HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cunneyworth named interim Head Coach/Carrière Assistant Coach

View Poll Results: What traits do you want for next coach?
Hire from within the organization 1 2.00%
Play offense and don't sit 20 40.00%
Must be bilingual 3 6.00%
Keep the defensive system 1 2.00%
Hire the best coach available 42 84.00%
Play in your face hockey w / forechecking 22 44.00%
Keep a fighter in the lineup and play him 5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Yeah sure... like the only 2nd language one can learn is english, right...
Well if people refuses to learn english for whatever reason, it should not be our problem nor the Habs problem. If they insist to know what the coach says live, well they should start learning the universal language.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
This argument is horrible. They sound as if the hockey players don't matter and that the fans is the only thing that's important in hockey.
Of course those teams wouldn't hire a unilingual french coach...because the language of hockey(practises, head office etc) is always english.

Old
12-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
It is an orthodox line structuring because it has been shown to be highly effective in winning Stanley Cups.

Do we have the personnel in Montreal to do this? No. Not close. That is why I was an advocate of Martin to be fired because he would not want a team like this. I am also advocating Gauthier being fired because he does not want a team like this.

Boston is on fire right now. They are simply doing the same things that the Cup winning Habs used to do. They have skill and enough toughness to proactively change momentum in games instead of being reactive.

Mathman cannot relate to this because there is no statistic for confidence. Confidence from your top three lines knowing that there are players on the team who will not allow the crap that they put up with now.

A tough confident team that plays an aggressive puck attacking style of hockey. Exactly what Boston is doing right now.
How do you know what kind of team PG wants?

When he was named GM martin was already there, hired by Gainey and he didn't have a big desire to play "tough guys" unless they could play a regular shift(Moen for example).

Why would PG go sign a tough guy if his coach doesn't want one?

Old
12-18-2011, 07:30 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Well if people refuses to learn english for whatever reason, it should not be our problem nor the Habs problem. If they insist to know what the coach says live, well they should start learning the universal language.
and for you the reason is : being lazy

Old
12-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Mr. Hab

The only french word any habs coach should be forced to learn is...

VICTOIRE!! (victory).

I'm actually not against a coach trying to learn french but I wouldn't get all miserable and forceful about it...for my Habs coach the main focus should be winning or getting the team to play as well as they can (motivate them, coach them, outcoach the other coach,etc...). Coach Randy should spend his time on improving the team. For the record I'm perfectly bilingual but I'd rather talk about our Habs finding a way to win instead of the french language.

We need some wins and those miserable ''language police people'' should just wait for their Nordiques so they can se fermer leur maudite grosse gueule deprimantes...french this, french that...****!! A language will sustain by itself (if it's good enough to it will), IF you have to force someone there is something wrong and it's so regime-like...so insecure, so depressing, so forceful. I just want more victories for my Habs/Canadiens. Can't wait for Les Nordiques to come back so these VERY miserable ''language police people'' can hire Michel Bergeron or Jean Perron if they want, but leave our Habs alone. Forcing someone to learn a language. Most people learn Italian, Spanish, French, English because they want to and enjoy learning it, not because they were forced to by miserable language police...so depressing these people and so insecure about losing a language (if something is good it will last and not preserved by force).

Maybe other NHL teams shouldn't hire french Quebecois coaches? But they just care about hiring the right coach (Claude Julien, Vigneault, Boucher, Demers as former Detroit coach, Therrien as former Pens coach, etc...).

In the end I'd much prefer talking about how well our Habs are doing and about Team Canada at WJC (and all of our Hab prospects ). And, good luck to our new coach Randy Cunneyworth and hope our Habs get on a winning streak .

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-19-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old
12-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Why should this team make a favor to those lazy people that refuses to learn a second language? It's ****ing English not Chinese. They should encourage the population to learn English instead of make them think French is the only language in the world.
Okay, I had to. It's absolutely perfect

Why should this team make a favor (sic) for those lazy people that refuses (sic) to learn a second language? It's ****ing French not Chinese. They should encourage the population to learn French instead of make them think (sic) English is the only language in the world.

Oh thank for the hilarity HF, you made my night.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:26 PM
MXD

I'm kindof neutral on this issue.

But this board -- definitely not Pro-French as a whole -- has to realize something.

You guys are the minority.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:35 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Umm no they shouldn't. They have every right to learn or not learn whatever language they want. I think it's an obligation for the organization to have media pressers, statements and such in French. Hence a translator or a Québecois asst. coach would be ideal IF the head coach can't hold an interview in French.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic into language and culture here.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post

But this board -- definitely not Pro-French as a whole -- has to realize something.

No question about that but I think most hockey/Habs fans would not mind having a coach that does not speak french but when it comes to the Habs, its not only about. Of course if the media makes a poll, the population will rather have a bilingual coach.

I kinda feel bad for Cunneyworth, its gonna be hard on him. The whole province is already criticizing him, the media is on him and if the team continues to struggle, the fans are gonna be all over him. I would not be surprised to see a replacement before the season ends. The pressure will be too strong.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Ginu

They should send these French journalists the results of this pole and it's whopping 6% in favour of bilingualism over hockey-first coaching. Sure the results are biased because this is an English board, but it would require a pretty significant opposite result, with a significant majority preferring bilingualism as the top trait, for it to form the base of their argument.

Old
12-18-2011, 10:55 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Funny, sad and true all at the same time.
i understand what you want but it's laughable that you are asking for shultz and henry to be called up. both are not good enough to play in the nhl and it's not even debatable. and henry might actually be slower than hal gill if that's even possible...

you admire the bruins 4th line - all three of those guys can play the game by the way - so your answer is to call up two guys that can't play?

shultz.... come on man, do you know these guys or all you see is height, weight and PIMS?

Old
12-18-2011, 11:56 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post

Does history record a single instance in which the majority was correct?

Old
12-19-2011, 12:11 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Does history record a single instance in which the majority was correct?
in this case it's not important if they are correct or not, they dont have to be, if the majority of your customers asks for something (something reasonable of course), it's smart business to accomodate them...

Old
12-19-2011, 12:16 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
in this case it's not important if they are correct or not, they dont have to be, if the majority of your customers asks for something (something reasonable of course), it's smart business to accomodate them...
Asking for Cunneyworth to be fired the day after he's hired is certainly reasonable.

You and I both know that montrealers aren't going to do **** about this beyond a few crazies not buying Molson beer. They figure they'll stick to Unibroue. Woops.

Do you know what's going to make them stop coming to games, though? Losing.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:16 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
The only french word any habs coach should be forced to learn is...

VICTOIRE!! (victory).

I'm actually not against a coach trying to learn french but I wouldn't get all miserable and forceful about it...for my Habs coach the main focus should be winning or getting the team to play as well as they can (motivate them, coach them, outcoach the other coach,etc...). Coach Randy should spend his time on improving the team. For the record I'm perfectly bilingual but I'd rather talk about our Habs finding a way to win instead of the french language.

We need some wins and those miserable ''language police people'' should just wait for their Nordiques so they can se fermer leur maudite grosse gueule deprimantes...french this, french that...****!! A language will sustain by itself (if it's good enough to it will), IF you have to force someone there is something wrong and it's so regime-like...so insecure, so depressing, so forceful. I just want more victories for my Habs/Canadiens. Can't wait for Les Nordiques to come back so these VERY miserable ''language police people'' can hire Michel Bergeron or Jean Perron if they want, but leave our Habs alone. Forcing someone to learn a language. Most people learn Italian, Spanish, French, English because they want to and enjoy learning it, not because they were forced to by miserable language police...so depressing these people and so insecure about losing a language (if something is good it will last and not preserved by force).

Maybe other NHL teams shouldn't hire french Quebecois coaches? But they just care about hiring the right coach (Claude Julien, Vigneault, Boucher, Demers as former Detroit coach, Therrien as former Pens coach, etc...).

In the end I'd much prefer talking about how well our Habs are doing and about Team Canada at WJC (and all of our Hab prospects ). And, good luck to our new coach Randy Cunneyworth and hope our Habs get on a winning streak .
couldnt be more wrong, no one learn english cause they think it's fun or exotic, most do cause they,re too insecure and dont believe they're good enough to make a living in a different language.

And while it may be important, the ONLY reason people learn english is for work/business.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:19 AM
ROSSter

Montreal has really evolved in the last 20 years into a more english friendly environment. I speak french, have been my entire life. I have cousins whom had two french speaking parents at home, that speak english just as much as french. (no they aren't losing their french heritage and culture). This argument that language should even be considered is totally backwards. The goal of a sport is winning, winning has nothing to do with language.

If a doctor were to operate on you, would you want the best doctor for the job, or one that spoke your language?

Old
12-19-2011, 12:24 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Asking for Cunneyworth to be fired the day after he's hired is certainly reasonable.

You and I both know that montrealers aren't going to do **** about this beyond a few crazies not buying Molson beer. They figure they'll stick to Unibroue. Woops.

Do you know what's going to make them stop coming to games, though? Losing.
PG knew what he was doing, it's his job to fix whatever may be wrong with his staff... same for Cunneyworth, he very well knew it would come to this when he signed to coach the Dogs, that him being promoted would cause sort of a mess... I sure not going to cry cause of the added stress, if they're not strong enough mentally, they can all resign.

besides, you may not have noticed, but the "journalists" complaining about the issue happen to be working for french speaking medias who in turn happen to sell copies to a french speaking audience... what in hell do expect them to say on the matter., seriously...

Old
12-19-2011, 12:25 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSter View Post
Montreal has really evolved in the last 20 years into a more english friendly environment. I speak french, have been my entire life. I have cousins whom had two french speaking parents at home, that speak english just as much as french. (no they aren't losing their french heritage and culture). This argument that language should even be considered is totally backwards. The goal of a sport is winning, winning has nothing to do with language.

If a doctor were to operate on you, would you want the best doctor for the job, or one that spoke your language?
huh... bad, bad, bad analogy...

Old
12-19-2011, 12:32 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
PG knew what he was doing, it's his job to fix whatever may be wrong with his staff... same for Cunneyworth, he very well knew it would come to this when he signed to coach the Dogs, that him being promoted would cause sort of a mess... I sure not going to cry cause of the added stress, if they're not strong enough mentally, they can all resign.
I'm sure he's not stressed at all, given that he knows no one is going to do anything of consequence to the club's bottom line.

His bottom line is does he think Randy can win. And if he can, I'm absolutely certain that this will blow over.

...maybe not for Pauline Marois, but...you know...

Quote:
besides, you may not have noticed, but the "journalists" complaining about the issue happen to be working for french speaking medias who in turn happen to sell copies to a french speaking audience... what in hell do expect them to say on the matter., seriously...
You're quite right: how dare I expect some sort of sense and sensibility coming from Montreal's media.

What do I expect? I expect people to calm down, grow up, and see it for the big deal that this isn't. Perhaps I expected them to not react like xenophobic, ethnocentric morons, and give Randy a chance.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:33 AM
ROSSter

Quote:
huh... bad, bad, bad analogy...
Not really, surgeons dont communicate that much with a patient, kinda like a coach and the media....

Old
12-19-2011, 12:35 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
couldnt be more wrong, no one learn english cause they think it's fun or exotic, most do cause they,re too insecure and dont believe they're good enough to make a living in a different language.

And while it may be important, the ONLY reason people learn english is for work/business.
What a joke of a post this is. Am I to take this to mean that you yourself are insecure?

I'm absolutely certain that someone learned english so they could read the English classics in their original language. In fact, I know one person who learned English in this exact way.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:08 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
What a joke of a post this is. Am I to take this to mean that you yourself are insecure?

I'm absolutely certain that someone learned english so they could read the English classics in their original language. In fact, I know one person who learned English in this exact way.
haha! considering I made the conscious decision to go work in places 100% french a few years ago, I dont think so... I'm making more $ since, so... yeah! that's how insecure I am.

exactly, you know ONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSter View Post
Not really, surgeons dont communicate that much with a patient, kinda like a coach and the media....
you go to Doctors cause you have to, doubt you watch the Habs cause you have to.

Last edited by overlords: 12-19-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old
12-19-2011, 01:13 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
What do I expect? I expect people to calm down, grow up, and see it for the big deal that this isn't. Perhaps I expected them to not react like xenophobic, ethnocentric morons, and give Randy a chance.
- I dont care if he speak Russian
- I dont care if the coach speak at all
- language doesnt matter to me
- hell he could be Chinese I wouldnt mind
- OMFG some people would like a french speaking coach!!! OH NOOOOO!!!

that's pretty much the reactions to this "non issue"... I hope it's not the kind of growing up you're expecting

Old
12-19-2011, 01:24 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
- I dont care if he speak Russian
- I dont care if the coach speak at all
- language doesnt matter to me
- hell he could be Chinese I wouldnt mind
- OMFG some people would like a french speaking coach!!! OH NOOOOO!!!

that's pretty much the reactions to this "non issue"... I hope it's not the kind of growing up you're expecting
You're missing the point, whether on purpose or not, I can't tell. Most people really wanted Boucher as the new head coach. Nobody has a problem with coaches speaking french, they have a problem with the team being forced into only choosing bilingual coaches.

French is my mother tongue, although I did most of my schooling in english due to a hectic family situation, I identify with my Québécois heritage and am proud of where I come from. The habs greatness for me represents how the famous language barrier here could be transcended and how Anglo and Franco could put it all aside to make something legendary. I think that for all the Habs have given our culture already, they need to be cut some slack. They've struggled for almost two decades now. If they have a chance to be competitive without a French speaking head coach, then great. Our culture will be better for it in the end to see our habs win another cup. If that coach can either speak French from the beginning or learn it as he goes on, even better.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:38 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Here's the best interview I've heard so far about the hiring of Cunneyworth. It's an interview given by Serge Savard, Half of Famer, the last GM who succeeded at making this team a winning team. (2 cups and one Stanley Cup final, 4 division titles) Also a very successful businessman who knows how to run a business in a French speaking environment.

Basically, he calls the hiring of an unilingual anglophone a major mistake. Something that would have been unthinkable in his time.

Closed Thread