HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Martin Appreciation Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2011, 05:41 PM
  #76
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,560
vCash: 500
Martin was in charge of a team that went from piss-poor at even strength to above-average and at some points brilliant. A lot of that was personal changes and the emergence of even strength difference makers in Subban and Pacioretty but he presided over it. He also was there for Plekanec becoming one of the league's great two-way forwards and Gorges becoming a great defensive defensemen, progress which he doesn't seem to ever get credit for. Kostitsyn also became a decent defensive forward under Martin when he was hopeless under Carboneau.

The fanbase hated you for being boring, but the Montreal fanbase almost always dislikes the Head Coach as someone who only gets credited with failures while the players themselves get credit for success. And the goalie's contribution is always massively over-rated.

Finally, it can't be overstated how much of an improvement you were over Carboneau's rampant incompetence.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:43 PM
  #77
Young Gun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,245
vCash: 500
Glad to see him gone, don't think we have much better behind the bench right now.
Iwas hoping for crawford

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:59 PM
  #78
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
You won't find many here who will respect the work he did for this team, but I was glad to finally have an experienced bench boss with the Habs.
Agreed. In his 2.5 years behind the bench with the Habs, a 7 game Bruins-Habs series that ended in OT and an Eastern Conference Final appearance. Was nice to be part of it.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:08 PM
  #79
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,843
vCash: 500
He's advocating a NJ style of hockey that can win Cups. The problem is that he had the wrong players for that style of hockey.


Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 12-17-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:19 PM
  #80
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,643
vCash: 500
Conference final with a bunch of scrubbs.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 07:20 PM
  #81
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
Jack Bourdain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montréal, QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,109
vCash: 500
Again this is an appreciation thread, people who want to bash the man should let it be, there are other threads for that.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:38 PM
  #82
Nashy
The Honey Badger
 
Nashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,914
vCash: 500
Thanks JM....no one, not even you, can polish a turd.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:41 PM
  #83
Craig71
Registered User
 
Craig71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
I am willing to bet there will threads in the not too distant future which praise Martin and wish that he was still behind the bench.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:43 PM
  #84
Darch
Registered User
 
Darch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
JM and his style of play is THE reason this very average team had any success at all. Management is now telling the players that it's up to them to show they aren't total scrubs.

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:47 PM
  #85
koivu
Registered User
 
koivu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 250
vCash: 500
JM did a great job with the players he had - the team goes Downhill from here...
have a strong feeling won't make playoffs now without JM.

Timing was just stupid, I doubt JM wanted anything to do with Kaberle move, team falling apart.

Gauthier is such an idiot - I honestly hope the Habs go and lose like 10 in a row... thats the only way Gauthier gets chased out of town.

I want him out of here so bad - damn I miss Gainey !

koivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 08:49 PM
  #86
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Was my favourite Habs coach I ever got the pleasure of watching in a mature state.

I just hope the coach they hire in replacement is as good as he is.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:09 PM
  #87
TheRedKnight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Thanks for the deep playoff run Jacques, fun times.
The cool 2 million will help you forget all the stresses of Montreal.
Think of it as an early Christmas gift.

TheRedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:12 PM
  #88
TheRedKnight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
He's advocating a NJ style of hockey that can win Cups. The problem is that he had the wrong players for that style of hockey.
Exactly, I put blame on Gauthier for this, but at the same time Martin didn't adapt to the players he was given.

TheRedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:17 PM
  #89
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,706
vCash: 500
If you want to ***** and moan about Mr. Martin, please do it his own thread. Let the people who are sad he's gone and/or appreciative of his work express their feelings here.

If you can't do that, keep out.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:25 PM
  #90
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,189
vCash: 500
IMO he was a pretty good coach, put in a difficult situation it happened even to the best ones.

Conference finals, second best record in a regular season in the last 15 years (with 96 pts) almost eliminating the future stanley cup champion in one of the best serie I have seen, brought work ethic and structure to a team that needed that. He was from the start to the end a true professional.

Great long career in the NHL as a coach, assistant coach and GM and I wish him luck and to succeed if he continue his career or to be happy in his life if he retire. Thank you Jacques.

Now let's hope his replacement will be better and bring a little bit more emotions to the game.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:18 AM
  #91
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,684
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
IMO he was a pretty good coach, put in a difficult situation it happened even to the best ones.

Conference finals, second best record in a regular season in the last 15 years (with 96 pts) almost eliminating the future stanley cup champion in one of the best serie I have seen, brought work ethic and structure to a team that needed that. He was from the start to the end a true professional.

Great long career in the NHL as a coach, assistant coach and GM and I wish him luck and to succeed if he continue his career or to be happy in his life if he retire. Thank you Jacques.

Now let's hope his replacement will be better and bring a little bit more emotions to the game.
this. a hundred time this.

this is hockey, sometimes coaches get the shaft, that's how it is. he wasn't perfect but to belittle what he has done to this organization is intellectually dishonest

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:03 AM
  #92
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,952
vCash: 500
He gave up a gm's job to come to Montreal. I doubt that'll happen again anytime soon.

When I think how this team was outshot every night for years, relying on goaltending to have any prayer of winning and the structure he brought...they outchanced their opponent on most nights this year in my opinion.

But a coach is only as good as the roster he's given and most of the highest paid players on the team now appear to be on the decline.

I'm sure Jacques will land on his feet somewhere.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:16 AM
  #93
Matteus
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
All I'll say is that firing JM at this time was a useless move.
That's PG improvising to cover his aristocratic behind.

Matteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:44 AM
  #94
Ollie Williams
Registered User
 
Ollie Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,915
vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus View Post
All I'll say is that firing JM at this time was a useless move.
That's PG improvising to cover his aristocratic behind.
This. JM wasn't the problem and it will soon be exposed. Patience.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:54 AM
  #95
Jigger77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
This. JM wasn't the problem and it will soon be exposed. Patience.
Not only was he not the problem. He was what was giving this team identity and making it a hard team to play against. The second he walked in immediately we tightened up defensively and finally looked like there was a system. This year we were up near the tops of the league on the PK, blocking shots, 5 on 5 ratio and now our PP was looking up. We got at least one point in each of our games in December and the one we didn't Chris Lee shafted us. Not to mention how this team looked in the playoffs under JM. I've had time to mull this over and it's more depressing as time passes. And last night Darche gets double his icetime to boot. Just depressing beyond belief. We've just taken a step backwards. ****ing morons .


Last edited by Jigger77: 12-18-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:21 PM
  #96
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Not only was he not the problem. He was what was giving this team identity and making it a hard team to play against. The second he walked in immediately we tightened up defensively and finally looked like there was a system. This year we were up near the tops of the league on the PK, blocking shots, 5 on 5 ratio and now our PP was looking up. We got at least one point in each of our games in December and the one we didn't Chris Lee shafted us. Not to mention how this team looked in the playoffs under JM. I've had time to mull this over and it's more depressing as time passes. And last night Darche gets double his icetime to boot. Just depressing beyond belief. We've just taken a step backwards. ****ing morons .
I won't give Martin credit for much, if anything. He had a losing record while he was here so it couldn't have been THAT hard to play against us.

Sorry, but you are passing out accolades where none are due. Have you talked to ANYONE that has played for Martin in the past. He was stubborn, uncommunicative, unwilling to adapt, threw young players under the bus and that is only the start of the list.

He built his reputation on the back of an unbelievably talented team in Ottawa and a fluke playoff run on the back of Halak in Montreal. The second he walked in, we had a completely different lineup than we had before. You are comparing the play of two completely different rosters.

You make him take no responsibility for any of the team's failures and heap praise on him for the sliver of success that we had. He had to be at least partially responsible for where the team stand now, no?

And Darche last night? Take a look at the lineup. Who else was available?

You seem to have a blind obsession with Martin. And because posters disagree with you, they are morons?? I honestly can't figure out where you are coming from and it seems you are hoping for the team to fail to justify your position.

It's done. Martin is not the coach and I am moving on... happily, because what we were doing wasn't working.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
  #97
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
This. JM wasn't the problem and it will soon be exposed. Patience.
Oh please enlighten us, wise one

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:42 PM
  #98
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 9,684
vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I won't give Martin credit for much, if anything. He had a losing record while he was here so it couldn't have been THAT hard to play against us.

Sorry, but you are passing out accolades where none are due. Have you talked to ANYONE that has played for Martin in the past. He was stubborn, uncommunicative, unwilling to adapt, threw young players under the bus and that is only the start of the list.

He built his reputation on the back of an unbelievably talented team in Ottawa and a fluke playoff run on the back of Halak in Montreal. The second he walked in, we had a completely different lineup than we had before. You are comparing the play of two completely different rosters.

You make him take no responsibility for any of the team's failures and heap praise on him for the sliver of success that we had. He had to be at least partially responsible for where the team stand now, no?

And Darche last night? Take a look at the lineup. Who else was available?

You seem to have a blind obsession with Martin. And because posters disagree with you, they are morons?? I honestly can't figure out where you are coming from and it seems you are hoping for the team to fail to justify your position.

It's done. Martin is not the coach and I am moving on... happily, because what we were doing wasn't working.
this is the appreciation thread so kindly gtfo

where you see nothing but black, the reality is closer to shades of gray. if you honestly can't say one positive thing about martin then you probably need to rethink how you analyze the game.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:47 PM
  #99
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Conference final with a bunch of scrubbs.
LOL this.


Coaches are sacrificed here in Montreal for the GM's incompetence.

brb I traded a 50 pt player that I drafted and signed another 50 pts player for a much more expensive contract.

It's a vicious circle that's never going to end. We're gonna let Kostitsyn go and sign a 40 pts player for 5 years/30M.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:31 PM
  #100
swimmer77
What's an ROW?
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
JM definitely brought discipline and cohesiveness to a team that was in shambles. How he got the Habs to the ECF I'll never know. It was a newly assembled team, a newly assembled coaching staff and there were a ton of injuries to overcome. It was a lot of fun to watch though through the trials and tribulations.

This year the D was re-structured and again he thought he'd get to coach Andrei Markov. Only so much you can do with a bunch of bottom pairing d-men with the exception of Subban.

I don't think JM was doing too badly but it sounds like the dressing room was torn in half...........again. So much for your leadership core, huh? How many of them turned on you?

Thanks for your efforts JM and best of luck.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.