HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus vs. Tampa Bay | 12/17 7PM EST | "Midas Touch" Edition

Old
12-17-2011, 04:12 PM
CBJ103

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Of course I do.

Let's not have our views tainted by confirmation bias / what we know in hindsight. Based upon what we see on the ice and production, I want to know why the coaches are far more lenient with Johansen than they were with Filatov.
A competent NHL organization has an idea/plan on how to bring along and develop top draft choices. The CBJ do not meet the definition of such an organization. What you point out is simply the result of the "we really don't know what we are doing " management of the CBJ. Nothing more, nothing less.

CBJ103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Seems like Johansen will be playing unless I've missed something (checked Puckrakers + twitter).

This raises the question; why are we handling Johansen differently from Filatov? Filatov would see about 10 minutes on the second line, followed by nights of the pressbox and the fourth line. Johansen is playing hard and is creating opportunities, sure, but it seemed like Filatov was as well. This isn't to say that I agree or disagree with either decision, just that the inconsistencies seem strange.
Pretty simple really, Johansen is already one of the best defensive forwards on the club and isn't afraid to go to the middle of the ice, while Filatov was a big *****. Offense aside Filatov was a liability while Johansen isn't. If you recall, at the beginning of the season Johansen sat out a lot for no reason at all.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Of course I do.

Let's not have our views tainted by confirmation bias / what we know in hindsight. Based upon what we see on the ice and production, I want to know why the coaches are far more lenient with Johansen than they were with Filatov.
Oh god, I would love to know these similarities.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Of course I do.

And I do not.

Based on what I see on the ice, one guy is physically and temperamentally ready to compete in the NHL and the other guy wasn't (and still isn't). They are treated differently because they are different.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Things chanced before New Year even before Christmas...I am pleasant suprise so I can return sooner than I expected

I hope we will win, Tampa has acrisis plus its defense is not so good according Tampas fans
WELCOME BACK!

Hope this means things are going well for you, and you will be able to stick around.

As for those Jackets. I look for a better game out of them tonight, and I will be in my usual spot in 105.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:43 PM
CBJ103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
Well, over the past 9 games, Johansen and Filatov have tallied the same number of points for the CBJ.....

CBJ103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Doug19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ103 View Post
Well, over the past 9 games, Johansen and Filatov have tallied the same number of points for the CBJ.....
That's the only similarity you have plain and simple. Other than points there is nothing that looks similar in the two players and there is absolutely a reason why they should be treated differently. One is ready and the other isn't, and still isn't. Would everybody love to see Johansen put up more points? Absolutely, but he's doing other things on the ice that allow him to keep his position on the team, nobody else on this team is lighting it up, our rookie is the least of our worries.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Crede777
Deputized

So far nobody has enumerated the on ice differences in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
The answer has to be attitude, in practice, in the lockerroom, at meetings, etc. And that is something that fans are rarely allowed to observe.
That has to be it which is a shame. The coaches are how old? And Filatov/Johansen are only 20-21 years old.

Quote:
For starters, they're both young offensive players taken early in the first round. That in itself necessitates a large number of similarities between the two. They both rely on hockey IQ and skill over grit. They both are playing on the wing so as to diminish their defensive responsibilities.

Johansen is bigger, but from what I've seen game in and game out, their level of hustle appears to be the same.

What are their differences? Johansen doesn't go to the hard places like Atkinson did earlier in the year and like Prospal/Umberger do now. Heck, Brassard is out-hustling Johansen.

Last edited by Crede777: 12-17-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:54 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
WELCOME BACK!

Hope this means things are going well for you, and you will be able to stick around.

As for those Jackets. I look for a better game out of them tonight, and I will be in my usual spot in 105.
Yes... right. It was for Julka and I think it will be longer but Julka tried so it is better now...

Back to the game. I think ifTampa plays a trap we will have problems. Our lines except thefirst line are... without combination, without think, only shoot and skate. AHL hockey.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Doug19

Quote:
That has to be it, because honestly I don't think it's tangible on-ice-play which SHOULD be 99% of the consideration.
Tangible on-ice-play should be 99% of the consideration now for rookies? That's news to me, I thought, especially for young rookies, it was about going out there and showing you belong and continuing to work towards bettering your play, last I checked there is more to hockey than scoring points. If he continues this in his sophomore season, sure it would acceptable to worry, but putting up so-so point totals in his rookie season is okay granted he looks like he belongs, which he does. He's a rookie, he can't carry the team, and he isn't exactly playing with players that are making things happen offensively, I don't think it is any surprise that he was putting up points when he was actually playing with a guy who was able to score.

Old
12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Doug19

Quote:
That has to be it which is a shame. The coaches are how old? And Filatov/Johansen are only 20-21 years old.

For starters, they're both young offensive players taken early in the first round. That in itself necessitates a large number of similarities between the two. They both rely on hockey IQ and skill over grit. They both are playing on the wing so as to diminish their defensive responsibilities.

Johansen is bigger, but from what I've seen game in and game out, their level of hustle appears to be the same.

What are their differences? Johansen doesn't go to the hard places like Atkinson did earlier in the year and like Prospal/Umberger do now.
Yeah, I guess I'll stop now, because I pretty much disagree with your whole premise. He doesn't go to the hard areas? Are you ****ing kidding me? Where is this kid standing in the offensive zone usually? Hint it's in front of a player with tons of pads and a mask, if that isn't a "hard area" then I don't know what is. The only similarity between Johansen and Filatov is they are both young, after that nothing else is similar. With that I'll let you continue your ridiculous statements, he isn't hustling? my god you are...

Old
12-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I'm not trying to be controversial, but I don't SEE the hustle. I don't remember Johansen being in front of the goalie. I want people to watch tonight and tell me how much Johansen is hustling compared to other guys on the team.

Quote:
Tangible on-ice-play should be 99% of the consideration now for rookies? That's news to me, I thought, especially for young rookies, it was about going out there and showing you belong and continuing to work towards bettering your play, last I checked there is more to hockey than scoring points. If he continues this in his sophomore season, sure it would acceptable to worry, but putting up so-so point totals in his rookie season is okay granted he looks like he belongs, which he does. He's a rookie, he can't carry the team, and he isn't exactly playing with players that are making things happen offensively, I don't think it is any surprise that he was putting up points when he was actually playing with a guy who was able to score.
That's not what I'm expecting. I just want to know what the tangible differences are (and why the coaches are deviating from the original plan of not overloading him with games/minutes).

Hustle? That's an intangible and from what I've seen Johansen isn't hustling more than anyone else. Size? maybe... Production? No...

As for attitude? I don't know if you have kids or not but honestly you shouldn't take anything a teenager or 20 year old says seriously.

Last edited by Crede777: 12-17-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old
12-17-2011, 05:03 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Taking my future son in law to his second NHL game. He liked the first one a month ago and is excited to go to another one. I think we have another fan in the making!

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I'll stop now, because I pretty much disagree with your whole premise. He doesn't go to the hard areas? Are you ****ing kidding me? Where is this kid standing in the offensive zone usually? Hint it's in front of a player with tons of pads and a mask, if that isn't a "hard area" then I don't know what is. The only similarity between Johansen and Filatov is they are both young, after that nothing else is similar. With that I'll let you continue your ridiculous statements, he isn't hustling? my god you are...
There's no reason to be antagonistic here.

I'd like specific instances of on-ice play, examples if you will, that show the difference. I'm not asking for grandiose terms like "hustle" or "dedication," I'm asking for clips/examples I can compare and analyze to see why the coaches are approaching him differently. I honestly think the differences are in physical size and nationality (although I highly doubt that second one).

From this fan's viewpoint, last season I couldn't tell you why Filatov was being benched. Heck, from this fan's viewpoint I couldn't tell you why Brassard sat so long in the pressbox this season. I don't think Arniel is using kids as a scapegoat, but their on-ice play seems to be about equal. Yet a kid who they said was going to have reduced minutes and spend some nights in, some nights sitting out and wouldn't be rushed, is continually in the top-6 and 2nd PP unit despite having 0 points in 9 games.

Old
12-17-2011, 05:55 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Getting to watch this one on TV tonight, only it'll be on Sun Sports with Rick Peckham and company.

Go Jackets.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Game could be either low scoring (2-1) or high scoring (7-5), I don't see much middle ground. Hopefully Tytuin and Big Vodka can keep Stamkos and Lecaviler in check

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:47 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
We should let them know how important this is. Can someone post this in the locker room, please?

Edit: Welcome back, mt-svk! Glad things worked out. Maybe Jf will stick around now.
Don: It only has to be important to me. Y'all are welcome to whatever floats, or in this case, sinks your boat.

Btw...I came to this conclusion after they fired Jacque Martin. If our record and fans deserve less consideration than the Canadien's, then by all means, stay the course.

I sure hope we win.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:03 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Don: It only has to be important to me. Y'all are welcome to whatever floats, or in this case, sinks your boat.

Btw...I came to this conclusion after they fired Jacque Martin. If our record and fans deserve less consideration than the Canadien's, then by all means, stay the course.

I sure hope we win.
Hollywood Hainsey once said of this franchise (following the booing in one game from the home fans) something along the lines of "This Ain't Montreal" (sort of questioning the booing)

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 12-17-2011 at 07:10 PM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Go Prospal

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:09 PM
MFRONE

Very cool for Fox Sports to show this

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:11 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Good for Vinny, the ceremony was kinda lame though

Old
12-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Yeah it was okay, but still probably the best part of the game. Tampa will win big.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:15 PM
baberg

Still plenty of good seats available at the Arena tonight... Man there's a lot of empty seats in the lower bowl...

baberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:16 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Only able to watch half of the game live before weekend plans kick in. Got it on Sun Sports though (blacked out on NHLCI because of that), so I get some great announcers in Peckham and Chief.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:21 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Great play by Nikitin