Notices

Time to End the Robidas Era

Old
12-16-2011, 10:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Time to End the Robidas Era

He was a nice story who had an improbable run of improvement comparatively late in his career, but his downhill slope is now in full effect and it ain't pretty. If there's anyone on the team whose perception around the league far outstrips his actual current contribution, it's Robidas. Can Joe still turn that into useful assets for the future?

Also feel free to talk about the causes of his decline. Is it just age catching up with him? Not playing with Grossman? Being given too much responsibility?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Should've been traded two years ago.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:27 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Concur, I've wanted this for a LONG time. He's been mediocre for a while.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:28 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Hrs the dumbest d man I've ever seen. His zone coverage is non-existent. He is the absolute epitome of chasing the puck and getting caught fishing.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Captain Awesome

I think it's both age and way too much responsibility. If playing with Grossman is what works, then put him with Grossman until he can get shipped the hell out. I believe that GM Joe has what it takes to pull the trigger, I'm just not sure what he'll do it for. This is absolutely the time to trade Robi and I'm positive he'll have some value at the deadline no matter how badly he performs from here to then.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Troy McClure

As bad as he's been, Gully does him no favors. Robidas is #2 in PP ice time per game for the d. Those are wasted minutes. He brings nothing to the PP, yet Gully insists on putting him out there.

On the PK, Robidas is #1 in ice time per game. He's right behind Goligoski for even strength ice time.

That all adds up to him playing almost 23 minutes a game. It's way too much for him. Gully is over exposing Robidas.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Necessary, but it still sucks.

Robi used to be a tank, hitting everything that moved, getting banged up but never missing serious time, and being our go-to guy defensively when our blueline was looking its' worst.

Obviously there's been a steady decline in his play over the years, and it just can't be ignored now.

I would imagine Joe has noticed this, and is at least toying with the idea of contacting Robi's agent, or shopping him around.

12-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Gully is over exposing Robidas.
Have a feeling Nieuwendyk is a big part of that as well.

Old
12-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Have a feeling Nieuwendyk is a big part of that as well.
Agreed. This is the second GM and third coach to consider Robidas the best d-man to ever play the game.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:56 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Agreed. This is the second GM and third coach to consider Robidas the best d-man to ever play the game.
Yep. I really don't get how so many people, GM's and coaches included, see him as some wonderful D-man. He hasn't been good in a few years, yet the "Myth of Stephane Robidas" still persists.

I'd be ecstatic if we could get a late 1st for him.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:21 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Yep. I really don't get how so many people, GM's and coaches included, see him as some wonderful D-man. He hasn't been good in a few years, yet the "Myth of Stephane Robidas" still persists.

I'd be ecstatic if we could get a late 1st for him.

So... he is SO weak, that you still expect to get a first round pick for him??? How stupid is that argument?

Perhaps you should be thinking: "so many people, GM's and coaches included, see him as some wonderful D-man... maybe they know hockey a bit better than me, considering they've got jobs within the game"

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:32 AM
txomisc

I really dont think hes ever been that good anyway. Yeah he had one big offensive but thats just a career year. Hes never seemed like a smart hockey player to me, always just getting by with effort and winning fans with heart and courage.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:40 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
So... he is SO weak, that you still expect to get a first round pick for him??? How stupid is that argument?

Perhaps you should be thinking: "so many people, GM's and coaches included, see him as some wonderful D-man... maybe they know hockey a bit better than me, considering they've got jobs within the game"
Since when does "I'd be ecstatic" mean the same thing as "expect"?

Maybe they do, but what happens on the ice is the only thing that really matters, especially in this situation. And to every single one of us, he's been god awful. And it blatantly obvious, as well. There is absolutely no way none of the staff sees that, and if none of them do, every single one of them should be fired instantly. He's almost always the worst player out on the ice, and he's costing us a lot more than he gives back.

Besides, how much have you really seen of him? These past three games, maybe a couple others, that's it. I can almost guarantee that. And I'd much rather take the opinion of someone who's seen him for 4+ years than 5 games.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:00 AM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Besides, how much have you really seen of him? These past three games, maybe a couple others, that's it. I can almost guarantee that. And I'd much rather take the opinion of someone who's seen him for 4+ years than 5 games.

Quess what? - you're getting EXACTLY that opinion from the coaches and GM's.

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:23 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Not quite, seeing as neither our gm nor head coach have been here for 4+ years

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:38 AM
txomisc

I highly doubt Robidas gets traded anytime soon unless he wants to be and thats terribly unlikely. The organization has seemed to overvalue him for quite some time and thats scary considering how much turnover there has been. These guys were also counting on Steve Ott being a legit top 6 forward and gave him too much money as well.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I highly doubt Robidas gets traded anytime soon unless he wants to be and thats terribly unlikely. The organization has seemed to overvalue him for quite some time and thats scary considering how much turnover there has been. These guys were also counting on Steve Ott being a legit top 6 forward and gave him too much money as well.
Tbh i think the over dependance on robi and ott being viewed as a top 6 forward has alot to do with the lenders setting the budget, if we had an open checkbook i doubt Ott would be in the top 6 and robi wouldn't be played like a #1

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:54 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
The fact that you are defending their thinking of him being a "wonderful" defenseman says everything we need to know about you.

Robidas is a good #4 defenseman (maybe #3). But he is not, and has never been, a top pairing one. He's overused wayyyy too much and games like last night show it.

But as txomisc said, the likelihood of Robidas getting traded without him asking for one is extremely slim. The only reason we even got rid of Barch is because he requested one.

Old
12-17-2011, 12:45 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Uh... No.

Can you prove that? Has it ever been explicitly stated before? No, you can't, and it hasn't.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:53 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:

Players get traded to Cup contenders for value based on their potential or past performance all the time. I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:35 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I hate this argument. GM's and coaches the sporting world over lose their jobs all the time for the incorrect assessment and utilization of players. Being paid to do either of those jobs doesn't mean there aren't a dozen equally compensated counterparts who would do things differently.

I agree with piqued that Robidas' perception around the league is likely much higher than his current production. I disagree with some here though that say that he has been on a healthy decline for a few years. He's been asked to play far above his head for about three years now. In the beginning his less than great play can be mostly attributed to that, IMO. Playing under those circumstances (i.e. far too many total minutes, too many minutes against forwards too good for him to play against, playing both sides of special teams) has drained him to the point that the player we see now is a shell of his former self. He hasn't been this bad for the last three years though.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 12-17-2011 at 04:42 PM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:13 PM
ScubaSteve*

It was time to end the Robidas era in November 2008.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:19 PM
ScubaSteve*

Back when the Stars were a good team, Robidas was a 6th/7th defenseman, splitting time with the likes of Sami Helenius and Lyle Odelein. His talent level hasn't changed at all, yet now he's our #2, and for the longest time he was the #1. What a tribute to how far this team has fallen.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Troy McClure

And I'd argue he's still the #1 given his ice time.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:16 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

For once ScubaSteve is right.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote