HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is it normal to want your team to lose?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
  #1
AreYouHockey
Registered User
 
AreYouHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Is it normal to want your team to lose?

Am I the only one who would like to see the Habs lose again tonight?

I am a diehard fan of this team, but I'm getting tired of all this.

A defensive system, a boring GM, a boring coach...

Always finishing 7th-8th and having no picks in the top 20.

If we have to lose 2 or 3 years to rebuild like the Pens, Caps and CHI did, I can wait, I don't care. But supporting a team with Darche on the powerplay is killing me.

What do you guys think?

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:57 AM
  #2
SnapVirus
Registered User
 
SnapVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mtl., QC.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
A defensive system, a boring GM, a boring coach...
You are right for the Coach. But as for the GM, last year we had the most active GM in the NHL in (trade). And it seems to be the case again this year. I don't think to move PG would be the best thing. Yes he didnt sign Hamrlik, but he couldn't know that Campoli, Spacek and Markov would be out for so long. And Yes Gill was a bad signing, but can you name me ONE Gm in the NHL who didnt made a bad call in the last 2 years? No ****in one.

SnapVirus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:02 AM
  #3
AreYouHockey
Registered User
 
AreYouHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
There are just too many bad moves in the last years for the few good ones. (Gainey and PG)

Kostitsyn for Ellis, Boyd.
Grabovski for 2nd.
Ribeiro for Niinimaa
McDonagh + Higgins for Gomez

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:02 AM
  #4
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,282
vCash: 500
From what i have read here over the last few days, i would say NO, you are not alone. But you don't have me on your bandwagon even if i would like the team to take a different direction coaching wise.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:03 AM
  #5
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
I think it's just too early to start thinking about drafting 1st overall 7 games in. You tell me the Habs are in this situation come February then I might agree with you but not after 7 games. We win tonight and the back to back against the Bruins and no one talks about this bad start anymore, let's just be a little patient the Tanking is way too early and the Blue Jackets seem to want it more, that team is just brutal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:04 AM
  #6
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
Am I the only one who would like to see the Habs lose again tonight?

I am a diehard fan of this team, but I'm getting tired of all this.

A defensive system, a boring GM, a boring coach...

Always finishing 7th-8th and having no picks in the top 20.

If we have to lose 2 or 3 years to rebuild like the Pens, Caps and CHI did, I can wait, I don't care. But supporting a team with Darche on the powerplay is killing me.

What do you guys think?
Is it normal for "normal" fans? NO

Is it normal for HF fans? YES

Nothing is fun on HF unless you have virtually no veterans and a pile of top prospects(see Florida Edmonton NY Islanders Ottawa).

By your definition it would suck to be a boston fan despite them winning the cup.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:06 AM
  #7
HabbyGilmore
Best man for the job
 
HabbyGilmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Saint John, NB Canda
Country: Canada
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HabbyGilmore
I knew Markov was going to be out again.. why couldn't he know this. Not saying Markov sucks or anything stupid like that but he's injury prone over the past 2-3 years.. and we should have never signed him again to 3 more years.. dumb..oh and FIRE MARTIN!

HabbyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:06 AM
  #8
AreYouHockey
Registered User
 
AreYouHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I think it's just too early to start thinking about drafting 1st overall 7 games in. You tell me the Habs are in this situation come February then I might agree with you but not after 7 games. We win tonight and the back to back against the Bruins and no one talks about this bad start anymore, let's just be a little patient the Tanking is way too early and the Blue Jackets seem to want it more, that team is just brutal
I agree with what you say about 3 wins in a row. But...

Do you want them to finish 8th again and see the same pattern year after year?

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:08 AM
  #9
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,354
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I want us to lose not for drafting 1st overall because it wont happen, but to see a Coaching/Trade that will push us forward in the direction we need to go.

and also PG is getting alot of Flack for what exactly? I can't say I've hated any of his moves, I'm actually pleasantly surprised with his moves.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:08 AM
  #10
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,701
vCash: 500
Short term pain for longterm gain?

I'm not a fan of our current coach/GM. I find the Habs to be incredibly boring to watch, and I don't see eye to eye with Gauthier on his model for the team.

If you told me 3 more losses and both go then i think i'd kind of be for it...but i still have my doubts that Gauthier will be gone. Martin, probably, but i think Gauthier's job is safe for now.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:09 AM
  #11
LesCanadiens
Registered User
 
LesCanadiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Okanagan Baby!
Posts: 2,822
vCash: 500
One word answer from me: No.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:11 AM
  #12
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
I agree with what you say about 3 wins in a row. But...

Do you want them to finish 8th again and see the same pattern year after year?
No I'm fed up of that as well but I do want to see them in the playoffs cause I really do believe anything is possible once the playoffs start. But if we are going to miss the playoffs, then I would rather we be sellers try to get picks and prospects back and be active during the summer and turn things around ASAP like the Flyers did a few years ago. Flyers finishing at the bottom getting JVR and making good moves didn't hurt them at all

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:12 AM
  #13
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,125
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
If you want changes, yes, it's normal to want your team to lose.

It's also normal to want your team to tank for a top draft pick rather than finish 9-10.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:18 AM
  #14
bentheprop
Registered User
 
bentheprop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
2 or 3 seasons of being at the bottom of the league to amass high draft picks can not happen in Montreal. We're not the ****in Leafs and being the doormats of the league will not be tolerated. The vast majority of our fans expect excellence and won't stand for it. Let alone the media.

As for a 10-20 game skid to get JM out of here, I'm all for that. I haven't liked him since he was hired.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
  #15
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,125
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
2 or 3 seasons of being at the bottom of the league to amass high draft picks can not happen in Montreal. We're not the ****in Leafs and being the doormats of the league will not be tolerated. The vast majority of our fans expect excellence and won't stand for it. Let alone the media.

As for a 10-20 game skid to get JM out of here, I'm all for that. I haven't liked him since he was hired.
What about 1 season? Getting a Yakupov or Grigorenko and finally having a legit superstar?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
  #16
Sports1131
Registered User
 
Sports1131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston/Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,169
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Short term pain for longterm gain?

I'm not a fan of our current coach/GM. I find the Habs to be incredibly boring to watch, and I don't see eye to eye with Gauthier on his model for the team.

If you told me 3 more losses and both go then i think i'd kind of be for it...but i still have my doubts that Gauthier will be gone. Martin, probably, but i think Gauthier's job is safe for now.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'll never support the idea of "tanking" because I that basically throws away a few seasons and I don't think it would be nearly as rewarding to win because you sucked long enough to get the best young players handed to you, but I'm ready for this era of Canadiens hockey to end.

This team has very little personality (especially in the coaching staff and above), is not constructed with the right principles in mind, and most importantly they simply aren't very exciting to watch most of the time. I can handle losing for awhile -- I was a HUGE Expos fan after all -- but at least make the games interesting. Other than our playoff run a couple of years ago that just hasn't been there. If I'm watching on TV I almost always let the game go on in the background while I do something else; that never used to happen. It's just not fun to see the team play so passively night after night.

I have definitely not given up on the season, but if losing out this week means a completely new identity I'll take it.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
  #17
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What about 1 season? Getting a Yakupov or Grigorenko and finally having a legit superstar?
Problem is we really need to be in the bottom 3 for that, with the team we have I doubt it happens. unless we start trading all our veterans as of now. Something like the Flyers did would be great

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:27 AM
  #18
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton
 
SmurfsFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
2 or 3 seasons of being at the bottom of the league to amass high draft picks can not happen in Montreal. We're not the ****in Leafs and being the doormats of the league will not be tolerated. The vast majority of our fans expect excellence and won't stand for it. Let alone the media.

As for a 10-20 game skid to get JM out of here, I'm all for that. I haven't liked him since he was hired.
lol

And what is gonna prevent the Habs to tank if they really suck this bad this year ? It's not like the fans can do anything, other than whining or cheering.

I'm one of those that think if they can't make the POs, might as well finish rock bottom.

SmurfsFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:28 AM
  #19
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan
 
HardcoreHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kingston, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 816
vCash: 835
No, it's not normal to want your team to lose. Granted, you're right about everything, but cheering anyone or anything towards failure is anything but normal .I can see it though. The idea of being bad for awhile in order to eventually be good rather than be endlessly average.

It's easy to second guess organizational moves, but the scale is tipped (way over) in the majority of this organization's moves. With Ribeiro, Grabovski and Kostitsyn (and probably Latendresse), the team just gave up way too much for the return received. A team can't afford to keep making bad deals like that and trying to bandaid the mistake with an overpriced free-agent. Eventually it will bite most teams in the arse.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:34 AM
  #20
AreYouHockey
Registered User
 
AreYouHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Problem is we really need to be in the bottom 3 for that, with the team we have I doubt it happens. unless we start trading all our veterans as of now. Something like the Flyers did would be great
Yeah but can we get half the return? Probly doesn't worth it.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:35 AM
  #21
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,125
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Problem is we really need to be in the bottom 3 for that, with the team we have I doubt it happens. unless we start trading all our veterans as of now. Something like the Flyers did would be great
Here is what I would protect -
Plekanec
Cammalleri (unless someone offers a 1st + top prospect)
Pacioretty
Kostitsyn
Eller
Markov
Subban
Gorges
Price

Any one else on the roster can be had. Gomez, Spacek, Moen, Gionta, Gill, Cole. Cammy and Kostitsyn would be available for overpayments.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:35 AM
  #22
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 50
I am a Habs fan. I want the Stanley Cup. That means they must make the playoffs. I don't care that Chi, Pit, and Wash all became powerhouses by sucking for years. Tanking is for loser organizations.

BTW we had our chance to suck in the late 90's, early 00's and just couldn't quite suck bad enough.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:36 AM
  #23
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
There are just too many bad moves in the last years for the few good ones. (Gainey and PG)

Kostitsyn for Ellis, Boyd.
Grabovski for 2nd.
Ribeiro for Niinimaa
McDonagh + Higgins for Gomez
Kostitsyn needed to be traded! Trust me, there were things about this "kid" on and off the ice that were toxic to the team and his brother.

Grabovski was traded for Greg Pateryn and a 2nd round draft pick, the 2nd round draft pick turned into a trade for James Wisniewski (whom without we would of never made the playoffs last season), and Grabovski was a player who constantly missed practice, team meetings and trips because he was "disgruntled", do you really want him in Montreal?

Ribeiro for Niinimaa came from higher up! Long story short, off ice problems with him and an ego bigger than the team.

The Gomez trade in my opinion was VERY bad, not because Gomez at the time was a bad choice, but because we traded McDonagh to the Rangers who right now, could easily be Montreal's top two defenseman.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:37 AM
  #24
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I am a Habs fan. I want the Stanley Cup. That means they must make the playoffs. I don't care that Chi, Pit, and Wash all became powerhouses by sucking for years. Tanking is for loser organizations.
Well 2 of those 3 organizations have won Cups!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:39 AM
  #25
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Here is what I would protect -
Plekanec
Cammalleri (unless someone offers a 1st + top prospect)
Pacioretty
Kostitsyn
Eller
Markov
Subban
Gorges
Price

Any one else on the roster can be had. Gomez, Spacek, Moen, Gionta, Gill, Cole. Cammy and Kostitsyn would be available for overpayments.
Pretty much the same list as I made the other night, only player I had different is i kept Gionta and listed Kostitsyn. keep a winner and good mentor in Gionta unless a team really overpays for him. Kostitsyn will be close to 4 million in his next contract, not sure he will be worth that so I would move him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.