HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cunneyworth named interim Head Coach/Carrière Assistant Coach

View Poll Results: What traits do you want for next coach?
Hire from within the organization 1 2.00%
Play offense and don't sit 20 40.00%
Must be bilingual 3 6.00%
Keep the defensive system 1 2.00%
Hire the best coach available 42 84.00%
Play in your face hockey w / forechecking 22 44.00%
Keep a fighter in the lineup and play him 5 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2011, 03:51 PM
  #176
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
Most interesting part for me :
“We have to get back to doing things the players are capable of …” – Randy Cunneyworth
And that they ll work on speed, skills hard work (and hopefully better puck possession management.)
That s what I wanted to hear today, and ultimately I think that s what was-still is, the nerve of the problem, JM system wasnt adapting his style to the players but wanted it the other way around, now it has to go both way, because players cant just choose how they want to play it has to be within a system, but it all has to balance, and it wasnt balancing at all with JM.
Man i hope he really means it .I think that shows JM trying to make players do it his way , instead of using the players strengths .

Habaneros is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
  #177
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
The same Thrashers that are now in Winnipeg ?
Why make a comment like this?

The guy was simply giving us his opinion of his former assistant coach. Nothing wrong with that. Just because his team is no longer located in Atlanta, it doesn't all of a sudden make his opinion less valid.

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
  #178
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
I don't really care all that much who coaches this team, I just want to see them win.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
  #179
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,583
vCash: 500
ENGLISH CANADA CAN REJOICE WE SCORED A VICTORY TODAY!!!

we have invaded the francophone territoriy and stole one of their sacred jobs.


I really do hope this means in the future, they'll hire the best coach available. I have no problem if he speaks french like Patrick Roy. My point is language should be a non issue and the organization has given a sign that its willing to work in that direction. Even if its only in the interim for now, it still says a lot.


Last edited by macavoy: 12-17-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: put smiley in since you can't read sarcasm
macavoy is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 03:55 PM
  #180
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
He wasn't trying to be insulting or anything.
Maybe you are right. I just took it wrong i guess.

I really like Cunnyworth.

So basically i apologize to the dude from Atlanta....It was uncalled for !

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:00 PM
  #181
UnkleRuckus
Registered User
 
UnkleRuckus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[pS]=1238536800&tx_ttnews[pL]=2591999&tx_ttnews[arc]=1&tx_ttnews[backPid]=187&cHash=8f2e23663c

THE NEXT HABS COACH, DUDE IS BAWSS

UnkleRuckus is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:04 PM
  #182
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrest View Post
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[pS]=1238536800&tx_ttnews[pL]=2591999&tx_ttnews[arc]=1&tx_ttnews[backPid]=187&cHash=8f2e23663c

THE NEXT HABS COACH, DUDE IS BAWSS
But does he fight and speak french ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:08 PM
  #183
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Any head coaching hire in Montreal who doesn't learn to speak-in due course-passable French is ridiculous. If he isn't bright enough or motivated enough to learn to speak another language, then he's probably not the man for the job.
Whoa!! There are lots of bright people and bright coaches who can only speak one language.

Quote:
The lack of respect for the heritage of this franchise on this board is appalling.
What makes you more important than an English speaking fan, a Russian speaking fan, or a Swedish speaking fan?

HCH is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:11 PM
  #184
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st
 
Habsfan2992's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrest View Post
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[pS]=1238536800&tx_ttnews[pL]=2591999&tx_ttnews[arc]=1&tx_ttnews[backPid]=187&cHash=8f2e23663c

THE NEXT HABS COACH, DUDE IS BAWSS
Already mentioned 2 pages ago

Habsfan2992 is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:12 PM
  #185
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,710
vCash: 500
Maybe this is just lips service i dunno, but if for any reason PG is still in Montreal next year, this is his vision

Quote:
Gauthier said Cunneyworth would work on his French, and that he hopes he will be able to keep him in the job next season. He said " language can be learned."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382950

Habaneros is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:17 PM
  #186
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Cunneyworth is horrible. Remember when Montreal was tooling the Thrashers year after year?

I'm really feeling for you guys right now.
Montreal wasn't very successful with him as an assistant coach either, however he has had a lot of success as a head coach. Maybe it was the guys he was working for and not Cunneyworth that was the problem.

We have to be careful about what kind of conclusions we draw.

HCH is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:17 PM
  #187
Not The One
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montréal, Qc.
Posts: 1,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Are you trying to insinuate that the more bilingual a coach, or the more a coach speaks french the more inherently qualified he is for the position?

All anyone is saying, despite the clumsy wording, is that the most qualified person will not always be a french speaker. To suggest that they will be would be nationalistic at best, and xenophobic at worst. We would like to hire the most qualified people. But because of people like you we can't.

That's the issue.
The issue is that choosing a HC is always very very very subjective. To imply that because the Habs have generally preferred bilingual candidates they have had substandard coaching is both insulting and contrary to the facts.

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Jacques Demers: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist
Jacques Martin: SC finalist, Adams winner

Mike Nykoluk: ?
Dan Maloney: ?
John Brophy: ?
George Armstrong: ?
Doug Carpenter: ?
Tom Watt: ?
Par Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Mike Murphy: ?
Pat Quinn: SC finalist, Adams winner
Paul Maurice: SC finalist
Ron Wilson: SC finalist

I'll choose the Habs' candidates over the Leafs, whose best coach was, actually, bilingual himself.

Not The One is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:17 PM
  #188
FiveForDrawingBlood
Registered User
 
FiveForDrawingBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,477
vCash: 500
i think cunneyworth be long term coach. no big names available. best choices gone now in muller and boucher

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:19 PM
  #189
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
The issue is that choosing a HC is always very very very subjective. To imply that because the Habs have generally preferred bilingual candidates they have had substandard coaching is both insulting and contrary to the facts.

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Jacques Demers: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist
Jacques Martin: SC finalist, Adams winner

Mike Nykoluk: ?
Dan Maloney: ?
John Brophy: ?
George Armstrong: ?
Doug Carpenter: ?
Tom Watt: ?
Par Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Mike Murphy: ?
Pat Quinn: SC finalist, Adams winner
Paul Maurice: SC finalist
Ron Wilson: SC finalist

I'll choose the Habs' candidates over the Leafs, whose best coach was, actually, bilingual himself.
Stop with those facts. French coach can never be the best man available. Same people who says "I don't care if he speaks chinese" will CLEARLY say, if we pick a franco, that "We picked him because he speaks french". So for those guys, french is not even a language.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:21 PM
  #190
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou
 
Myron Gaines*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,391
vCash: 500
If we start to win a lot of games, I don't care who's behind the bench. It's as simple as that for me.

Myron Gaines* is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:30 PM
  #191
martinhas2go
Registered User
 
martinhas2go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
If we start to win a lot of games, I don't care who's behind the bench. It's as simple as that for me.
same here...

martinhas2go is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:31 PM
  #192
couris
Registered User
 
couris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,988
vCash: 500
we need a french speaking coach, no doubt.

couris is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:32 PM
  #193
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
The issue is that choosing a HC is always very very very subjective. To imply that because the Habs have generally preferred bilingual candidates they have had substandard coaching is both insulting and contrary to the facts.
I'll start considering your argument further when you decide to take my statement for what it is, not whatever sort of message you wish to infer from it.

Absolutely, there have been times where the most qualified person was franco. There will be times when they are not.

If you say that you would hire a unilingual Anglo coach because he was the best candidate, then we're done here.

Something tells me you won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Stop with those facts. French coach can never be the best man available. Same people who says "I don't care if he speaks chinese" will CLEARLY say, if we pick a franco, that "We picked him because he speaks french". So for those guys, french is not even a language.
No one has ever said this. And you know better.

NotProkofievian is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:37 PM
  #194
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
we need a french speaking coach, no doubt.
Got bad news for ya.

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:37 PM
  #195
Andros777
Registered User
 
Andros777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 691
vCash: 500
It'd be cool if they got Patrick Roy at the end of the year. That guy doesn't mind pissing people off.

Andros777 is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:40 PM
  #196
The Price is Right
Registered User
 
The Price is Right's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
The language issue was created by Pierre Boivin who said that this team needs a coach who also speaks french.

Maybe now with Geoff Molson it has changed and it does not matter.

The Price is Right is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:40 PM
  #197
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Maybe this is just lips service i dunno, but if for any reason PG is still in Montreal next year, this is his vision




http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382950
Gauthier just basically said that Cunneyworth's future as head coach depends on him learning french or not.

Fish on The Sand is online now  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
  #198
Lucky Luke
Registered User
 
Lucky Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,224
vCash: 500
The Habs should hire Matthew Barnaby as an assistant coach.
He knows Cunneyworth very well, is fluently bilingual and could handle the press conference duties.
That way, he could tell Réjean Tremblay and Pat Hickey to **** off in both official languages.

Lucky Luke is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 04:45 PM
  #199
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Gauthier just basically said that Cunneyworth's future as head coach depends on him learning french or not.
Quote:
Gauthier said Cunneyworth would work on his French, and that he hopes he will be able to keep him in the job next season. He said "a language can be learned."
Yeah, I didn't get that impression at all. I think he was simply stating that right now Cunneyworth is the guy, and that he's hoping the teams play improves with the change. And if it does, he'll stay on as head coach.

The language thing, he was just basically saying that Randy will work on his french, and was stating the obvious, that a language "can be learned."

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
12-17-2011, 05:22 PM
  #200
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
HAHA, RDS just showed some tape of Cunnyworth when he coached in Rochester, there was a guy on the bench to his left....**** i would run seeing him in a dark alley.

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.