The Dan Snyder Memorial Award

Closed Thread

Old
12-16-2011, 11:06 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
The Dan Snyder Memorial Award

I might have missed it, but have TNSE discussed whether they are going to continue the tradition of handing out the Dan Snyder Memorial Award at the end of the year?

Quote:
The Dan Snyder Memorial Award was awarded each year to the player of the Atlanta Thrashers who best embodies perseverance, dedication and hard work without reward or recognition, so that his team and teammates might succeed.
Just reading the description out loud, is there anyone on this year's team more deserving than Mark Stuart?

Here are the past winners:
2004: Garnet Exelby
2005: (lockout)
2006: Niclas Havelid
2007: Slava Kozlov
2008: Eric Perrin
2009: Colby Armstrong
2010: Jim Slater
2011: Bryan Little

Old
12-16-2011, 11:14 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
I really hope TNSE figure this out and perhaps this is the best way to integrate a most important piece of the Thrashers Hitory. this is a story that touched everyone

Old
12-17-2011, 02:07 AM
Stevoinga

It would be very much an insult to the memory of Dan Snyder if this award was not continued.

Old
12-17-2011, 03:13 AM
Aerial

I hope they continue it, and I would guess that they will.

And for your comment: Stuart would be perfect by the description, yes. I have tremendous respect for his play.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:58 AM
castle
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1700
when they bought the team they stated that they would continue it

[edit]hmmm... maybe not the same award

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...123679429.html

Old
12-17-2011, 12:33 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
when they bought the team they stated that they would continue it

[edit]hmmm... maybe not the same award

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...123679429.html
That article doesn't seem to paint TNSE in a great light. They say that they'll honor him in some way, but they aren't specific.

This part in particular also bothers me:
Quote:
"We're a little tentative about retired numbers," Brown said. "Dan Snyder's number (37) was retired in Atlanta, but what if we bring in a free agent who wants to wear No. 37? And then we get into the retired numbers of Winnipeg Jets."
What FA would even want to wear 37 given the history with Dan Snyder?

Old
12-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Negative Split

I had the honor of meeting Dan Snyder at a team event a few months before he passed away. I can't even begin to describe what a quality guy he was--just an all-around class act. He talked with my family for almost 20 minutes, and out of all the players on the team I've met over the years he was the friendliest and most well-spoken. I still have the jersey and puck he autographed in a glass shadowbox to keep the ink from fading.

So yeah, I do hope that TNSE keeps the award, and I'd honestly probably stop being a Jets fan if they didn't. Kind of dramatic, I know, but the events surrounding his death had such a huge impact on Thrashers fans that I think it would be disrespectful to get rid of it.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Crazed Fan

More than agree with Stuart. Tough as nails.

However Pavelec should be included in consideration, he is unreal.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

I'll be shocked if they keep the award around or even mention Dan Snyder.

TNSE wants a clean sweep, the sooner everyone forgets this team was born in Atlanta and spent a decade there, the better.

It's like dating a girl that has been married a decade- you want her history to be your history, not some other dude's.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post

TNSE wants a clean sweep, the sooner everyone forgets this team was born in Atlanta and spent a decade there, the better.

It's like dating a girl that has been married a decade- you want her history to be your history, not some other dude's.
Do you really believe all that, or is that what you assume will happen?

Like, I'm asking because I'm not sure if there's anyone that truly believes an organization could be so callous and heartless with something such as this?

Old
12-18-2011, 07:46 PM
blues10

Quote:

I agree with all of the above.

Since Snyder remains in the hearts of the hockey fans of Georgia and is a part of the fabric and history of professional hockey in Atlanta perhaps the Gwinnet Gladiators could give out the award.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:02 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 580
Personally I'm ambivalent in regards to what TNSE does.
I would like to see the award carried on because the tragedy transcended Atlanta, it was a tragedy to every hockey fan. I personally don't see the downside of carrying on the award. That said, it's TNSE's call and if they don't want to that is their choice to make. I think the fact that we're having this discussion shows that Dan Snyder will not be forgotten just because the Thrashers are now the Jets. And that's what is really important.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:21 PM
blues10

The Chicago Wolves and the OHL have awards named after Dan Snyder so he will certainly not be forgotten regardless of what TNSE chooses to do.

Quote:
The Dan Snyder Man of the Year Award is given to the Chicago Wolves player who demonstrates the most outstanding dedication to Chicago area community service each year.

Winners: Spencer Machacek (2011), Brett Sterling (2010), Jordan LaVallee (2009), Nathan Oystrick (2008), Brian Sipotz (2007), Karl Stewart(2005, 2006) and Kurtis Foster(2004)
Quote:
The Dan Snyder Memorial Award is given to one player in the OHL that has demonstrated outstanding qualities as a positive role model in the community. This link will take you to a video of the 2011 award presented to Jack Walchessen by Graham Snyder.

Winners: Jack Walchessen, Peterborough Petes (2011), Ryan Hayes, Plymouth Whalers (2010), Chris Terry (2009), Plymouth Whalers, Peter Stevens, Kingston Frontenacs (2008), Andrew Gibbons, Belleville Bulls (2007), Mike Angeledis, Owen Sound Attack(2006), Jeff McDougald, Peterborough Petes (2005), Chris Campoli, Erie Otters(2004)
http://37risingstars.com/about_dan.html

Old
12-18-2011, 08:22 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

It doesnt matter to me either way

Old
12-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

I understand how much this award means to Atlanta hockey fans.

I do not think that TN will carry the award on, as they have treated this franchise pretty much as new since they got it, and I don't think they will bring back something that, though tragic, has more to do with Atlanta hockey and their history than anything else.

What I would like to see is the NHL adopting the award in some capacity. I know they have the Masterson but perhaps they could find an honorable reason to award it to an NHL player every year.

12-18-2011, 08:24 PM
blues10

I missed this:

Quote:
The Dan Snyder Memorial Trophy is presented to the Thrashers unsung hero, the player who best embodies perseverance, dedication and hard work without reward or recognition, so that his team and teammates might succeed.

As of the 2011-2012 season, the Winnipeg Jets will continue to present this award in Dan Snyder's memory. Reported by Joe Yeorden in a June article on ProHockeyTalk "Winnipeg’s director of hockey operations and communications Scott Brown says that Snyder’s memory will continue to be honored when the team moves." The Snyder family was very pleased to hear this news and wishes to sincerely thank the Winnipeg organization.

Winners: Bryan Little (2011), Jim Slater (2010), Colby Armstrong (2009), Eric Perrin (2008), Slava Kozlov (2007), Niclas Havelid(2006), and Garnet Exelby(2004)
http://37risingstars.com/about_dan.html

Old
12-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
There you go, shows you what little I know about things

Old
12-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 54
TNSE continues to show it's class.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:32 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
Great find Blues.

I really hope Stuart gets it!

Old
12-18-2011, 10:21 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

TNSE is in the weeds right now playing catch up still and this entire ride has been a world wind. However they are really classy people and they will get it right. Dan Snyder and his family are shinning beacons of the type of people TNSE would want to be associated with so this is a no brainer.

But don't expect Kovy's jersey to be in our rafters anytime soon

Old
12-18-2011, 10:50 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
TNSE is in the weeds right now playing catch up still and this entire ride has been a world wind. However they are really classy people and they will get it right. Dan Snyder and his family are shinning beacons of the type of people TNSE would want to be associated with so this is a no brainer.

But don't expect Kovy's jersey to be in our rafters anytime soon

didnt he kind of leave Atlanta on bad terms last year anyway? i could be wrong but i thought Atlanta offered him a contract extension and he turned it down

Old
12-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
didnt he kind of leave Atlanta on bad terms last year anyway? i could be wrong but i thought Atlanta offered him a contract extension and he turned it down
Excellent player, but I'm kind of glad his fifty eight year contract isn't on our books.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Why can't we be mature enough to discuss things of this nature without offending or being insensitive to others?

Whether or not Dan Snyder was joyriding with a friend at the time of his death it is still sad and tragic.

If you're brother, sister, or mother were in a car with someone who had been drinking and they were killed, wouldn't you want their memory honoured?

At any rate it has been established that the Jets will indeed carry on this award, so in the interest of keeping this thread from turning into a ****show it's now closed.

Closed Thread