighting/stick blows will not increase if fighting is eliminated.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:43 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'd be really disappointed to see an outright ban on fighting. There are a lot of options in the toolbox to reduce fighting and make it safer, without having to go all the way to an NBA-style standard.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:56 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
fighting is a minor issue. thats really the point. do you enjoy the playoffs less than the regular season because there is far less fighting? do you take your own advice and turn the hockey off for some UFC or MMA come playoffs?
The issue is if fighting is banned it would only be a matter of time before mma is banned.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'd be really disappointed to see an outright ban on fighting. There are a lot of options in the toolbox to reduce fighting and make it safer, without having to go all the way to an NBA-style standard.
the problem with fighting is that to allow it for standing up for a teammate or for emotional escalation, you open the door to also allow it for any other reason.

i can deal with a player suffering a season ending or career altering concussion in a fight while standing up for a teammate or being challenged because of an extremely dirty play.

the idea that a player would suffer that injury because a coach thinks his team needs a spark to get some momentum in a regular season game they are losing seems like such a waste.

the way things are now to allow the right fight you must allow the other fight. in today's hockey there are 10 tactical/strategic fights for every one of the necessary fights.