HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cunneyworth named interim Head Coach/Carrière Assistant Coach

View Poll Results: What traits do you want for next coach?
Hire from within the organization 1 2.00%
Play offense and don't sit 20 40.00%
Must be bilingual 3 6.00%
Keep the defensive system 1 2.00%
Hire the best coach available 42 84.00%
Play in your face hockey w / forechecking 22 44.00%
Keep a fighter in the lineup and play him 5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I love how people on this board are suddenly waking up in 2011, as if they were realizing for the first time that French speaking culture was a factor in the team's management. That's awesomely funny and hypocrite.

If you're a fan of this team, then you also have to be a fan of what it represents. This team is a huge part in our cultural history and heritage, and if you cannot accept that, and if what you want is to cheer for a "normal hockey team", well good news : There are 29 teams like that.
Most of us here either have some connection to the city of Montreal or have been watching this team for years, as any organization as successful as the Habs is bound to have an international fanbase. I think history and loyalty to Montreal is as good a reason to be a Habs fan as speaking French, but that's just me. If you can see why anglophones and allophones would rather support the Canadiens than the Phoenix Coyotes, well you are entitled to your opinion.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Guillermo

Send a message via AIM to Guillermo Send a message via Yahoo to Guillermo
I love the fact that people are freaking out here! Where's that M. Jackson gif when you need it?

Old
Optimus Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Cunneyworth has to coach the people of Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean?
You're right, only people from Montreal should be allowed to be fans.

Old
deandebean

Went to Italy two years ago. Was shocked at the number of Italians who don't know ANY word of english.

Actually, I wasn't, because in reality, while english is the 'universal' language, many millions of euros don't speak it and don't care. Really.

As for the coach, what Molson just did is just plain stupid. He just threw his actually coach under the bus. Mouahahaha. Bad move. This reeks bad vibe in management. Should have left the presidency to a competent dude.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
The difference is that not everyone seems the team that way. The politically-charged side sees it that way, others (and I include myself in this) see it as the winningest franchise in NHL history needing to get back to winning, language be damned.

But good news: the Nordiques will be back soon enough. And all this crap will follow them there.
Then you are volontarily ignoring a huge part of this team history and heritage. History is not something that be selective with a pick only what fits your vision of it. You have to take it as a whole. The "Habs" were founded to be the French Canadians team. (they were called "CanadiEns" at this time, not Quebecers). The Maroons were the anglophone team. The French speaking emergence and awakening in Quebec is deeply linked with the success of French canadian players on the winningest team in the NHL history. You may not like it. But it's part of history and it's part of what the Montreal Canadiens is today.

Anglophones also are part of the Habs history. Because they integrated the team, accepted its history and traditions and learned to speak French.

And I'm sorry to say that, but anyone who rejects this History and denies the origin of this team is not a true Habs fan. As I said, there are 29 other "normal teams" for you.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:39 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Price View Post
You're right, only people from Montreal should be allowed to be fans.
You are missing the point. What does this have to do with the people of Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean, Montreal, Japan, Egypt, or Timbuktu. Cunneyworth is going to be coaching the guys on the ice.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Pretty ignorant thing to say. When the Nordiques come, will I be able to say the same thing to you?

You'd think the English played no part in shaping Montreal's culture.

I thought we were all on the same side, but I guess we're not. Some people would rather the Habs win under certain conditions...whereas others want to win no matter what.

That's it. We're in this together people. The Canadiens should be seen as a bridge between ALL Canadians.

If the coach can't speak francais who cares as long as the team wins.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Murky

Quote:
I love how people on this board are suddenly waking up in 2011, as if they were realizing for the first time that French speaking culture was a factor in the team's management. That's awesomely funny and hypocrite.

If you're a fan of this team, then you also have to be a fan of what it represents. This team is a huge part in our cultural history and heritage, and if you cannot accept that, and if what you want is to cheer for a "normal hockey team", well good news : There are 29 teams like that.
Funny thing. I started going to The Forum almost fourty years ago and now someone tells me I am the fan of a wrong team.

Newsflash: I care about this team being succesful. Free agency and even more importantly the salary cap has changed the world. Now it is professionalism on every level that rules the standings with the ever prominent luck and well timed streaks and such.

There is no room for secondary motives in a winning franchise. We can have the dramallama version of the Habs or the Team can start a slow and painful walk towards the modern day cut throat business like professional sports culture.

There is no third option C) both.

I am sorry. I wish there was and I know many people like to pretend that there is. But there isn't. The clown business surrounding the franchise will have to go, and the only way for it to go is for the fans to stop supporting it by buying into it.

There will be no #25 before that and even then it will be a rocky road with 30 teams in the league now. Who knows how many when the Habs are a real professional team again?

Last edited by Murky: 12-19-2011 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typos
Old
habitue*

This board DOESN'T reflect Quebec reality.

50% of the board members (Habs) have French as their first language BUT are bilingual.

Not the case for the whole Province.

Having a coach who can speak French (he doesn't have to be born in Quebec, nor have French as his first language) is just pure respect for the clientele (a majority of French spêaking people).

Is that so hard to understand ?

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Then you are volontarily ignoring a huge part of this team history and heritage. History is not something that be selective with a pick only what fits your vision of it. You have to take it as a whole. The "Habs" were founded to be the French Canadians team. (they were called "CanadiEns" at this time, not Quebecers). The Maroons were the anglophone team. The French speaking emergence and awakening in Quebec is deeply linked with the success of French canadian players on the winningest team in the NHL history. You may not like it. But it's part of history and it's part of what the Montreal Canadiens is today.

And I'm sorry to say that, but anyone who rejects this History and denies the origin of this team is not a true Habs fan. As I said, there are 29 other "normal teams" for you.
Okay there buddy, good to have you around to tell me that wanting my team to ****ing win games makes me not a real fan.

Guess I should be more like you and hope for a team filled with Quebecois players led by a Quebecois coach, even if they all suck and there's better people available. But as long as we've got that French identity, who cares, right?

Old
12-19-2011, 03:41 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post

Having a coach who can speak French (he doesn't have to be born in Quebec, nor have French as his first language) is just pure respect for the clientele (a majority of French spêaking people).

Is that so hard to understand ?
Is he coaching the clientele? If I am selling Molson directly to you, it would respectful to speak French, what difference does it make if a guy in the brewery, with whom you have no contact, does?

Old
12-19-2011, 03:42 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
... and when the international language of business is English, do you really think the reason employers care more about English in Canada is because they hate the French?
Obviously not. But the discrimination exists, and it roots in facts rather than bigotry. Doesnt make it any fairer.

Would you see a general auditor who only speak French? I promise you, he's gonna have all the documents translated so he can act to the best of his abilities.

Would you see a Supreme Court judge who only speak French? I promise you, he'll have all the legal documents submitted to him properly translated. I SWEAR he is the best for the job!

Yet we see these arguments thrown against us at the highest government levels. We ain't asking for a Quebec-domination of institutions, just to see people who can serve the French minority of this country in their own language when it's appropriate.

In Quebec, how hard is it to understand that the local environment makes it necessary to speak French when you deal with the local population and fanbase? It's not a "nice" elements to have, it's a requirement!

Why does a perfectly bilingual french, while working in Quebec, has to work in English because the guy hired over him only speaks English? You'd never see this happening the other way. You make French perpetually optional, even in the land where the majority of people ARE French.

Don't you get this existential worry the Quebec people have? You think we are a petty whiny people who just like to rant and protest? When we get so worked up about the defense of French, it's because we don't wanna die as a people, like some many cultures before us. It's happening, and that's what makes us so **** scared.

It start by making a stand about symbols. The Montreal Canadien, being a shining example of French-Canadian pride, is one of them.

Old
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Went to Italy two years ago. Was shocked at the number of Italians who don't know ANY word of english.

Actually, I wasn't, because in reality, while english is the 'universal' language, many millions of euros don't speak it and don't care. Really.

As for the coach, what Molson just did is just plain stupid. He just threw his actually coach under the bus. Mouahahaha. Bad move. This reeks bad vibe in management. Should have left the presidency to a competent dude.
Italy = a nation of 60 million people, whose closest neighbours speak German and French.

Québec = a nation of 8 million people, whose neighbours speak English.

I agree that English speakers tend arrogantly and ignorantly assume everyone in the world speaks English when it's far from the case, but there's a big difference here. A better comparison to Québec would be Sweden, a a nation of 9 million where virtually everyone is perfectly bilingual - the average guy in Stockholm probably speaks better English than the average Canadian.

Old
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
I really hope Molson gives an honest chance to Cunneyworth. He's here. Let's see what he can do...

I don't object to a unilingual coach as a dogma. I just don't like how the initial message was crafted to francophones...

For the record, my wife is from the Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean area. She never spoke French until she was 12. Both her parents don't understand English... The Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean is isolated from anything else, and everyone speaks French all the time... It's still a market of almost 300 000 people that shouldn't be neglected.
Just wondering how the other parts of the entertainment industry operate in this environment. If Brad Pitt is filming a movie in Montreal and there's a chance to have a sit-down chat, or if Lady Gaga is doing an interview before a concert, what happens? Or do I overestimate the interest in these people?

Old
12-19-2011, 03:43 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Is he coaching the clientele?
He is the primary link with the clientele. It is certainly NOT Darche nor DD...

The habs coach is as important - if not more- than the Quebec Prime Minister in Quebec.

The guy is in the news almost 365 days a year.

So...

Old
12-19-2011, 03:44 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Italy = a nation of 60 million people, whose closest neighbours speak German and French.

Québec = a nation of 8 million people, whose neighbours speak English.

I agree that English speakers tend arrogantly and ignorantly assume everyone in the world speaks English when it's far from the case, but there's a big difference here. A better comparison to Québec would be Sweden, a a nation of 9 million where virtually everyone is perfectly bilingual - the average guy in Stockholm probably speaks better English than the average Canadian.
French is more spoken around the World than Swedish.

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
He is the primary link with the clientele. It is certainly NOT Darche nor DD...

The habs coach is as important - if not more- than the Quebec Prime Minister in Quebec.

The guy is in the news almost 365 days a year.

So...
He speaks to the media, not to the clientele. The media is the mouthpiece for the clientele. The media understands English. The media speaks in English to players. Why can't the media then speak in English to the coach?

Old
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky View Post
Funny thing. I started going to The Forum almost fourty years ago and now someone tells me I am the fan of a wrong team.

Newsflash: I care about this team being succesful. Free agency and even more importantly the salary cap has changed the world. Now it is professionalism on every level that rules the standings with the ever prominent luck and well timed streaks and such.

There is no room for secondary motives in a winning franchise. We can have the dramallama version of the Habs or the Team can start a slow and painful walk towards the modern day cut throat business like professional sports culture.

There is no third option C) both.

I am sorry. I wish there was and I know many people like to pretend that there is. But there isn't. The clown business surrounding the franchise will have to go, and the only way for it to go is for the fans to stop supporting it by buying into it.

There will be no #25 before that and even then it will be a rocky road with 30 teams in the league now. Who knows how many when the Habs are a real professional team again?
So you're telling that for 40 years, you've been a fan of a team that makes you angry anytime they hire a French speaking coach, GM or trade for French speaking players? My god, you must be a masochist.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Is he coaching the clientele? If I am selling Molson directly to you, it would respectful to speak French, what difference does it make if a guy in the brewery, with whom you have no contact, does?
Why do you think to coach have a post-game scrum with the journalist every night? He is coaching the journalist?

Old
Optimus Price

Quote:
You are missing the point. What does this have to do with the people of Saguenay-Lac-St-Jean, Montreal, Japan, Egypt, or Timbuktu. Cunneyworth is going to be coaching the guys on the ice.
As far as I can tell, I hear him on the TV every day. I'd say I could be classified as the clientele, while the players would be his employees.

Quote:
Is he coaching the clientele?

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Okay there buddy, good to have you around to tell me that wanting my team to ****ing win games makes me not a real fan.

Guess I should be more like you and hope for a team filled with Quebecois players led by a Quebecois coach, even if they all suck and there's better people available. But as long as we've got that French identity, who cares, right?
Are we sucking right now WITHOUT (almost) no French Quebec born players aboard ? YES we are.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:46 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

Anglophones also are part of the Habs history. Because they integrated the team, accepted its history and traditions and learned to speak French.

Things change. We're in 2011. This organization needs to make a big decision here. Do they want to cater to the people like you and put winning on the backburner, or do they want to be the best team in the league and leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of building the best team possible.

Can't cater to all groups.

Old
andy28

Quote:
So you're telling that for 40 years, you've been a fan of a team that makes you angry anytime they hire a French speaking coach, GM or trade for French speaking players? My god, you must be a masochist.
We do hire French coaches. How many boycotts have you seen over that? People are just asking that some people show some sanity and not riot over the language of a guy whose job is to tell a bunch of hockey players how to play hockey.

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Are we sucking right now WITHOUT (almost) no French Quebec born players aboard ? YES we are.
Are you implying that the only way to stop this so-called suckage is to get more French born players, or am I just misunderstanding you here?

Old
12-19-2011, 03:47 PM
habitue*

Quote:
He speaks to the media, not to the clientele. The media is the mouthpiece for the clientele. The media understands English. The media speaks in English to players. Why can't the media then speak in English to the coach?
WOW ! You really don't get it... and don't want to understand.

Normal. I guess.

Closed Thread