HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Martin Appreciation Thread

Old
12-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
How can you say that? The money this team has tied up in those players would have been spent somewhere else, and should have had better results for the money thrown around.

Spacek, Gomez and Cammy have never produced like they were paid for. This isn't entirely JM's fault either, he has never had a team built for the playoffs or to compliment his small forwards.
Burke thought he was going to throw a bunch of money around and buy a winner at the same time Montreal was getting those guys and what results did he get with his bag of money? Tyler Seguin to Boston, is what he got.

The torches were lit and pitchforks were sharpened at the start of this season, I think if we were that brutal for a full season or two waiting for the right guys to come on board things would of spiraled into a train wreck.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
You did a great job in the most thankless position in the league.
I know right? Making a couple million the last few years while doing a job you love, is a sacrifice no man should be thrown into. Borderline criminal if you ask me.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Toro

JM was a coach who made a living with a safe defensive system that relied heavily on his goaltending and his assistant coaches.

JM was very conservative and showed little flair or creativity.

He was not suited for the makeup of this team, hopefully Randy can bring out our strengths unlike JM.

Merry Christmas JM, now you have time to spend with your family.

Woot!!!!!

and to all who kept defending this guy, told you so....

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 12:31 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

He did good in his first two years so thank you for that. He just didn't adapt very well when it was needed to and it cost him his job.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Frankenheimer

He may have been a boring coach, but he was a very good playoff strategist. It wasn't just Halak that that got us to the EC, but Martin's adjustment from game to game that neutralized two powerful offensive juggernauts. Pretty much the most exciting Habs moments in the last decade was seeing our team turn Crosby/Ovechkin into cry babies.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
He may have been a boring coach, but he was a very good playoff strategist. It wasn't just Halak that that got us to the EC, but Martin's adjustment from game to game that neutralized two powerful offensive juggernauts. Pretty much the most exciting Habs moments in the last decade was seeing our team turn Crosby/Ovechkin into cry babies.
Here we go again with the playoffs. That was one season & Muller's special teams & Halak were the real playoff strategists.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:53 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

I will miss his post game interviews.

"Mmm oui euh non euh bien euh l'individu sera définitivement réévalué demain"

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 01:57 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out! Good Riddance!!!!
same here, hated the guy, will never coach in NHL again. The good news for him is that he will have to pay less alimony to his wife.
good riddance!!!!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:06 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
POOR GUY

I mean, what is he going to do with his 2 million $ termination pay-out...?

In other news, 50,000 children died of hunger this morning.......

I feel so bad for JM !!!
We're talking about a professional hockey coach who gave us two great seasons of hockey, all things taken into consideration. At the moment of his firing, he was definitely not well liked, but does this mean you ridicule his merits and start berating him about his salary and the clauses in his contract?

Some people never learn, and you might claim that you've been following this team for years and have seen better days, but you haven't matured a single day in your life and I can say that kids born a decade ago probably have more humility in them than you.

Thank you Jacques and I hope you find your way back in the NHL because you're a damn good coach and your system can win in the NHL. Good luck.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Here we go again with the playoffs. That was one season & Muller's special teams & Halak were the real playoff strategists.
Everyone, except for the guy who gives out the orders.

Going by your logic, I don't see how you can possibly blame Martin when he gives his veterans all the ice time and PP time to produce, and they give him nothing. He's just as fault here, as he was the key to our playoff success.

Jack Bourdain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
habitue*

He is "définitivement" gone !

Finally ....

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:12 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
I appreciate him leaving before the end of the year.
I second this. I will never appreciate what Martin did for the Habs.He did nothing but near screw up some of our up and comming good players.
Remember how he nearly ruined a Jason Spezza. It took Spezza a few yrs to get back on track but is finally proving he's a top notch center.
Good riddence to him.
P.K Eller and other young players will be able to now thrive under a new coach.Martin was always known to hold back good young players.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Joe Cole

When he arrived, he brought some legitimacy, and some strategy to the habs, because they were just improvising. The te had no structure, it was pathetic.

Then, as his system became solidified, we endured the boringness that is a "defensive first" passive system. It makes for boring hockey.

The habs simply do not have the players to won playing that type of game, and everyone realized it, especially thr players. The way they stopped responding was as clear as day.

The message was old, and in my opinion not suited to the roster.

As it stands, given thr current roster, you need to play an uptempo pressure game, use your speed.

Otherwise, for once and for all, get a big #1 center.

Thank you Jacques, but I am glad there is a chance to be excited by the Habs gameplay once again.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:24 PM
habitue*

The guy was so hardheaded... Took him a zillion lightyears to understand that some combos don't work at all.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 02:26 PM
JHabs61

He just didn't fit in Montreal. Good luck Jacques!

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:48 PM
NamberSixthy8

Jacques Martin was a good coach players are not at this time. I don`t know if its Jacques Martin who tought them to take slapshots from random position everytime they enter the zone instead of creating plays. I heard the interview with Mathieu Darche and it seems that the locker room is seperated in two. The ones who follow the systems and the ones that don`t. I would like to hear the comments of Camalleri or Gomez about JM being fired. I still think this action was only a mediatic response to the public. Conny said it himself it will be the same system nothing is going to change. Usually if you bring a new coach its to have new vision a new playstyle. I think the real solution for Montreal right now is if Gomez pulls his head out of his arse so maybe we can do the playoffs.

NamberSixthy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
We're talking about a professional hockey coach who gave us two great seasons of hockey, all things taken into consideration. At the moment of his firing, he was definitely not well liked, but does this mean you ridicule his merits and start berating him about his salary and the clauses in his contract?

Some people never learn, and you might claim that you've been following this team for years and have seen better days, but you haven't matured a single day in your life and I can say that kids born a decade ago probably have more humility in them than you.

Thank you Jacques and I hope you find your way back in the NHL because you're a damn good coach and your system can win in the NHL. Good luck.
Managers and executives who suck at "leading the pack" are ALWAYS hated to the ****ing core by their employees. Nobody likes them and they sure as hell won't "go to war" for them. There is no loyalty in such a relationship. Only spite and resentment.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Koivu2001

vCash: 350
Thanks Jaques....

for GTFO before christmas, really nice of you...

Koivu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:09 PM
WHY LIE GUY

Thought this was the JM appreciation thread? I'm pretty sure there are other threads open where you can rip on the guy.

Thanks for the memories, Jacques! You did well with a fairly mediocre and oft-injured team and in front of a mostly undeserving fanbase.

As for his 'boring' system. Can you imagine this current d-corps under a different system? Yikes. The best part is when people criticize him for his boring system, and then lament on how we let Boucher and his exciting 1-3-1 get away! Mind boggling.

Anyway, sometimes changes are made just for the sake of change. Excited to see where we go from here.

WHY LIE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:21 PM
pachorella

JM did a good job, he's presence was needed for the last 2 years. He had an effect on the players, he taught them not nothing is granted. He's a smart, experienced coach. I felt a change was needed but I also felt we needed to have a coach like JM as a transition period after having a non organized coach like Guy Carboneau.
Good luck for both JM and RC!
Excited for RC! wanna see his impact on the players.

pachorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I'm starting my own HF meme:

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:32 PM
hockey8888

hope you get a new job with the Bruin
pls don't forget to bring PG with you

hockey8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
wrong guy was fired today.

Prediction: Habs GAA will balloon. This thread will get bumped.
Habs Goals and Assists will balloon

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:17 PM
number72

When can we start the fire cunneyworth thread?

number72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:40 PM
Newhabfan

I hope you guys never get fired in your life. It sucks. Millions might help but it still sucks.

I thought this was an appreciation thread. I know there is no way to restrict access but appeal to common sense and decency (keep dreaming).

There are other threads for bashing - can you guys show a minimum of consideration for your fellow hFboarders and put this thread on your ignore list if you don't agree with the title or the content ? won't hurt you, I swear.

Anyways - some of my best moments as Habs fan happened during the JM coaching time. I wish him the best wherever he'll go. Just like I did for (almost) all ex Habs.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote