HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus vs. Tampa Bay | 12/17 7PM EST | "Midas Touch" Edition

Old
12-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Columbus vs. Tampa Bay | 12/17 7PM EST | "Midas Touch" Edition

vs.

7:00 PM
Nationwide Arena
Columbus, Ohio

Lines
Downie-Stamkos-Malone
Pyatt-Lecavalier-Moore
Shannon-Jones-Purcell
Hall-Thompson-Tyrell

Hedman-Brewer
Kubina-Clark
Gervais-Bergeron

Garon
Roloson

Inactive
Connolly

Lines
Prospal-Carter-Nash
Vermette-Brassard-Letestu
Umberger-Pahlsson-Dorestt
Byers-MacKenzie-Boll

Tyutin-Nikitin
Methot-Wisniewski
Moore-Clitsome

Mason
Sanford

Inactive
Johansen, Johnson

12-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

So glad Johansen may be scratched. This way he can think about the meaningful hockey he could be playing in the WJC.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 50
I plan on going tonight. Go Jackets

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 09:52 AM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

The debut of the three-headed monster called Dorsett-Boll-Byers!

bester vaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:00 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
So glad Johansen may be scratched. This way he can think about the meaningful hockey he could be playing in the WJC.
Meaningful?

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Meaningful?
I think it is evident that Johansen has hit a wall. He would most likely get some good from playing in a tournament against his peers. Some would say that is a step back from the NHL, but if he can go win a gold medal, yes that would be meaningful.

I don't think Johansen being with the big club this year will make or break him, but the way the season has progressed isn't exactly good for moulding young minds. GMSH thought keeping Johansen up would give the team the best chance at winning, but the writing was on the wall when the deadline for letting players go to the WJC passed.

Last edited by Jaxs: 12-17-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old
12-17-2011, 12:34 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I think it is evident that Johansen has hit a wall. He would most likely get some good from playing in a tournament against his peers. Some would say that is a step back from the NHL, but if he can go win a gold medal, yes that would be meaningful.

I don't think Johansen being with the big club this year will make or break him, but the way the season has progressed isn't exactly good for moulding young minds. GMSH thought keeping Johansen up would give the team the best chance at winning, but the writing was on the wall when the deadline for letting players go to the WJC passed.
One valuable lesson to be learned from this season:

How much it hurts to lose and how much work is necessary to win.

Johansen has played with peers his whole life and he won a medal, last year. If he has hit a wall, he can now learn how to push past that and contribute, again. So he sits out tonight, he'll be back in next game. I think both he and the Jackets will ultimately benefit from his experience, this year. In my opinion, he's beyond the stage where playing in an exhibition tourney with Juniors will be of much help, he's an NHL player, now.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 50
Quote:

Johansen has played with peers his whole life and he won a medal, last year. If he has hit a wall, he can now learn how to push past that and contribute, again. So he sits out tonight, he'll be back in next game. I think both he and the Jackets will ultimately benefit from his experience, this year. In my opinion, he's beyond the stage where playing in an exhibition tourney with Juniors will be of much help, he's an NHL player, now.
I would agree. You get better by playing against better players.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:27 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
I would agree. You get better by playing against better players.
Very true, but it could also help to go somewhere for a couple weeks where he is actually winning, for a change. That's got to have an impact on morale if nothing else..

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I don't disagree with what you have said. If the CBJ were closer to, or in a playoff position, my stance would be different.

Like I said earlier, I don't think him playing at the WJC will hurt his development. He may be an NHL player now, but getting back to what got him to the NHL won't hurt him one bit.

Old
12-17-2011, 01:49 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

This was posted as a comment (by an Oiler fan, I think) on The Cannon blog:

"On Roli refusing to come to Columbus in the draft,

Hey folks – just want to clarify this, as I often see it posted when it comes to the Jackets and Roli. I wasn’t following his career back then, but a couple years ago (2010 playoffs I think) he did an interview and Doug MacLean was one of the commentators interviewing him (I think it was a HockeyCentral interview on Toronto’s Fan590).

Anyway they were joking about this and MacLean admitted that Rick Wamsley (Simcoe native, as is Roli) wanted Roli at the time but he didn’t and basically Roli was told not to bother reporting. It may have been reported at the time and it’s been thought all these years that Roli refused to play for the Jackets, but MacLean was clear during this interview that it was his decision, not Roli’s. Why they picked him in the expansion draft I have no idea. Roli joked with Doug saying something to the effect that he had spent the years prior to that as a seldom-played backup and he wouldn’t want him either."

Has anyone else heard this?

Old
12-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Heading down tonight with 6 members of my family. That's 2 more than were representing the ACA at Thursday night's game. Maybe Mike Todd will sport a Derby Family Scarf and shout out to us during hamsterball races!

Tomorrow morning we head out to the real ARCH CITY to cheer the CBJ on to a victory over Hitch and Russ.

CBJ win them both.

Derby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portzline
-- Looks like the scratches tonight are D Aaron Johnson and RW Dane Byers.
Seems like Johansen will be playing unless I've missed something (checked Puckrakers + twitter).

This raises the question; why are we handling Johansen differently from Filatov? Filatov would see about 10 minutes on the second line, followed by nights of the pressbox and the fourth line. Johansen is playing hard and is creating opportunities, sure, but it seemed like Filatov was as well. This isn't to say that I agree or disagree with either decision, just that the inconsistencies seem strange.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:02 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Heading over to the game shortly with Halfboard children units. Hoping for a better showing than last Thurs. game we attended. Oh well, it's still all good - Christmas upon us and NHL hockey to attend. ..................

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Seems like Johansen will be playing unless I've missed something (checked Puckrakers + twitter).

This raises the question; why are we handling Johansen differently from Filatov? Filatov would see about 10 minutes on the second line, followed by nights of the pressbox and the fourth line. Johansen is playing hard and is creating opportunities, sure, but it seemed like Filatov was as well. This isn't to say that I agree or disagree with either decision, just that the inconsistencies seem strange.
Slap shots http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...urts-game.html

Howson declined to comment on the possibility that Phoenix Coyotes center Kyle Turris could be traded to Columbus. Turris wants out of Phoenix and a trade reportedly is imminent. Standout Martin St. Louis (eye) did not travel with the Tampa Bay Lightning for a game against the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena tonight. Former Blue Jackets goalie Mathieu Garon is expected to start for the Lightning. Arniel said left wing Derek Dorsett (left leg) will play tonight if he is cleared by medical staff. Rookie Ryan Johansen has no points in his past nine games and is a candidate to be scratched against the Lightning.

smitchell@dispatch.com

Old
12-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Slap shots http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...urts-game.html

Howson declined to comment on the possibility that Phoenix Coyotes center Kyle Turris could be traded to Columbus. Turris wants out of Phoenix and a trade reportedly is imminent. … Standout Martin St. Louis (eye) did not travel with the Tampa Bay Lightning for a game against the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena tonight. Former Blue Jackets goalie Mathieu Garon is expected to start for the Lightning. … Arniel said left wing Derek Dorsett (left leg) will play tonight if he is cleared by medical staff. … Rookie Ryan Johansen has no points in his past nine games and is a candidate to be scratched against the Lightning.

smitchell@dispatch.com
According to Portzline's twitter as of 2 hours ago, it is Johnson and Byers that are out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Aportzline
Aaron Portzline
Scratches tonight for #CBJ look like D Aaron Johnson and LW Dane Byers.
2 hours ago via TweetDeck
I saw the slapshots but that was from 5:30 AM.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Things chanced before New Year even before Christmas...I am pleasant suprise so I can return sooner than I expected

I hope we will win, Tampa has acrisis plus its defense is not so good according Tampas fans

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:14 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

This....is a critical game.

Lose tonight and Arniel must be fired.
If they lose playing like crap, and he is not fired, I will stop watching and begin looking for a team that doesn't **** on its fans, and an owner that has balls. There are so many teams i like that qualify it won't be hard.

Win, and I'll hang on.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:14 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Do you really see similarities in their play? I don't.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:17 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
This....is a critical game.

Lose tonight and Arniel must be fired.
If they lose playing like crap, and he is not fired, I will stop watching and begin looking for a team that doesn't **** on its fans, and an owner with balls. There are so many teams that qualify it won't be hard.

Win, and I'll hang on.
We should let them know how important this is. Can someone post this in the locker room, please?

Edit: Welcome back, mt-svk! Glad things worked out. Maybe Jf will stick around now.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Do you really see similarities in their play? I don't.
Of course I do.

Let's not have our views tainted by confirmation bias / what we know in hindsight. Based upon what we see on the ice and production, I want to know why the coaches are far more lenient with Johansen than they were with Filatov.

Last edited by Crede777: 12-17-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old
12-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
According to Portzline's twitter as of 2 hours ago, it is Johnson and Byers that are out.

I saw the slapshots but that was from 5:30 AM.
I said "may" in the second post, so it was never definitive. Didn't mean to mislead.

Old
12-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
The answer has to be attitude, in practice, in the lockerroom, at meetings, etc. And that is something that fans are rarely allowed to observe.

Filatov failed with four+ different coaches, I don't think you can pin this on Arniel.

But that ship has sailed.

(No, really. The ship has literally sailed. Back to Russia.)

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:01 PM
EDM

This game is important? Why? They win, they will slack off in the next one. They lose, maybe they will step it up for a game or two. Up, down, up a few, down a few. "All things are as they were in the times of those whom we have buried". Nothing, other than possible serious injuries, really matters for the rest of this year.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
The answer has to be attitude, in practice, in the lockerroom, at meetings, etc. And that is something that fans are rarely allowed to observe.

Filatov failed with four+ different coaches, I don't think you can pin this on Arniel.

But that ship has sailed.

(No, really. The ship has literally sailed. Back to Russia.)
He's riding Pteradctyl Air now!