HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Martin FIRED!

View Poll Results: What do you think about the Martin firing?
Right timing (Good riddance) 30 11.76%
Finally (Should have happened sooner) 152 59.61%
Surprised (they didn't wait until later in the season) 48 18.82%
Should have kept him as coach. 25 9.80%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 09:27 AM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Developpe the youngsters, trade the dead vets, pick Grigorenko. I'm pretty sure that that's the plan.

Old
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

In the end, things like that happen. Might not necessarily mean that a guy is dumb. But it will always come down to the firing of 22 players or the coach. And they always go the easy route. Understandably. And it will happen to Gauthier to. As much as the Martni/Gauthier/Gainey apologists want to think they are/were the greatest. Comes a time when if you don't win, you move on. At least in this kind of market. In the end though, it comes down to the selection of the players. I didn't like Martin and glad he's gone. But Cunneyworth will not change this whole thing by the minute. And just a suggestion....I hope people don't do like Kaberle. If Randy wins his 1st game, just be a little more patient instead of saying that he'll win all the rest of the games left.....What Cunneyworth needs to do is to makes the players gain their confidence back. That's all.

But personnally, I feel that Cunneyworth is the same type of coach Martin is. Nothing new so far which makes me hope it's just by interim.

Old
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I liked JM as a coach up until this year. I think he struggled to make the necessary adjustments and as a result he lost the team. You could see he was at a loss for answers in the way he answered questions during his pressers. I was quite certain he would be fired within a few weeks. Sucks that we did it right before Xmas.

Old
onice

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredman View Post
Unless he's the guy they want to promote as coach for next year ?
His name is Lawrence Robert...does he even speak French? Ladouceur has a French last name and doesn't speak French.

Last edited by onice: 12-17-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Let just say that this firing puts him next in line. That's a start. Personnally though, I would thanks also Gainey for his services as well at the same time.

Time for a complete NEW direction.
I agree, we can't just accept mediocrity any more, its time for a new direction.

Old
Rickkins

Old
12-17-2011, 09:29 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Although I found some of JM's decisions questionable I'm still okay with the responsibility he instilled in his players. And from the very first day since he arrived JM never, ever had what was supposed to close to a full roster. I'll always thank him for the playoff run of a couple of years because it truly was a lot of fun.

I know everyone wants a more aggressive system but like a Bruin fan in this thread, I question whether the team is even built for that. Not when you have smallish players up front and the likes of Hal Gill on the backend. I just remember JM last year stating he wanted more from the blueline. But that's when Markov was coming back and things were looking rosy. I just always felt JM wanted to do more offensively but couldn't given the injury riddled personnel.

I'm anxious to see the TOI distributed by Cunneyworth. I guess it could be telling moving forward or maybe not.

Anyway........good luck JM! Thanks for the playoff run. You did some odd stuff for sure, at least to an outsider's POV but I thought you did some good stuff too.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:29 AM
patsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs8517 View Post
Yes but 3 years too late. He should have been fired the first year or never hired in the first place. He can thank Halak and Price for lasting this long, he was a worse coach then a rookie Carbo which is mind blogging considering he has coached over 1000 games.
I have to disagree, in his first year, his system was actually working in playoffs, a lot og blocked shots.

Well so long Jacques. Bad timing IMO, should have been done at beginning of the month, not before a VERY long trip.

I'm not sure what make PG change his mind suddenly, there were plenty of occasion before (losing streaks...); must've been yesterday Antichambre show All kidding aside, there was some real arguments thrown .

Old
12-17-2011, 09:30 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

That Carrière move though is funny. Never was a coach in his entire life. But he speaks french. I hope you are ready for the press conferences Larry.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:30 AM
smon

VERY surprised that they fired Martin with an uncertain replacement? Cunneyworth till end of season suggests he has the inside track... but unilingual?

Old
12-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Sucks that we did it right before Xmas.
Yes, sucks he'll make a nice fat million right now.

Old
gifted88
Dante the poet

So what does this do to our line combo's? Have we seen the last of Darche in the top 6?

Old
CHill Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
With all due respect, you have not seen as much of Martin as we have.
could the mods flush this turd off our board? he didn't come in peace. if this were on their board, the hab poster would be given a penalty.
coming in peace to thank us we're easier to play against? **** off

Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperyPete View Post
Well, this was what a lot of people were calling for. I'm just not convinced it was a good idea - especially at this time. I guess there are always things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about, but if Cunneyworth is going to be the interim until the end of the season, why not just keep Martin with the possibility that we'll make the playoffs if the injuries ever stop piling up. Martin's system works relatively well in the playoffs when things tighten up. Then if we still weren't happy, we could fire him in the off-season, hire a new coach and give them a whole training camp to implement a new style.

I'm just not sure what this is supposed to do for the team at this time. But I'm hoping to be proved wrong.
Just look at how they played. The vets were down and frustrated. These are vets with BIG contracts. Cam is a shell of his former self. The Darche lovefest. Blaming our YOUTH for every frigging loss. Subban's play has changed. Losing leads consistently. Dressing a Dman on the 4th line. Martin has done a lot of silly things that warrant his firing. What has he ever done for this team besides riding the coattails of a hot goalie a couple years ago?

With that said, Gauthier put him in a pretty crappy position...but there are teams playing better with a lot less.

Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I just hope that Gauthier and all of those who were part of the Gainey era just leave. Time for a change in the full out conservative borderline ***** mentality in this org.

I never forgot the bruins game last year when we got humiliated and bullied and nothing was done to remedy the situation.

Old
Freaky Habs Fan

Maybe I'll start to watch the games again. I lost interest since the start of the year...

I'm wondering who will replace him though. I hope we'll go for someone who can't speak french for once...I mean, Carlyle is available!

Old
12-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
VERY surprised that they fired Martin with an uncertain replacement? Cunneyworth till end of season suggests he has the inside track... but unilingual?
Hockey is all that matters, any fan who complains about a coach not speaking french needs to learn to separate politics and pleasure/entertainment.

Old
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
i am shocked that they did this

finally a big change

Old
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Yes, sucks he'll make a nice fat million right now.
Martin has a pretty nice contract to fall back on for several more years.

Old
Stradale

It had to be done.

Thanks for the service Jacques.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Gomez91

Coach Patrick Roi........

Old
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Yes, that will mean the team plays into more mistakes. That should work out very nicely for us. Martin's discipline was making the Habs far too tough, allowing them to play well against the far more talented Bruins, they did us a big favor.

Thank you Gainey!
You must not follow hockey much if you still think Gainey is the Habs GM.

Old
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Hockey is all that matters, any fan who complains about a coach not speaking french needs to learn to separate politics and pleasure/entertainment.
This is Montreal, I don't care, but the media will savage a unlingual coach especially one who has never been an NHL head coach before.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:34 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
At this pont, i'll be happy if we sell those contracts, otherwise #nodifference.

Old
12-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Dean Ambrose
#BESTFORBUSINESS

vCash: 104
I woke up to the text message from TSN and I literally jumped out of bed! It was a move that needed to be done.

Closed Thread