HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Dmitry Orlov?

Old
11-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Metalliben

vCash: 500
Dmitry Orlov?

Hi guys!

What can you tell about Orlov's play after 5 games with the pro?

Thanks!

Last edited by Langway: 12-20-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Metalliben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:41 AM
DCRedhawk21

Pleasantly surprised

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:54 AM
Bonzai

Arguably our second best Dman during that span, not that that is saying all that much. He's been solid.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 07:58 AM
txpd

i think he has been pro all season.
i think he has shown why he was chosen and highly thought of and he has shown that he is young, inexperienced and not locked in to a roster spot.
the second best d comment has to be frustration talking because it hasnt been true.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Bonzai

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the second best d comment has to be frustration talking because it hasnt been true.
Other than Alzner, who has been better since Orlov was brought up? Maybe Carlson, but he's made some fairly major mistakes that stick out, but the offense makes up for that I guess.

Just my opinion and being pleasantly surprised with how he's played. I certainly think he's easily been better in his own zone than Wideman, Hamrlik and Schultz.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

imo, the guy should stay with the big club regardless if and when Green comes back. i'm not gonna get in on: does he or dos he not look like our 2nd best D-man, but i am gonna say that yesterday against St Lois he looked better then any Caps defenseman... Confident and creative with the puck, even thou in one instance he got a little too cute in our own zone, but the most important thing to me is that more times than not he wins board battles, which at this point in the season our players forgot how to do...
p.s. oh... almost forgot; that boy knows how to hit.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

It'll be more telling to see how he plays when the rest of the team is doing well. To see whether he gets over-aggressive when he should be locking it down with the lead, to see how he does with serious PP time, etc.

I'm not going to say "never send him back to the AHL" but if he can maintain the level of play he has so far I wouldn't be at all uncomfortable with him sticking.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I've been pleasantly surprised with the quality of his play, but not as dough-eyed about it as some around here. He still has a lot of work to do on his defensive zone coverage. He's too reactive in the defensive zone, and will sometimes take himself out of proper position chasing the puck.

He'll get plenty of time in the NHL this season, but another stint in Hershey wouldn't be the worst thing for him or the Capitals. Though he's definitely shown that he's capable of playing in the NHL and doesn't drag the team down.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:13 AM
txpd

i have been seeing a guy that is having his minutes managed and not seeing much competition from the opposition. i am just keeping a level head about it. if the guy had been hosed down a couple times by top offensive talent and made to look like the baby defense that he is, it would be a more balanced set of data to look at.

last night he had one nice offensive rush with the puck that showed some elite level skill.
that rush was finished with a blind pass into the high slot which was a hideous turnover. both ends of the stick in one 10 second sample.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:15 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I was happy on the conservative side, but last night he showed some danglesauce that had me more excited.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Bure

vCash: 50
He's been good, looks confident out there.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 08:39 PM
n3ss

I'm sore that this guy isn't in NHL 12.....

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 09:58 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Looks good, but hoping other guys force him back down to Hershey.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Halpysback

I remember scouting him hardcore before the draft. Singing his praises all over the place over here back then. Thought he'd be gone by early 2nd at least, completely awestruck that he fell all the way to the 50s and Mafki actually took him of all people. Thought that Johansson pick was another Gustafsson too, with the multiple concussions and whatnot, that Josefson was the real swedish center to watch out for. Man am I happy to be wrong about that.

NBTW called Eakin too. Good times. I miss drafts when they were so straightforward. Now we get Rocco Grimaldis and **** all over the place.

He'll probably go back down, but I think he should be given a legitimate opportunity to outplay Schultz and Hamrlik and stick if he does so. Could pay off handsomely. Him and Carlson are gonna be a deadly pairing one day.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Dirtbag59

Only healthy D-man that can effectively move the puck out of the zone on a regular basis.

His dangling act last night was a sight for sore eyes.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:06 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I remember scouting him hardcore before the draft. Singing his praises all over the place over here back then. Thought he'd be gone by early 2nd at least, completely awestruck that he fell all the way to the 50s and Mafki actually took him of all people. Thought that Johansson pick was another Gustafsson too, with the multiple concussions and whatnot, that Josefson was the real swedish center to watch out for. Man am I happy to be wrong about that.

NBTW called Eakin too. Good times. I miss drafts when they were so straightforward. Now we get Rocco Grimaldis and **** all over the place.

He'll probably go back down, but I think he should be given a legitimate opportunity to outplay Schultz and Hamrlik and stick if he does so. Could pay off handsomely. Him and Carlson are gonna be a deadly pairing one day.
He's already outplaying Schultz and Hamrlik.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 11:09 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

He's probably not totally ready for prime time, but the level of his game already is exciting. It sure looks like he's on pace for accelerated development, relative to the normal progression.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 10:22 AM
bags92

He's surprised me so far. I didn't think he'd be this good this early. As of now he's one of our best defenseman. I love how physical he is, he moves the puck real well, he's an excelent skater, and he looks real confident with the puck on his stick. Sometimes a little too confident, he does take some risks but none have come back to bite him so far. And to be perfectly honest I don't see why we'd send him back to Hershey, he's been better than Hamrlik, Wideman and Schultz. Until that changes I think he belongs with the big club.

bags92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I just wanted to bump this and ask again what Capitals fans are thinking about Orlov thus far. He seems to be creating out there but how has his overall game been?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:03 PM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I just wanted to bump this and ask again what Capitals fans are thinking about Orlov thus far. He seems to be creating out there but how has his overall game been?
Once that shot starts hitting the twine he will be all set. Love this kids moves and vision.

Capathetic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
amjay13

He's been very good and shouldn't spend another day in Hershey.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Where would you guys rate his offensive acumen as compared to say, Mike Green's first season? How about in his own zone? I figure that it would be best to ask the guys who have seen both players develop. At the same age, how would you compare the two in all zones?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Hmm....Green only had 68 shots in his first season of 70 games. He blew up next year putting 234 shots on goal. Orlov is trending slightly behind Green's first year pace. He seems hesitant to shoot right now. He'll gain more confidence and I expect will be encouraged to shoot a ton as half of our other D have a hard time getting off a decent point shot and he's got a cannon.

Hard to remember Green back then, but Orlov seems surprisingly safe in his own end.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:37 AM
usiel

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Where would you guys rate his offensive acumen as compared to say, Mike Green's first season? How about in his own zone? I figure that it would be best to ask the guys who have seen both players develop. At the same age, how would you compare the two in all zones?
Doesn't have the foot speed that Green has but, IMHO, has the same offensive acumen. Its early but man he he see the offensive play before it happens. Always the thing one can't teach an offensive dman. His heady play is keeping him in the lineup. He might hit the rookie wall but we'll see.

12-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

He's still growing in his defensive coverage, and is already adapting to his second NHL system. You can see the mistakes, but playing with Hamrlik has actually helped cover those up (as shocking as that sentence sounds).

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote