HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Cunneyworth named interim Head Coach/Carrière Assistant Coach

View Poll Results: What traits do you want for next coach?
Hire from within the organization 1 2.00%
Play offense and don't sit 20 40.00%
Must be bilingual 3 6.00%
Keep the defensive system 1 2.00%
Hire the best coach available 42 84.00%
Play in your face hockey w / forechecking 22 44.00%
Keep a fighter in the lineup and play him 5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2011, 01:51 AM
  #351
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You're missing the point, whether on purpose or not, I can't tell. Most people really wanted Boucher as the new head coach. Nobody has a problem with coaches speaking french, they have a problem with the team being forced into only choosing bilingual coaches.

French is my mother tongue, although I did most of my schooling in english due to a hectic family situation, I identify with my Québécois heritage and am proud of where I come from. The habs greatness for me represents how the famous language barrier here could be transcended and how Anglo and Franco could put it all aside to make something legendary. I think that for all the Habs have given our culture already, they need to be cut some slack. They've struggled for almost two decades now. If they have a chance to be competitive without a French speaking head coach, then great. Our culture will be better for it in the end to see our habs win another cup. If that coach can either speak French from the beginning or learn it as he goes on, even better.
meh, most of them couldnt tell who's the last unilingual coach to win a Cup for the Habs...

but they do remember Demers, Perron, Lemaire, Bowman... they also know about Julien or Hartley winning the cup, as well as Vigneault or Therrien going to the SCF...

and a vast majority would (have) like Boucher or Roy at the helm...


but they'll make sure to remind you that having to choose someone who know french will limit the Habs in some way

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 01:52 AM
  #352
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Another article.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...1_accueil_POS1

Who are they to speak for the fans. They say the fans will eventually lose interest to the team because the coach can't speak French. I mean really? The game is played on the ice, not in front of the mic. I want the team to win, that's all that matters.

They also say that it would be unacceptable for a team like the Leafs to have a unilingual francophone coach. What a dumb statement. There's is no ****ing hockey coach in this league that don't speak english.

Why should this team make a favor to those lazy people that refuses to learn a second language? It's ****ing English not Chinese. They should encourage the population to learn English instead of make them think French is the only language in the world.
This is an incredibly insulting post , and an incredibly ironic one.

You realize the % of bilingual quebecois is probably way higher than english-canadians right? You also realize if you don't make favors to the fan , then no point in making favors for the coach.

Anyway , Roy said he'll listen , so he better receive a phone call soon.

What I see in there is a bunch of anglos defending Cunneyworth for all the wrong reasons , using him in their cause to try to shut up the hundreds of thousands if not millions ( debatable in that case ) of quebecois that would like their coach to be one of theirs and speak their language.Their strongest argument over the years was ''why does he need to speak french? you take the best man available''.No problem there.But when you have a Patrick Roy waiting for a phone call and you put Randy ****ing Cunneyworth out there it's just unacceptable.Sa passe pas.

You guys need to realize something , this is the quebecois ( or I should say French-Canadian ) team , sure there's a lot of anglophone fans , but this team was made for us , the name of the team is in french , the team has tradition and has more meaning than just a simple hockey club.It is part of our pride as french-canadian to have the most successful hockey team of all-time , led by french-canadian legends for the most part in every level of the organization.But again , there's some great anglophones that were part of this tradition and the vast majority of them speaks a little bit of french and were very important for the team.Just have to think about Dryden , Robinson ect...Is french harder to learn nowadays? I don't think so.

Le Club De Hockey Canadien was always fair with their anglo fans.These issues comes with the territory , the tradition was there way before you became a fan , so you have only yourself to blame if you can't understand it.


Last edited by Jafar: 12-19-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Jafar is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 01:54 AM
  #353
Bloumeister
Certifiable
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: in a padded cell
Posts: 5,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You're missing the point, whether on purpose or not, I can't tell. Most people really wanted Boucher as the new head coach. Nobody has a problem with coaches speaking french, they have a problem with the team being forced into only choosing bilingual coaches.

French is my mother tongue, although I did most of my schooling in english due to a hectic family situation, I identify with my Québécois heritage and am proud of where I come from. The habs greatness for me represents how the famous language barrier here could be transcended and how Anglo and Franco could put it all aside to make something legendary. I think that for all the Habs have given our culture already, they need to be cut some slack. They've struggled for almost two decades now. If they have a chance to be competitive without a French speaking head coach, then great. Our culture will be better for it in the end to see our habs win another cup. If that coach can either speak French from the beginning or learn it as he goes on, even better.
Well put. Probably the most sensible post on the subject so far. One might agree or beg to differ, but the team's competitiveness should ultimately always come first. Sadly, as you pointed out, Habs have struggled for what seems like forever for a guy like me who's had the chance of growing up witnessing multiple Cup wins (albeit at a young age), so all the more reason NOT to cut the team any slack.

I only hope that Habs management has a plan. (THINK BIG, 'STIE!!!) I'm hardly convinced they do, but I'm willing to give Geoff Molson a chance to show how proud he is of being the keeper of Les Canadiens de Montréal's heritage.

Bloumeister is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 02:15 AM
  #354
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 50
Another way to look at it , to make it in the NHL french-canadian coaches have to learn english , but to make it in Montreal , anglo coaches have to learn french.

Unfair or not this is the reality.

Jafar is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 02:23 AM
  #355
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
haha! considering I made the conscious decision to go work in places 100% french a few years ago, I dont think so... I'm making more $ since, so... yeah! that's how insecure I am.
You're so secure that you decided to avoid English altogether because of your obvious inferiority complex? Yeah, you sound seriously secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
exactly, you know ONE.
I don't understand how someone so proud of their french heritage could insult the legacy of Voltaire, Diderot, Rousseau, Fermat, Pascal, Fourier, Lagrange, Laplace, Poisson, Sartre and Foucault with such stupidity.

I very clearly said to you that I know one person who learned English by reading, and translating the classics of English literature: not that I know only one person who learned English for some purpose other than work/business.

Here are some other reasons you might want to learn English other than business/work: movies, t.v., sports, world news, general interest, to pick up chicks, because it's generally everywhere because the english were more successful in commerce and colonization than the french. But none of that fits into your nationalistic, quebecois-supremacist world-view, now does it?

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 02:44 AM
  #356
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
You're so secure that you decided to avoid English altogether because of your obvious inferiority complex? Yeah, you sound seriously secure.



I don't understand how someone so proud of their french heritage could insult the memory of Voltaire, Diderot, Rousseau, Fermat, Pascal, Fourier, Lagrange, Laplace, Poisson, Sartre and Foucault with such stupidity.

I very clearly said to you that I know one person who learned English by reading, and translating the classics of English literature: not that I know only one person who learned English for some purpose other than work/business.

Here are some other reasons you might want to learn English other than business/work: movies, t.v., sports, world news, general interest, to pick up chicks, because it's generally everywhere because the english were more successful in commerce and colonization than the french. But none of that fits into your nationalistic, quebecois-supremacist world-view, now does it?
huh... no, I didnt decide to avoid english (nor did I decide to avoid Italian or Greek by the way), I just decided to focus on french (please tell me you're smart enough to know the difference)...

haha! besides, why would I want to deal with english man/woman at work, most dont tip well



Nowhere did I insult anyone... nowhere.

believe or not I dont despise the englishmen either, I just happen to think they're no better / no worse than the frenchmen, or Greeks, or Italians...



just so you know, it's very possible to watch movies in french - including american movies, and it's also very possible to get world news in other languages, same for sports (seriously, search for something, anything, I guarantee I'll find the same in another language)... so yeah, english being the only language you know I get that you think it's that important... but reality is, most could do without (scary huh?)...



well I went to the Qc-supremacist convention on St Jean Baptiste blvd ( ) last week but at the door they asked me for ID... they didnt let me in ( tried hard, even said ********! ) - at least they didnt tell me to go back to my country...

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 02:45 AM
  #357
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Another way to look at it , to make it in the NHL french-canadian coaches have to learn english , but to make it in Montreal , anglo coaches have to learn french.

Unfair or not this is the reality.
Just like all the unilingual anglo coaches that have already coached the habs to stanley cups?

It is not the reality. It wasn't under Toe Blake, and it isn't now.

Don't worry, the yotes will move to Quebec city soon enough. You can go cheer for them after they hire Lucien Bouchard as GM.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 02:53 AM
  #358
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
huh... no, I didnt decide to avoid english (nor did I decide to avoid Italian or Greek by the way), I just decided to focus on french (please tell me you're smart enough to know the difference)...

haha! besides, why would I want to deal with english man/woman at work, most dont tip well
I'm shocked you work in the food service industry. Shocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Nowhere did I insult anyone... nowhere.

believe or not I dont despise the englishmen either, I just happen to think they're no better / no worse than the frenchmen, or Greeks, or Italians...
You are very insulting, but you're just too stupid to realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
just so you know, it's very possible to watch movies in french - including american movies, and it's also very possible to get world news in other languages, same for sports (seriously, search for something, anything, I guarantee I'll find the same in another language)... so yeah, english being the only language you know I get that you think it's that important... but reality is, most could do without (scary huh?)...
Lol, you are nothing but a troll, and an awful one at that.

Again, Voltaire is rolling in his grave. Nowhere did I say you could only get these things in English. The correct inference to draw is that some people may wish to choose to enjoy these things in the original language they were conceived in.

You just can't bring yourself to admit that people would choose to learn english out of something other than necessity.

It's sad, honestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
well I went to the Qc-supremacist convention on St Jean Baptiste blvd ( ) last week but at the door they asked me for ID... they didnt let me in ( tried hard, even said ********! ) - at least they didnt tell me to go back to my country...
Well that's very funny, but that doesn't change what you are.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 03:03 AM
  #359
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups
 
Metropolitsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post

Don't worry, the yotes will move to Quebec city soon enough. You can go cheer for them after they hire Lucien Bouchard as GM.

Hey let me try too

I hope the maroons could come back so all the anti-franco could have a team to cheer for

wow that was easy

Metropolitsky is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 03:06 AM
  #360
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Hey let me try too

I hope the maroons could come back so all the anti-franco could have a team to cheer for

wow that was easy
Mine was way better.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 03:07 AM
  #361
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups
 
Metropolitsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,414
vCash: 500
They offer you a big job with big responsability and big money and a chance to make a name for yourself. One of the requirement : learn a second language.

If you are too lazy or stubborn to do it

Metropolitsky is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 03:22 AM
  #362
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
They offer you a big job with big responsability and big money and a chance to make a name for yourself. One of the requirement : learn a second language.

If you are too lazy or stubborn to do it
In my case, it wouldn't be a problem. I already speak it, write it, and understand it. I'm working on my third as we speak, for ***** n gigs.

But that's not the issue here: one day after Randy was hired, people were calling for a boycott of Molson products, and for Randy to be fired.

If you can say that you would hire whoever the most qualified person was irrespective of their language, then we are in agreement.

I am arguing against people who say that the coach must, invariably, speak french in order to get the job. On one side we have anglos and plenty of francos saying "hire anyone, including a franco, so long as they are the best." On the other, we have people saying "hire anyone but a unilingual anglo."

That's the issue.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 03:26 AM
  #363
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I'm shocked you work in the food service industry. Shocked.
I dont, I work in the alcohol industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
You are very insulting, but you're just too stupid to realize it.
see, THAT's an insult.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
You just can't bring yourself to admit that people would choose to learn english out of something other than necessity.
considering you know ONE person who did that...


Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Well that's very funny, but that doesn't change what you are.
lemme guess...

- getting balder by the day
- beer belly
- snowbird
- wear Qc/Canada flag shorts when going to the beach
- wear an old Expos wintercoat with a Habs tuque

am I missing something or did I describe myself perfectly ?



what's funny in what I wrote ? are you saying it's fun to slam door at someone's face cause he isnt white or look down at someone who's not "de souche" ? THAT's funny to you ? ? ?

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 03:27 AM
  #364
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
In my case, it wouldn't be a problem. I already speak it, write it, and understand it. I'm working on my third as we speak, for ***** n gigs.

But that's not the issue here: one day after Randy was hired, people were calling for a boycott of Molson products, and for Randy to be fired.

If you can say that you would hire whoever the most qualified person was irrespective of their language, then we are in agreement.

I am arguing against people who say that the coach must, invariably, speak french in order to get the job. On one side we have anglos and plenty of francos saying "hire anyone, including a franco, so long as they are the best." On the other, we have people saying "hire anyone but a unilingual anglo."

That's the issue.
pretty sure some would be against an unilingual Russian too... you know...

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 03:30 AM
  #365
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
pretty sure some would be against an unilingual Russian too... you know...
What would be different, is that those people would actually have a point.

You don't.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 03:32 AM
  #366
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
What would be different, is that those people would actually have a point.

You don't.

meh, as long as the players understand, there shouldnt be a problem...

I mean, Emelin have no clue what coaches are saying and he's doin' a'right

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 04:10 AM
  #367
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
couldnt be more wrong, no one learn english cause they think it's fun or exotic, most do cause they,re too insecure and dont believe they're good enough to make a living in a different language.

And while it may be important, the ONLY reason people learn english is for work/business.

You're extremely close-minded.

So... you don't want to meet anyone that doesn't speak French?

And here I thought opening up to multiple languages was a path to learning other cultures and meeting more people, widening the knowledge base available to me and making me aware of how little different we are at the core and how those different cultures and languages are just barriers blocking humans from a better understanding of each other.

You know why I learned both French and English as a child? Because my father thought it would help me have a better overall view of the world. Not just for business, but simply because I would have a lot more available to me, whether it came to meeting people, reading books, learning, watching movies/tv and yes, jobs too. I thank him for it, cause he could've simply settle on one of the two, but never did. When people who are born here can't tolerate an English-only coach, it's just a sign of their own weakness to adapt and take advantage of an environment that offers them a great opportunity.

The fact Cunneyworth is willing to learn shows more brains than those who would want him out just because of the language he can't speak, especially when most here should know the language he does speak.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 04:31 AM
  #368
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The fact Cunneyworth is willing to learn shows more brains than those who would want him out just because of the language he can't speak, especially when most here should know the language he does speak.
On this issue he's victim of what we saw a million times in the past.It's far from the first time I read something like this without ever seeing the results.Fool me once , shame on you , fool me twice , shame on me.They can easily stick to the ''my french is getting better but not good enough to speak to journalist'' crap for a couple of years , but overall it's the same big **** you to french fans.


Last edited by Jafar: 12-19-2011 at 04:36 AM.
Jafar is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 04:55 AM
  #369
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You're extremely close-minded.

So... you don't want to meet anyone that doesn't speak French?

And here I thought opening up to multiple languages was a path to learning other cultures and meeting more people, widening the knowledge base available to me and making me aware of how little different we are at the core and how those different cultures and languages are just barriers blocking humans from a better understanding of each other.

You know why I learned both French and English as a child? Because my father thought it would help me have a better overall view of the world. Not just for business, but simply because I would have a lot more available to me, whether it came to meeting people, reading books, learning, watching movies/tv and yes, jobs too. I thank him for it, cause he could've simply settle on one of the two, but never did. When people who are born here can't tolerate an English-only coach, it's just a sign of their own weakness to adapt and take advantage of an environment that offers them a great opportunity.

The fact Cunneyworth is willing to learn shows more brains than those who would want him out just because of the language he can't speak, especially when most here should know the language he does speak.
never said that. I use 3 different languages on a (almost) daily basis, and sometimes a 4th (english - wich is the one I use the less)... so yeah... and besides, while I respect your point of view about the language and culture, I realized at some point that while it wasnt a waste to know english, it sure isnt the language that helped me talk to and make friends with travelers from around the world... some of them I still have, and friends I never use english with


You make it sound way more complex than it really is, there's no "opportunity" with an english-only coach for people who dont understand english...

now, you thinking people should learn english is something else, it has nothing to do with the current situation, reality is : (not all) fans dont understand english. Habs coach speak english only. The said fans don't like it. IT IS that simple.

you may think those person have no culture or that they're wrong thinking the way they do... but I sure hope Molson doesnt think that way... I mean, those fans are no wrong in buying Habs gear, or paying lots of $ for Habs ticks...




can mark my words, as mush as he pretend to be willing to learn, he will not. Be serious for a second here, how much free time do you think a NHL coach has... besides, it doesnt show brain, it shows he knows how to somewhat be media friendly.

ECWHSWI is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 05:09 AM
  #370
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
This is an incredibly insulting post , and an incredibly ironic one.

You realize the % of bilingual quebecois is probably way higher than english-canadians right? You also realize if you don't make favors to the fan , then no point in making favors for the coach.

Anyway , Roy said he'll listen , so he better receive a phone call soon.

What I see in there is a bunch of anglos defending Cunneyworth for all the wrong reasons , using him in their cause to try to shut up the hundreds of thousands if not millions ( debatable in that case ) of quebecois that would like their coach to be one of theirs and speak their language.Their strongest argument over the years was ''why does he need to speak french? you take the best man available''.No problem there.But when you have a Patrick Roy waiting for a phone call and you put Randy ****ing Cunneyworth out there it's just unacceptable.Sa passe pas.

You guys need to realize something , this is the quebecois ( or I should say French-Canadian ) team , sure there's a lot of anglophone fans , but this team was made for us , the name of the team is in french , the team has tradition and has more meaning than just a simple hockey club.It is part of our pride as french-canadian to have the most successful hockey team of all-time , led by french-canadian legends for the most part in every level of the organization.But again , there's some great anglophones that were part of this tradition and the vast majority of them speaks a little bit of french and were very important for the team.Just have to think about Dryden , Robinson ect...Is french harder to learn nowadays? I don't think so.

Le Club De Hockey Canadien was always fair with their anglo fans.These issues comes with the territory , the tradition was there way before you became a fan , so you have only yourself to blame if you can't understand it.
All the players, whether Québécois, Ontarian, Albertan, etc., American, or European speak English while only a handful speak French. Therefore, in addressing the team as a group the coach would have to speak English. Giving preference to a bilingual coach is OK with me so long as it isn't another Mario Tremblay, Michel Therrien, or Guy Carbonneau. I don't favor Patrick Roy because his "passion" seems to translate into hotheadedness. Ideally, it would be another Scott Bowman, who knows what he's doing at all times and when he speaks he doesn't shoot his mouth off. Too bad one of his disciples, Jacques Lemaire, isn't available.

Can the players be both majority francophone and dominant? I think that would be highly unlikely because there are 29 other teams and the worst of them would draft any Jean Béliveau or Mario Lemieux who comes along before it's the Habs' turn. As for giving preference to lesser Québécois players to fill the roster, it's necessary to bear in mind that the weaker teams pick ahead of the Habs in all seven rounds, not to mention that the development program in Québec is inferior to that in many other regions.

Teufelsdreck is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 05:13 AM
  #371
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post

couldnt be more wrong, no one learn english cause they think it's fun or exotic, most do cause they,re too insecure and dont believe they're good enough to make a living in a different language.

And while it may be important, the ONLY reason people learn english is for work/business.
Can't wait for Les Nordiques to come back so you can root for your true team. I hope they hire Mario Tremblay as coach, and Michel Bergeron and Jean Perron as water boys.


To you english is not fun or exotic...fair enough (it's your opinion) and is french Quebecois exotic and fun to learn? it's all opinions anyways. To me french from France or french from Tahiti (Pacific Islands) or french from Martinique (Carribean) is exotic (sounds exotic). French Quebecois is not exotic at all, imo (not even close).

IMO, french hardcore Quebecois separatists who force french on people should not have the right to listen to english music!! no Rolling Stones, no Beatles, no David Bowie, no english rap (just french rap), no Frank Sinatra, no Led Zeppelin, no Doors,etc, just Eric Lapointe, Cowboy Fringals and Harmonium all day/all week long!! ().

For the record...I'm perfectly bilingual but I'm ****ing sick of all the french debate. If a language is so great why do you have to FORCE it on people. Shouldn't people want to learn a language without being forced? The more you force people to learn french the more they will hate being forced. And if a language/culture is so great it will preserve by itself and not by forcing people to love it and learn the language. If french is so great then why push it on people with rules and laws? (so strict, mean and regime-like). There's something wrong if you feel the need to push/force it on people (ignorance, insecurity, fear of culture and language disappearing, etc).

Les Nordiques: can't wait for them to come back so all the hardcore french police language people can spend their time being miserable in Quebec City and leave Montreal to us non-insecure-about-french bilingual Hab fans (like myself!).


Last edited by Mr. Hab: 12-19-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Mr. Hab is online now  
Old
12-19-2011, 05:38 AM
  #372
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
All the players, whether Québécois, Ontarian, Albertan, etc., American, or European speak English while only a handful speak French. Therefore, in addressing the team as a group the coach would have to speak English. Giving preference to a bilingual coach is OK with me so long as it isn't another Mario Tremblay, Michel Therrien, or Guy Carbonneau. I don't favor Patrick Roy because his "passion" seems to translate into hotheadedness. Ideally, it would be another Scott Bowman, who knows what he's doing at all times and when he speaks he doesn't shoot his mouth off. Too bad one of his disciples, Jacques Lemaire, isn't available.

Can the players be both majority francophone and dominant? I think that would be highly unlikely because there are 29 other teams and the worst of them would draft any Jean Béliveau or Mario Lemieux who comes along before it's the Habs' turn. As for giving preference to lesser Québécois players to fill the roster, it's necessary to bear in mind that the weaker teams pick ahead of the Habs in all seven rounds, not to mention that the development program in Québec is inferior to that in many other regions.
Ahh the old French debate - it just never seems to get old. If we look at this the logical way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having an anglophone coach. The universal language in the world is English. That means that people like commercial airline pilots have to speak it no matter where they're from, and they're are many other professions like that as well. Hockey is no different. The majority of players speak English, and the ones who don't learn because they want to understand the coach. Now if the majority of players were Russian, then we'd be hiring Russian coaches and translators for the rest of us.

Hockey is a game about making money and entertaining fans (to make money). The best way to do that is to put the best product on the ice and behind the bench - not just because they speak a certain language. In fact I'd make such a bold statement to say, if you'd rather have a coach that speaks French than to have a winning team, then you're more interested in politics than the sport itself.

I work in an office where other people who do my job speak French, but I myself do not speak it that well. I was hired because I do my job well and because if needed, another person like me can speak French should the situation arise. This situation is no different. The Canadiens are so well known and heralded because they've won 24 Stanley Cups, not because they have a French team. So what is more important to the fans - being successful or speaking French? If you honestly think language is more important, then perhaps you should run for office within the Bloc Quebecquois.

BadHabit is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 07:18 AM
  #373
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 20,347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
No question about that but I think most hockey/Habs fans would not mind having a coach that does not speak french but when it comes to the Habs, its not only about. Of course if the media makes a poll, the population will rather have a bilingual coach.

I kinda feel bad for Cunneyworth, its gonna be hard on him. The whole province is already criticizing him, the media is on him and if the team continues to struggle, the fans are gonna be all over him. I would not be surprised to see a replacement before the season ends. The pressure will be too strong.
I concur.

In a way, Cunnyworth didn't deserve this.

Kirk Muller wouldn't have had that kind of problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Does history record a single instance in which the majority was correct?
Being correct or not is a subjective question (and totally irrelevant here).

MXD is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 07:19 AM
  #374
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Got my take on the language debate up on my site this morning:

http://www.yourcanadiens.info/2011/1...ach-speak.html

Looking at both sides of the issue and trying to clear up some misconceptions. Hope you enjoy!

Dan K is offline  
Old
12-19-2011, 07:26 AM
  #375
Jafar
Keep it logical
 
Jafar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,831
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
Ahh the old French debate - it just never seems to get old. If we look at this the logical way, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having an anglophone coach. The universal language in the world is English. That means that people like commercial airline pilots have to speak it no matter where they're from, and they're are many other professions like that as well. Hockey is no different. The majority of players speak English, and the ones who don't learn because they want to understand the coach. Now if the majority of players were Russian, then we'd be hiring Russian coaches and translators for the rest of us.

Hockey is a game about making money and entertaining fans (to make money). The best way to do that is to put the best product on the ice and behind the bench - not just because they speak a certain language. In fact I'd make such a bold statement to say, if you'd rather have a coach that speaks French than to have a winning team, then you're more interested in politics than the sport itself.

I work in an office where other people who do my job speak French, but I myself do not speak it that well. I was hired because I do my job well and because if needed, another person like me can speak French should the situation arise. This situation is no different. The Canadiens are so well known and heralded because they've won 24 Stanley Cups, not because they have a French team. So what is more important to the fans - being successful or speaking French? If you honestly think language is more important, then perhaps you should run for office within the Bloc Quebecquois.
We want our french team to be run by french people or people that proved their willingness to learn the culture and be a part of it.It's not just about the language.It's about being represented by ourselves and measuring ourselves to the world.It's about a sense of pride for a major part of the fanbase.

The truth is you can't be sure who is the best candidate , it's heavily based on opinions except in some rare cases where you have a Mike Babcok available , but those are not the norm.French canadians would prefer to take a chance with one of theirs , why is it so hard to understand?

Jafar is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.