HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kassian this season

Old
12-17-2011, 09:49 AM
static80

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
How can you be "not impressed". The guy is top-5 for goals, assists and points for rookies. This league isn't exactly easy to play in.
I understand the league is not easy to play in.
He disappears for stretches of games. And it shows.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:06 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
How can you be "not impressed". The guy is top-5 for goals, assists and points for rookies. This league isn't exactly easy to play in.
The team isn't deep at center and a top 6 C with size and scoring hasn't been real easy to come by in trade or FA. Gotta think this ones a keeper.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:07 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
The team isn't deep at center and a top 6 C with size and scoring hasn't been real easy to come by in trade or FA. Gotta think this ones a keeper.
He isn't playing center right now, he's out on the LW.

Old
12-17-2011, 10:16 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I warm up sloooow to players, always have. With this in mind, I am surprised and pleased with Kassian so far. He has impressed. I am just not 100% on board with never sending him back to the AHL. I think he may get even better (and more hungry) by being sent back. I'd like to see him go thru a slump, work his A** off and come out the other side, a even better player. Does anyone know what a Kassian slump looks like? Does it last a few games or a few weeks?
He needs to stay. He is what this team needs. I said it from like the 8th game of the season that he needed to be here. His size and ability to have guys bounce off him is what this team was lacking. Same thing with Adam. I like what im seeing > bigger bodies that are in Buffalo to stay for a long time. That can score! I cant wait to see Foligno in Blue and Gold.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:17 AM
CowbellConray

Simply in aww at his board play. It looks effortless (almost as effortless as Vanek on breakaways ) and he just manhandles people.

As much as it will probably never happen, I would really like to see Kassian with Vanek and Pommers as their center. Pommers is good on the draws, and Kassian's board precense would do wonders for opening Vanek's game up even more... But that is just wishful thinking.

He is making more of an impact on this team that Adam did when the season started IMO

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
kcoxsabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowbellConray View Post
Simply in aww at his board play. It looks effortless (almost as effortless as Vanek on breakaways ) and he just manhandles people.

As much as it will probably never happen, I would really like to see Kassian with Vanek and Pommers as their center. Pommers is good on the draws, and Kassian's board precense would do wonders for opening Vanek's game up even more... But that is just wishful thinking.

He is making more of an impact on this team that Adam did when the season started IMO
I have been saying that EXACT SAME thing to my roommate since Kassian came up. Pommer wins the draw back to *insert D-man here,* he flings it into the corner, Kassian recovers, holding, holding, holding, Vanek posts up in front of the net, Kassian still holding, flings it to Vanek, GOOOGGOOOOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!

kcoxsabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:21 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
He needs to stay. He is what this team needs. I said it from like the 8th game of the season that he needed to be here. His size and ability to have guys bounce off him is what this team was lacking. Same thing with Adam. I like what im seeing > bigger bodies that are in Buffalo to stay for a long time. That can score! I cant wait to see Foligno in Blue and Gold.
No to Foligno. Not yet. Expect Whitmore get the call up before him if we ever get that deep into call ups.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I would like to see the passivity go away soon. Right now, he's not initiating contact and much like Adam at times, he's peeling off from easy check finishes. If you have jumbo's, make them a load on the other team's defensemen. That he needs to finish more hits is my only complaint so far, his offensive game has translated as advertised from Windsor and he's not hurting them in their own zone most of the time (the GTG against the Sens was probably the one that stands out as a line failure for he and Adam).

It's also evident that the personalized skating instruction has improved his and Adam's speed. Lots of edgework and weight placement stuff, with his power base and how he carves, it's getting better. Now if he can improve on his pursuit lines, he'll start being even more in everyone's way or having more opportunities to punish on the forecheck.

12-17-2011, 10:29 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I understand the league is not easy to play in.
He disappears for stretches of games. And it shows.
Adam is also a 21 year old rookie and thats normal.

Quote:
Also a normal part of the process to help a young center get used to the NHL. I think you're being a tad harsh on the kid.

Adam is currently #1 on the team in goals scored per 60 mins at ES followed by Kassian (minimum 10 games played).

1. Adam ----> 1.55
2. Kassian ---> 1.51
3. Vanek -----> 1.17
4. Pommer ---> .77
5. Roy -------> .71

Adam is essentially tied for first with Vanek and Pommer in points per 60mins of ES played (minimum 10 games played).

1. Vanek ---> 2.77
2. Pommer --> 2.77
3. Adam ----> 2.76
4. Kassian ---> 2.52
5. Roy -------> 2.29

He is one of our best ES offensive players and still has a lot of development ahead of him. Thats something to be excited about.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:33 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
No to Foligno. Not yet. Expect Whitmore get the call up before him if we ever get that deep into call ups.
People were saying that about Kassian to. Just saying.

Old
12-17-2011, 10:34 AM
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman

I've been more than impressed by Kassian....Thought it would be a year or two before he could do anything at the NHL level, if he was even able to....Heck he looks like he could fit on our top line right now.....

I am also not on the Adam bandwagon....He just doesn't impress me when I watch him....I almost think his stats are more a result of his linemates....I would not mind seeing him traded as he has a very high potential right now that could bring something good back in return.....

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:38 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
I've been more than impressed by Kassian....Thought it would be a year or two before he could do anything at the NHL level, if he was even able to....Heck he looks like he could fit on our top line right now.....

I am also not on the Adam bandwagon....He just doesn't impress me when I watch him....I almost think his stats are more a result of his linemates....I would not mind seeing him traded as he has a very high potential right now that could bring something good back in return.....

I'm sorry. He needs to stay. He is a center for god sakes! How can you not see he is producing points. The man just laid some stats right in front of you. We are short on centers to begin with. They need to trade a winger and get another center if you ask me. Adam stays no doubt about it.

Old
12-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Fan-of-#9

He's a pleasure to watch - he does not look like a rookie at all with his size, strength and composure. He should defiinitely stay up with the Sabres. If he continues to show positive progression, he's going to be an absolute beast.

Fan-of-#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Samsonite23

Quote:

I'm sorry. He needs to stay. He is a center for god sakes! How can you not see he is producing points. The man just laid some stats right in front of you. We are short on centers to begin with. They need to trade a winger and get another center if you ask me. Adam stays no doubt about it.
exactly this. He's a center. He's a solid, above average rookie who can score goals. We don't have centers throw around right now

Samsonite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:07 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I would like to see the passivity go away soon. Right now, he's not initiating contact and much like Adam at times, he's peeling off from easy check finishes. If you have jumbo's, make them a load on the other team's defensemen. That he needs to finish more hits is my only complaint so far, his offensive game has translated as advertised from Windsor and he's not hurting them in their own zone most of the time (the GTG against the Sens was probably the one that stands out as a line failure for he and Adam).

It's also evident that the personalized skating instruction has improved his and Adam's speed. Lots of edgework and weight placement stuff, with his power base and how he carves, it's getting better. Now if he can improve on his pursuit lines, he'll start being even more in everyone's way or having more opportunities to punish on the forecheck.
Exactly correct on the BZK check finishing. The sad (?) part is that he is doing the same thing when in Rochester. Peeling off and avoiding the initiating. I don't think its going to change. Have to think that someone in the Sabres org told him to play differently and we're seeing that on the ice. However, to question my "sad" remark above...is it a bad thing if he continues to show up on the score sheet?

This is the difference between Zack and Marcus. Zack will think goal/make the play first, and Foligno will just go out to bang some heads. Foligno is slower, less hockey minded, and can be stubborn.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post

There was a play in the 2nd where it looked like he had the chance to put a Leaf into the 3rd row (Liles?) and completely pulled up. I'm guessing you remember.

Considering this has been mentioned about his Rochester play and was noticed in camp as well, it's gotta be an organizational edict for him, right?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:21 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
There was a play in the 2nd where it looked like he had the chance to put a Leaf into the 3rd row (Liles?) and completely pulled up. I'm guessing you remember.

Considering this has been mentioned about his Rochester play and was noticed in camp as well, it's gotta be an organizational edict for him, right?
Either that or he's worried he might take it too far and get some kind of suspension. That might be in the back of his mind causing him to take it easy.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:03 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Either that or he's worried he might take it too far and get some kind of suspension. That might be in the back of his mind causing him to take it easy.
That's basically what I meant. Except that Lindy/Darcy/whoever expressed that to Kassian directly.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:56 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Even with the entire team at full health he should not have any problem cracking the line up, he's darn good! Really strong on the puck, can't wait to see if he can fend off Brooks Orpik tonight, I bet he'll do fine. Now Chara on the hand, I doubt he'll be able to out muscle him! Not even Jagr in hi prime could escape that monster!

Should be an epic game tonight!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post

Vanek/Pommers looked pretty damn good earlier in the season with Adam between them. Better than with their current C who's name I won't attempt to spell.

The kid's a rook, and he's one of the leading point getters on the team. He's going to be inconsistent.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:10 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, for a couple of games. That doesn't change the fact that he's a center, with size, and offensive upside.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:43 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Adam is also a 21 year old rookie and thats normal.

Also a normal part of the process to help a young center get used to the NHL. I think you're being a tad harsh on the kid.

Adam is currently #1 on the team in goals scored per 60 mins at ES followed by Kassian (minimum 10 games played).

1. Adam ----> 1.55
2. Kassian ---> 1.51
3. Vanek -----> 1.17
4. Pommer ---> .77
5. Roy -------> .71

Adam is essentially tied for first with Vanek and Pommer in points per 60mins of ES played (minimum 10 games played).

1. Vanek ---> 2.77
2. Pommer --> 2.77
3. Adam ----> 2.76
4. Kassian ---> 2.52
5. Roy -------> 2.29

He is one of our best ES offensive players and still has a lot of development ahead of him. Thats something to be excited about.
I wouldn't say I'm being harsh. I think the kid is decent trade bait to better the clubs chances of a cup run in the 3 season time frame handed down by Pegula.

I also feel the same about Roy and a handful of other players, including Miller.

I have the luxury of not tying myself to player love or cornering my thoughts on the potential of a player. I'd like to see impact players that produce now, not 4 years out from now.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Yeah, for a couple of games. That doesn't change the fact that he's a center, with size, and offensive upside.
More than a couple of games, a majority of his season so far.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:50 PM
static80

Quote:

He's not a center, he's a left winger right now. A majority of those stats are from him playing on the wing.

I agree that we have wingers and defensive depth to trade, but I have no doubt Adam goes if the deal is right. I am not sold on this kid at all as an answer at center.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
More than a couple of games, a majority of his season so far.
It hasn't been the majority of his season. It's been 6 or 7 games so far.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote