HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jacques Martin FIRED!

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Martin firing?
Right timing (Good riddance) 30 11.76%
Finally (Should have happened sooner) 152 59.61%
Surprised (they didn't wait until later in the season) 48 18.82%
Should have kept him as coach. 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 11:06 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Roy will not come until next year:

- last year in the Q for his son
- Remparts have a shot at the cup

Old
12-17-2011, 11:06 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure....not with the d-squad we have....

THEY'RE SOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Hahahaa

Old
12-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Roy better be coming soon
inexperienced hot heads are awesome.......

Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by persh View Post
THEY SOFFF...

Old
Shadowdancer

vCash: 407
Well, if its a coach who speaks french you want, I'm sure Pierre McGuire is avalible

Old
Schooner Guy

Why are people upset that we missed out on Boucher?? He's become almost a running joke among his peers. If you think Martin's system is boring.....and we don't have the offensive players TB has.

Old
tiredman

Quote:
Only way I see this happens is

-if Quebec doesn't get a team for next year -> he's the obvious #1 choice of Quebecor.

-if he's given both GM and Head coach jobs. He refused the same offer from the Avs a couple years ago because he didn't want to leave Qc city and wanted to coach his sons. Also, I don't see him coaching a team on which he doesn't manage the roster.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

Old
THE HOFF

Quote:
Sorry. but just a dumb article. Gauthier was fine with Martin. Everybody wanted Boucher, yet we let him go to show how much Gauthier was fine with Martin. So we had to see what Martin could have done. The Martin-Gauthier apologists here thought the world of that duo. So it's possible Gauthier thought so to. So Boucher was let go and as far as I'm concerned, he speaks french. So then Muller was let go 'cause it's clear him and Martin were not sharing the same philosophy. Philosophy that Gauthier shared with Martin at some point.

So how come Gautheir makes the move now? 'Cause he had to now. And frankly, this organization has shown to be way more reactive than proactive. But why wouldn't he? Gainey fired Carbo weeks after naming him his best move. So it's possible Gauthier loved Martin at the start of the year and now has to reassess.

And as far as all those posts about "hire the best man, nobody cares about the french"....well most of the french guys were hired ended up to be just as succesful as some of the anglo coaches in this league. True that we all believe Ruff and Trotz are better than Therrien and Roy, yet they have won just as many cups as coaches as the french coaches did. Yes, it's not all about the Cups. I know. But those french coaches we hired like Vigneault and Julien are doing pretty good for themselves. And I'm pretty sure that at the hiring of those people, you had a couple of wiseguys here saying that we didn't pick the "best" guy available......French coaches CAN be good too. But in this board, the day you hire the french guy, you CLEARLY didn't go for the best. And the joke is especially when you then ask for the possible anglo candidates, nobody can name anybody. Geez, I'm franco and I came with the Jim Benning name for the GM. How about the fans of the "best man available" come with names as well?

Rarely would an assistant gm of a team do a good job by taking the coach job right after. Why would it be different with Kirk? People know how much I dislike Gauthier, though I recognize he does makes good moves once in a while, but it made NO SENSE to hire Muller at the start of the year. Later on....well Gauthier chose his side. And it was Martin. But if you wanted Muller, you had to hope Gauthier would have been fired first. But his time will come.
great read. very nice post and its about time some people try to wake up here. All I've seen french posters do is celebrate martin's end ... don't know how it that warrants provocation ...especially when it has nothing to do with hockey.

Old
Lshap

Quote:
I really don't get this sentiment. Roy? Entertaining, yes. But way too emotional, too intuitive, too hair-trigger. And here's the ultimate irony: he'd probably end up being very much like Mario Tremblay.

Old
voyageur
Registered lunatic

I think that Jacques Martin deserves some criticism for the Habs failing, with his passive coaching style. But I still think management has really let the coach and the fans down. David Fischer. A 1st rd pick for Tanguay, who is let go for nothing. Gomez for Mc Donaugh (and Higgins). Latendresse for Poiliot, who in return is let go for nothing. D'Agostini for a minor-leaguer. Sergei Kostitsyn for no NHL players. Lapierre for nothing. Resigning a seriously injured defenseman long-term, leaving a vacuum in the lineup. Now some of these trades/moves were precipated by Jacques Martin's inability to work with his players (a good coach can conform his system to his players, not trying to make them fit his system, i.e why could Lapierre not be a 4th line centre, top PK guy,when he was a proven talent at that position), but others were simply bad asset management by Gainey/Gauthier...Will be interested to see how the team responds to Cunneyworth as coach. If he can bring a better tempo to this good skating team I think the results will be positive...

A part of me has always hoped that the duo of Muller and Carbonneau would return to coach the Habs, former players who understood the significance of the sweater they donned, righting another past wrong, or wrongs, however I think the Molsons would have to clean house to achieve that. I simply don't see that happening, unless the roof caves in.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:10 AM
ThaDevilGirl

I'm annoyed that they picked Cunneyworth as an interim coach. Rather have a suitable replacement for Martin.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post

Dale Hunter accepted a coach job in Washington while first in OHL with the London Knights full of good prospects...what is your point? NHL coaching job is to take when you have the occasion.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:12 AM
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job

Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post

lol good luck gettin' past the Dogs

Old
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
Dale Hunter accepted a coach job in Washington while first in OHL with the London Knights full of good prospects...what is your point? NHL coaching job is to take when you have the occasion.

good point

Old
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

enough about roy jesus, hes a bum of a coach. sorry to rain on the parade. Lets hire Jeff hackett.....

Old
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
Nah. Roy said he wouldn't leave the Remparts during the season.

Old
Bacchus1

I wonder how much of a difference it will make ... only sad thing about this is that we have lost the opportunity to hire some great coaches such as Muller and Bouchard, etc. Anyway, hope everything works out nicely!

Old
Bloumeister
#JeSuisCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Valk View Post
Quote:
Sorry. but just a dumb article.
What did you expect?

Quote:
About The Upper Canadien

The Upper Canadien is your one stop shop for all things Montreal Canadiens. Since the summer of 2010, Iíve been providing Habs related news, notes, and most importantly, opinions. As a blogger, I donít believe itís my job to report the news, itís my privilege to comment on it. You may disagree with what I suggest. In fact, you most likely will. But thatís the great part about blogging: it spurs opinion, comment and engages all involved. Iíve really enjoyed all the debate and commentary from readers thus far and I encourage everyone to respond with ideas on lineups, trades, logos, sweaters, mascots, whatever. The Upper Canadien is a conversation for all hockey fanatics.

Iíve come to Kuklaís Korner with four years of campus radio and three years of sportswriting from my time at Mount Allison University on Canadaís East coast. Not only do I not have any professional journalistic training, after five years in the corporate world, Iíve spent much of the past two years completing an MBA. Business by day, hockey by night, Iím a Canadiens fan through and through. I hope you enjoy reading as much as I do writing.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Would Michel Therrien be a good fit?

He would bring emotion, that's for sure.
He was about to miss the playoffs and was getting outshot grossly with a Pittsburgh team full of superstars and that went on to win the Cup after his dismissal.

I remember the days of our Habs giving up 40+ shots per game under Therrien. Even with a crappy team, any coach with any type of structure can at least trim the shots on goal down against (even expansion teams have done this).

Old
12-17-2011, 11:13 AM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I'm annoyed that they picked Cunneyworth as an interim coach. Rather have a suitable replacement for Martin.
Why make a quick decision now? Now they can properly evaluate people over the season. If they want to hire an assistant coach off another team they probably have to wait until the off season. Hiring a new coach now would be dumb unless the guy they wanted wasn't on a nhl or ahl bench right now.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

I'm ecstatic! Martin overly focused on system adherence (a system which was incoherent with the assets he'd been given) while neglecting communication and player development/improvement. Good riddance.

While Cunneyworth may not have a better system to implement (at least not yet), he proved he's a better communicator and motivator than Martin in Hamilton and Rochester. I'm glad the team is willing to give him a chance as the interim coach to see what he's capable of before looking elsewhere.

Now, hopefully Gauthier and Gainey are next...

Old
12-17-2011, 11:15 AM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
hopefully JM had lost the room so bad that was one of the biggest problems
an addition by subtraction gets this team fired up

Old
12-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Maliki2

Even the firings are stupid. Boucher, and Muller gone. Fire Martin. This management is just all ****ed up.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:17 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

There will be a white Christmas after all. I need a new wardrobe and downstairs though..

Closed Thread